• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Frustrated with Leica

shotdown

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2011
Tampa, FL
www.instagram.com
First off, I want to start by thanking AHB (Leica Rep on this site) for contacting me ASAP. However, I'm frustrated because I have a near new Leica Rangemaster 1200 CRF that is no longer ranging but still see the display. So I asked about a repair and was told that they are no longer repairing them and that since they no longer make them, I'd have to upgrade (Cost would be less than retail).

The upgrade is still a lot out of pocket, hence why I'm even more frustrated. So now I'm thinking "why would I want to upgrade when I have a unit that's pretty much new (with no dings or scratches at all and used a few times), and take the risk of it happening on another unit and having to go through this same process again"?

The unit is about 3 years old but has been a safe queen mainly. I know a lot of people love Leica but am I out of line here? What would you guys do?

Pics of the unit:
d415b2f9.jpg

f15ab2c6.jpg

45198405.jpg

7517def0.jpg

Re: Frustrated with Leica

What's the length of the warranty?

What's the value upgrade price?

Would like to know the top two answers, but either way it's pretty crappy they won't repair it at all.

I believe the warranty is 2 years and the cost of the upgrade to a 1600-B is around $500. I understand that it's under retail but I have a unit that I paid for and now have to pay another $500 for a new one. To me it doens't sound like much of a deal.

They got my 1200 scan....would rather have it back (note said they do NOT repair LRFs) It is 350 to a 1000 and 450 to a 1600B.

That really sucks, and is pretty surprising. I have a Leica 1600 CRF that I carry around in my shirt pocket everyday. I use it more for a monocular, than anything as the glass and field of view are impressive for such a small scope. It ranges very well, as well as giving me angle, temperature and barametic pressure data. I don't use the ballistic software. I am really troubled that they have such little support for their products though. I was confident they would be more supportive than that. Two hundred dollars off a new upgrade just doesn't seem to be fair to me. I would expect them to atleast give you the cost of the 1200 CRF when it was new off the new 1600 CRF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That really sucks, and is pretty surprising. I have a Leica 1600 CRF that I carry around in my shirt pocket everyday. I use it more for a monocular, than anything as the glass and field of view are impressive for such a small scope. It ranges very well, as well as giving me angle, temperature and barametic pressure data. I don't use the ballistic software. I am really troubled that they have such little support for their products though. I was confident they would be more supportive than that. Two hundred dollars off a new upgrade just doesn't seem to be fair to me. <span style="font-weight: bold"> I would expect them to atleast give you the cost of the 1200 CRF when it was new off the new 1600 CRF</span>. </div></div>
That sounds much better to me. Right now, I've lost all faith on Leica products.

I'm considering Bushnell ARC 1600 mono after reading all the reviews about the ranging distance. I got to mess around with them at Shot Show but thought it was a little bulky. My other option now are the Swarovski rangefinder as well.

Let me understand this you have had unit 3 years and warranty is for 2 years. Just because its a safe queen it ain't new....
Ok out of warranty period. They don't repair, offer to replace at a lesser cost.
So whats wrong with that.
Nothing is guarentied forever and with ever changing technolgy, buy today obsolet tomorrow.
Suck it up trade for the new ones and don't look back.

You're right, hence why I said it's near new condition (barely used). Three years is not a long time either. I'm learning the hard way but will make sure I get a unit the has a better warranty and better customer support.

Don't sit there and tell me you wouldn't be mad if it was your unit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm considering Bushnell ARC 1600 mono after reading all the reviews about the ranging distance. I got to mess around with them at Shot Show but thought it was a little bulky. My other option now are the Swarovski rangefinder as well. </div></div>

+1. my buddy has one of these and they are very nice, and very reliable.

-Paulus

I love my Leica 1600, that being said, I have read about a lot of issues with the 1200, issues that simply were not the fault of the buyer, just because this one didnt' get a chance to use his enough, to find those issues doesn't make it right that Leica washing their hands of it. Imagine if USO, NF or any other optic did the same thing, they would not be very popular. From what I read, it seemed like it was really a luck of the draw with the 1200. Leica was good at replacing them during at one point. To know offer one of their customers that happen to get a bad unit, less than half of what he paid for it off a full price new model doesnt' seem like a very wise business move for Leica. When I bought mine, I didn't expect a shelf life of 3 years. I use mine everyday for work, I am one year into it without any problems. It would seem I need send it in to make sure it working properly, before the end of the next year. If they offered him a better trade, as I mentioned I would be more impressed, but $200 off full retail price seems as though they are taking advantage of him. If they didn't come up with something better if I were in his shoes, I would buy a Swarovski and see how their product and customer service worked. I wouldn't buy another Leica if I was treated the same way. I have had no issues with mine and hope I happen to get a "good one". I don't think I would settle for the offer that has been put on the table and yes I would be upset if it were my rangefinder in question.

