• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Funny conversation at the gun shop today

Re: Funny conversation at the gun shop today

I won't turn my nose up to someone that has never heard of what we would consider superior equipment in our sport. LR tactical shooting I think is a cool niche' with some very specialized equipment. Just because someone doesn't know what a Premier scope is wouldn't make me chuckle at them. I'm sure if I took my Subaru to a custom tuner shop and they saw how many parts I got from Autozone, they would have a laugh at my expense as I'm not a "carguy" I just drive the damn things.

I do however find it funny when people start talking about which they are just simply unimformed or ignorant to. I was told once that I needed to sell all my gear and get a 700pss and a Mark4 because that's the only good equipment suited for LE work. And I chuckle immensely every time I hear a salesman/ prospective buyer talking about the Taurus Judge being a "manstopper"

A few of the guys I work with hunt a little bit and will talk guns with me. My gear is very modest in my opinion, but they are shocked when I talk about the cost of certain things. They're used to bone stock guns and what ever the guy at Dunam's talked them into for a scope. I get a lot of "why did you need a different stock on an $800 gun?" and "you spent how much on a scope?!". I try to explain that my goal is different with this gun than my main deer hunting rig (12 ga. H&R Ultra Slugger), but they don't get it. I usually have to resort to calculating how much they spend a year on cigarettes, the $2000 price tag puts my hobby into perspective.

I guess my point is, even the noobies here (me) are doing a different type of shooting than the vast majority of gun guys.

If you think it is hard to justify a $3,000 scope to "Dandy Deer hunter" just try justifying it to your wife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wchartz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think it is hard to justify a $3,000 scope to "Dandy Deer hunter" just try justifying it to your wife. </div></div>
sometimes what she doesn't know won't hurt you!!!!!! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wchartz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think it is hard to justify a $3,000 scope to "Dandy Deer hunter" just try justifying it to your wife. </div></div>

You actually tried?! You're a brave man.

I dont even bother anymore, If I neeed something I order it or have my gunsmith get it for me. Local gun store's drive me friggin nuts! They never have what I need and god help you if you ask them to order something. Had one asshat ask me what I was gonna do with a 250rnd box of 300gr .338 bullets.
Well Sir I'm gonna load them then I'm a gonna shoot them.
Figured I was pissin away time there and got them from my gunsmith instead. And NEVER ask for a set of 34mm rings!!
They have to shut the store down and contact the ATF to see what they are used for !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's been a long time since I have done anything but smile and nod while at a gunshop. </div></div>

Haha, that's exactly what I do! I try not to stay long either.

what is the big advantage of a custom action besides resale value over a remington 700 trued by a good gun builder?

It's funny to read these threads since we've all listened in to similar conversations at the gun hangouts. Occasionally we'll be around some other shooters and I'll get asked if I shoot and what kind we do. It's bad enough when I mention we shoot steel plates at long distances, then they ask how far. Well, 1000 yards. Then the tales start about how far they have hit a beer can or some other object at 2467 yards with a bit of holdover with their 243 or '06 with a Leupold 3-9. Then usually they get around to asking what we shoot.

It's funny the looks we get, usually a lot of smirks and glances over at their buddies and quite a few eye rolls when we say a pistol. If you want to lose any credibility amongst a group of "shooters" tell them you hit little steel plates our to 1000 yards with a pistol and you'll have them talking about you like we talk about the "gun shop pros" on here.

Amazing what being uninformed about things can affect others opinions. Most of us on here have been lucky enough to be around some good mentors and know what is possible and what is "tall tales". I've now learned you can't change someones opinion concerning guns and shooting if they aren't out walking the walk amongst really good shooters.

I can't wait to be out and get the chance to mention what we do just so more will think I'm a total newbie and should be working behind the counter at a snack bar and shouldn't even be allowed to talk to the real pros trying to sell me a real gun to compete with. I'm sure we've been the topic of many jokes but Oh well........ I can live with that
smile.gif

Really enjoying this thread so far, hope they keep coming.

Topstrap

My addition to the thread:

"Have you ever tried a Ruger? They have the best triggers. They are sooooooo smooth!"

I just smile and nod. I like being entertained.

Keep your stories coming guys! I need the entertainment! haha
I really feel for the knowledgeable guys who work behind the counters. Imagine the stupid things we've heard in the 15 minutes or so we spend perusing...they have to deal with that ALL day, every day. I'm pretty sure I'd slap someone. It seems like everytime I'm in a shop I hear someone looking at 1911s say "I want one cause even if I miss and hit them in the shoulder or something they will still go down."

Or...
- I need a holster.
ok, for what gun?
A .40
...ok...what model?
It's a .40 smith and wesson.
So an M&P?
What's that?
The model...
oh, I don't know, it's a glock something.

