• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing From the aircraft maintenance world,penetrant/lube

Crapshot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Texas
It is a super/turbocharged version of WD40 or liquid wrench I kid you not. Its called Mouse Milk and honestly it has been a dependable backup when things get frustrating, i.e. a bolt on an exhaust manifold that's giving me hell or most recently a rem. 700 barrel a "gunsmith" couldn't break loose with a torch and hammer.

In the process he managed to bend the recoil lug to the point it would no longer fit in the stock I had bedded it in so.. I ordered a barrel vise from eBay, an action wrench from midway, and began dropping a drop of mouse milk in the forward most base screw hole everytime it started getting low (soaking into the tenon threads). The day I received both new tools after a couple days of mouse milk action, I gave it a nice jerk and it came apart like nothing. So to make a long unnecessary story even longer here's a little background:

My father and his father ran a "fbo", basically a "FOB" but in civilian jargon and operation, for about 50 years when it was all said and done. They worked as mechanics for personal and light commercial aircraft on occasion and over those years the one thing they still both agree on to this date is that Mouse Milk is some "amazing stuff".

If you knew the two you would understand why I am so pasionate about this "stuff".

Its a little secret we pass on to other mechanics we befriend and now I hope it will help in this new passion of mine as well so I want to let y'all know.

http://www.mousemilk.com/

And I swear I am in no way benefiting from this, its simply a product I believe in very strongly, kinda like GM used to be or Seekins is now.

Re: From the aircraft maintenance world,penetrant/lube

If it works as good or better than Kroil its another tool in the box.

Mouse milk is just as good a Kroil. Hell I am a A&P and use all kinds of aviation products on my firearms. Mobil 28 or SHC-100 for triggers. Aeroshell 17(Molybdenum disulfide based) for general lubing.

You have to love a industry that will still let you use MEK and shit that has been found to causes cancer in California. No joke that is on some of the labels.

Hell I probably wouldn't screw around with stuff that is linked to cause cancer, knowingly at least. Then again at some point everything will be said to cause cancer. And +1 for Moly grease and lube.

Nuttshooter, you got any insider tips for some high qual Anti- seize? (Totally off topic but u seem to know a thing or two)

I've been using just the reg ole Napa brand and it has worked well but I'm sure their is something that works better.

The high temp copper based antisieze is great...and works well on stainless.

Either high temp copper or pure nickel. We normally have to use Pure Nickel per the CML on The Pratt's.

I've gauled two barrels in BAT actions. Now I use Jet lube 550 when I have stainless to stainless contact.

I work in the oil industry in Alaska where we see temp swings that most people won't believe and require a zero failure on fittings and connections. For stainless to stainless pipe fits we use this. It works. When we fit studs to flanges that could see up to 3,000 ft/lbs of torque.....jet 550. It doesn't work as well.....but that could be the corrosion resistance of the stainless stepping up too.

http://www.swagelok.com/products/leak-detectors-lubricants-sealants/lubricants/silver-goop.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either high temp copper or pure nickel. We normally have to use Pure Nickel per the CML on The Pratt's. </div></div>

Pure Nickel is what we use at SWA, C5(copper stuff) is ok, but the Pure Nickel is has a much higher temp range, gone are the days of Ez-Off 990, Mastinox, or just about anything we used 26 years ago when I got in to fixing planes, some because of EPA some just because the new stuff is better, we use Kroil, I heard MM was better but Kroil simply works.

Used both as an Aircraft mechanic. I prefer kroil if its readily available.

Quite a few aircraft mechanics on here it seems! You guys have my respect. Whenever I complained about having to shimmy my way into an awkward position to get to a bolt or whatever under a car or truck dash my dad didn't hesitate to share a story about being so contorted inside a customers plane it took him the better part of an hour just to get in and out. Of course I don't know if that's true but it shut me up pretty quick.

And I had never actually tried Kroil before so mouse milk was all I had to work with and like I've said, it did the job. I'll give kroil a try though.

And thanks for the suggestions on anti seize, I will be ordering some of those as well to be sure.

Thanks again

Saw recently a test of several different types of penetrating oil. ATF mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with acetone won top honors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RonA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw recently a test of several different types of penetrating oil. ATF mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with acetone won top honors. </div></div>

That sounds extremely flammable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RonA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw recently a test of several different types of penetrating oil. ATF mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with acetone won top honors. </div></div>

Works great, just don't get in on any plastic parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crapshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RonA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw recently a test of several different types of penetrating oil. ATF mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with acetone won top honors. </div></div>

That sounds extremely flammable </div></div>

Just on engine exhaust parts at operating temp, otherwise I'm interested thx for the idea!

I've used mousemilk a number of times. If you let it soak in it works great. I prefer Kroil because it's a shade lighter and gets into those hard to reach spots a little faster than does mousemilk.

The big kicker for Mousemilk is it does suspend particulates longer and better. Kroil being lighter aromates (dries out) faster. That's why Mousemilk works so well on exhaust studs. Oh, three stitches in the right upper lip suggests you use enough. Just because you have the nut spinning doesn't mean it won't get the threads filled with crap and not break the stud.

For anti-seize we've always used the 'aircraft approved' nickel (dark gray paste).