I will add that mine is not a "safe queen" but rides everyday in my shirt pocket. I use it in a hostile enviorment and while I have had no problems with it, I am now questioning its durablity as well as their customer support should it something go wrong with it.

Hmmmm.. I might have to sell my Leica 1600 before the 2yr warranty is up just to avoid dealing with this type of problem.

That sort of support does not make one want to run out and buy a set of Geovids either.

You'd be getting jacked for $1500 instead of $500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the warranty is 2 years and the cost of the upgrade to a 1600-B is around $500. I understand that it's under retail but I have a unit that I paid for and now have to pay another $500 for a new one. To me it doens't sound like much of a deal. </div></div>

Now to me it looks like you have to spend a minimum of $500 to get a new rangefinder.So far Leica gives you the most dough for your broken one.

What else it`s out there in that price range ($500) that can compare with the new model 1600-B?

Second alternative is to try to get rid of your broken one and buy a Bushnell Elite 1600, and like this you get to spend less money.

The best bang for the buck would be the Leica deal, all depends on how much you trust them now?

I am the AHB referred to above. A little background: I've worked for Leica for just under 4 years and have been in the hunting shooting industry for nearly 20. One of the reasons I now work for Leica is because of my experience selling the brand. No one is perfect, you really get no know that when you've been married to or worked with someone.
laugh.gif
That being said, I can honestly tell you that everyone from the VP of Sport Optics for North America down to lowly yours truly believes in what we do and how we do it. The following is not a rebuttal of OP so much as a commentary on commentary I read on this and other forums. I thoroughly enjoyed speaking with the OP earlier today and hope to have the opportunity to make him happy. Ok, here goes (picture Ace Ventura sucking in air before stating his case against Chappy here):

First off, in regards to warranty, the stated warranty is 2 years for a CRF. It's the longest in the industry (at least last time I checked). We were the first to offer a warranty this long on an LRF; everyone else had to step up.

Second, at no time have we ever offered a $200 discount on a new unit if the old one is out of warranty. That is bad math (and repetition) by other posters piling on. Typically at worst case, we offer the opportunity for the original purchaser to buy a current, much better model at landed cost. Sales commissions, marketing, opperating costs, dealer margin, all those come on top of landed cost. Currently this price is about $450 for a 1600-B, a $350 difference from the normal price. That's almost half the price of the new BETTER one. And that is what I offered over the phone. The unit has not been sent in yet, so we don't even know if <span style="font-style: italic">worst</span> case is the case. Under promise, over deliver. Translation: we offer a deal where we make zero profit and the user gets a brand new, much better unit than he had before for appx 56% of what the new one would normally cost. Question: What would you say a good working order, 3 year old used CRF1200 that is for sale on here should bring? If you want to look at it from the standpoint that we're giving credit in his old one, we're giving $350 or so on a unit that was only $599 in the first place. It's funny what folks have come to expect in a warranty in this industry. Some companies offer an unconditional lifetime warranty on their products and more power to them, but remember we're talking electronics here. Sony will give you a 90 day warranty on a $3000 TV, that's never going to move an inch because it's MOUNTED TO YOU YOUR WALL!

Third, there's something a lot of folks don't realize about warranties. I confess to thinking (before working in the industry) wow, lifetime warranty, so and so's product must be indestructible. Uh-uh. Warranties cost money and are a something you pay for (just like a business' corporate taxes) even though you don't know it. Most often, an unconditional lifetime warranty just tells you that a company makes enough money on a product that when they sell it, they've factored in the costs vs their margins and can afford to do so. For example, there are some $1500 binos on the market that cost less than $150 to make. That's right cost is less than 10% of retail for SOME companies. They can afford an unconditional lifetime warranty. As I said above, $450 is the appx landed cost of a Leica unit that retails for $799. Remember, we sell it to a dealer for quite a bit less than that.
The only other way (besides being a function of cost) that I am aware of a warranty being funded is if a company doesn't account for warranty as a part of the cost of the product at all and just subsidizes it from the coffers of a larger parent company to buy market share.

