• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fry's Electronics is closing........

Not even a going out of business sale? WTF?

I was in the Palo Alto Fry's just before the pandemic and there was hardly anything to sell besides some old DVDs and random cables.

Reactions: Bullfrog08
Everybody just goes to Amazon / eBay / aliexpress for most stuff these days.
The writing has been on the wall for those kinds of places for a long time.

Reactions: Basher
On a side note, I grew up with Fry's grocery stores. You can imagine my surprise when I get out of the Army, move back and discover that Fry's is an electronics store too.

The one by me boarded up all of their glass doors and windows diring the election. I thought they’d gone out then, but the sign just said they were open and it was in preparation for possible unrest. :ROFLMAO:

So they’ve had the outward appearance of being out of business for a long time, IMO. The past few years, the lot has more or leas been empty when I’ve driven by. Last time I was inside was maybe a year ago, give or take. It was like KMart when they were dying. Empty, dirty, and made me feel like I was inside an old warehouse they’d just hastily setup over the weekend as a front for the crack deals and prostitution going on out back. :ROFLMAO:

Fry's, IMO, has always sucked. The one in Manhattan Beach sucked for sure. I was on a trip to NorCal and visited one in Sunnyvale and that one was worse than the MB store.

I was at the Woodland Hills Fry's on Tuesday and was thinking wow this place is going to go out of business. It used to be the parking lot was always packed. They had like 30 checkout registers and the line would be a hundred people deep. When I went there were around 5 cars in the lot the shelves were mostly empty , one register was open and no one was in line. And its been like that since covid.

I've been waiting for the fantastic implosion of Best Buy for years now. Shittier brands seem to cling on to life at the end much longer than I always think they will (Kmart, Sears, JCPenny, RadioShack)

They have to be close behind. People at least liked Fry's.

• Love
Reactions: W54/XM-388
Computers are so cheap now, it isn't worth it to build your own.
Hell, your phone is more powerful than th ecomputers that you could build when Fry's first began selling electronics.
I remember the Computer Shopper days, you could order parts through them and build a computer.
Back in those days, Gateway computers were quite popular, because you could do a certain amount of customization.

Computers are so cheap now, it isn't worth it to build your own.

If you know what you are doing and want to have top notch performance, it's we'll worth it to heavily customize whatever you buy once you get it.
Things seem "cheap" from the ads you see for craptastic stuff. Once you start wanting the good stuff, it becomes much cheaper to either build, or simply get a base model and do all the upgrades you want to it on your own end.

Reactions: Huskydriver
If you know what you are doing and want to have top notch performance, it's we'll worth it to heavily customize whatever you buy once you get it.
Things seem "cheap" from the ads you see for craptastic stuff. Once you start wanting the good stuff, it becomes much cheaper to either build, or simply get a base model and do all the upgrades you want to it on your own end.
I should have included "for your average consumer".
What you say is true for computers, cars, motorcycles, boats and women. ;)

I should have included "for your average consumer".
What you say is true for computers, cars, motorcycles, boats and women. ;)

Exactly!

Supply may be another reason

and as I found out a few months into the covid mess last year, I could not buy components to build my own machine. Power supplies and reasonable video cards were priced like ammo is now *IF* you could find any. I ended up buying a pre-built machine as it was cheaper and available a couple days after I placed the order. I was going to upgraded it as needed, but it's been perfect, came with mostly Asus parts in it (shocked me).

As for Fry's I remember buying a handful of things from them over the years, but mostly sale priced items only. I am also not sure how Best Buy is still staying in business.

I will not feed the trolls

Last edited:
I heard about this store, a couple of my friends spoke well about it. But I still prefer to order electronics on aliexpress more. I have been using one extension for my browser for quite a long time that helps me with this. Alitools monitors changes in the prices of goods on AliExpress, displays the level of confidence in the seller, finds and shows reviews, tracks parcels.
Lol, nice try

Frys was in trouble pre-pandameic. As a (former) regular shopper, it was (past tense) the place to get your stuff and could compete with online retailers in price.

However, somewhere along the way, someone made a decision (I've been following the death spiral of Frys for many years) based on business to cut inventory--and that was always one of Fry's draws--they had everything. Suddenly they had no inventory. I remember asking them many years back what the deal was--"Post Christmas" I was told. Apparently they have been post 2018 Christmas going multiple years. I stopped in a few more times, but always less and less, to the point where I couldn't even find basics. So I stopped going--not worth my time.

Down the street, a competitor in Dallas called Micro Centre has no problems keeping the doors open. They have inventory, they have crap on the shelves (Keeping a giant store 1/2 empty never a healthy business strat). Amazon didn't kill Fry's. Fry's killed Fry's. Can't make a profit if you have nothing to sell.

Was good while it lasted. All good things must end.

On another note Best Buy remade themselves. Making big bucks on phones/tablets/TVs. The strong adapt. The weak die. I rarely buy at Best Buy but (1) They have stuff to purchase, (2) Obviously the doors are open (3) It appears they dropped the consumer PC business or scaled back and focused on other things.
I remember my first visit to Fry's in DFW (about 4 years after I'd moved away). HOLY SHIT they had it all. O-scopes, Flukes out the wazzoo. And yes, Micro Center has always kicked ass. Funny how Best Buy was almost in the Circuit City mode, but now...not much to say but they continue to do a hella bidness. Whoever led them from the doldrums earned his CEO salary.

Fuck Fry's they fucked me for the last time 25 years ago and have not been back