• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Foundation Stocks - people are bedding?

Not sure how old this post is but for what im gonna say it really doesn't matter much. I build a lot of high quality 22LR here in my shop and i always bed!
I read a couple statements above about not needing to bed MPA chassis. All i can add is that for a 22lr you better bed that MPA! I have seen several examples now just how much better a 22 will shoot in the MPA after its been bedded. I have seen several examples where a 22 flat wouldn't shoot in an MPA without bedding.
This post is more related to the Foundation stocks and i have seen good shooting 22's with both bedded and non bedded stocks. However my mind set is why wouldn't you go ahead and bed that stock. How can you be 100% sure your recoil lug is making full contact or how can you be sure your action isnt only touching in a couple spots? You cant really be sure unless you do a quality bedding job. I dont use pillars either with the foundation stocks. I have in the past but i just dont see any gain! I chamber a lot of centerfire guns as well but this post is more oriented towards the rimfire guns. Bed those babies and dont think twice about it!
Lee Gardner Precision

Reactions: Donkey hote
If you were a guy that made a living or even had a side gig bedding rifles for cash, would you tell them their rifle didn't need it?

The material used in Foundation stocks has a higher compression strength than aluminum, and you don't see many people bedding their MPA chassis'. I'd leave it alone personally.

The point of bedding isn't just to provide the action a material that isn't compressible under action screw tension.

It's also to provide a perfect, zero clearance/zero interference fit between the action and the stock.

No matter how good the inlet machining may be, it will never be a perfect, zero stress fit without bedding. It can't be, because all manufactured products will have dimensional variation. Some of that variation might be really small, but it's still there.

It seems that most people get satisfactory results without bedding these Foundation stocks. But every now and then someone won't. Bedding eliminates that.