Speaking of costs, a retail cost refund is almost never given by a Manf. They might replace product, but I've NEVER encountered a manf that would give me retail $$ back on a product they sold for wholesale. That's the retailer's bailiwick, and it usually only happens just after the purchase.

Fourth, as far as reliability goes, our rates of return are WELL below one percent across the CRF range and history of product. They are consistently rated the toughest available in every 3rd party test they're subjected too. Please remember, when you hear about problems with anyone's products, you are much more likely to be HEARING about it because it was a problem. Furthermore, I'll take our products and put them up against any equivalent sport optic on the market in a scientific durability challenge, and I'll bet my own money on ours winning. I don't earn enough cashish to make that statement just to sell stuff. FYI, all our binos and RFs are rated to withstand a minimum 100G impact in as much as 5 directions.

Fifth, I always scratch my head when I hear, "had trouble with my Leica, bought a Bushnell, and I couldn't be happier." I was never happier trading down in optics, women, or anything else.
wink.gif
Does one bad experience prove the rule?

Finally, one thing I can assure you of, we haven't survived (and thrived) since 1849 just because of our name. Lightning will strike, we will screw up, and we MIGHT not be able to fix it to your satisfaction, but I guarantee, if you don't give us the chance, we can't try. It blows my mind when folks don't even bother.

Feel free to contact me any time.

100-300 can fix ALOT of problems with a 3000 sony tv.

I don't have a problem with offering the deal they are. I have a problem with the line of "we just do not repair LRF" I got the dreaded _ _ _ every time you pushed the button and it kind of looked like you could see the reflection of the sighting square in a different location. So it still fired just most likely the laser being fired and returned back to where it needed to be. Then again I don't claim to know how to build them.

AHB, thanks for posting here and hope that you understand that it wasn't geared towards you personally. I appreciate the quick and honest response you provided. It was also a pleasure to speak to you although I had bad phone signal, lol. I'm just frustrated because I didn't abuse the unit like others have and it failed on me (as you can see by the photos). I'm sure people have done worse to them and their CRFs are still running fine. I just feel a bit cheated for the amount of use as to what I paid for it. I was hoping to just pay less to have it repaired but that's not an option.

The unit will be going back and it will be replaced with the 1600-B. Unfortunately, that means I have to sell some items in order to pay for it since Uncle Sam is sending me elsewhere soon. I wasn't planning on buying a rangefinder anytime soon which is the reason I went with Leica. I have no choice but to replace it.

The worst part is the REFUSAL to repair a unit that is already paid for and forcing a second purchase on the consumer.
That kind of tactic that is condemnable. I would much prefer to have my unit (which I'm happy with) repaired for a reasonable fee than to dish out close to $500 for a new unit.
That shows me how much Leica stands behind their product!!!
So if my Jeep model has been discontinued,the dealer refuses to work on my car because they don't feel like performing repairs on one of their model that is discontinued ?
Wake Up Leica or you are going to loose customers really fast!!!

AHB,
I appreciate you taking the time to address the concerns expressed on this forum. While you may think I am "piling on" and using "bad math", you may note that I was the one that sent the original poster to you from the thread below and if you read any of my prior comments about Leica's products or customer service I have been nothing but an ardent advocate of Leica. The fact that this issue has changed my tone somewhat should ring a few alarm bells at Leica, as I am probably not the only customer that thinks this way.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...499#Post3420499

My "bad math' was based on the fact that the OP stated he was offered to trade up to a new model for $500 dollars combined with the knowledge that I bought my 1600 from Cabelas a year ago for $700, admittedly on sale, and the fact that I see the same original 1600 model listed in ad's on this site for $650. I didn't take into account taxes or shipping either.

If it were my rangefinder in question, I probably wouldn't be as concerned as in truth, I am getting my moneys worth out of it. If the ranging feature were to no longer work after my warranty expires, given the same generous offer, I would in turn choose to keep my broken range finder and use it for a monocular similar to the Leica 8X20 Monocular that sells for around $500. The optics on my rangefinder are excellent and I don't see that changing if the electronics were to stop working.

I think my Leica 1600 is an excellent piece of equipment. I understood that it carried a 2 year warranty when I bought it, what I didn't understand when I bought it was that after two years, it would become a "disposable" item.

