• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fort Worth Area Pile Up

Can't stand when it's adverse weather conditions in Texas, Most of the people can't drive when it rains much less if it's icy. At least that's the case and the bigger city, rural country that's not so bad

Reactions: The D
Buddy of mine was driving to work one day. Two lane highway. It’s a sheet of ice. Everyone is doing good going slow, maintaining distance. Here comes this lady flying by everybody. Few miles down the road there she is slid off in the ditch. Buddy pulls over, gets out and asks if she is alright. She is. Then he asks if she needs help. She says yes that would be nice. He says well if you wouldn’t drive like such an idiot you would need help. Got back in his car and drove off.😂

Perfect recipe for disaster. Inexperience and black ice, terrible situation. I grew up at 7000' in the mountains and have driven on ice and snow all my life. Not once in my life have I ever seen an ice storm or freezing rain. We just don't get that here in WY. Spots of black ice, yeah, but entire roads of black ice? I couldn't imagine. I saw a video of a girl ice skating in Oklahoma down her road. WTF???

Perfect recipe for disaster. Inexperience and black ice, terrible situation. I grew up at 7000' in the mountains and have driven on ice and snow all my life. Not once in my life have I ever seen an ice storm or freezing rain. We just don't get that here in WY. Spots of black ice, yeah, but entire roads of black ice? I couldn't imagine. I saw a video of a girl ice skating in Oklahoma down her road. WTF???​

black ice

That's Racist!

But ya, that stuff is evil fucking evil. One minute you're gtg, next thing ya know you're going down the road backwards. Crazy shit.

Any of you folks in central Texas, pay attention. I grew up driving in this shit and you go low and slow. Lots of people around here think that the speed limit is only a suggestion and don't even know how to drive in the rain let alone freezing rain and" black" ice. Is that racist? ;)

Wow! That was hard to watch people just sliding in to their death...damn. Is this over a hill so people couldn't see it in time?

Any of you folks in central Texas, pay attention. I grew up driving in this shit and you go low and slow. Lots of people around here think that the speed limit is only a suggestion and don't even know how to drive in the rain let alone freezing rain and" black" ice. Is that racist? ;)

Yeah it happens everywhere. I've been in MN over 20 years and there are constant crashes because even here everyone drives on slick roads 20 over and tailgates just like on dry.

Have you ever driven in Dallas? Frikkin 80 miles per hour will get your ass run over in that city. They don't slow down for shit.
Those people are crazy.
OKC and Tulsa too, wooooeeeee watch out for them Okies and Texans.

Coming back from Las Vegas through NM a couple years ago. There were about 8 patches of ice between there and CO, and at every one cars went flying by us and slid off the road and crashed. Last one was right up on Raton pass. I saw the ice and let up on the gas, someone guns it past me and spin out. I go home with my pants unpooped. Still went 65-90 all the way.

We saw a high speed chase on that too around Sky City I think. I saw police cars all around this over pass. Then I watch one jump out and grab his spike strips, he tried to do a practice deploy, but they were tangled and it just pulled them out of his hands. So this semi slams on its breaks because he goes chasing his spike strip he lost onto the interstate. It happened own traffic going the opposite direction of us. A few miles down the road, a white sedan is weaving through traffic with a bunch of police cars at its heals.

Last edited:
Ice is nothing to play with. Here on the East Coast we get hit every few years. Everyone with at least 1 working brain cell knows to stay in until the weather warms or the streets are safe via a good salt solution on the roads. One time, I couldn't get into my truck because the ice was so think. Wasn't going to do the warm water, no sure how the window glass would react.

The next day the sun was shining and the ice melted pretty quickly.

From what I'm hearing, the next storm to hit the East Coast (Saturday evening) could bring a good bit of ice instead of snow.

Be careful out there.

Reactions: Maxwell
I live a few minutes from where the pile up occurred and this is not the first time it has happened. Drivers here are absolute morons but TX-DOT is a collective group of dumb fucks. The roads here are NEVER properly treated in the winter and that makes the issues worse.

assholes don't realize four wheel drive doesn't mean four wheel stop. i taught that lesson to my family. Still though, no matter how well versed you may be with driving in the winter...... sheets of ice on roads is scary as fuck.

assholes don't realize four wheel drive doesn't mean four wheel stop. i taught that lesson to my family. Still though, no matter how well versed you may be with driving in the winter...... sheets of ice on roads is scary as fuck.

