• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Full sized pick ups

I've personally taken all of these photos in the last two years...its really too bad they didn't own a truck.

339805695_3442047739363414_4456658497114232978_n.jpg

335482638_3414570712123963_5522751176409876120_n.jpg

195445480_10115687864820078_1983291656138622583_n.jpg

294940402_10117106940236568_4253135743834407372_n.jpg
I saw one yesterday like that had a roof rack with luggage on top of the cab and another thing in the receiver with a cooler and fishing stuff in it and nothing in the back of the truck

I've personally taken all of these photos in the last two years...its really too bad they didn't own a truck.

339805695_3442047739363414_4456658497114232978_n.jpg

335482638_3414570712123963_5522751176409876120_n.jpg

294940402_10117106940236568_4253135743834407372_n.jpg

Lol. Those are the people I laugh at as I pull away in my gay ass Camry with trailer.

Good thing they’re probably wearing carhartt though. Hate for them to ruin their regular clothes unloading all that cargo.

This makes me wonder about people's reasoning ability. How, or why, would you be that stupid. If you need a crew cab, get one and buy a cheap trailer.

Used 5.7 tundra or a new/used F150 ecoboost would be my picks.

You forgot 4wd because sometimes it rains and I have a gravel driveway.
5.7 Tundra NA is 381HP 401lb-ft of torque and thats with no turbos to worry about. Supercharged is about 7-8 K and you wind up with 550hp and 550lb-ft of torque at the crank at just 7psi. I would take that any day over the new 3.5 Twin Turbo they have and any other out there honestly if I had to go with something that was not diesel. You can get a double cab with an 8ft bed if you want. The CrewMax has a 5.5 and the reg double cab has a 6.5 which I think is better.

Yeah you can tune the 4 cylinders which is cool...but what happens when the Turbos fail? Or you blow up the internals because of too much boost? I question reliability.

Last edited:
5.7 Tundra NA is 381HP 401lb-ft of torque and thats with no turbos to worry about. Supercharged is about 7-8 K and you wind up with 550hp and 550lb-ft of torque at the crank at just 7psi. I would take that any day over the new 3.5 Twin Turbo they have and any other out there honestly if I had to go with something that was not diesel. You can get a double cab with an 8ft bed if you want. The CrewMax has a 5.5 and the reg double cab has a 6.5 which I think is better.

Yeah you can tune the 4 cylinders which is cool...but what happens when the Turbos fail? Or you blow up the internals because of too much boost? I question reliability.

The 5.7 is a proven engine that lasts a looooooooong time.

F150 2.7 ecoboost felt the best behind the wheel for me.

They're all huge. Everybody uses a 3/4ton cab for the 1/2ton truck.

New Toyotas aren't any better or worse than the competition. It's not the 1990s when the beige toyota camry lasted for 900k miles.

The 5.7 is a proven engine that lasts a looooooooong time.

F150 2.7 ecoboost felt the best behind the wheel for me.

They're all huge. Everybody uses a 3/4ton cab for the 1/2ton truck.

New Toyotas aren't any better or worse than the competition. It's not the 1990s when the beige toyota camry lasted for 900k miles.
5.7 is very reliable. Maybe as much as the 4.7 or the 22r which is in that Camry :)

My family had one with a 460? engine when I was a teenager. It was the two brown color scheme with a crappy lift kit my doof of a father installed himself so the steering wheel had a mind of its own. That was when gas was a dollar a gallon and it was still too expensive to drive it very far.
460 is a big block gas...good motor though in F250s and 350s.

7.3 Diesel is a bad ass motor...

Personally I’m not worried about turbos. I’m more concerned with shitty lifters/cams and cam phasers which has been prevalent in Ford, GM, and Ram for quite some time. I’ve been around enough million mile turbos and beaten heavy equipment that turbos aren’t high on the priority list to worry about.

I see more supercharger issues because very few realize they have their own oil that needs changing.

Turbos oil off the engine oil pump, so not a big deal. Most likely they'll never need anything other than a rebuild with a new bushing and seals every few hundred thousand miles.

Turbos are using the waste heat from the exhaust to make power. Superchargers are parasitic drag that creates extra wasted heat.

There's a reason that nobody is using superchargers for much anymore.

I bet that turbo 4 will do just fine. It's got more power than the 454 that was in the 30' RV we used to tow a 20' enclosed trailer all over the country for MX as a kid.

