• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Foregrip hand- palm or V?

BigBrother

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2007
New England
So I'm studying/practicing more and more in highpower competition and general marksmanship, and just started closely examining my left hand positioning, both on my M1A and my AR (I'm a righty, so this would be my foregrip hand.)

Naturally I thought, when I first started shooting, that you grip a rifle like a coke bottle- stock pressed to the palm, fingers wrapped around. But after reading both an M1A manual and the Marine Corps M16 one, it seems the webbed V between the thumb and index finger are ideal,with the other fingers basically just free floating or resting on the stock. I started practicing with this and it definitely feels more stable.

So, thoughts? It seems to me for quicker or more close in work, you would want a palm and fingers grip, since you need to turn more quickly, but for steadier shots, it's V all the way. Also, does it change for you guys with position?

Thanks,
BB

Re: Foregrip hand- palm or V?

For AR15 style rifles:
If you're talking about prone, especially sling supported, I find the V to be the best for me. I try to relax my non-shooting hand as much as possible, along with the rest of my body - use the sling and your skeleton to full advantage. Wrapping my fingers around the handguards does not allow me to do this.
As for offhand, I support the magazine (straight mag) with my palm and fingers going to the left (inverted grip of sorts), again with my hand as relaxed as possible.
Of course this is all to try to be as accurate as possible at long range. In a rattle battle type of match I think things may be different, but I have no idea as I have never done one of those.

Re: Foregrip hand- palm or V?

Yeah, you raise a good point- I guess I mean "practical" long distance or combat long distance- I know firsthand that CMP/NRA highpower can call for all sorts of contorted positioning. I guess when I do this I try to train for practical, but still calm and balanced, shooting. So I'm really asking- what does the Corps teach as far as foregrip hand for long distance?