• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Full sized pick ups

mvphilly

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
NY
Are all the full sized new model trucks moving to a 4 cylinder engine?Looks like Sierra 1500 and Silverado are.They are a bit big for 4 cylinders no?

IMG_2828.jpeg

Are all the full sized new model trucks moving to a 4 cylinder engine?Looks like Sierra 1500 and Silverado are.They are a bit big for 4 cylinders no?
Not sure why you are assuming "all" when you essentially gave an example of one model truck, Sierra and Silverado are the exact same truck with different emblems. My 2022 F150 has a 5.0 V8 and they just started offering the Raptor with a V8.

Go figure GM "Government Motors" would..........LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
made in Mexico , Canada , or china not a lot of choices out there now a days used or rebuilt might be your only choices for getting an all American full sized truck or a truck if you can settle on a over priced toy the market is there for you life in plastic it's fantastic.
depositphotos_569133046-stock-photo-los-angeles-california-united-states.jpg

4f059410fa94c1deb988e04ec03c031caf5f5e39.jpg

real is so much better .

Used 5.7 tundra or a new/used F150 ecoboost would be my picks.

Is a 1500 even considered a "full-sized" pickup?
If you can't slide a 4x8 sheet of something in AND close the tailgate, it ain't a real truck. I won't even go into the tow capacity.

You forgot 4wd because sometimes it rains and I have a gravel driveway.

made in Mexico , Canada , or china not a lot of choices out there now a days used or rebuilt might be your only choices for getting an all American full sized truck or a truck if you can settle on a over priced toy the market is there for you life in plastic it's fantastic.
depositphotos_569133046-stock-photo-los-angeles-california-united-states.jpg

4f059410fa94c1deb988e04ec03c031caf5f5e39.jpg

real is so much better .
I just replaced my brakes all way round on my 2002 Chevy Express 3500. I told the mech 'Only American Parts, fuck the Chinese". Not an American or Canadian part to be found. Inda or Mexico if youre blessed from on high, otherwise CommieCrap.

Reactions: acudaowner
Is a 1500 even considered a "full-sized" pickup?
If you can't slide a 4x8 sheet of something in AND close the tailgate, it ain't a real truck. I won't even go into the tow capacity.
X act lee

These little things with a dual cab (sort of) and a 3 foot bed is not a truck, its a car with an extended tail. Then its a P/U until you hit one ton. There it becomes a truck. I even call my 1 ton van a truck, cause like Texas, its Beeeegg.

I drive an ‘01, f150, with a crew cab and a short bed. It’s hard to call it a pick up, let alone a truck. Although it does have a v8. So there’s that.

Four cylinders? WTF. I won’t even let my wife drive anything with less than 6. 85 is the minimum expected speed around here on all roads and getting out of the way is critical to surviving on the freeway. 1/2 a ton on a four banger is UNDERPOWERED.

Used 5.7 tundra or a new/used F150 ecoboost would be my picks.

You forgot 4wd because sometimes it rains and I have a gravel driveway.
My bad...I guess...4x4 is one of those things that should not have to be mentioned.

Reactions: BCP
I beg to differ.
View attachment 8140741

Cummins- Check
Manual trans- Check
4wd-Check
8ft Bed- Check

7c36fabe3e_640.jpg

I don't know looks like a truck to me....... :unsure:
Love that Dodge, but neither of these can be turned around in without crossing the county line or making a 100 point turn.

I tow more than most would with my 6.2L mothafukkinchevysilverado. If it takes more brakes, get the ‘02 single cab duramax dually with a flatbed. That was a truck, on its last legs now. (I can’t italicize text on my phone anymore, wtf)? I want a Dodge to replace it. More than that, Pete.

Oldie, but still funny once in awhile.

A toyota camry with a u-haul flatbed is more truck than most of you guys will ever need lol

This is literally me.

I’m always laughing at the people trying to fit 2x4x8’s or full sheets of plywood into their half trucks while I roll away in my gay ass Camry with trailer.