- Hey, would you guys be interested in buying my Sig?
Depends, what model?
This one. (places an M&P on the counter)
Oh, That's a S&W...
No, it says right there ".357 Sig"

The one that really made me chuckle is...
-Is this a .45?
We do have the same model in 45, yes.
Good, I like the stopping power of it. (first sign of idiocy)
Oh, are you a cop?
No.
Do you carry concealed?
No.
So what do you plan on using it for?
Oh, you know, just going to the range, shooting whatever.
So you won't be shooting people?
Ah hell no man, I'm not a psycho if that's what you're worried about!
Then why not get the same model in 9mm? The ammunition is cheaper. Or even look at some .22's, cheaper still.
Nah man, I like the stopping power of the .45! ... ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carterjoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the local shop the other day a guy asked to see a High Point 9mm. Said he wanted to start hunting deer and that 9mm was "ballistically the best cartridge for deer" That's a no shitter. </div></div>

That's not funny, it's actually scary. That guys gonna hurt himself or someone else with his lack of intelligence.

I don't have a gun store story, but I do have one about a friend of mine. A wife was asking what sort of pistol she should get for home defense while her husband was deployed. I started to answer as I have taken 5 or 6 six classes (I'm not Annie Oakly, but I do like to shoot and learn), when my buddy over rides me saying "Well for one thing you sure son't want to get a 9mm, you need a .45"-His reasoning for this was as follows:
-I have some friends that work in the emergency room in LA and when a guy comes in who is shot with a 9mm they pretty much just put a band aid on him and treat him like an outpatient. Guys that get hit with a .45 get put in a room and they just wait for them to die.
-You can stop a 9mm with a sheet at 10 yards
-(My favorite) Even if you hit a guy in the arm with a .45 the hydro static shock sends a wave through the blood stream and will stop his heart..

And to think I spent thousands of dollars in training and ammo thinking shot placement was important when all I needed was a .45....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kabulpostie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[...] when all I needed was a .45.... </div></div>

And a Nightforce- So you can shoot at a million yards, of course!
smile.gif

NO NO the way I heard it them Niteforces is what them Blackops SEAL Delta guys use to kill them CIA dudes at 1.5 miles while they are selling secret shit to albainans in Irak

This was at the range in the gun shop

Douche bag- "dude what are you shooting?"
Me- "A Sig P239 in .357Sig"
Douche bag- "oh... (looks at my magazine on the bench) you should sell that and get a Glock G17 like I have. Look how much more ammo it holds."
At this point i look at his target- at 5 yards- with no pattern or grouping what so ever- looked like it was shot with a 12 gauge.
Me- "That's ok- I can hit my target"
He looks at my 15 yard target (almost) all in the black on an NRA B-5 target (roughly 4 inch black circle).
Douche bag- "ya but Glocks are the best hand gun out there- that's why the cops use them"
Me- "You're right- low budget local municipalities know more than the secret service- federal air marshals, Texas state troopers, and several other federal organizations. You've bested me. Now go away."

I did try once! While I was deployed. It still amuses me when I bring up the subject. I did find out that women have a Verry long memory when it comes to things that make them mad.

I went to Gander Mtn. this past weekend to get some ice fishing goodies with a friend. So I stop over by the firearms section and do some browsing. A guy was looking at two guns,a Mossberg MMR Tactical and Ruger Mini 14 for plinking, and whacking the occassional varmints. Guy looking at the guns asks the Gander employee how to use the MMR. Gander employee didn't know how to open the bolt. I watch for a bit. Gander employee figures out the charging handle. Then can't figure out how to hold the bolt open. So I gave the employee a hand. As the guy is looking at both the guns, I look at a Springfield XDM .40 the employee pulls out for me to look at. Said employee ask if I have an AR. I say yes, an AR-10. Which he replies "Shoulda went with the AR15, a little bigger and a bit more powerful." I replied "Oh, wish I'd of known before I bought it." Makes a guy wonder.

I hear this a lot. "Nightforce, are those night vision scopes?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So a buddy and I went up to the local gun shop so he could shoot his AR today. While my buddy on the range I stayed in the shop just shooting the shit. And on the way out the door one of the guys behind the counter made the statement to me that "I sort of a purist, if it doesn't say Remington 700, Leupold, or Colt I don't want it". In turn a chuckle and express my dismay with Remington and Leupold. So the guy behind the counter asked what my asked me what scope I use and I tell him Premier. In reply I get this dumbfounded look and the response that he has never heard of them. Thus I tell him a little history about Premier and where they come from. In reply I get "Well I like things that a proven and test". So at this point they man has proven his ignorance/stupidity. Then the question comes to me about why I don't like Remington. Thus my answer is that I don't like the machine work and will take a custom action every time over a factory Remington. And the reply I get is that Remington actions are the exact same actions as customs and that custom action offer no benefits over a factory Remington. At this point the conversation is over and I'm just trying to get out the door before I start and argument that will get me banned for life. But I found the conversation rather laughable and figured some ya'll might also. </div></div>

For every custom and top tier guy there are ten guys shooting OEM and Leupold.

The Premier is probably a lot better, but the Leupold works. Nothing broken that needs fixing there.

I was at a Cabelas today where a guy couldn't tell the customer if an Ar was gas piston or direct impingement, but you know the guy behind the counter might be minimum wage, so what can you really expect from minimum wage?

I've overheard a couple Billy Bubba Joes, telling me how their straight from the factory Remington was the wonder weapon to kill off everything from dinosaurs to homosexuals, to hitting deer at 800 with no adjustment to their rifle or scope.

