• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

1626966632490.png

Exactly. The Earps helped to get a gun control ordinance passed in Tombstone which prohibited carrying firearms unless someone had a permit.

Of course, only Wyatt, his family and friends could get permits.

About thirty minutes before the gunfight, Wyatt was seen in the street pistol whipping Tom Mclaury over the head while he was kneeling. Wyatt kept shouting, “are you healed, you son of a bitch?”

Asking someone if they were “healed” in those days was asking if they were armed.

Wyatt was hoping McClaury would pull a gun as an excuse to shoot him.

The McClaury brothers, Clantons and two others were trying to leave town in accordance with the ordinance. IMHO the Mclaury brothers and Billy Clanton were murdered.

The Earps were all about gun control. Also recall the Cruikshank decision by the SCOTUS years earlier which said the second amendment was a restriction on the federal government not the states.

That is one of the reasons that the 14th amendment was ratified.

Arizona didn’t become a state until 1912. So someone correct me if I’m wrong. SCOTUS interpretation at the time said 2A was a limitation on the federal government. Therefore since Arizona was a territory in 1881 the Earp gun control ordinance would have been unconstitutional.

Regardless of that, it didn’t help the Mclaury bothers and Billy Clanton.

Let’s not have television shows or movies where Wyatt ran whore houses in Peoria and Wichita.
Nope.
I’ve never read or heard of the pistol whipping conversation prior to the shootout, but if it did occur,
Wyatt wasn’t asking if Tom McLaury was “healed”, he was asking if he was “heeled”.
The inquiry wasn’t about medicine or religion, it was about the status of being armed or not being armed.

Nope.
I’ve never read or heard of the pistol whipping conversation prior to the shootout, but if it did occur,
Wyatt wasn’t asking if Tom McLaury was “healed”, he was asking if he was “heeled”.
The inquiry wasn’t about medicine or religion, it was about the status of being armed or not being armed.

From Tombstone:
Johnny Tyler:
Somethin’ on your mind?

Wyatt Earp:
Just wanna let you know

You’re sitting in my chair.

Johnny Tyler:
(small laugh) Is that a fact?

Wyatt Earp:
Yeah it's a fact.

Johnny Tyler:
Well for a man that don't go heeled, you run your mouth kinda reckless don't you?

Wyatt Earp:
No need to go heeled to get the bulge on a tub like you (said laughingly)

Johnny Tyler:
Is that a fact?

Wyatt Earp:
Mmmmmm, (blows smoke towards Johnny) That's a fact.

Johnny Tyler:
Well,... I'm real scared.

Wyatt Earp:
Damn right you're scared. I can see that in your eyes.

Johnny Tyler:
Alright now.

Wyatt Earp:
Go ahead...Go ahead skin. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

Johnny Tyler:
Listen Mister, I-I'm-I'm getting awfully tired of your-

Wyatt Earp:
I’m getting tired of your gas. Now

Jerk that pistol and go to work.

Wyatt Earp:
I said throw down boy.

Wyatt Earp:
You gonna do somethin' or just stand there and bleed?

Wyatt Earp:
No?... I didn't think so

Funny thing, its Billy Bob Thornton that plays Johnny Tyler. Even knowing while rewatching I couldn't quite believe it.

Reactions: klf
Colfax County, near the village of Cimarron
Beautiful Country. Worked on the UU Bar when I was in college and some of your pictures looked familiar. We used to drive cattle over the mountain on horseback from Rayado to Black Lakes which took three days. We would spent the first night in Garcia Cabin and the next at Aqua Fria. Horse trailers would meet us at Black Lakes for the trip back to Cimarron. Lived in the bunkhouse at Rayado one year then at the old Nairn Place now known as Case de Gavilan. I was primarily a welder and equipment operator but all chipped in for cattle work when required. We would brand over 4000 calves each year the old fashioned way with three separate crews, roping, flanking, branding, nut cutting, ear marking and vaccinating. It was a real production.

Beautiful Country. Worked on the UU Bar when I was in college and some of your pictures looked familiar. We used to drive cattle over the mountain on horseback from Rayado to Black Lakes which took three days. We would spent the first night in Garcia Cabin and the next at Aqua Fria. Horse trailers would meet us at Black Lakes for the trip back to Cimarron. Lived in the bunkhouse at Rayado one year then at the old Nairn Place now known as Case de Gavilan. I was primarily a welder and equipment operator but all chipped in for cattle work when required. We would brand over 4000 calves each year the old fashioned way with three separate crews, roping, flanking, branding, nut cutting, ear marking and vaccinating. It was a real production.
When I was young, dyslexic and struggling mightily in school, all I ever wanted to do, all I ever dreamed about doing is what you just described. IQ scores don’t matter much when everything in life is backwards. Hated school with a passion hard to be believed. Especially hard when one considers that I spent my final years before retirement as a teacher.

never owned that ranch, never worked on that range, but as a part-time obsession, we owned a small place in North Louisiana, ran a few cows, mostly for our own consumption and trained horses. Loved working with the horses but miss them no more.

Reactions: BigDaddy0381
When I was young, dyslexic and struggling mightily in school, all I ever wanted to do, all I ever dreamed about doing is what you just described. IQ scores don’t matter much when everything in life is backwards. Hated school with a passion hard to be believed. Especially hard when one considers that I spent my final years before retirement as a teacher.

never owned that ranch, never worked on that range, but as a part-time obsession, we owned a small place in North Louisiana, ran a few cows, mostly for our own consumption and trained horses. Loved working with the horses but miss them no more.
Know a few very smart and talented people who are dyslexic. A good friend of my BIL has a son who is dyslexic and extremely smart and talented. Owns a high end architectural millwork shop and works almost exclusively for high end clients and celebrities in NYC. Have a learning disability myself (dyscalculia) which went undiagnosed until my wife who has advanced degrees in child development figured it out.

Nope.

You are correct on the spelling. The misspelling error is my fault but I've always understood that he wasn't asking about the other's health.

Regarding the pistol whipping incident here's the link from a source you linked in your posting.

As far as the conversation, I read about it in the book, "And Die in the West: The Story of the O.K. Corral Gunfight" by Paula Marks.

I'm traveling now and don't have access to the book, otherwise I would cite page number and/or any reference she mentions.

Reactions: John_in_WYO
You are correct on the spelling. The misspelling error is my fault but I've always understood that he wasn't asking about the other's health.

Regarding the pistol whipping incident here's the link from a source you linked in your posting.

As far as the conversation, I read about it in the book, "And Die in the West: The Story of the O.K. Corral Gunfight" by Paula Marks.

I'm traveling now and don't have access to the book, otherwise I would cite page number and/or any reference she mentions.
Thanks for the clarification.
I’ll look up the book and read it, too.

Reactions: Longshot231
Know a few very smart and talented people who are dyslexic. A good friend of my BIL has a son who is dyslexic and extremely smart and talented. Owns a high end architectural millwork shop and works almost exclusively for high end clients and celebrities in NYC. Have a learning disability myself (dyscalculia) which went undiagnosed until my wife who has advanced degrees in child development figured it out.
Patton was severely dyslexic. Failed his first year at Westpoint. But was so driven and smart that he memorized all his lessons by rote and is still one of America’s greatest generals.

Dyslexia is a challenge. The smart use it as a motivator. Others use it as an excuse.

Other dyslexics… Einstein. Nikola Tesla. Keanu Reeves. Galileo. Picasso. Edison. Jules Verne. Alexander Graham Bell And if those arent inspirational…. Ozzy Osborne and The Fonz.

Dyslexia and Aspergers are often associated with off the charts genius.

Sirhr