• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

Put my deposit down on Starlink, Elon Musk is bringing real internet to us folks in the sticks.

so I’m not freeloading

152901017_10217661288353717_3973695019812399482_o.jpg

Spent many Friday and Saturday nights turn to mornings out drag racing.
From 1966 until I joined the Navy. Had some really nice and fast cars in that era.
Took my DL test in a 59 Vette ,My first car was a 57 Chevy 2 door post with a 427 out of a wrecked 68 Vette. We seldom got in trouble , or had any crashes. Couple of tickets here and there. Small town America in those days had benefits.

Edit for pictures : The picture of the 59 Vette I took my DL test in. My Uncle in the checkered shirt owned it. He was a Navy Corpsman then called Pharmacist Mates attached to the Marines from 1942-1944. We would drive to the closest Drag Strip 100 miles away from home. Change the rear tires to cheater slicks , uncap the headers , and run consistent 12.50‘s ET for the 1/4 mile.

He sold the 59 Vette in 1975 for basically chump change : ( He then bought and drove a 66 Vette , until he physically had trouble getting strapped in. I drove for him a couple of seasons at a local 1,000 ft. strip. Small Block , mostly all aluminum...block, heads etc. Ran on VP Racing Fuel , no nitrous , bulletproof Powerglide. Ran in the low 8’s / 120 mph in 1000 ft......Only time on a 1/4 mile strip ran in low 10’s close to 130 mph.
Great times and memories ! He was a charter member of NHRA , like Member 125 !
He passed away at age 97 , never lost his love and need for speed !! 👍

Attachments

• 78A2BA69-8C68-4F61-9781-E7EC88B93CD2.jpeg
    78A2BA69-8C68-4F61-9781-E7EC88B93CD2.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 13E0D45E-9BB6-4BC1-80D0-01485CDF0E28.jpeg
    13E0D45E-9BB6-4BC1-80D0-01485CDF0E28.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
A cubic yard of concrete weighs approx 4050 pounds, what is your point? Obviously weight works best for the producer not the consumer. Concrete is mixed by weight, but as a customer service is converted to cubic yards so the buyer knows how much to order. It would be a customer service of course but it could be done on top soil to rock also. just an average would be nice, if a place offered 15 different gravels they wouldn't have to weight/volume every single one.

I thought my point was rather obvious.

If you are loading a vehicle or trailer, they have their carrying capacity as a weight, not as a volume.

That being the case, a trailer that is rated to carry 1 ton could carry 1 cubic yard of topsoil but would be grossly overloaded by a cube of gravel.

• Haha
Reactions: 2ndamendfan
I thought my point was rather obvious.

If you are loading a vehicle or trailer, they have their carrying capacity as a weight, not as a volume.

That being the case, a trailer that is rated to carry 1 ton could carry 1 cubic yard of topsoil but would be grossly overloaded by a cube of gravel.
My dump trailer paperwork says (suggests?) it will dump 6800lbs. I have been creeping up past that, it has monster axles and tires but the issue is “will it dump” what I put on it.

I had gotten up to about 8500 and was about at its (and my) limit with that. It towed well and dumped easily at that weight and I was carrying almost a ton more each trip.

The regular loader driver was out yesterday at the quarry and they had Juan (no really, his name is Juan) who is in my best estimation NOT a natural born loader driver...running the wheel loader.

Well ole Juan proceeded to put an entire bucket in my trailer...

I looked at my wife and I said “That dude just put a LOT of stone in this trailer. We get to the scales and 10,300lbs! I looked at the guy running the scales and he said “that’s a ‘little’ more than you usually haul...

I took the chance and sure enough the Big Tex (gotta love those Texans) dumped without issue. Over 5 tons of stone really doesn’t go very far spread on the ground LOL.

My dump trailer paperwork says (suggests?) it will dump 6800lbs. I have been creeping up past that, it has monster axles and tires but the issue is “will it dump” what I put on it.

I had gotten up to about 8500 and was about at its (and my) limit with that. It towed well and dumped easily at that weight and I was carrying almost a ton more each trip.

The regular loader driver was out yesterday at the quarry and they had Juan (no really, his name is Juan) who is in my best estimation NOT a natural born loader driver...running the wheel loader.

Well ole Juan proceeded to put an entire bucket in my trailer...

I looked at my wife and I said “That dude just put a LOT of stone in this trailer. We get to the scales and 10,300lbs! I looked at the guy running the scales and he said “that’s a ‘little’ more than you usually haul...

I took the chance and sure enough the Big Tex (gotta love those Texans) dumped without issue. Over 5 tons of stone really doesn’t go very far spread on the ground LOL.

Every time you double the weight you’ve got to double the brakes. I didn’t look at your rig but if you’ve got a medium size truck you likely doubled the weight at 10.3. Also as you double the speed you require four times the braking power so theoretically you’ll require twice the braking force to stop in an emergency at 60 mph, which would be 1/16th the force required to stop your empty rig at 30 mph. So for fun get your rig to 30 mph and see how fast you can stop then multiply that distance by eight...ohh and brakes loose efficiency as they get hot so it’s likely going to be more than eight times the distance.

Just because the over built (which is a good thing) trailer will haul the load doesn’t mean it’s a good idea or that the brakes are capable of stopping it.

Last edited:
Spent many Friday and Saturday nights turn to mornings out drag racing.
From 1966 until I joined the Navy. Had some really nice and fast cars in that era.
Took my DL test in a 59 Vette ,My first car was a 57 Chevy 2 door post with a 427 out of a wrecked 68 Vette. We seldom got in trouble , or had any crashes. Couple of tickets here and there. Small town America in those days had benefits.

Edit for pictures : The picture of the 59 Vette I took my DL test in. My Uncle in the checkered shirt owned it. He was a Navy Corpsman then called Pharmacist Mates attached to the Marines from 1942-1944. We would drive to the closest Drag Strip 100 miles away from home. Change the rear tires to cheater slicks , uncap the headers , and run consistent 12.50 ET for the 1/4 mile.
GF's father in high school had one similar to that one but all OEM, was his daily driver. He let me drive it on dates on occasion but would not let his daughter drive it at all. LOL. One bad ass car for sure.

Reactions: Sandhog308
I saw my first bear in the “wild” on Signal Mountain when I was 8. Not from the lodge. Near the road on the way down.
I thought it was the coolest thing I would ever do or see at the time.

Reactions: Rthur