I stayed in a gunstore one time just to hear a kid, who had to have been in high school, start talking a lot of nonsense to impress the girls that he had to pull in the gunstore with him. The proud MTV reality whore, and wearer of the often repeated fashion collection of everything at the bargin bin at Hot Topic(Converse shoes, black skin tight jeans, trucker hat, and multicolored belt), proceeds to finger fuck every pistol he can get his little dick molesters on, all the while making references to videogames, or movies, or some other shit. And yes he did tilt the guns sideways. Suburban gangster style... Those church bake sales will never be the same.

On the opposite side of the counter, I've been made fun of for looking to buy a short barreled Rossi .357 pistol(cut down lever action type). My reasoning for looking at it was to have a truck gun just in case of everything(bad neighborhood I live in, hunting, etc.). The little turd makes a Zombieland reference behind my back, and I drop the gun right there and tell the little shit to put it back. The only reason I go there at all is the selection, and the owner. He's a nice guy, helps out people, and is a good man to do business with. Some of the people he hires are straight up fucking clowns though.

I had another beef with a salesman claiming he was the manager and trying to screw up a deal I had with another Hide member. After I heard about what he did I went straight to the gunstore and looked for the manager there, told him what was said, how the guy cost him some money, and then I left and never returned. I think I remember the guy too. Straight up shit bag who got his clothes from the Will Hayden collection of T-shirts available at the local dumpster. Stains are apparently free.

I can sometimes understand them not talking about what is better than their current selection. It IS a business overall, and they need to sell their stocked items, but a gunstore shouldn't hire a straight up fucktard who can't even give out simple information about caliber size or gun models.

I've got about the best "local" reloading gunshop here in the twin cities about 30 mi. from me in The Gunstop. One guy has the reloading side another guy has the firearms side. Both are pretty good when it comes to most facets of shooting.

About seven miles from me I have one of the best ever AR gunshops around. If I need something today, and it's for an AR, they've probably got it. J&S Guns. They've got some reloading stuff but not a whole lot. All the other basics you get in a gun shop. They also tend to deal in higher end .45's. Gotta like that.

You can't get by in either one of those two stores with BS. They know what they're talking about in there and so do most of the customers.

On the flip side we've got two Ganders and two Cabela's within reasonable driving distance from me. Gander has decided from a corporate point of view that reloading is a fad of the past and they are getting rid of it. Cabela's is cutting down on reloading supplies. They want to keep minimum on hand. It's coming down to if you want something special you'll have to order it with them. My thoughts are, why don't I just order it.

Gander used to have a ton of really nice old used guns as well as a large quantity of new guns. As does Cabela's. However, some corporate genius in the Gander system has decided that "there ain't no money in used guns". I'm stumped as to how they came up with that. Used guns IS where the money is in firearms. But, they are trying to make them go away. Cabela's of course takes that as they can up the price on anything. I was looking at a run of the mill k-31 at the Rogers store the other day. They wanted $549 for it. When did they get that pricey? Nice Rem 700's for $7 bills and not so nice @ $4 bills. All Win 70's $5 bills and up depending on pre/post64/post94
But then, they had a bunch of the newer Savages with the features I liked for $650 and a H&S stocked .338 for $1400.

Go figure.
whistle.gif
confused.gif
whistle.gif
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old95b10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And NEVER ask for a set of 34mm rings!!
They have to shut the store down and contact the ATF to see what they are used for !!!</div></div>

Ha! I totally had this experience at a shop in Northern Colorado. I asked the guy for 34mm rings just becuase I happened to be in the shop. He told me that he would NEVER be able to sell a set of 34mm rings. I smiled and left.

Two months later, I'm in the shop and the same guy behind the counter tells me that they now stock S&B's and he shows me the only one he has in stock - a 5-25 mildot with MOA turrets. Nice decision! Good luck selling that one buddy! Perhaps he never will sell those rings
smile.gif

Last week was the best though. I walk in and ask the guy about the new Steiner scopes, because we aren't far from the Burris factory (also owned by Beretta) and I believe that the Steiners are distributed through the Burris factory in Greeley. Anyway, the guy tells me that Steiner wont have the scopes ready for at least another year because they haven't done any testing on them and they're just a prototype at this point. I then reach down into my bag and pull out my Steiner 4-16. . . he was a bit speechless, but doubled down saying that Steiner hasn't actually tested any of their scopes and that he sure hopes I have good luck with my "untested" scope.

I hope it doesn't explode . . .

I owned a retail gun store some years ago and got out of the business. During my ownership I saw the end of youngsters interest in shooting and the dramatic decline in the sale of rimfire ammo and firearms. When I started you couldn't give away a Colt AR 15. There were so many changes in the business then I won't go into them here, but few of them were good. Trying to operate a gun store as a pro-shop operation for educated enthusiasts is impossible. Hunting opportunities continue to decline. The NRA and NSSF have done a poor job promoting competitive shooting for newcomers and concentrated on the politics of gun rights. We would all do well to try to be ambassadors for our hobby, sport and passion. We will have a lot better chance with the uneducated public and their opinions about gun ownership if we do so.

I wanted to buy a Benelli M4 and was told the Mossberg 950 was far superior?? I said yeah maybe in helping your wallet but not in any other way.