The problem around DFW is that we don't really get "Snow" what we get is "Ice" be it frozen rain, frozen sleet, frozen something or other.
Then the sunlight helps heat up the surface just enough to get that really nice solid flat sheet of ice going over all the bridges and such and then the winds oblige by freezing all the 50 to 150 foot overpasses into nice solid ice sheets.

I live a few minutes from where the pile up occurred and this is not the first time it has happened. Drivers here are absolute morons but TX-DOT is a collective group of dumb fucks. The roads here are NEVER properly treated in the winter and that makes the issues worse.
Bingo! It has always been that way here. Spill a cup of ice on the sidewalk and we have crashes...

• Haha
Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
Grew up in the area, live West of the Metroplex now. That was my daily commute for 7 years.

Speed limit was 60 (likely changed now), you get run over if you go 80. That's bumper to bumper speeds. Nascar without professional drivers.

We as Texans earn our terrible reputation as drivers.

That said, I've checked on all my family and friends. All is good. Thoughts & Prayers to all involved!

We all stayed home today. Have some people that live up that way that drive down to the plant, lots of random patchy ice spots.
Next week looks like shitzilla.

Scary. Drove down that way earlier this week. From what I can tell that area was a bridge, so previous roadway was probably ice free, and to top it off looks like a blind hill so you couldnt see the pile up until you were on top of it, with zero way to stop on a sheet of black ice.

we don’t get weather bad enough to freeze the roads often, I’ve seen trucks spraying brine over the bridges all week. So there was definitely efforts by txdot to try and prevent this. In the past they would only spread sand. Brine is new past couple years.

monday is going to be worse. Supposedly 3-7” of snow coming, with more coming Wednesday. Our ground is going to be plenty cold for it all to stick.

Attachments

• ED90A077-C0C6-463A-AB4F-DE2A6A21B42F.png
    ED90A077-C0C6-463A-AB4F-DE2A6A21B42F.png
    884.9 KB · Views: 16
Scary. Drove down that way earlier this week. From what I can tell that area was a bridge, so previous roadway was probably ice free, and to top it off looks like a blind hill so you couldnt see the pile up until you were on top of it, with zero way to stop on a sheet of black ice.

we don’t get weather bad enough to freeze the roads often, I’ve seen trucks spraying brine over the bridges all week. So there was definitely efforts by txdot to try and prevent this. In the past they would only spread sand. Brine is new past couple years.

monday is going to be worse. Supposedly 3-7” of snow coming, with more coming Wednesday. Our ground is going to be plenty cold for it all to stick.
And brine solution are completely stupid, as bad as sand and rock salt. You put down calcium or magnesium chloride and things would be much better.

Can't stand when it's adverse weather conditions in Texas, Most of the people can't drive when it rains much less if it's icy. At least that's the case and the bigger city, rural country that's not so bad
A girl I grew up with in northern IL went to grad school at North Carolina. One winter they had a dusting of snow and she was the only person who showed up to her lab. The only person who answered was a janitor and he was amazed that she braved the elements and certain death to be on the roads. We both chuckled about that for a while

The problem around DFW is that we don't really get "Snow" what we get is "Ice" be it frozen rain, frozen sleet, frozen something or other.
Then the sunlight helps heat up the surface just enough to get that really nice solid flat sheet of ice going over all the bridges and such and then the winds oblige by freezing all the 50 to 150 foot overpasses into nice solid ice sheets.

We get ice storms every now and then, and they are way slicker than snow packed roads. When they get over 32 with a little water on top. Yikes!

Its expensive, but since they don't use it often, it seems like the should use Mag-chloride if they don't. I am guessing since there was ice they don't. It is pretty effective.

Reactions: JoshuaPaul

4wd does mean four wheel stop. As does 2wd. All cars sold today have four wheels with a brake on all of them.

Perfect recipe for disaster. Inexperience and black ice, terrible situation. I grew up at 7000' in the mountains and have driven on ice and snow all my life. Not once in my life have I ever seen an ice storm or freezing rain. We just don't get that here in WY. Spots of black ice, yeah, but entire roads of black ice? I couldn't imagine. I saw a video of a girl ice skating in Oklahoma down her road. WTF???
Kansas and Oklahoma are right in the sweet spot for the continental air masses to mix at just the right temperature profiles to make massive freezing rain storms.

Lived in south central Kansas for 9 years and saw many a whopper of an ice storm there.

Any kind of frozen precipitation + southern drivers = LULZ

I don't GAF if you're urban or rural.....still LOL

About 25 years ago the wife and I drove from KS to south FL to spend Christmas with parents and inlaws. Back then I had a Dakota crew cab with a 4.7 V8 and 4WD.