Hi Driftwood,

I apologize if I offended you or anyone else on this forum. We value you and all our customers' patronage and support. I tried very hard to give the best, most open and honest answer possible last night. It took 2 hours to write and rewrite that response using an iPhone (in the middle of a moving and didn't have internet where I was). Talk about numb thumbs! Again, I was not targeting you, or anyone else specifically. If "bad math" came across as belligerent on my part, again, I apologize. I did not intend anything I said to be anything but conciliatory and explanatory. We are not talking about him getting a $650 CRF1600 on closeout. We are talking about him getting a CRF1600-B that goes for no less than $799, if you can find one. Heck, they just started shipping last week.

As to repairing CRFs, we have never repaired them. We have always replaced them because it is not economical to do otherwise. We are a small company, and there are no facilities to repair them in the States. They would have to go back to Europe. Everything else can be repaired here, but not CRFs. To that end, whenever there is a problem with a CRF while under warranty, it is always replaced with a new one.

I totally understand your concern over the possibility of having to buy a new one after the warranty period is over, but, please remember, I have not told you or anyone else that this option is the final answer; it is <span style="text-decoration: underline">worst case</span> as I've said from the beginning. We cannot confirm a problem with an RF over the phone, we might get an idea, but we have to see it.

As an aside, you wouldn't believe the number if products we get back that the customer says have never been dropped, are a safe queen, just came out of the box, etc and when we pull them apart, we can see the impact damage under the armor. We had one pair come back that literally had red clay jammed up underneath the armor of a Duovid that looked pristine outside, and the customer had sworn they'd never been dropped! The above is intended in no way to contradict Shot Down's description of his unit. It is just to illustrate what can and does happen.

Please take my response as written with the best of intentions, concern for you- our customers, and an aim to provide transparency to how things really work at Leica. Why else would I have put myself out here, asking if there was anything I could do for folks on this forum? Again, if anyone on here ever needs my help, please feel free to PM me. I will be happy to help in any way I can. And if you make it to SHOT, SCI, NRA etc. please drop by the booth and introduce yourself!

It is economically unfeasible for companies that sell electronic equipment to keep repair parts on hand for every model they've ever produced. Many of these parts are manufactured by third parties, and are not available for purchase after a certain amount of time.

One year is a good EOW (End Of Warranty) period, while three years is becoming the de facto standard for EOL (End Of Life) for many electronic goods.

There is some variability in how long manufacturers will go before they deem a product EOS (End Of Service) but I would prepare for one year being the standard across the industry.

I've got a vendor who was unique in our industry in repairing everything they'd ever made. This year they instituted an EOW/EOS policy that made a lot of people extremely angry. The anger stemmed from being used to an unreasonable level of service - one that was negatively affecting the financial health of the company.

We all want everything to work forever, and be fixed for free when it breaks - forever. But this is the real world, and we all need to start getting used to the idea of a three year product life cycle, and four to five year service cycle when it comes to electronic equipment.

Hi MB4810AP,

It's not a matter of standing behind or not wanting to service our product, again CRFs would have to go back to Europe. We run on a tight budget and the costs of doing differently are too much for us to bear at this time and the cost of sending it back to Europe are too much for us to ask the customer to bear. It makes sense to fix a $10,000 jeep if the repair is $1500, but would you fix it if it cost half or more of the value? Just because a Jeep cost $25k new doesn't mean a $12k repair makes sense later down the road when the jeep is worth $14 or $15K used. I do realize that a $12K repair would probably come from a wreck, not a manufacturers defect, but we have not established that a manufacturers defect is the case, yet. It very well may be. Can we wait and see how this turns out?

AHB,

Thanks again for your response and explanation. I apologize, if I was a little rash. I try to never take offense where none is intended. I should not have read more into your response than was there. I appreciate the time you took to explain the situation. The OP has already stated he appreciates your efforts.

I completely understand how you would want to look at the rangefinder. While I am sure it is as the OP suggests, there are those that would take advantage of your generosity.

I have to add that while I have read of some issues with the Leica 1200, my unit has been issued 10 Leica 1200’s and we have not had any problems with any of them. I bought the Leica 1600 myself and prefer it to the 1200, but I have not had any problems with either of the models.

It is good to know that if I were to have a problem, I could contact you and know that you would do your best to resolve the situation.