I went in to buy some sub sonic .45 ACP ammo and was told I wanted a bullet with the fastest fps because the faster the bullet leaves the silencer the less noise there will be coming out...Are you kidding me? Oh yeah, BTW this guy had a 30 clip in his Glock and was knocking all kinds of shit over in the store. I think he even managed to run it up some ladies ass crack when he walked by her.

Its just as funny to stand back in the shop or at the range and listed to the guy (or gal) with the $7K set up repeat all the tripe he's read on the net about why what he owns is the only way to go and all the operaters use it. Everything else is not worth owning and if you do, you must be a beginer or just plain stupid. Then, when he finally stops looking down his nose and looks through the scope, his performance is nothing impressive. What a let down that always is. I'd a whole lot rather know how to and be able to use whatever I've got, than to always have to have the best wether I know how to use it or not. I didn't realize we were so far ahead of the curve here in OK and AR
wink.gif
. A suppressor or 34mm rings wont hardly even get a second glance around here and we regularly shoot sub moa grps at 400 yrds with MK4 and Nightforce clad Remmys and Savages. Lots of customs around to do better but a mark like that is commonly met even with factory offerings.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old95b10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont even bother anymore, If I neeed something I order it or have my gunsmith get it for me. Local gun store's drive me friggin nuts! They never have what I need and god help you if you ask them to order something. Had one asshat ask me what I was gonna do with a 250rnd box of 300gr .338 bullets.
Well Sir I'm gonna load them then I'm a gonna shoot them.
Figured I was pissin away time there and got them from my gunsmith instead. And NEVER ask for a set of 34mm rings!!
They have to shut the store down and contact the ATF to see what they are used for !!! </div></div>

What would be the big deal with the 34mm rings? The only thing I can think of is some yahoo thinking it's for a M203. (which wouldn't even work)

Guess I've been lucky enough to only deal with shops that are run by knowledgeable people. What does get old REALLY fast is when I go to inquire/talk shop/buy a gun and the customers bug the hell out of me about what I'm holding.

Most people levitate towards classic stocked bolt actions and shotguns, glocks and stuff they've seen in movies/video games. Heaven forbid I ask to see a tricked out Saiga 12, precision rifle or ANY handgun that isn't a Glock and I get bombarded with stupid questions.

Me: I'd like to see that 10/22. This is nice what is this a Volquartsen or Boyd's stock?

Salesman: Boyd's with upgraded barrel and stock trigger.

Annoying Guy: Hey that's nice what is it?

Me: 10/22.

Guy: $450 for a 22?! Why not a bigger gun for the same money?

Me: Cheaper to shoot 22s. More trigger time makes me a better shooter.

Guy: Yeah but you don't get the recoil therefore you don't learn anything shooting 22s.

Me: How often do you go to the range?

Guy: All the time. Atleast once a month.

Me: "Rolls eyes and continues talking to salesman"

I get that conversation almost everytime I look at a 22.

Most recent conversation happened a week ago. I went in to replace my stolen 870 Tactical Express. They had the same shotgun I had before (this was the same store I bought it from the day I turned 18) and was debating between it and a Norinco Trench gun replica both in 12 gauge. Two guys with gold teeth and their girlfriends are checking out sporterized SKS rifles and century arms AKs and see me fondling the shotguns. Mr goldtooth gangsta begins to comment: "Man that thing is sexy! Ah man can you handle that thing? I bet that thing is like BADABOOM when it goes off mayn!"

We make eye contact, the store goes quiet and I continue on with what I doing. Customers like that make me dread going into shops anymore just to "talk shop."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its just as funny to stand back in the shop or at the range and listed to the guy (or gal) with the $7K set up repeat all the tripe he's read on the net about why what he owns is the only way to go and all the operaters use it. Everything else is not worth owning and if you do, you must be a beginer or just plain stupid. Then, when he finally stops looking down his nose and looks through the scope, his performance is nothing impressive. What a let down that always is. I'd a whole lot rather know how to and be able to use whatever I've got, than to always have to have the best wether I know how to use it or not. I didn't realize we were so far ahead of the curve here in OK and AR
wink.gif
. A suppressor or 34mm rings wont hardly even get a second glance around here and we regularly shoot sub moa grps at 400 yrds with MK4 and Nightforce clad Remmys and Savages. Lots of customs around to do better but a mark like that is commonly met even with factory offerings.

okie</div></div>

I don't own $7K set-ups, but every chance I get I like to get newcomers to get behind my rifle and shoot it ($1k-$2K). When they start seeing good groups it gives them a spark to think they can too. I do my best not to put people down. Even if they don't know what "one 'o them cheap-azz, newfangled wannabe scopes" (my USO ST-10 got called that a couple times
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
) can really do.

I know the gun-store talk can get pretty big. Focus on getting better yourself no matter how good you are. If someone challenges you to something, take the challenge. If you beat the guy then stick him behind your rifle. You may just have a convert.
wink.gif

Added:

A really good example of this is "ladies night" at our gun club every summer. A bunch of us get out there with our favorite training rifle and give any women who want to come out to the range the chance to shoot. We have AR's bolt guns big and little, Black-powder cartridge and muzzle loaders, cowboy action and pistols, pistols pistols (handguns for you purists) 5-300 yds. depending on weapon and which range. Two weeks later, at family day on the range, we have some very curious husbands/boyfriends as to how their wife shot a sub-moa or even .3-something" group.