Titan only gets fired up to haul my camper.

Reactions: BCP
I test drove one of the silverado 4 cylinder turbos-- and it didn't feel underpowered at all. It took right off and had some go. I'm sure that changes fast when you pull a trailer- but sometimes you need a pickup without really needing a truck. I'd consider one for parts runs where you need a bed but wont be hauling much weight- especially considering what they are doing to diesel trucks with emissions. Our 18 duramax gets just over half the mpg that the 03 duramax did.

Reactions: Bender
X act lee

These little things with a dual cab (sort of) and a 3 foot bed is not a truck, its a car with an extended tail. Then its a P/U until you hit one ton. There it becomes a truck. I even call my 1 ton van a truck, cause like Texas, its Beeeegg.
I'm not surprised you have a van.

Does it say "fReE cAndY" on the side??

7lpv1x.jpg

The new 2.7L 4 banger that comes standard in Silverados is only 30tq shy of the 6.2L L87 and gets it at lower RPM. And let's be honest, torque matters more than horsepower for a pickup.

If properly equipped, modern half-tons have tow ratings equal to greater than 3/4 tons of two decades ago, though Gucci trims have done no favors for payload capacity.

That is a unicorn. Been quite hard to get an ext cab/4 dr, Cummins, with a manual, for a while. Must be early 2k? 2005-2010?
2018. I couldn't find what I wanted so I ordered it. That was the last year though. Only automatics now.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I'm not surprised you have a van.

Does it say "fReE cAndY" on the side??
Only on one side. The other says 'Free Ammo."

But remember a few years back when the two idiots were shooting people out of a van in Northern Virginia. I lived in Central Va and that was a touchy time.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AMGtuned
This is literally me.

I’m always laughing at the people trying to fit 2x4x8’s or full sheets of plywood into their half trucks while I roll away in my gay ass Camry with trailer.

Titan only gets fired up to haul my camper.
That trailer will shorten the life of the engine, but if you dont use it much and lightly should be ok.

• Haha
Reactions: Bradu
Full disclosure: I drive a 2017 Silverado "dealer inventory special" crew cab short bed 4x4 in LT trim with 5.3L engine that has done a little truck stuff.

FXjWN8i.jpg

0C26mgR.jpg

'Truck bros' talk about how anemic the 5.3L is, but it is rated to 355/383 which is a HELL of a lot better than trucks in the past. It feels anemic because of GEARING, both transmission and differential, as well as tuning (specifically GM torque management). Thats why people talk about how Tundras have balls - they've got like 4.30s and a 6 speed and get 14mpg.

I'm intrigued as hell by the 2.7L GM engine because as soon as Global B ECMs are *easily* defeated, tuners will be able to get that thing cranked up - especially on an E blend. GM making that the standard engine in the Colorado/Canyon was brilliant. It'll never sound as good as a V8, tho!

Full disclosure: I drive a 2017 Silverado "dealer inventory special" crew cab short bed 4x4 in LT trim with 5.3L engine that has done a little truck stuff.

FXjWN8i.jpg

0C26mgR.jpg

'Truck bros' talk about how anemic the 5.3L is, but it is rated to 355/383 which is a HELL of a lot better than trucks in the past. It feels anemic because of GEARING, both transmission and differential, as well as tuning (specifically GM torque management). Thats why people talk about how Tundras have balls - they've got like 4.30s and a 6 speed and get 14mpg.

I'm intrigued as hell by the 2.7L GM engine because as soon as Global B ECMs are *easily* defeated, tuners will be able to get that thing cranked up - especially on an E blend. GM making that the standard engine in the Colorado/Canyon was brilliant. It'll never sound as good as a V8, tho!
The fact they get that much tq already is amazing, tells me it has a long crank throw, it won’t be a high rpm/hp motor, but that’s ok. 400 ft lbs before 3k is near big block levels from 20 years ago.