• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

From Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist to McMillan A5 . . . my stab at stock modification.

Can you do this with a choate tactical stock? Or is that stock hollow?

Can you do this with a choate tactical stock? Or is that stock hollow?

Assuming you are referring to the cheek riser.......The choate tactical is hollow in the but stock but choate sells a block with built in hardware and cheek rest that match the stock. It is about $90 available direct from choate.

Looks good! I'm about to cut into my .22 trainer stock to do an adjustable cheek piece, i've been holding off doing it for a while just because its such a clean stock. Its a solid walnut A3-A5 copy for my savage. I plan on making my own hardware for the cheek. After i get it all done i'm going to re finish it to a glass like finish but with devcon texture on the grip and forearm. So it will be half classy half tacticool. Since i feel the a .22 trainer rifle should be classy/tactical.

Would you be interested in doing the cheek piece mod for a fellow hide member? I've got a B&C A5 that I sanded the forearm down on and a REALLY aggressive marine tex texture job on as it will be a field rifle used durin hunting season and shooting from a pack a lot or a log as well as bipods but I just bought a 700 5R .308 and wanting to get an A2 for it but would like the adjustable cheek piece and the thumb hook you incorporated and I can do the finish work. I just don't have any drill presses or band saws and want to get the stock done in multicam cerakote so wanna do it one time. Thanks man.

Been awhile since I visited the post. As an update, the stock has been to several local matches since the completion of the project. I'm happy to report that its functioning 100% and has surpassed all of my expectations.

My 13-year old son and I have been putting together a Savage 10FP in .223 for him to shoot in the matches along side me. We've just finished up work installing pillars and bedding the action in a Boyds Tacticool stock. After installing the SWFA 12x in low TPS rings, both of us find ourselves raising our heads up a bit to get proper alignment with the scope. Looks like we'll be copying the raised cheek piece idea from the Bell and Carlson.

You can see our progress here . . .

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...l-stock-modification-another-diy-project.html

Last edited:
I have this stock and planning on doing the same thing. Glad i saw this post. lots of good info. thanks for the post.

Just finished up the same "raised cheek piece" mod on my son's Savage with a Boyd's Tacticool. Here's both rifles, ready for the next match . . .

ASUS_-_20140906_141620_2_.jpg