When you get tired of the gunshop BS, go straight to the boat ramp on July 4th. You'll be able to tell which ones you might see on the news on Monday !

Not sure if I've told this story but whatever it turned out funny in the end.

When I was 20 I went into walmart to buy some 40 S&W ammo for my Kel-Tec Sub2000. Some places sold me the ammo since I had proof it was for a rifle and not for a pistol. On this particular day Walmart said no. I was cool about it and let it go because I understand their point of view. so I proceed to ask for some 308, shotgun and 22LR ammo. The man tells me he will not sell me ANYTHING because I'm not 21 (he proceeds to point authoritatively to the age restriction sign above the register).

I say "Sir the sign CLEARLY says if I'm 18 or older I can buy shotgun and rifle ammo. And I'm fairly sure walmart policy is to sell rimfire ammo to those 18 and older if it's for a rifle." He then tells me because the comma separates the sentence that the statement doesn't count for those under the age of 21 at all. At this point I'm thinking "WTF!" but keep my cool. "May I speak to your manager?"

The manager for the shift and his assistant come over. He looks like a total prick. I explain the situation and he says he agrees with the clerk and tells me to go away. At this point my girlfriend tugs at my sleeve and tells me to let it go. I tell the manager to ring up the ammo and let the Walmart computer system sort this mess out.

Side note: For those that have never noticed when you buy certain items in walmart it will ask what age is the buyer and will be specific about whether the buyer is over 17,18 or 21 depending on the age restriction. In some cases, like 22LR ammo, the employee can choose which age requirement is needed. If I say "22LR for a rifle please" then the system will say "Is the customer over 18?". It will do the same thing if I say for a pistol but it will ask if I'm over 21.

Anyway at this point the manager is threatening to call security on me if I don't leave at once. I have yet to raise my voice or curse at this man. The worst I said was "I'm getting a little pissed off here because you are treating a customer with so much disrespect." At this point my girlfriend freaks out and walks away to hide or something. I see security walking over and ask him one more time to ring up something to check. He says "Which one?" I say shotgun. He says "No I'll ring up the 22LR since you said it first." Now he is looking for the 22 ammo and I have to show him where it is because he clearly has no knowledge about firearms at all.

He scans the 22 ammo. He clears the scan. He tries again to scan it and again cancels it. I know what he's doing and call him out on it. "Having a little trouble figuring out how to choose the option to make it ask if I'm 21?" He doesn't respond and keeps at it for about a minute. He FINALLY gets it to say what he wants it to say and SMACKS the price readout screen so it whirls around dramatically towards me, points a boney finger to the screen and says "GET OUT!" Security grabs my arm, I yank it away and tell him "Don't touch me, I can find my way out. Thank you."

On my way out I find another manager and find out some info about this guy. I get his name, the name of the GM of Walmarts in the area and the name of the sporting goods manager. I call the GM and he apologizes for his action and says he will deal with it but in the mean time to meet up with the sporting goods manager at X-date and time.

So on X-date I go back with my dad who is a lot bigger and more intimidating than me. He, like me, hates to be disrespected. As soon as we walk up to the register the same clerk who wouldn't sell me ammo the first time sees me and tells me to go away and he isn't selling me anything. My dad flips out and starts yelling "Bring me a manager right now!" At this point a small crowd of 4-6 people gather to see whats going on. The sporting goods manager shows up and within 2 minutes has the issue resolved. He clarifies the walmart ammo policy, says I was right, scolds the clerk and informs me the night shift manager that did me wrong has been fired (apparently we are not the first people he has been rude to). I buy my ammo, smirk at the dipshit clerk and thank the sporing goods manager.

We all know Walmart hires a lot of morons who know nothing about the area they work in but we still shop there. For me they sell the cheapest ammo around by a wide margin. This was a good lesson for my now ex-girlfriend and I hope to pass it along to anyone who cares. If you are right and you can prove it then don't take shit from some prick who is comfortable in his position of power!

Luckily for me my friendly neighborhood Class 3 go-bang dealer has a smaller shop and sells only quality equipment.. Most of the regular hang around guys are all either ex-operator types or legitimate shooters who respect the equipment and what skill it takes to make the bullets hit where you want. I tend to shoot the shit with the guys on the occasional Saturday before we head to the range and just listen to the homies and wannabe tommy tacticals come in in their $35 voodo tactical plate carriers to buy ammo for their highpoints and tell us how its the most reliable gun ever and want to know how much that awesome Taurus Judge is so they can kill anything that moves.... its always Saturdays.... hmm even had a Tommy T telling me all about how he was just waiting on the paperwork from the sheriff to get his LMT SBR with Silencer that was on the wall and how it was such a big deal to get his paperwork signed by the Mayor... blah blah blah... just minutes before the Owner hands me the same SBR to take home (It was mine... I just dropped it off that morning for a trigger change out....LOL) Awesome Timing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Radioactive Yeti</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Luckily for me my friendly neighborhood Class 3 go-bang dealer has a smaller shop and sells only quality equipment.. Most of the regular hang around guys are all either ex-operator types or legitimate shooters who respect the equipment and what skill it takes to make the bullets hit where you want. I tend to shoot the shit with the guys on the occasional Saturday before we head to the range and just listen to the homies and wannabe tommy tacticals come in in their $35 voodo tactical plate carriers to buy ammo for their highpoints and tell us how its the most reliable gun ever and want to know how much that awesome Taurus Judge is so they can kill anything that moves.... its always Saturdays.... hmm even had a Tommy T telling me all about how he was just waiting on the paperwork from the sheriff to get his LMT SBR with Silencer that was on the wall and how it was such a big deal to get his paperwork signed by the Mayor... blah blah blah... just minutes before the Owner hands me the same SBR to take home (It was mine... I just dropped it off that morning for a trigger change out....LOL) Awesome Timing. </div></div>