My CRF1200 stopped ranging a couple years ago past about 300 yards, I suspect it lost collimation due to an impact or something, but not sure the actual reason. I sent it back to Leica, who didnt know me and the product had never even been registered. They sent me a brand new unit.
Some of the best customer service I have seen.
But that was before the 1600 was out and the 1200 model discontinued.

Just to be clear, I wasn't asking for a free product or free repair. I just wanted to repair the one I have now so that I didn't have to spend a lot of money on a new one. The 1200 was just fine for my use. Not having the option of repair is what made me mad (among other things). Now I'm rushing to buy a new one with cash I don't really have.

If it was dropped, bumped hard or whatever the case is, I can guarantee you it wasn't abused. Again, it's getting sent back in but I'm sure you guys can't do anything about it. The only option was to buy another unit at a discounted price.

I do agree that ~$500 for a 1600-B is a great deal. However, I was hoping to not have to buy a rangefinder for quite awhile.

On a side note, I tried using it again yesterday and it managed to get some readings at 70-100 yards and that's it. But it did not range everything I looked at.

I just spoke with AHB about some questions I had with the new Leica 1600B. He was extremely helpful and very knowledgable. I have confidence that you will be pleased with his customer service. He was very upfront and honest with me. The <span style="text-decoration: underline">worst case scenario </span>is that the OP will get a great deal on a new 1600B. Give him a chance to see what he can do, he seems like a very honest and forthright man, I am confident the OP will recieve great customer service. From my discusion with him I really like some of the new features on the 1600B, the ballistic software and data given are improved. I am very happy with my 1600, if you end up with a 1600B, I think you will be very pleased with it.

I think everyone understands the OP only wants the RF he bought to work and didn't expect Leica to pick up the tab to fix it. I also understand why its cost prohibitive for Leica to fix units that are no longer working as designed. Its the same with many electronic instruments.

I had something similar happen with a brandnew Cannon Camcorder that one of my kids broke before I even had a chance to use it, (the cassette only goes in one way, even though with enough force you can get it to close the wrong way), Cannon didn't offer me a discount on a new model, they just said it would cost more to fix it than the camcorder is worth. It wasn't their fault my kids broke it and I didn't want to pay more to have it fixed than it would cost to buy a new one. I just ended up a $800 dollar paperweight.

That being said, I think you will find that AHB will work very hard to give the OP a fair deal no matter who is at fault. I don't think you can ask for more than that.

I love Leica glass. Their range finders by comparison are so-so in my experience. I have had a couple of their range finders, the last one being a pair of Geovids. Sunny day, smaller target (even steel) or anywhere near advertised range on something practical like a deer sized animal gave both of them trouble. So yeah....Bushnell is a step down (or three} in optics but a step up in ranging capability. Disclaimer.....I don't own a Bushnell and use a Vectronix now but the Fusions I have handled spanked my Geovids everywhere except glass quality. That said I never had one failure with much use on both Leicas but they both left me needing more in ranging capability.

In regards to the offer I think it is fair, even generous. It's not Leicas fault you didn't use the unit or their job to determine it's pristine and they have to set an objective limit somewhere. If you park a new car in your garage and never use it your warranty is still over when it's over, without an offer like you have from Leica.

A disposable range finder.... Unreal.

I use a Nikon 800 for bow hunting and a CRF 1600 for rifle... I've had my Nikon for 4 hunting seasons (and I've used it like it should be used... In the field... rain, sleet or snow) and have never had an issue. I just picked up a CRF 1600 here on the hide through one of our great dealers... Yes, the glass is better, yes the ranging abilities is night and day better... But if it shits the bed on me from gentle/normal use... I'll be more then apt to use a new product that is backed by a company that can repair my item. I understand tech gadgets will get phased out... But a 2-3 year service life is a no go in my book.

Another thing I wish Lieca would do... Put a universal inlet (1/4x20) for mounting on a tripod... Oh that's another product I have to buy. Don't get me wrong... Lieca makes a great product but it's lacking a few things for the price we pay.

I found the PRS SSP2 saddle makes a very good mount for my Leica 1600. One of the things I like about the Leica over some of the other brands is its compact size. If they could add mount for a tripod that would be nice, but since I already have the shooting saddle, I don't think I would attach it any other way. I bought the univeral mounting plate from PRS, but find I just use the saddle as its a perfect fit. I use the plate for binos, or my iphone.