I'd be more worried about it's ability to control a load coming down a hill than to get one up a hill. Maybe they'll get smart and use the variable geo turbo as an exhaust brake.

That said I'm not rushing to trade in my 6.7 Cummins for one :) One of the things I like most about it is the exhaust brake. It'll control it's speed without the service brakes on just about anything Colorado had to offer.

Reactions: Short-bus
This is literally me.

I’m always laughing at the people trying to fit 2x4x8’s or full sheets of plywood into their half trucks while I roll away in my gay ass Camry with trailer.

Titan only gets fired up to haul my camper.

The Camry is a great car, I just wish it had a V6. Got 83k on it now no hiccups.

As far as trucks go, I want an old school truck to haul but mainly I love the look/character those older trucks have.

Every normal (non exotic) car/truck seems the same to me.

All the towing you'll ever need:

View attachment 8140771

The 6.2L is a stormer.

I'd like to find an older V8 raptor but most of the ones I've seen have been beat to hell.
We cut down a lot of old trucks like that as tow rigs for Rodeo people. Barrel racers and such. It cost less than a new diesel pickup, they tow way better, have waaaayyyyyy better brakes, easily last 1 million miles, and get better milage while towing horse trailers with living quarters and such.

By cut down, I mean remove one drive axle so they don't need a CDL to drive it.

Oh and guess what OP, it only has 6 cylinder in it.

When you find an 8 foot bed.....only then will you find the full size truck you are looking for.

Is a 1500 even considered a "full-sized" pickup?
If you can't slide a 4x8 sheet of something in AND close the tailgate, it ain't a real truck. I won't even go into the tow capacity.

I think the 4 cylinder full size truck is marketed to people who buy trucks as a daily driver. They dont tow anything or need it as a work truck so they dont really need a V8.

Yeah and one gas tank for each 4cylinder.

I have one of those big ole Fords with an 8' bed and two tanks. The engine is the best one ever made the good ole 300 6. Cockroaches will be using that engine after we are gone. Great old truck, but not much use now as it, well rides like a truck.

My new car/truck rides like a car, gets gas mileage like a car, and I can put dirty stuff in the back....in some cases more then some other "trucks".

I do really like it, but it is about as far from the "manly" truck as you can get.

1684155896350.png

I wouldn't have any qualms with a 1/2ton truck having a turbo 4. Inline engines have less moving parts, leave more room around the engine to work on 'em, and as long as you gear them appropriately, and tune them well (especially with modern electronics, knock sensors, and other sensors) it'll do well for what 90% of folks could need 'em for. The i4 with turbo will be able to make more torque as a lower rpm than a na v8 of nearly any displacement. If the engineers were smart (which is doubtful) the cheaper to produce, smaller i4 block could be made better all around with a marginal increase in cost, but still a greater savings over the v8 that would give it more durability, which would decrease the amount of warranty claims on the engine. A 10 speed auto transmission would allow the i4 to stay within' it's most efficient rpm range more often when loads require it to be.

Branden

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
I wouldn't have any qualms with a 1/2ton truck having a turbo 4. Inline engines have less moving parts, leave more room around the engine to work on 'em, and as long as you gear them appropriately, and tune them well (especially with modern electronics, knock sensors, and other sensors) it'll do well for what 90% of folks could need 'em for. The i4 with turbo will be able to make more torque as a lower rpm than a na v8 of nearly any displacement. If the engineers were smart (which is doubtful) the cheaper to produce, smaller i4 block could be made better all around with a marginal increase in cost, but still a greater savings over the v8 that would give it more durability, which would decrease the amount of warranty claims on the engine. A 10 speed auto transmission would allow the i4 to stay within' it's most efficient rpm range more often when loads require it to be.

Branden
In 1938 Henry Ford realize the in-line four was a pile.
Hence the first V-8 engine.

I'm intrigued as hell by the 2.7L GM engine because as soon as Global B ECMs are *easily* defeated, tuners will be able to get that thing cranked up - especially on an E blend. GM making that the standard engine in the Colorado/Canyon was brilliant. It'll never sound as good as a V8, tho!

