• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster Benchrest Seating dies

matchbook454

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2019
N.E. IL
Any of you guys have experience with these? I just ordered a Lee Collet die and am trying to decide on a seating die. Is it worth the money? Thought about just a regular RCBS or Hornady but am having trouble finding just a seating die as most of those come in 2 or 3 die sets. And I don’t think I need a micrometer type seating die at the moment?

Any of you guys have experience with these? I just ordered a Lee Collet die and am trying to decide on a seating die. Is it worth the money? Thought about just a regular RCBS or Hornady but am having trouble finding just a seating die as most of those come in 2 or 3 die sets. And I don’t think I need a micrometer type seating die at the moment?

I didn't think I needed a micrometer seating die until I started doing seating adjustments on my loads.

I use one for my 6Creedmoor loads (the only thing I currently load for) and love it. Its cheaper than the Redding and very similar.
My seating stem is unmodified and I seat Hybrid Berger's with consistent base to ojive measurements (usually +/- .0005").

+1 for getting the micrometer version!

Excellent dies you can’t go wrong with a Forster. Get the 2 die set a full length die comes in handy.

The BR seating die comes with a seating stem for BR bullets. The micrometer seating die comes with a VLD seating stem.

They're more than worth it. And you'll appreciate the micrometer especially when you try different bullets. They make life easier. Do it.

I’ve got two of the micro seater dies one in 6dasher and the other in 6creed. They are very consistent with the seating depth, easy to adjust to get the right length and allow you to play around with different bullets with out getting spun out trying to get back to your starting point.

I think Forster has the best value in seating dies out there. I own micrometer seating does from RCBS, Redding, Whidden and Forster and the Forster is the cheapest of the bunch and they are every bit as high quality and precise and the others. The ammo the Forster dies produce is very concentric. As long as Forster makes the die I want I buy Forster.

Just bought a used Forster seating die with the Micrometer. I have a Lee collet die coming too. Just need a bullet comparator and Oal gage and I can start loading. Will get a FL and or Body sizing die soon down the road. Thanks for all the help guys?

another +1 on the Forster.

I have the micrometer for my .223 and the non-micrometer bench rest seater for my 6.5cm, as well as a full length resizer that I had honed by Forster to 0.0035 under

I'm gearing up to load 6.5CM on my 550. I will only have one load for my Bergara HMP Pro that will emulate Hornady ELDM 140. Would you still recommend that I get the micrometer die?

I d
I'm gearing up to load 6.5CM on my 550. I will only have one load for my Bergara HMP Pro that will emulate Hornady ELDM 140. Would you still recommend that I get the micrometer die?

I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary, it’s just nice to have. It didn’t justify the price difference when I bought it. For me, the micrometer seater is nice when you do load development and run a seating depth test.
Maybe someone else has more extensive experience.

I d

I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary, it’s just nice to have. It didn’t justify the price difference when I bought it. For me, the micrometer seater is nice when you do load development and run a seating depth test.
Maybe someone else has more extensive experience.
Thanks for your response.

I'm gearing up to load 6.5CM on my 550.

If you're new to loading precision on the 550 I recommend looking around at ways to improve the way you run the 550. There are some minor things you can do that can help improve performance. I'd also pay close attention to what lube you use on the main shaft, as well as your consistency with physically operating the handle and the "feel" of the press when seating bullets, etc.

Other things you can do:
1.) If resizing on the press, either have a die adjacent to the resizing die that takes some force (mandrel/seater/etc) to offset the resize force. Or you can put a powder die and screw it all the way until it touches the shellplate, so it offsets any shellplate forces enacted by the resizing operation.
2.) If you're going to use the Dillon powder measure (which you can), use a good baffle, and polish the entire inside of the measure (and powder bar) in your tumbler for a couple hours with polish.
3.) Always set up your dies with cases in every position being used, especially with seating and resizing. The other positions can mildly change the seating depth or shoulder set back, etc.

Heres a good article I've used ... (excluding the Prometheus lol)

Attachments

• Accurizing Dillon RL550 .pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
Reactions: rybern
If you're new to loading precision on the 550 I recommend looking around at ways to improve the way you run the 550. There are some minor things you can do that can help improve performance. I'd also pay close attention to what lube you use on the main shaft, as well as your consistency with physically operating the handle and the "feel" of the press when seating bullets, etc.

Other things you can do:
1.) If resizing on the press, either have a die adjacent to the resizing die that takes some force (mandrel/seater/etc) to offset the resize force. Or you can put a powder die and screw it all the way until it touches the shellplate, so it offsets any shellplate forces enacted by the resizing operation.
2.) If you're going to use the Dillon powder measure (which you can), use a good baffle, and polish the entire inside of the measure (and powder bar) in your tumbler for a couple hours with polish.
3.) Always set up your dies with cases in every position being used, especially with seating and resizing. The other positions can mildly change the seating depth or shoulder set back, etc.

Heres a good article I've used ... (excluding the Prometheus lol)
I really appreciate the info. I'm beginning to think having one more press(a single stage) on my bench is starting to look appealing, LOL.

