• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

IMG_2358.jpeg

I'll refer you back to the photo. Every time it plays, it is different. Highs and lows (surface features), get smoothed by the needle, corners get knocked off, and gradually the sound degrades (not so gradually, by the way). On a level of the magnification of the photo, it is plain to see that sound reproduction is going to be poor. Electronics can only stifle the hiss, and pop, and scratchy sounds of a needle abrading the groove smoother, which further muddies the sound. Records were made from tapes, through a analog mixer, hand mixed by an engineer who did it mostly by ear (and had been doing it for years, which meant his hearing was degrading as he got more and more skilled), Then came Digital tape recording, then direct to digital, with a digital readout, so that sound could be visually corrected, limited only by how many channels you divided up the spectrum. Digital recording CAN produce the most fidelity of all mediums of reproduced music or sound in general, depending on how it is mixed. What so called "audiophiles" (read that as "vinyl cave people") decry is missing tonal variances, and that is usually up to the engineer. He can capture it all, and it can be reproduced pretty well, provided the mixing board is high enough quality. One of my brothers was a tech at Bose, and the rest have been in the music industry and performers for decades. So, yeah, I know what I am talking about.
Incidentally, you are correct. Vinyl cannot be matched by anything else, It is the worst possible method of sound reproduction and no beeter than a Victrola, until you attach a bunch of high end electronics to it. Nothing else is as bad.
I spent several hours and days in Matt Finks recording studio( former keyboard player for Prince and the Revolution) . He is a pair of ears attached to a heart, the man could pick up everything. He’d play a tape and say “ hear that “, back up , play again. Time and time again. It was amazing to me what he could do.

What is the brand and model number of this? Have a aluminum percolator at deer woods now, this looks interesting.. Thanks

This is all I got. Had it since I graduated college!!! Only started really using it about 5 years ago. Myth of percolators making bad coffee and all.

IMG_2379.jpeg

Myth indeed!!!

IMG_2382.jpeg

Start with good coffee beans and well water…. Get great coffee!!!

Sirhr

IF you can ever find the place to be open.
Yea, been by there a bunch of times, never seen a single car in the lot.
East side of CdA, north side of hwy (don't recall hwy #) just west of huge RV park, across hwy from lake.
Know the area very well.
These days Wolf Lodge is packed every night. Good steaks.

What is the brand and model number of this? Have a aluminum percolator at deer woods now, this looks interesting.. Thanks
Those are from the 40s or so Pyrex, made in USA.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Those ate from the 40s or so Pyrex, made in USA.

For the record… mine was from May 1988. Not the ‘40’s. Graduation present from the guy who taught me to hunt and shoot… because percolator coffee at deer camp was a thing. And as I headed off to North Carolina for a new life… coffee was a thing.

Just ‘sayin.

Cheers!