A couple points:

1) With the high-output version of the "little" 2.7L already making 430 ft-lbs at its peak, there won't be much left on the table beyond some optimization for premium fuel. I'm sure that tuners will create YOLO tunes that prove me wrong, but I'm not convinced that they'll allow the engine to survive the same abuse as the factory calibration.

Obviously, the low-output version leaves some low-hanging fruit.

I don't know how much extra fuel system capacity is available for running corn juice, but obviously running whatever amount of ethanol possible can help matters. I'm guessing a few engines will get lost figuring out the timing tables.

2) Defeating Global B won't be easy. Cracking ECMs is all fun and games until the manufacturer starts revoking security keys remotely.

In 1938 Henry Ford realize the in-line four was a pile.
Hence the first V-8 engine.
In 1914 Cadillac introduced the first v8, and with 5.1 liters and 70hp...which i'm sure was impressive in it's time, my daughters 1.8 liter 4 banger has double that and probly more torque as well with nearly 1/3 the displacement, and half the cylinders.

It would be interesting if it were possible to talk to Henry Ford and tell him that we have trucks coming out of factories for consumer purchase that feature over 1000lbs/ft of torque, and cars coming from factories with 10 times or more the horsepower of his first v8 that they introduced in 1932. That doesn't even mention the tuner cars that are streetable that have upwards of 3000hp from 5 liter v10's, and stroker v6's in GTR's.

My first "fast" car was a 1997 Mustang Cobra. 4.6L twin cam v8, 305hp. The corvette was only 300hp at the time, and that extra 5 for me might as well have been 100 to my dumb 18 year old ass at the time. Years later I had a Subaru that had the same amount of power stock, from half the displacement, and would smoke my old cobra without breaking a sweat. Now they have electric cars with 1000hp ratings that are running 9 second quarter miles from the factory. What's the next 20 years going to hold for technology development? It'll be interesting.

Branden

2) Defeating Global B won't be easy. Cracking ECMs is all fun and games until the manufacturer starts revoking security keys remotely.
Global B is bullshit.

Ford is like "its your car, go blow your shit up for all we care" and tuners take Ecoboosts WAY above stock performance while maintaining reliability, while GM is like "You may have purchased the vehicle, but the ECM will always belong to us."

Well, the thing about high power from a four banger is definitely reliability. Pretty avid Mustang fan here, despite my Duramax preference in my truck.

The Ford 6 cyl eco boost is a good motor. The 2.0 lower power ecoboost is as well.

The 2.3 has rightfully earned the nickname “ecoboom”. Had a 2019 with the dealer installed Ford Performance tune, 335 hp 375 torque. Fast car for sure, but had no issue putting a rod through the block with 28k miles and a light footed wife driving it.

Now have the 5.0 NA motor and will not try that shit again. A lot of people replace the blown 2.3 with a 2.0 block as it is a more robust design.

I had the same one except red in color. Great truck. Paint started to fade around 7 years and it needed an alternator. Oil, fluids, belts everything was very easy to get to. Should've kept it and driving it another 145k miles.

Reactions: Holliday
I had the same one except red in color. Great truck. Paint started to fade around 7 years and it needed an alternator. Oil, fluids, belts everything was very easy to get to. Should've kept it and driving it another 145k miles.
When I was young I did a short stint doing car detailing. We were always told to pick a red car for demos because for some reason red fades the fastest/most and the results of a polish are night and day.....

Looking at new trucks - currently have 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie "Hemi" with about 150,000 miles - been a great truck. For 2023, all the Ram "Hemis" are also "eTorque" so essentially hybrids. Regular Hemi V8 no longer available in Ram 1500. Started researching the "eTorque" and that is a lot of extra "stuff" to go wrong (sound like my dad). Ram claims a couple more MPG with all the "eTorque" but seems like this was driven by EPA. Guess I will keep my current 2015 Ram "non-eTorque".

Looking at new trucks - currently have 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie "Hemi" with about 150,000 miles - been a great truck. For 2023, all the Ram "Hemis" are also "eTorque" so essentially hybrids. Regular Hemi V8 no longer available in Ram 1500. Started researching the "eTorque" and that is a lot of extra "stuff" to go wrong (sound like my dad). Ram claims a couple more MPG with all the "eTorque" but seems like this was driven by EPA. Guess I will keep my current 2015 Ram "non-eTorque".
Brother in Law has a 2021 or 22 like that. Fucker rips for sure, but I would buy a Lariat Ford with PowerBoost before that.

