• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Full sized pick ups

Manufacturers are putting NA 4cyl engines in regular cars like Camrys that have as much or more power than a lot of V8's in trucks 20-30 years ago. They're more efficient and the newer trucks are lighter too. Then add a turbo to it and it's another story and you end up with the fuel mileage of some cars.

I personally wouldn't buy one because I need a full size truck for heavy towing, but for the uses of the majority of truck owners that just want the utility of the truck bed and maybe something they can tow a small trailer with from time to time an efficient 4cyl turbo engine is fine, especially in 1/2 ton trucks since they're not exactly exceptional tow vehicles anyway.

Reactions: cantankerous
Manufacturers are putting NA 4cyl engines in regular cars like Camrys that have as much or more power than a lot of V8's in trucks 20-30 years ago. They're more efficient and the newer trucks are lighter too. Then add a turbo to it and it's another story and you end up with the fuel mileage of some cars.

I personally wouldn't buy one because I need a full size truck for heavy towing, but for the uses of the majority of truck owners that just want the utility of the truck bed and maybe something they can tow a small trailer with from time to time an efficient 4cyl turbo engine is fine, especially in 1/2 ton trucks since they're not exactly exceptional tow vehicles anyway.

Awhile back one of the car magazines raced a whole bunch of factory original muscle cars against a V6 camry and the camry beat almost everybody. Only a couple beat the camry in the 1/4 mile, I think a big block corvette and a hemi cuda.

Reactions: 101st and AMGtuned
Was looking at 2023 Ram 1500s - no more 'regular" Hemis - only eTorque hybrid Hemi. Just no.

Issue I am seeing on the workshop side is that these new "high-output-per-displacement" engines seem to wear out remarkably quickly. Guessing it's a combination of trying to cut costs on manufacture, servicing intervals being extended too far and that the engines are constantly working hard.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
You do realize that's where the industry has shifted right? There are 4cyl ecoboost F150's and transits that get driven around all day as work trucks hauling tools and have 200K+ on them. Tons of standard cars that get driven all day as Ubers, Lyfts, and rideshares. So, no, they aren't wearing out remarkably quick.

When I was a kid, my dad had a 1986 C-10 longbed work truck with 4.3L V6 and TH350. That engine was spec'd to like 140hp/225tq.
That engine was a frigging tank, lasting north of 500k miles without significant maintenance. It hauled cords of firewood, towed boats and dune buggies, even a Cat dozer track a time or two...but the only way the truck could get out of its own way *unloaded* was gearing and with any weight in the bed or hitch was getting gapped by K-Cars.

The old days aren't always "good", and IMO we're lucky to have the hp/torque, fuel economy and reliability we get in modern engines.

Reactions: E. Bryant and BCP
You do realize that's where the industry has shifted right? There are 4cyl ecoboost F150's and transits that get driven around all day as work trucks hauling tools and have 200K+ on them. Tons of standard cars that get driven all day as Ubers, Lyfts, and rideshares. So, no, they aren't wearing out remarkably quick.
I know all too well that's where the industry has shifted. Merely stating what I see in dealership workshops. Only engines I have dealt with since starting mechanic-ing professionally about 15 years ago, that I have had to replace more of for wear more than these little piss-ant turbo engines, are electric drive motors...

Yeah not sure about that one but the transit vans are legit, great reliable work vehicles.
Yep, I have the long, tall, t350 dually. Ford knocked it out of the park w this vehicle.
Unbelievable how this thing maneuvers through the city. U turns, parking in small spaces, far better than our pickups.
The 3.5 Ecoboost leaves us nothing to be desired but the fuel milage which is easy for us to overlook

View attachment 8140899

The new 2.7L 4 banger that comes standard in Silverados is only 30tq shy of the 6.2L L87 and gets it at lower RPM. And let's be honest, torque matters more than horsepower for a pickup.

If properly equipped, modern half-tons have tow ratings equal to greater than 3/4 tons of two decades ago, though Gucci trims have done no favors for payload capacity.
Well I beg to differ. Owned a Ford 250. Used it to haul mid sized trailers. Choose the 300 six because it had such good torque numbers low down where its supposed to matter. Well, it might have been sorta good on the 0 to 2.5 mph test, but after that, never owned such an anemic vehicle. My old smog truck, a 2 barrel 350 Chevy in a 1974 half ton pulled much stronger and in its day, I was hard pressed to imagine how an engine could be that big and that anemic. Yet the Ford topped it. (Or should I say Followed it). Had to downshift to climb moderate hills on the interstate While maintaining 50 to 55 mph with a lightly loaded trailer. And it struggled.

