• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition FTR 223 load help

DynamicAccuracy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
Mexico, MO
I have a friend who is a quadriplegic and has no use of his limbs. He wants to shoot competitively. I shoot PRS and haven't ever shot f class but it seemed like it would suit his situation perfectly. We went out yesterday to see what he could do and with 55gr fmj bulk ammo in an AR he was stacking them into a pretty nice group on a 415 yard steel plate and he hadn't ever shot that far. So I'm going to tune a load for his AR and handload for him. Im thinking a 73 or 75gr eldm with xbr8208 in lake city brass would do well but if there's a better option that will fit and feed from an AR mag im open to it.

I’m pretty sure the ELDM’s are to long to mag length load. I just put together a 20” AR and the advice I got was 77gr MK or the Berger OTM. XBR8208 at 23.6grs

I’m pretty sure the ELDM’s are to long to mag length load. I just put together a 20” AR and the advice I got was 77gr MK or the Berger OTM. XBR8208 at 23.6grs
I think with some 20rd ASC stainless mags that I have that are notched to make room for added length it might work. IIRC I can get 2.355 COAL with those

Reactions: TCKev
The 73 gr ELDM is made for AR mag length loads. I have played with them some, but not too much. You are are the right track with 8208 though.

The 73 gr ELDM is made for AR mag length loads. I have played with them some, but not too much. You are are the right track with 8208 though.
I know 75gr eldm and 8208 with matching headstamp lakecity brass shot SUPER tight groups in my 223 bolt gun

I use the 75gr ELDM and H4895 in my Tikka Varmint. My son has taken it out to 1400 yards. We have a team match this weekend.
I think if I still had a 223 bolt gun I'd probably run the 80gr eldm and get a little more BC and sacrifice a little speed. Seems to handle wind a bit better than the 75 does

I think if I still had a 223 bolt gun I'd probably run the 80gr eldm and get a little more BC and sacrifice a little speed. Seems to handle wind a bit better than the 75 does

I have 100 of the 80gr ELDMs to try. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

I shoot 77tmk sierra with tac, very accurate , no problem in standard mags

In f-class, you will have to put a "sled" in the magazine and load the rounds one at a time. Magazine length will not matter. I would suggest you find how long the throat is, and load shorter than a jam to start with. The guys I see shooting .223 (gas guns) are using the 80.5 grain Berger more than anything else.
Good luck and hope this works for your buddy.

My son shoots service rifle class using a 80g SMK, 23.7g Varget. Very accurate load for SR.

I would think that load would be fine for F class as well.