IMG_3996-1.jpg

I recently got one of the older 1200 Rangemaster scan models used but in 100% off of here. I really like it but after reading this I hate to know that if it ever tears up I can't pay a decent, reasonable fee to have it repaired. "LRF don't fail me now"

you don't have a NEW Leica rangefinder you have a 3 year old range finder. It doesn't how much you have used it or not I don't think leica should be required to fix. replace your rangefinder for free. its no wonder companies struggle because everyone is out there demanding something for nothing...

Electronics that sit and are not used do not last forever. add leaving batteries in electronics is very bad as well

Every sense the advent of tacticool, many of the old standards have went for the quick money.
On a bad day my Leica (older box style 1200 scan) will do 2-250yds tops, none reflective. My buds 1600 will only do 150-200, my Swaro does 3 times either. On a good day both Leica's out run the Swaro.

The proof is using them in the worst conditions. It's real easy to say your model is all that from the couch when used on a reflective, on a good day.

I too wished, I'd never bought a Leica as well, but I don't regret the Swaro at all.

AHB,

Good on you for taking the time to provide some above and beyond Customer Service.
Karma will surely catch up with you.

Everyone else,

Here is a quick distillation of the situation:
- Customer's Leica CRF 1200 is not working properly.
- CRF 1200 is out of warranty.
- Customer is upset because he doesn't feel that he got the mileage he should have out of that warranty.
This is not a 3 year 30,000 mile warranty folks.
Just because you are not using it doesn't mean the clock stops.
- Leica is willing to work with him regardless.
(Majority of companies would only offer a heartfelt "I'm sorry sir.")
- Leica warranty and value are top notch.

If anything, this thread should be a positive for Leica, not a negative.

Stay proficient in ultilizeing your reticle/range estimation calculations.... Save yourself the coin and learn to be a better, less dependent shooter.

I don't know about you guys, but after reading all this the guys at Leica sure have a hard time convincing me to buy one of their rangefinders.
I'm not made out of money and I can't afford to replace my rangefinder every 2 years.

The price you asking for a new model 1600-B it's around $800 and that tell me that you guys are proud of your product.

Not so proud when offering only 2 years warranty!!!

What?? You gonna tell me that's the standard for the industry? ...yes but your prices are well ABOVE the average of the industry and your warranty should reflect that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruze5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you don't have a NEW Leica rangefinder you have a 3 year old range finder. It doesn't how much you have used it or not I don't think leica should be required to fix. replace your rangefinder for free. its no wonder companies struggle because everyone is out there demanding something for nothing...

Electronics that sit and are not used do not last forever. add leaving batteries in electronics is very bad as well </div></div>
Obviously you didn't read. I didn't ask for anything for free. I asked for a repair. Electronics will last awhile when you take care of them. I have a handheld TV that is 15 yrs old and used very little and still works.

Also, no one is talking negative about AHB. He did his job and was courteous. He did give me the option of buying one at a lesser cost and I'm going to do that. I hate to spend more money but would rather have a working rangefinder with a new 2 year warranty just in case.

Again, I just wanted to spend less on a repair, rather than buy a new one.

I just saw in my new Cabela's ad that Vortex now has a rangefinder, it apparently goes out to 1000, cost was 379.00. You then have the satisfaction of knowing Vortex will stand behind their products.

To all the "Leica won't back up their products" folks, why not take a chill pill and see what happens. I took the time to call AHB on a different matter, but spoke about this one as well and feel confident the OP will be taken care of. Why not give the guy a chance to look at the unit and speak with the OP. Leica would not have the reputation it enjoys, if it didn't have good products as well as good customer service. Their rep AHB came to this site soliciting any issues with Leica products in an effort to fix them, why not give him a change to do what he intended. If we run him off or burn him at the stake that is not going to help the OP, or anyone else. It's literally biting the hand that feeds you. This guy is trying to help. If you have an issue with a Leica product, contact AHB and see if he can do something, you may be surprised. The worst that is is going to happen with this current situation is that the OP is going to be given a great deal on a new 1600B. That is the worst deal available to him. Give the guy a chance to look at the rangefinder and determine what is fair. I think the OP will remain a Leica customer when this is all said and done. Swarovski only offers a 2 year warranty on their rangefinder. He would be having similar issues with them. Its a year out of warranty, lightly used or not, the Leica representive is trying to make the customer happy. I suspect the Swarovski rep would be doing much the same. Why not wait until the outcome to determine if its fair or not. Leica enjoys a very good reprutation for a reason. I don't think the OP will be upset. I was impressed with the customer service AHB has given me.