Maybe he "ordered the one on the wall" and the owner was buying another to supply his. That would make it a miss-understanding, more than him just being a jackass.

Going along with BLAKSUNZ's post about walmart- 2 or 3 days before my 21st birthday- I walked in and said "I need a box of Rem UMC .38spl for my Marlin 1894C. Rings it up- "you're not old enough- come back in 3 days". I responded telling him I am using it in my 1894c, a lever action rifle. The largely overweight clerk than tells me "Son, I've been shooting guns since before you were born. I'm not stupid. NO rifle is chambered in a .38spl"

(for the record- it was actually for my dads stub nose 5 shot, but he didn't know that)

I went into my local "gun shop" today. I buy my primers and powder in there just to try and support a local shop. It's a lil high, but it let's me maintain a relationship with them even though I never buy firearms from them.

I notice a customer looking at a Ruger .22 pistol and asking about a suppressor. It was a older man, but clearly he didn't know alot about firearms. The guy behind the counter just barely knows more than the customer. The customer asks who makes the suppressor he's holding. The sales guy says "uhhh, well let me see, ummm, it says it's made by YHM." The customer says are they good? The sales guy says "they are the number one sound suppressor sold in the entire world." The customer ask what YHM stands for and where they are located. The sale guy says "uhhh, Uhhhh," I spoke up and said "it's made by Yankee Hill Machine". The sales guy says "oh yeah, that's it!". He proceeds to tell the guy that the your average gunsmith isn't qualified to "fit a suppresor on a firearm". He says that only the manufacturer is qualified to do this type of technical work.

The customer asks about the life of the suppressor and the quality of the components. The sales guy tells him the suppressor will last forever and only needs to be cleaned when it starts to get "loud" again. He tells the guy that the way to clean it is to take it off and slam it several times on a hard flat surface like a table or concert to "break the stuff loose" inside it.

At this point I couldnt take anymore. I had to walk away. I get to the register to pay for my primers and there is a guy there buying 3 boxes of EBR 5.56 ammo for $72 a box!!! I was once again speechless.

Just a typical visit to the gunshop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLAKSUNZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if I've told this story but whatever it turned out funny in the end.

When I was 20 I went into walmart to buy some 40 S&W ammo for my Kel-Tec Sub2000. Some places sold me the ammo since I had proof it was for a rifle and not for a pistol. On this particular day Walmart said no. I was cool about it and let it go because I understand their point of view. so I proceed to ask for some 308, shotgun and 22LR ammo. The man tells me he will not sell me ANYTHING because I'm not 21 (he proceeds to point authoritatively to the age restriction sign above the register).

I say "Sir the sign CLEARLY says if I'm 18 or older I can buy shotgun and rifle ammo. And I'm fairly sure walmart policy is to sell rimfire ammo to those 18 and older if it's for a rifle." He then tells me because the comma separates the sentence that the statement doesn't count for those under the age of 21 at all. At this point I'm thinking "WTF!" but keep my cool. "May I speak to your manager?"

The manager for the shift and his assistant come over. He looks like a total prick. I explain the situation and he says he agrees with the clerk and tells me to go away. At this point my girlfriend tugs at my sleeve and tells me to let it go. I tell the manager to ring up the ammo and let the Walmart computer system sort this mess out.

Side note: For those that have never noticed when you buy certain items in walmart it will ask what age is the buyer and will be specific about whether the buyer is over 17,18 or 21 depending on the age restriction. In some cases, like 22LR ammo, the employee can choose which age requirement is needed. If I say "22LR for a rifle please" then the system will say "Is the customer over 18?". It will do the same thing if I say for a pistol but it will ask if I'm over 21.

Anyway at this point the manager is threatening to call security on me if I don't leave at once. I have yet to raise my voice or curse at this man. The worst I said was "I'm getting a little pissed off here because you are treating a customer with so much disrespect." At this point my girlfriend freaks out and walks away to hide or something. I see security walking over and ask him one more time to ring up something to check. He says "Which one?" I say shotgun. He says "No I'll ring up the 22LR since you said it first." Now he is looking for the 22 ammo and I have to show him where it is because he clearly has no knowledge about firearms at all.

He scans the 22 ammo. He clears the scan. He tries again to scan it and again cancels it. I know what he's doing and call him out on it. "Having a little trouble figuring out how to choose the option to make it ask if I'm 21?" He doesn't respond and keeps at it for about a minute. He FINALLY gets it to say what he wants it to say and SMACKS the price readout screen so it whirls around dramatically towards me, points a boney finger to the screen and says "GET OUT!" Security grabs my arm, I yank it away and tell him "Don't touch me, I can find my way out. Thank you."

