• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Free floating 700 now touchs the stock????

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    I have a Remington 700 in what I think is a HS precision stock with palm swell (bought used). Anyway, the stock used to be free floated with plenty of room around the barrel. Now the stock touches the bottom of the barrel. I don't think the stock has a bedding block.

Any ideas on why the stock stopped being free floating?

Thanks
    -dan

Re: Free floating 700 now touchs the stock????

have you had the action out and back in a couple times? It can compress as you torque it several times. If it indeed doesn't have a bedding block. Would be tough to say without looking it over...

I did have it out a couple times and I probaly over tightened it as I didn't have a tq wrench at the time.

How should I fix it?

Thanks.

Pillar bedding is probably the best way, but having someone glass bed it should work as well, they will need to bed the bottom metal as well as the action...

Dave

Another thing that could possible do something like this, is if there was something under the rear of the action that didn't let it pull it back down all the way, not sure though... maybe the mag box is snagging up on something?

DD

+1 on checking the mag box. I'd check that first as I've had it happen a couple times where the mag didn't seat correctly into the floorplate assembly and cause issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never seen an HS stock without a bedding block, any pictures of the action inlet area of the stock?

-matt </div></div>

I'm not sure what stock this is to be honest. I will try to get some pictures up. It has a wide forend, and a large palm swell, and it has a "stippled" texture on it.

im almost positive all HS stocks have a full aluminum bedding block.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure what stock this is to be honest. I will try to get some pictures up. It has a wide forend, and a large palm swell, and it has a "stippled" texture on it. </div></div>

That's no problem, if you could post some pictures of the stock it would help us identify what it is, and in turn hopefully help diagnose your problem.

-matt

Update: I was wrong, the stock does have a bedding block with visible pillars. I was setting it up so I could shoot ground hogs with it and I pulled the action out of the stock to put it in a LTR stock.

The barrel doesn't rub when it is in the LTR stock.

The stock that rubs has a bedding block.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
    -dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update: I was wrong, the stock does have a bedding block with visible pillars. I was setting it up so I could shoot ground hogs with it and I pulled the action out of the stock to put it in a LTR stock.

The barrel doesn't rub when it is in the LTR stock.

The stock that rubs has a bedding block.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
    -dan </div></div>
    Wait, is it pillar bedded or a full bedding block? You said it has visible pillars, do bedding blocks have "visible pillars"? I like to think I know what I'm talking about but I may be wrong.

The stock has a bedding block. I can clearly see aluminum pillars/bedding block at the bottom of the stock where you attach your triggrguard/bottom metal.

I guess I will have to open the barrel channel up, but I don't see why the stock rubs now and didn't before.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stock has a bedding block. I can clearly see aluminum pillars/bedding block at the bottom of the stock where you attach your triggrguard/bottom metal.

I guess I will have to open the barrel channel up, but I don't see why the stock rubs now and didn't before.

-dan </div></div>

Ok, let me get this straight. You bought this stock used, so it's not the original stock. Then you placed your barreled action in the stock and it was free floating? Or are you saying that it was free floated on the rifle that it used to be on, so it should be free floated on yours? To my knowledge, ALL HS Precision stocks have a bedding block. If the barrel used to be free floated on YOUR action and it has a bedding block, there shouldn't be a reason why it's no longer free floated. I mean unless something major happened, but we all know the stock didn't shrink and the barrel didn't get bigger. That makes me think that like others have suggested that it's just not sitting all the way down in the stock. I'd look it over and maybe have someone else look over it before I opened up the channel some more. It's pretty difficult to compress aluminum, so I'm guessing it's not sitting right.

I bought the rifle completely set up. It would shoot .5 to .6 at 100. It started shooting bad after I had the rifle for a while and I looked over the rifle and the stock was rubbing the barrel on one side.

I put the action in a HS LTR stock I had laying around and it is free floated and shoots like it should now.

-dan