What do you mean "take a chill pill and see what happens"?? It has already happened and we can see how it stacks up.

1. If you buy a Leica, they won't stand behind thier product. After the warrenty runs out, their product is worthless and can't even be fixed. So, you are in fact buying a very expensive throw away item.

2. If you do happen to want to get the product fixed, they make you buy into the next product and spend even more money on a prodcut that they still won't stand behind. So, when it breaks, you are just going to have to spend even more money on the new product. When, in fact, the company should repair their own product for a reasonable price. That's not too much to ask for.

3. No one was wanting anything for free here. All that people seem to want is for Leica to stand behind their own product. The OP didn't want free stuff and didn't ask for it.

4. Why should I buy from Leica??? I'd be paying top dollar for an item that could not be repaired after a reasonable amount of time. If my car has a three year warranty, and it runs out, I can still take it in to the dealer and get it fixed. Even, if it's 20 or 30 years old.

Like I said, good reason NOT to buy Leica.

I mean the unit has not even been returned to the Leica dealer. He has no idea why the unit isn't working. Try going anywhere with a product that the warranty has expired and see if they help you. Go see how Apple treats you when your iphone takes a dump and is out of warranty.

The fact is the Leica rep is still backing the out of warranty unit. He needs to see it to determine what can he can do. The worst that will happen, ie if it was damaged by the OP in a way that wouldn't be covered he will get a great deal on a newer rangefinder. If its something that is just wrong with the unit itself, something else may be offered.

The OP made a phone call, he didn't send it in. He was told over the phone what the worst that would happen would be. He was told that it is not cost effective to fix the rangefinder and that they have been replacing ones that have been damaged during the warranty.

Make a random phone call to a manufactuer of a range finder of your choice, tell them its a year out of warranty, but you hardly used it and see what they tell you. I don't think you will find any other manufactuer giving you any differnt answer. They are going to want to see the rangefinder first. I doubt they will repair them either even at your cost. I could be wrong so why not give it a shot and prove me wrong.

I would be interested to know which company making a rangefinder priced under $1,000 actually repairs rather than replaces their rangefinders when they come in. I would also like to know which companies continue to replace said rangefinder a year after the warranty has expired.

Vortex has already been mentioned, I haven't checked into their warranty so that would be a good start, but the fact is, its not "already done" the rangefinder hasn't been sent to the Leica representative, so why not wait and see what the rep says after he gets the rangefinder. That is what I mean by "take a chill pill"

What range finder are you thinking is going to give better customer service? I will call them from Iraq just to find out, I bet I have to wait until Monday to even get a response.

This whole ordeal has opened my eyes on treatment to my 1600. Really did not treat the unit as electronics. Will take better care of unit now. Love my 1600, just wish I had waited a week and would have been able to get the 1600-B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're right, hence why I said it's near new condition (barely used). Three years is not a long time either. I'm learning the hard way but will make sure I get a unit the has a <span style="font-weight: bold">better warranty</span> and better customer support.

Don't sit there and tell me you wouldn't be mad if it was your unit. </div></div>

Let us know when you find someone who offers more than a two year warranty on electronics...

I commend AHB for coming on here and talking us through the process (and for that I have some hope for the OP). However, if the OP would've accepted the fact he's shit out of luck... The Lieca reps never would've blinked an eye.

It cost you roughly $215 a year to use your disposable range finder.... I've seen Redfield rangefinders last longer then that! I bought a vortex pst just b/c the warranty is so damn good! I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Lieca product if they had a warranty/repair capabilities that showed promise.

Good luck OP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're right, hence why I said it's near new condition (barely used). Three years is not a long time either. I'm learning the hard way but will make sure I get a unit the has a <span style="font-weight: bold">better warranty</span> and better customer support.

Don't sit there and tell me you wouldn't be mad if it was your unit. </div></div>

Let us know when you find someone who offers more than a two year warranty on electronics... </div></div>

Vortex and Swarovski both have a limited lifetime warranty.

Also, the unit has been sent in. It won't be there until Friday. Like I stated, I'll get the 1600-B. I'm hoping it'll come with a new 2 yr warranty too.