Nowadays, I stick to my V-8 Chevy’s and GMC’s. Our ancient 2000 3/4 ton Suburban with the 6 liter gas pulls trailers like they arn’t even there. Any speed the highway demands. The 2020 GMC half ton pickup with the 5.3 liter pulls hard, tows trailers just fine.

A story I often like to tell. While pulling our S2 7.9 on Interstate 10 at 70 mph (All up trailer weight, right at ‘only’ 7000 pounds) had a blowout, on the trailer. Never would have known if we had not heard the noise. That 6liter V-8 just pulled and pulled.

Trucks are for pulling. V-8’s are for trucks. (Unless its a v-10 or a Cummings Diesel, they are for trucks too)

Now for the sad story. This is the last day I ever saw our S2. Outside she looked fine. but Hurricane Sally totally destroyed her interior. She was well past saving due to the cost and time it would take to make her right. She was a fun boat that could go anywhere and was fast to boot.

All up weight for this more than waterlogged boat was probably 10K or more.

593F3410-15B0-498F-9C1E-70C1B25F61CD.jpeg

Last edited:
got quite a bit of ride time in my buddies new 2023 Denali 1500 with the 3.0 Duramax.. 26-28mpg, and plenty of torque to do whatever you need up to 12-14k id guess (not sure on tow rating).

Truck was extremely comfortable, and the engine was very smooth, plenty of power for around town and light/medium towing, and at 26-28mpg, i wish I didnt own a gasser in my GMC Sierra.

pretty damn impressed, and if I was in the market, something Id STRONGLY be considering

Hard to believe this was only $39K when I ordered it new in 2014.

IMG_4712.jpeg

IMG_4713.jpeg

I just replaced my brakes all way round on my 2002 Chevy Express 3500. I told the mech 'Only American Parts, fuck the Chinese". Not an American or Canadian part to be found. Inda or Mexico if youre blessed from on high, otherwise CommieCrap.
Did you check for PFC brake pads?

Reactions: Maggot
Full disclosure: I drive a 2017 Silverado "dealer inventory special" crew cab short bed 4x4 in LT trim with 5.3L engine that has done a little truck stuff.

FXjWN8i.jpg

0C26mgR.jpg

'Truck bros' talk about how anemic the 5.3L is, but it is rated to 355/383 which is a HELL of a lot better than trucks in the past. It feels anemic because of GEARING, both transmission and differential, as well as tuning (specifically GM torque management). Thats why people talk about how Tundras have balls - they've got like 4.30s and a 6 speed and get 14mpg.

I'm intrigued as hell by the 2.7L GM engine because as soon as Global B ECMs are *easily* defeated, tuners will be able to get that thing cranked up - especially on an E blend. GM making that the standard engine in the Colorado/Canyon was brilliant. It'll never sound as good as a V8, tho!
My early 2019 Silverado is identical to yours (same color even) except that it's 2WD. Curious how much your RV trailer weighs. My trailer has a gross weight of 7,800 lbs. Tows fine with the 5.3. Just wondering how much bigger I could tow.

Has anyone ordered or driven a 2023 Tundra?
I looked at them for my last lease ending in a 21 Tundra. It was a no for me since it only comes with a turbo V6 now. That might be fine for average driving but I like cylinders for towing.

A friend has a 23 Tundra for towing a boat and loves it.

Reactions: mvphilly
My early 2019 Silverado is identical to yours (same color even) except that it's 2WD. Curious how much your RV trailer weighs. My trailer has a gross weight of 7,800 lbs. Tows fine with the 5.3. Just wondering how much bigger I could tow.

Depends on your rear end gearing, should be rated for 9200lb+ with 3.42s and 2WD.

My travel trailer was 7636 GVWR, it pulled it fine. If you aren't dealing with grades then I'd send it, but I'm the kind of guy that hits a scale (at least once) to ensure truck GVWR and GCWR aren't exceeded.

Reactions: rhsc
Depends on your rear end gearing, should be rated for 9200lb+ with 3.42s and 2WD.

My travel trailer was 7636 GVWR, it pulled it fine. If you aren't dealing with grades then I'd send it, but I'm the kind of guy that hits a scale (at least once) to ensure truck GVWR and GCWR aren't exceeded.
That's sensible. BTW, I was mistaken about my trailer's weight as checking the placard again shows it actually topping out at 7,000 lbs.

Love my 2013 6.7 powerstroke. My only complaints are it’s cost of maintenance and known defects in OEM systems like the radiators, turbo, and high pressure fuel pump. I’ll happily but slowly replace these systems with aftermarket upgrades because I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices of anything new, which have their own set of problems.