I really appreciate the info. I'm beginning to think having one more press(a single stage) on my bench is starting to look appealing, LOL.

Just get another 550! hahaha... You could always get a BL 550 (basic model). They're like $300 and you could use it as a brass prep machine

Honestly though thats never a bad idea. You could get a Rock Chucker, then you also have something to compare your results against. Or something like a T7 if you got the cash.

Just get another 550! hahaha... You could always get a BL 550 (basic model). They're like $300 and you could use it as a brass prep machine

Honestly though thats never a bad idea. You could get a Rock Chucker, then you also have something to compare your results against. Or something like a T7 if you got the cash.
I have a 550 and a SDB. I had a Lee Classic Cast that I never used once I bought the 550 in 2014. So after 6 years I decided to sell the single stage earlier this year because I thought I'd never load PR...... now I need one. The Lee Classic Cast was a very nice press.

Reactions: Gustav7
I do wish i would have spent a little more money and purchased the micrometer option on my 6.5x47 die. I purchased the micrometer seating die for the 6.5 Cr and in comparison i found it to be a nice feature to have.

I called Forster and they do offer the micrometer portion to upgrade the standard seating die..... but if i recall it was a bit more costly than i'd hoped.

I have a Forster micrometer seating die. Works great and no complaints but I like my Widden versiona little better cuz' I'm just like that I guess. Either will serve you very well!

I do wish i would have spent a little more money and purchased the micrometer option on my 6.5x47 die. I purchased the micrometer seating die for the 6.5 Cr and in comparison i found it to be a nice feature to have.

I called Forster and they do offer the micrometer portion to upgrade the standard seating die..... but if i recall it was a bit more costly than i'd hoped.
Funny, I just purchased the benchrest die due to reading enough folks saying that once you have a load, you really don't need the micro. Being a machinist, the micro would feel right at home with me. Can you adjust the direction that the scale faces on the micro die? Can you re-zero the micro setting?

i embarrassed to say that i haven't played with it all that much...i have a single stage Forster Co-Ax and the locking ring is round so i just rotate the die as a unit in the press if need be and the scale faces me. I didn't really think to try re-setting the die as i set it for a certain COTB and since then have only been dialing it up or down a couple of clicks as i worked up an optimal seating depth.

here's the instruction sheet if that helps: https://www.forsterproducts.com/pdf/instructions/ultra_micrometer_seater_die.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: rybern
i embarrassed to say that i haven't played with it all that much...i have a single stage Forster Co-Ax and the locking ring is round so i just rotate the die as a unit in the press if need be and the scale faces me. I didn't really think to try re-setting the die as i set it for a certain COTB and since then have only been dialing it up or down a couple of clicks as i worked up an optimal seating depth.

here's the instruction sheet if that helps: https://www.forsterproducts.com/pdf/instructions/ultra_micrometer_seater_die.pdf
Thanks. I noticed that about the Co-Ax press and wondered if they didn't consider other presses. The Co-Ax looks like a super nice press.

I got a refund for the bench rest die and ordered a micrometer die. :p It was the same Ebay seller.

They're good, but honestly I sold mine due to personal issues I had. I went with a MEC marksman using the Hornady lnl quick change die bushings. Press already has a floating shell holder. I have less runout on this setup vs the Co-Ax.
Cool to hear that. I have a Lee Classic Cast and considered the lnl bushings. Are they considered ok for PR loads?

Get a Lee Dead Length bullet seating die. Use it awhile, since it's real cheap, then consider buying the Forster if you want to spend more money. I seat initially with the Forster, to establish alignment, then seat the final 8-10 thou with the Lee seater, since it provides the absolute best consistency of seating depth, when measuring the base-to-ogive to validate seating depth. I haven't ever checked to see whether the Lee is any less precise with regard to runout, since my runout is never the issue with my loads.

I have no issues loading precision ammo with a lnl bushing setup.
Good to hear.
Get a Lee Dead Length bullet seating die. Use it awhile, since it's real cheap, then consider buying the Forster if you want to spend more money. I seat initially with the Forster, to establish alignment, then seat the final 8-10 thou with the Lee seater, since it provides the absolute best consistency of seating depth, when measuring the base-to-ogive to validate seating depth. I haven't ever checked to see whether the Lee is any less precise with regard to runout, since my runout is never the issue with my loads.
I have purchased Forster FLS and Micro seater.

Good to hear.

I have purchased Forster FLS and Micro seater.

I would definitely send your sizer back to Forster to have it honed. Its pretty cool and works my Starline brass quite a bit less each sizing, about half as much if I remember correctly.

LNL die bushing kit ordered.

I would definitely send your sizer back to Forster to have it honed. Its pretty cool and works my Starline brass quite a bit less each sizing, about half as much if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen honing the sizer come up in other threads with mixed comments. I might need to take a look into that.

LNL die bushing kit ordered.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen honing the sizer come up in other threads with mixed comments. I might need to take a look into that.

Mixed comments really? what were some of the complaints?

Mixed comments really? what were some of the complaints?

Reactions: Gustav7