On my way out I find another manager and find out some info about this guy. I get his name, the name of the GM of Walmarts in the area and the name of the sporting goods manager. I call the GM and he apologizes for his action and says he will deal with it but in the mean time to meet up with the sporting goods manager at X-date and time.

So on X-date I go back with my dad who is a lot bigger and more intimidating than me. He, like me, hates to be disrespected. As soon as we walk up to the register the same clerk who wouldn't sell me ammo the first time sees me and tells me to go away and he isn't selling me anything. My dad flips out and starts yelling "Bring me a manager right now!" At this point a small crowd of 4-6 people gather to see whats going on. The sporting goods manager shows up and within 2 minutes has the issue resolved. He clarifies the walmart ammo policy, says I was right, scolds the clerk and informs me the night shift manager that did me wrong has been fired (apparently we are not the first people he has been rude to). I buy my ammo, smirk at the dipshit clerk and thank the sporing goods manager.

We all know Walmart hires a lot of morons who know nothing about the area they work in but we still shop there. For me they sell the cheapest ammo around by a wide margin. This was a good lesson for my now ex-girlfriend and I hope to pass it along to anyone who cares. If you are right and you can prove it then don't take shit from some prick who is comfortable in his position of power!</div></div>

I know hunter's hollow is overpriced, and i've never been to Mississippi auto arms inc. But i probably wouldn't go back there. That kind of crap would drive me nuts.

Sadly i don't have any interesting range stories. I guess thats the perk of farming. I've had one friend tell me he could shoot to a mile with his ruger Mini 14 he got from a sniper...

When I was 12 yrs old my mom took me to the gun store to buy some .22 pellets. On the counter facing us was a 12 gauge shotgun with two guys looking at it. My mom asks in her inquiring voice what kind of pellet gun that was. I immediately looked up at the two guys who stopped talking and looked at me then my mom and I told my mom to please go wait in the car.

On the bright side she now has her own carry permit and carrys a S&W .357 and can shoot,load ,clean and take apart and put back together every weapon she handles...which is limited. She can actually out shoot me with a pistol, which isn't saying a lot. She also makes a mean meatloaf.

She's come a long ways since i was 12 yrs old.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RotARy15</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wchartz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think it is hard to justify a $3,000 scope to "Dandy Deer hunter" just try justifying it to your wife. </div></div>

You actually tried?! You're a brave man.</div></div>

That is why I made sure that my wife likes to shoot. Problem is that I have to support two obsessions now...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnnycat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking at a Kimber CDP II - the guy suggested that you only use FMJ with it because at the range you would shoot such a short barrel, a hollow point wouldn't have time to open up. </div></div>

Kinda like arming a torpedo i guess

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: henke4310</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the big advantage of a custom action besides resale value over a remington 700 trued by a good gun builder?</div></div>

Everything, dimentionally, is straight to begin with and when you are done with your build you have a Surgeon, Nesika, Stiller or whatever. When you are done with the Remington, no matter how good it shoots, it is still a Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hopkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned a retail gun store some years ago and got out of the business. During my ownership I saw the end of youngsters interest in shooting and the dramatic decline in the sale of rimfire ammo and firearms. [...]</div></div>

Rain on the parade.. This supposed to be a funny thread. Your post is just sad!

I had a funny run in with a "gunsmith" the other day.

I need a piece of tooling for a friend to cut a barrel, and so I called this gunsmith and asked if I could rent his tooling for 1/3rd the cost and have it back in 2 days (we were in a hurry and didn't want to wait on PTG). He agrees. I go to his house and we start talking.

He asks what I shoot. I say let me show you. I go get my DTA, open the case, pull it out, open the bolt to ensure it is unloaded and go to hand it to him. He looks disgusted and says "I don't do those black guns, I'm a bolt guy".

I respond: "Me too this is a bolt gun"

He ignores me and spots my other barrel: "Whats that for?"

Me: "It's a switch barrel, would you like to see it changed out?"

Him: "Sure" and then watches as I pull the bolt out "hey, thats a bolt gun!" I just look at him and nod. "What calibers are your barrels?"

Me: "338 Lapua Magnum, 308, and 6.5 Creedmoor"

Him: "Well that Creedmoor was a real nothing, you should have gone with a 260"

Me: "Well I do like 260, but why do you say that the CM is a nothing?"

Him: "Well if it was a good cartridge Lapua would make brass for it like the 260."

Me: "So you are basing the goodness of a cartridge on whither or not Lapua makes brass for it? You realize that the Creedmoor is only 3 years old? Also that Lapua started making brass for the 260 last year even though it has been commercialized for 14 years? So in all those years and the 30ish before that was the 260 a nothing?"

Blank stare.

Another time he told my brother in law that his Vortex was junk, and he should get a real scope like a Leupold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a funny run in with a "gunsmith" the other day.

I need a piece of tooling for a friend to cut a barrel, and so I called this gunsmith and asked if I could rent his tooling for 1/3rd the cost and have it back in 2 days (we were in a hurry and didn't want to wait on PTG). He agrees. I go to his house and we start talking.

