• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

1606824037997.png

those sawstops are a fine piece of kit......however you can save yourself a bunch of cash by using a $5 piece of plastic and always cut assuming you are going to slip, and position your hands accordingly.

41Rw7Vdb7cL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I managed to saw off a fingertip about 30 years ago. Tried many versions of push sticks. This is my choice today...

I have several MicroJigs around the shop and they're especially good for joiner and router work. I've also made many different push sticks in the last 50 years of woodworking, but if I ever fully recover from chemo and get back in the shop, I'm getting a SawStop. I come from 3 generations of carpenters, that died with all their fingers, and plan to carry on the tradition. 👍

Working as a general contractor, cabinetmaker and especially as a framer, I've seen and done more dangerous crap with a worm gear skilsaw than any tablesaw! Be careful!

I look forward to little jobs as its an excuse to buying new tools, tools that get used infrequently but are bought with the idea in mind i am some sort of pro.

When the downstairs closet need to be lined with cedar I of course need a table saw that cost more than the cedar and the time it took to install.

This thing is a beast....

View attachment 7488150

Its just so nice to be using nice tools and the work really does show when you do it right.

Anyway....as i like to do jobs outside my skill set I am probably the most at risk guy out there.

Hi power table saws, My Stihl 440.........I should probably not be allowed near such things.
Sawstop does have a job site saw. It's only $1400. Buy once cry once. But is it really cry once or saving a cry because not having to pay medical bills?
66891-01-1000.jpg

I have several MicroJigs around the shop and they're especially good for joiner and router work. I've also made many different push sticks in the last 50 years of woodworking, but if I ever fully recover from chemo and get back in the shop, I'm getting a SawStop. I come from 3 generations of carpenters, that died with all their fingers, and plan to carry on the tradition. 👍

Working as a general contractor, cabinetmaker and especially as a framer, I've seen and done more dangerous crap with a worm gear skilsaw than any tablesaw! Be careful!
Cool stuff people are working on.

Have a 5HP Unisaw in my shop with a sliding side and out feed tables. The thing is a beast and need to be careful with kickback since it will launch a board if it binds. Always keep the riving knife installed when ripping and stand to the side of the board as well as using push sticks which are made out of scrap. Know people who have lost fingers on table saws as well as jointers generally because the piece of wood is too small. Shapers make me nervous and primarily use a large router table when shaping wood.

Know that place well. In the movie Tremors,there is a scene shot at the base of those rocks. There is an electrical fixture (very high power, I think) at the base of those close rocks (on the left side), at ground level. That's where the small truck was parked when the geologist/siesmologist and the two lead characters jumped in, running from the graboid. There is a lot of infrastructure all over that area, to support making movies. My kids and I have boulder'd all over there. Best rocks are on the complete other side of the large moraine that is on the right side of the photo. Can't see it, but there is a road that goes up to Whitney Portals, along the base of mountains, and goes around the corner of the left side of the one with the pink coloration from the sun. There would be a distinct improvement if CA was cut off from Nevada WEST of this mountain chain.

Reactions: Sgt47
Cool stuff people are working on.

Ive had a shit load of kickback after years of running a circular saw, but maybe one or two got my attention....even then the reflex and expectation was enough to handle it. I can always tell when it is coming. Save this for the Ryobi users. I would get annoyed by a saw shutting off with any kind of kickback. Most times I tense up and power thru it. Interested in others thoughts.

I have a worm drive saw too, love that old thing.

Reactions: Sgt47
Ive had a shit load of kickback after years of running a circular saw, but maybe one or two got my attention....even then the reflex and expectation was enough to handle it. I can always tell when it is coming. Save this for the Ryobi users. I would get annoyed by a saw shutting off with any kind of kickback. Most times I tense up and power thru it. Interested in others thoughts.
Never had but one get close to being dangerous. You can, like you said, feel when it is coming.

Powering through usually works when you have a good hold with both hands. The scary ones I've had are when you're reaching out with a Skil 77 in one hand, doing something like trimming rafter tails.

"Lefty" Jason..........makes one wonder when talking about saws.
Always been left handed and left eye dominant. Only accident I've ever had with power tools was with a compact router to left thumb while at work. Hence thumbnail-les.

I also smashed my right pointer finger nail breaking the growth plate when I was 8 with a short handled 8lb sledge.

Reactions: pmclaine
Kickbacks are no joke.

In high school I had a board kick out of a wood planer. (yes, Im old enough to have gone to HS when shop was still a thing) I had just started to feed it in and I didn't have time to get my hand out of the way. Ended up breaking a small bone in my wrist in half. Didn't know it was broke for 6 months. I was in a cast for a year, surgery and still have problems to this day. Doc told me a few years ago, that if there was one bone you don't want to break, that was it.