Second thing I always suggest is learn 'wet-torque' values. The best stuff I've ever used is 2380. Regular turbine oil. Exxon developed it (along with 2389) and now BP owns it. BP2380 now. Also, there is BP2197. An oil created to help with coking (sludge in piston engines)
I recommend anytime you go over 10 ft. lbs (120 in lbs.) of torque that you use an equivalent 'wet torque' (torquing with lubed threads) to prevent galling.
We use this method while installing prop bolts/nuts. It works as good as any anti-seize and with enough torque there is no worry of it backing off.

sandwarrior posted some good stuff. ?Just make sure your fastener can handle the torque.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stangfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sandwarrior posted some good stuff. ?<span style="font-weight: bold">Just make sure your fastener can handle the torque</span>.</div></div>

Correct. Either follow the maintenance manual or a table that gives THAT SPECIFIC piece of hardware.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used mousemilk a number of times. If you let it soak in it works great. I prefer Kroil because it's a shade lighter and gets into those hard to reach spots a little faster than does mousemilk.

The big kicker for Mousemilk is it does suspend particulates longer and better. Kroil being lighter aromates (dries out) faster. That's why Mousemilk works so well on exhaust studs. Oh, three stitches in the right upper lip suggests you use enough. Just because you have the nut spinning doesn't mean it won't get the threads filled with crap and not break the stud.

For anti-seize we've always used the 'aircraft approved' nickel (dark gray paste).

Second thing I always suggest is learn 'wet-torque' values. The best stuff I've ever used is 2380. Regular turbine oil. Exxon developed it (along with 2389) and now BP owns it. BP2380 now. Also, there is BP2197. An oil created to help with coking (sludge in piston engines)
I recommend anytime you go over 10 ft. lbs (120 in lbs.) of torque that you use an equivalent 'wet torque' (torquing with lubed threads) to prevent galling.
We use this method while installing prop bolts/nuts. It works as good as any anti-seize and with enough torque there is no worry of it backing off. </div></div>

Damn guys, I've gotten more pertinent info (that I have and will continue to use) out of this thread than almost any other. And here I was thinking I had something to give... You aircraft mechs still have my respect, along with other mechanics, that stuff is almost never easy but always dirty. Hopefully y'alls knowledge can migrate into the gumsmithing world and possible advances can be made. Might not but still.

Thanks for all the info, hopefully I can throw some at my father and grandfather and they might learn something for a change...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either high temp copper or pure nickel. We normally have to use Pure Nickel per the CML on The Pratt's. </div></div>

Pure Nickel is what we use at SWA, C5(copper stuff) is ok, but the Pure Nickel is has a much higher temp range, gone are the days of Ez-Off 990, Mastinox, or just about anything we used 26 years ago when I got in to fixing planes, some because of EPA some just because the new stuff is better, we use Kroil, I heard MM was better but Kroil simply works. </div></div>

Remember, the EPA does not dictate what the manufacture makes us use. I use Mastinox on a daily basis. I work on a German aircraft and they do not like to use oil as the lube on bolts. Mastinox goes on every bearing surface for hardware. I have used some of the CA (CAF4)approved crap and most of its junk.

Question: Are most of you Plane fixers as anal about your guns as you are with your planes? This is one reason I hate working on cars, even my own! I keep wanting a GOOD IPC for them.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either high temp copper or pure nickel. We normally have to use Pure Nickel per the CML on The Pratt's. </div></div>

Pure Nickel is what we use at SWA, C5(copper stuff) is ok, but the Pure Nickel is has a much higher temp range, gone are the days of Ez-Off 990, Mastinox, or just about anything we used 26 years ago when I got in to fixing planes, some because of EPA some just because the new stuff is better, we use Kroil, I heard MM was better but Kroil simply works. </div></div>

Remember, the EPA does not dictate what the manufacture makes us use. I use Mastinox on a daily basis. I work on a German aircraft and they do not like to use oil as the lube on bolts. Mastinox goes on every bearing surface for hardware. I have used some of the CA (CAF4)approved crap and most of its junk.

Question: Are most of you Plane fixers as anal about your guns as you are with your planes? This is one reason I hate working on cars, even my own! I keep wanting a GOOD IPC for them.
smile.gif

</div></div>

Scary when the IPC gives the correct picture and the manual doesn't.
eek.gif
grin.gif

Anal with some, others are just a step above a club.

Do you work on Dornier's? I can't remember what it's called but having to install bearings and bolts on Airbus they use that yellow pasty stuff that causes <span style="color: #3333FF">instant</span> cancer. Seems to me Boeing does as well. Cobra? You're current on those... <span style="color: #3333FF">edit: what is that stuff?</span>

Yes sir Dornier 328-100 and -300 are my specialty. I have a hodgepodge of other TP and Jet but these are the ones paying the bills right now.

I love the PW100 series. Far better than a CT-7...that costs just as much.

[/quote]

smile.gif

[/quote]

I am just as anal on my cars and guns as I am with aircraft which makes it very frustrating with cars due to lack of tech support. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I can pull the car over.

Good info on this thread.

Finally a subject I can talk about - I am a huge fan of the WET products...

My primary is WET Platinum - very light and long lasting. Hardly ever have to re-wet once applied. Its odor free and cleans up very easy.