• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ft. Collins man wrongfully convicted!!

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
A man from Ft. Collins was wromgfully convicted and spent about 10 years in prison. The facts are all around the news here. He has sued and there is going to be a payout of over a million $, no one knows how much for sure. The DA and LEOs juked up the evidence against him and he was cleared by DNA after many years spent behind bars. My questions is, should not those that cooked up that evidence not be put behind bars, as the man was, rather than enjoy their retirements? I feel they should be prosecuted and let them do 10 to 15 behind bars as the wrongfully accused did and let them enjoy their retirement in prison. Let the State of Colorado receive their retirment checks to pay for their housing in prison. Regards, FM

Re: Ft. Collins man wrongfully convicted!!

Yeah this was news a few years ago. Crooked DA/Cops the usual MO around here, the sheriff dept are good people though.

I think he (I think his name is Jason, if I remember right) should get billions and the DA/Cops involved with the false evidence...life in prison.

I would say it would be hard to put a price on a mans freedom for 10 years. But one thing I do know is that a Millon isn't enough.

All the people that helped put the man in jail should do at least the same amount of time, that sounds like a good start.
(eye for a eye)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSGN8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the people that helped put the man in jail should do at least the same amount of time, that sounds like a good start.
(eye for a eye) </div></div>

Yes they should be punished and serve the same amount of time this guy did. Do you really think that is going to happen? No it will not these guys will still be sitting at home enjoying their retirment and saying oh well we did what we did and no one is going to do anything to us.

There was a guy around here that this happened to, as well. Except he did 28 years, before being exonerated.

David M.

Then there was another, as well. Forget his name. Point I'm making though, is that YES, I totally believe that the guilty "justice representatives" should do the same time, in the same places.

My father represented a man accused of rape about 25 years ago in central Indiana. There wasn't much evidence except that he was in the general area that night and that he'd been picked out of a lineup by one of the victims. This guy is one of the few people my father truly believed was innocent.

Well, the DA put together the evidence and based it all on the one victim's testimony. When the time came, the lady pointed my father's client out to the jury and said, "That's the man who raped me."

Fifteen years later, the DNA evidence came out that completely exonerated this guy who had lost his wife, his kids, his job, and all of his friends because they all believed he was a rapist. How much money can the state really compensate for those years and those relationships lost? But what's crazy is that no matter how screwed up our justice system is, it's WAY better than most justice systems throughout the world.

There was something like 300,000 cases awaiting DNA testing in Michigan. Can you imagine the number of people who would be locked up or released pending this!

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks the prosecutors should be held accountable for their actions. The guy did have some bad stuff going on but was a lightweight teenager who probably would not have had the strength to do the crime, what with the drag and all. I really do think that the DA's people and the LEOs that falsified evidence should be charged and face their day in court. As Ghost-1 said, I don't think it will happen, however, I think it should. This thing isn't over yet and there has been nothing in the local news so maybe something will happen. I think there will be a "silent settlement" where the taxpayers never know how much was paid out and it may be covered by insurance. I hope not, things like this need to come out and be public knowledge. Regards, FM PS I would guess that Larimer County and Ft. Collins PD will be asking for more tax money as they have incured "unforseen expenses" and are broke.

Wasn't a case like this in front of the Supreme Court recently?
If I remember right the lawyer for the DA tried to claim that there was no right to not have manufactured evedience used against the person accused. I kind of figured that took a lot of crust even for a lawyer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he (I think his name is Jason, if I remember right) should get billions and the DA/Cops involved with the false evidence...life in prison. </div></div>
I don't think the tax payer should be burdened that much for the sins of the crooked DA/Cops. Let the ones who did this injustice to him pay him back.

No the tax payer should be burdened with having tax raises and stuff just pay for what the crooked DA and Cops did. They should be the ones to pay out of their own pocket for this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No the tax payer should be burdened with having tax raises and stuff just pay for what the crooked DA and Cops did. They should be the ones to pay out of their own pocket for this. </div></div>
Why?

I seriously doubt that anyone will see a raise in taxes because of this. Governments (County, City) maintain insurance for civil settlements.

If it is proven that those involved knowingly and willingly manufactured or fabricated evidence and then allowed that evidence to be introduced into trial...not good.

the DA and cops involved should get life sentences for this.

does this mean u get 10 years of credit ? Bascially a get out of jail pass for 10 years
wink.gif

I'd be ticked. The people that wrongfully juked up evidence should go to jail as well for that amount of time.

I heard a little about this a while ago. I didn't get all of the details as I was driving a noisy truck but essentially, the thing was settled for $4.2 million out of court. The prosecution team or county or whatever, felt it would be best to pay up and not go to trial to defend their actions although they also felt they would come out on top if it did go to a jury trial but didn't want to take the risk. My thoughts were,"what bullshit. You fucked up big time and still can't admit it." This appeal was supported by a DA person and a LEO that smelled something that stunk bad. I think they were both trashed during the process but stuck to their guns. I admire them. I hope the bad guys in this case,LEOs and DAs are prosecuted and do at least as much time as Masters did but am a realist and know it won't happen. I would love to see them rot in prison. They will die someday and then get to shovel coal for eternity. Regards, FM

I just heard a spokesperson talking about this on the local news. The statement was made that they didn't want to take this to trial as it would cost a lot of taxpayer's money and it would be best to just settle although they felt sure that their case was good. I wanted to puke!!! How long could you hold a trial and expose everything with a budget of $4 million and put the guy back in prison if your case was good? Damn, I hope they clean up their act and admit to a fuckup. Regards, FM

$4.1 million. Nothing said as to being wrong. Withheld evidence, falsified evidence, but got a conviction. They have to be proud of that. Don't take it to a jury, Duh, that will make them look really bad. This whole thing makes anyone involved want to puke. Criminal charges need to come down on the LEOs and DA people involved. Hold those responsible up to the laws of the land. Charges need to be filed and someone's feet held next to the fire. As to the LEOs and DA people that knew this was wrong, we need them kept in office and need more like them. Unfortunatly, they have moved on as they were persecuted for taking a stand. My hat is off to them. I salute them for standing up and sticking to it. The A-holes that did this are probably still in power. Doesn't that give you a warm fuzzy feeling? If not in power and holding office, they are enjoying their retirements. FILE CHARGES!!! Take them down. They know what they did and it is not honorable. Regards, FM