• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

Towing-cpacity.jpg

That reminds me. I was wondering if, in case of Mad Max, you could setup a still and distill moonshine to power a gasoline engine? Must research further.
Sure if you know what your doing. Alcohol has roughly 1/2 the energy per volume than gasoline. On a carburetor equipped engine you have to double the size of the jets.

On EFI either bigger injector and/or different software inside engine computer (ecm/pcm).

Due to this fact MPG is 1/2 of Gasoline (can't break the laws of physics)

"Flex fuel" vehicles have a few upgrades to be able to burn up to 80% alcohol.

Fuel pump with 2x flow of gasoline only
Fuel system is entirely stainless steel, plastic, viton. (No rubber)

And a sensor that can detect % of alcohol so the computer can make proper adjustments.

That reminds me. I was wondering if, in case of Mad Max, you could setup a still and distill moonshine to power a gasoline engine? Must research further.
Sure if you know what your doing. Alcohol has roughly 1/2 the energy per volume than gasoline. On a carburetor equipped engine you have to double the size of the jets.

On EFI either bigger injector and/or different software inside engine computer (ecm/pcm).

Due to this fact MPG is 1/2 of Gasoline (can't break the laws of physics)

"Flex fuel" vehicles have a few upgrades to be able to burn up to 80% alcohol.

Fuel pump with 2x flow of gasoline only
Fuel system is entirely stainless steel, plastic, viton. (No rubber)

And a sensor that can detect % of alcohol so the computer can make proper adjustments.

Might be easier just to buy a vehicle with an old school Diesel engine. Extra bonus if you have a manual compression release lever on it.
Then you can just adapt it to run on the boiled down fat of your enemies.....

I love the P40E Warhawk as much as the next guy but the camera guy had to be fast as that Allison engine would not keep that airframe vertical for very long.........that aircraft was underpowered.........
decent power just too heavy
lot of armor and lot of ammo
stories of japs using all their ammo and the hawk was still flying
if i remember it would do 360 mph

Getting a permit to distill alcohol for fuel is not very expensive. There is some paperwork of course, but not an unreasonable amount. Only a real bone head would get a permit for fuel alcohol and then use that alcohol for human consumption. I'm pretty sure that BATFE would watch people who say they are distilling for fuel pretty closely...it is their job after all.

I think it would be a better idea to get one of the systems that can turn waste oil and fats from restaurants or other sources of fats and oils into fuel for a diesel engine. Between the two, I would go with the diesel.

Getting a permit to distill alcohol for fuel is not very expensive. There is some paperwork of course, but not an unreasonable amount. Only a real bone head would get a permit for fuel alcohol and then use that alcohol for human consumption. I'm pretty sure that BATFE would watch people who say they are distilling for fuel pretty closely...it is their job after all.

I think it would be a better idea to get one of the systems that can turn waste oil and fats from restaurants or other sources of fats and oils into fuel for a diesel engine. Between the two, I would go with the diesel.
In the scenario I was talking about, permits wouldn't be the issue. I was actually more wondering if you could produce something out of a moonshine still that could actually run a car.

Personally, I would not want to live through such a scenario.

Last edited:
In the scenario I was talking about, permits wouldn't be the issue. I was actually more wondering if you could produce something out of a moonshine still that could actually run a car.

You may also need to decide if it's worth more in your belly or your gas tank in that scenario.

Yes, it could be done, but you would probably need a reflux still rather than the more standard pot still with a thump keg. A pot still with a thumper can usually get 120-160 proof. A properly set up reflux still can get higher proof alcohol... Normally, the reflux still produces alcohol with less flavor, but in the situation you are considering, flavor is of no concern. You could always mix the high proof alcohol with gasoline to stretch your fuel supply.

I think Brazil uses a lot of alcohol to run they vehicles. The country has infrastructure set up for that, and cars are tuned to run on it. It is sort of neat that they have a surplus of corn and other things from which they can distill alcohol for fuel.