A good friend, that is a legit Mopar guy and has lots of them; specifically steered away from it and got a straight gas job Hemi, due to needing the ability for a snow plow.

When I used to go on my tent camping adventures with my girls we had everything we'd need in the truck. So under the bed cover was full, and then the top had 10gal of jerry cans, traction boards, cooler, and the side open box was full of tools for any roadside issues that were within' my skillset to manage. Also had a 10lbs CO2 tank with 150psi regulator so i'd have the ability to fill up tires, and could even run air tools off of it. Being able to get at the tools without having to dig shit out of the bed is a major plus.

Inside of the truck was free of clutter, and since it's a megacab, the back seats recline and the girls can watch movies in comfort. I joke that the truck is a apartment on wheels, but it's not that far off. On solo trips i'll fold the back seats down and put a memory foam mattress in the back, and I can sprawl out and sleep quite comfortably in the back. Never have to pack up a wet tent, or worry about the weather.

If a small 1/2 ton truck was the only thing in my budget, I would make it work. The only time you really need the additional displacement, or horsepower, is if you're going to be towing a large camper, but even the 4 banger would pull a moderate camper for a small family. I will keep this diesel pretty much forever. This truck has been absolutely reliable as it gets. The only thing i'm not looking forward to, is it's about time for new injectors soon.

Branden
download.png

Global B is bullshit.

Ford is like "its your car, go blow your shit up for all we care" and tuners take Ecoboosts WAY above stock performance while maintaining reliability, while GM is like "You may have purchased the vehicle, but the ECM will always belong to us."

It'll come to Ford (and literally ever other OEM), eventually. The biggest difference is that Ford is known for working with a number of legitimate aftermarket companies, where GM most certainly is not. GM's stuff has been cracked primarily because it's been implemented so consistently and logically for almost 40 years.

And yes, GM has asserted that you may think you own the vehicle but you do not own the software.

Believe it or not, automotive cybersecurity is a UN mandate (UNECE 155), and in the US you've got NIST (under the Department of Commerce), the NSA, and the EPA all pushing on this from various angles (not to mention ISO and SAE). Resistance is futile; buy older vehicles which cannot be programmed OTA, and secure the resources you may need to keep them running. If those resources involve running software, the Cobb incident last year may suggest keeping this on an airgapped machine.

This bullshit was among the reasons I decided late last year to pursue work outside the auto industry.

Reactions: JR_77
It'll come to Ford (and literally ever other OEM), eventually. The biggest difference is that Ford is known for working with a number of legitimate aftermarket companies, where GM most certainly is not. GM's stuff has been cracked primarily because it's been implemented so consistently and logically for almost 40 years.

And yes, GM has asserted that you may think you own the vehicle but you do not own the software.

Believe it or not, automotive cybersecurity is a UN mandate (UNECE 155), and in the US you've got NIST (under the Department of Commerce), the NSA, and the EPA all pushing on this from various angles (not to mention ISO and SAE). Resistance is futile; buy older vehicles which cannot be programmed OTA, and secure the resources you may need to keep them running. If those resources involve running software, the Cobb incident last year may suggest keeping this on an airgapped machine.

This bullshit was among the reasons I decided late last year to pursue work outside the auto industry.
So what year pickup trucks are getting the "over the air" updates? Trying to decide on used vs new as I do not want OTA and - for example - the Ram Hemi "etorque".

OTA updates will be a pain just like the constant updates to your smartphone app in order to make the navigation work. The Toyota app (hot garbage btw, another reason to avoid new toyotas) needs an update every few days and it's hard coded so you cannot disable the updates.

So what year pickup trucks are getting the "over the air" updates? Trying to decide on used vs new as I do not want OTA and - for example - the Ram Hemi "etorque".

Global B is used on 2021-up GM full-size SUVs, '22-up 1500 pickups, and '24-up HD pickups. I don't know when the company intends to roll out OTA updates.

OTA updates will be a pain just like the constant updates to your smartphone app in order to make the navigation work. The Toyota app (hot garbage btw, another reason to avoid new toyotas) needs an update every few days and it's hard coded so you cannot disable the updates.

My biggest concern about OTA updates capabilities is that it will lead to the release and constant patching of poor-quality software - just like what we see in consumer products.

Reactions: E. Bryant