When passing through DFW on the drive north we started seeing snow flakes. As we drove north of DFW on 35 eventually the road was right lane two ruts in the snow and full of cars going nuts to butts at 15. The left lane was relatively smooth hard pack snow with no one in it. So I out the truck in 4Hi, jumped on the left lane and drove to OKC at 30 - 35 mph. A few losers honked at me going by, oh well that's what you get for not knowing how to drive in snow. Sucks to be you.

This was probably the worst ice I have ever driven in. This is not my video but I was there that day. This is just north of the Rouge River bridge on 75 SB in Detroit. It got worse as the road starts to climb and curve up the bridge........much worse.

Pay attention to 00:06 and 00:28

Last edited:
Prayers to all who are involved... Worst winter storm to hit the south in decades. When I heard that temperatures in CENTRAL TEXAS is going to hit negative Fahrenheit, I knew shit is not going to be good...
Yeah. I spent half of yesterday heat tracing the well head and other exposed piping, just insulation isn't going to cut it at that temperature. It's going to be interesting. In 2007 that winter storm took a bunch of power plants off line due to frozen instrument lines and other issues. That was not anywhere near as bad as what's going to hit us starting tomorrow night.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
And brine solution are completely stupid, as bad as sand and rock salt. You put down calcium or magnesium chloride and things would be much better.
They love their sand and salt in DFW. Remember my first year there and it iced. I said no way in HELL am I getting on roads. Sure enough, massive amount of wrecks. Any big city (or even small city) you cannot drive in ice - period. Unless you have studded tires and the ice is relatively thick, not "black ice" or now I shall call it "transparent ice" so as not to offend anybody it's hopeless to drive in that.

Now, in Iowa....they knew how to clear roads...big time!!!!! 10 inch snow....major streets dry the next morning. DRY!!!

Reactions: Mwalex
Yeah. I spent half of yesterday heat tracing the well head and other exposed piping, just insulation isn't going to cut it at that temperature. It's going to be interesting. In 2007 that winter storm took a bunch of power plants off line due to frozen instrument lines and other issues. That was not anywhere near as bad as what's going to hit us starting tomorrow night.
I don't know if ya'll know, but for those who run the risk of 'frozen water lines'.... one thing you CAN do is simply leave the 'furthest faucet' on, on a very slow trickle.

That's the very first thing that is done here, after lines get thawed. DON'T turn it off until the the cold has passed. Our lines here are underground, and there are areas in this city where they weren't buried deep enough (older developments) and this is what they have to do. Each year.

And as for 'winter driving' and the drivers themselves.... the very first problem is the fallacy of "all-season tires"... what a joke. First off, people think that the label 'all season' means that they're "perfect for everything" where-in-fact what it going on is you have a tire that is (at best) 50% effective in dry conditions, and 50% effective in ice conditions.

And that's only when the tire is brand-new. As soon as you start driving on it, those numbers are going DOWN. A full 'Winter tire' is what is needed in 'Winter conditions'. Simple as that.

I've been saying this for decades. They made it law here, about 3 years ago.

A person can have a 4-wheel-drive Ferrari. It don't matter how many bazillions one spends on their vehicle. The ONLY thing connecting that vehicle to the ground, is the tires. With shit tires, you get shit performance.

Next, is driver's ability. That's a whole nother topic, right there.

On a different note, back in '94 I got pulled over by our Northern Federale's. He was in 'oncoming lane' and after flashing his lights pulled right across the street and parked in front of me, "nose-to-nose" so to speak. I got out and met him at the front bumper, just the same as he did. He asked "Do you have any idea as to why I pulled you over?" My reply was:

"Well,,, going side-ways through that last intersection probably has something to do with it....." ;)

And then he stated "why don't you tell me a bit more about that."

After a bit more explanation, I left there with a seat-belt ticket, and that was all.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Maggot
2 inches of snow, Atlanta GA, January 2016
1613144454184.png

About the same amount of snow, Columbus, OH

I don't know if ya'll know, but for those who run the risk of 'frozen water lines'.... one thing you CAN do is simply leave the 'furthest faucet' on, on a very slow trickle.

That's the very first thing that is done here, after lines get thawed. DON'T turn it off until the the cold has passed. Our lines here are underground, and there are areas in this city where they weren't buried deep enough (older developments) and this is what they have to do. Each year.

And as for 'winter driving' and the drivers themselves.... the very first problem is the fallacy of "all-season tires"... what a joke. First off, people think that the label 'all season' means that they're "perfect for everything" where-in-fact what it going on is you have a tire that is (at best) 50% effective in dry conditions, and 50% effective in ice conditions.