He asks what I shoot. I say let me show you. I go get my DTA, open the case, pull it out, open the bolt to ensure it is unloaded and go to hand it to him. He looks disgusted and says "I don't do those black guns, I'm a bolt guy".

I respond: "Me too this is a bolt gun"

He ignores me and spots my other barrel: "Whats that for?"

Me: "It's a switch barrel, would you like to see it changed out?"

Him: "Sure" and then watches as I pull the bolt out "hey, thats a bolt gun!" I just look at him and nod. "What calibers are your barrels?"

Me: "338 Lapua Magnum, 308, and 6.5 Creedmoor"

Him: "Well that Creedmoor was a real nothing, you should have gone with a 260"

Me: "Well I do like 260, but why do you say that the CM is a nothing?"

Him: "Well if it was a good cartridge Lapua would make brass for it like the 260."

Me: "So you are basing the goodness of a cartridge on whither or not Lapua makes brass for it? You realize that the Creedmoor is only 3 years old? Also that Lapua started making brass for the 260 last year even though it has been commercialized for 14 years? So in all those years and the 30ish before that was the 260 a nothing?"

Blank stare.

Another time he told my brother in law that his Vortex was junk, and he should get a real scope like a Leupold. </div></div>

You were much more polite than I would've been. Sounds like the guy is a complete ass-hat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Radioactive Yeti</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Luckily for me my friendly neighborhood Class 3 go-bang dealer has a smaller shop and sells only quality equipment.. Most of the regular hang around guys are all either ex-operator types or legitimate shooters who respect the equipment and what skill it takes to make the bullets hit where you want. I tend to shoot the shit with the guys on the occasional Saturday before we head to the range and just listen to the homies and wannabe tommy tacticals come in in their $35 voodo tactical plate carriers to buy ammo for their highpoints and tell us how its the most reliable gun ever and want to know how much that awesome Taurus Judge is so they can kill anything that moves.... its always Saturdays.... hmm even had a Tommy T telling me all about how he was just waiting on the paperwork from the sheriff to get his LMT SBR with Silencer that was on the wall and how it was such a big deal to get his paperwork signed by the Mayor... blah blah blah... just minutes before the Owner hands me the same SBR to take home (It was mine... I just dropped it off that morning for a trigger change out....LOL) Awesome Timing. </div></div>

Maybe he "ordered the one on the wall" and the owner was buying another to supply his. That would make it a miss-understanding, more than him just being a jackass. </div></div>

Nope... I thought about that possibility and later the store and I had a good chuckle about it cause he had never even seen the guy in the shop before. I think I can call this one "jackass confirmed" I love to talk guns and class 3 with anybody and I don't talk down to noobies cause we were all a noob at one time..., I just can't stand the ones who know it all but they have never even shot most of the guns they are telling me thier " expert" opinion on...

Went to the best local gun shop here while back to see if he had a 20moa base.He asked what that was and I told him.He said if my scope wasn't perfectly level with the barrel I could not hit anything.He asked what scope I useing.NightForce I told him.He had never heard of that brand and said it must be poorly made and tried to sell me a Scorpian optics scope.Been a while since I had been in there,now I remember why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You were much more polite than I would've been. Sounds like the guy is a complete ass-hat.</div></div>

Eh, you nailed it, ass-hat is a great description. However, the guy was doing me a favor.

The next time we talked was a little different, as he attempted to berate the "kids" that were cutting the barrel.

Him: "The way these kids are setting the lathe up is all wrong."

Me: "I think there are 100 ways to skin a cat, they just do it different."

Him: "Well there is only one way to skin this cat, my way."

Me: Coolness all gone "These "kids" have made exactly seven 6.5 Creedmoor barrels that have all shot verified sub .4 MOA with factory ammo. I have all the targets in proof if you would like to see. Also, in my experience, the smart people who are good at what they do never stop learning, and will always take the time to learn another way even if they still use their original way. Only the stupid claim there is one way to do something."

By the way, those "kids" are JFComfort, and D.Miller from here on the hide. They are legit. They both have day jobs, but word of mouth is spreading. I believe they are currently working on going pro. If you care to see some of the groups that their work has produced look at some of my posts in the DTA thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but you know the guy behind the counter might be minimum wage, so what can you really expect from minimum wage? </div></div>

I expect them to let me finish my order at the window before blurting out: "Is that everything?", "What kind of drink do you want?", "small, medium, or large?". I mean crap, how hard is it to wait for..."Yes i'd like a medium number 7 with a coke please"? Yet, i swear, everytime they interupt me.

p.s. If i can't find it myself in a gun store i order it online. I don't even talk to the guys behind the counter anymore, most of them are either antagonistic or egocentric, 'your stuff is expensive crap, you should have bought the cheap crap we sell, it's better', just like most other salesman.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrhog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wchartz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think it is hard to justify a $3,000 scope to "Dandy Deer hunter" just try justifying it to your wife. </div></div>
sometimes what she doesn't know won't hurt you!!!!!! LOL </div></div>

Big 10-4 !!!! Best investment I ever made was my safe....

"wife" when did you get that?

"me". Aw this old thing I've had it for awhile.