And that's only when the tire is brand-new. As soon as you start driving on it, those numbers are going DOWN. A full 'Winter tire' is what is needed in 'Winter conditions'. Simple as that.

I've been saying this for decades. They made it law here, about 3 years ago.

A person can have a 4-wheel-drive Ferrari. It don't matter how many bazillions one spends on their vehicle. The ONLY thing connecting that vehicle to the ground, is the tires. With shit tires, you get shit performance.

Next, is driver's ability. That's a whole nother topic, right there.

On a different note, back in '94 I got pulled over by our Northern Federale's. He was in 'oncoming lane' and after flashing his lights pulled right across the street and parked in front of me, "nose-to-nose" so to speak. I got out and met him at the front bumper, just the same as he did. He asked "Do you have any idea as to why I pulled you over?" My reply was:

"Well,,, going side-ways through that last intersection probably has something to do with it....." ;)

And then he stated "why don't you tell me a bit more about that."

After a bit more explanation, I left there with a seat-belt ticket, and that was all.
Or one could hire a chauffer with names like: Vic Elford, Alain Prost, Walter Rohrl, Kimi Raikkonen to name a few. People forget after Prost retired from F-1 he went on to become a champion ice racer years after F-1 and Vic Elford...well...that says it all. Granted, they'd probably like to at least have Blizzaks mounted.

Or one could hire a chauffer with names like: Vic Elford, Alain Prost, Walter Rohrl, Kimi Raikkonen to name a few. People forget after Prost retired from F-1 he went on to become a champion ice racer years after F-1 and Vic Elford...well...that says it all. Granted, they'd probably like to at least have Blizzaks mounted.

Don't forget Petter Solberg, Carlos Sainz, and (RIP) Colin McRae

We have the same problem in Arkansas, as a neighboring state I'm sure that's not a surprise.

I live up on the NW border of the state where it meets Missouri. A good 15+ years ago Missouri started treating their roads with beet juice. You would literally see I-40 go from a solid sheet of ice to completely clear right at the Missouri border. For years Arkansans complained about our horrendous road treatments and horrible performance by city/state/county departments that were literally bleeding tens of millions... until they eventually relented, for whatever political reason I do not recall, and started following Missouri's example.

Now when this happens our interstate up here is completely clear -- busy roads, completely clear. They're wet, because they're covered in beet juice, but they are completely clear.

Somewhere in Texas there's a politician who's in charge of that budget that doesn't want to spend the money. If you want things to change, find that politician and make them as famous as they've always wanted to be. I'll bet y'all have beet juice trucks running all the busy roads by next year.

No idea what you do about shit like that insane truck driver who looked to be going full speed when he obliterated several cars, no doubt at least a few of the 5 deaths (my guess is likely all of them) resulted from that impact alone. That was insane.

We have the same problem in Arkansas, as a neighboring state I'm sure that's not a surprise.

I live up on the NW border of the state where it meets Missouri. A good 15+ years ago Missouri started treating their roads with beet juice. You would literally see I-40 go from a solid sheet of ice to completely clear right at the Missouri border. For years Arkansans complained about our horrendous road treatments and horrible performance by city/state/county departments that were literally bleeding tens of millions... until they eventually relented, for whatever political reason I do not recall, and started following Missouri's example.

Now when this happens our interstate up here is completely clear -- busy roads, completely clear. They're wet, because they're covered in beet juice, but they are completely clear.

Somewhere in Texas there's a politician who's in charge of that budget that doesn't want to spend the money. If you want things to change, find that politician and make them as famous as they've always wanted to be. I'll bet y'all have beet juice trucks running all the busy roads by next year.

No idea what you do about shit like that insane truck driver who looked to be going full speed when he obliterated several cars, no doubt at least a few of the 5 deaths (my guess is likely all of them) resulted from that impact alone. That was insane.
I remember the 2000 ice storm in Arkansas...(I think that's the year). BAD BAD BAD!!!!! My parent's town lost power and the water couldn't flow because idiots never bought generators...said they didn't need them. So, no water. Had a fire happened, that would have been the end of the downtown area. Even hospital didn't have water after the storage tanks stopped getting filled. I think it was 1 or 2 days of that. Every person on that water commission and city management should have been fired the next day.

I got caught in black ice somewhere between Blackhawk and Central City, Co, swapped ends a couple of times, and that night ended up driving 550 between Durango and Silverton in a blinding snow storm. It wasn't a very good day.