• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Furthest .308 win Kills

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents,

I would be very interested in the following information:

Your Furthest .308 win kills. Information on the load, rifle and conditions would be useful.

I trying to determine to what distance a .308 Win can be relied upon to consistently and ethically kill deer size game.

I know the largest portion of the answer will lie in the abilities of the trigger puller so I'm trying to get some feedback on what others have achieved.

Cheers,
Rath

Re: Furthest .308 win Kills

Hunting roe deer @ 198 meters, spalling rain, 3-5 m/s vinds, shot was hillside to hillside

Shooting roe deer target 5/5 from CBS @ 600 meters, sun, heavy mirage, 1-4 m/s shifting winds l to R and reverse.

Sako varmint 308 Win, 18' barrel, Ziess 6-24x56 Divaria, Leica rangemaster 900.

I would not shot at a roe at longer ranges than 300 meters, besides I would not find a place on my grounds were that would be possible.

/Chris

6 pigs at 75 yards with a single round.

Filled a 2 liter coke bottle up with tannerite. Set it down and dumped corn over it, then shot it when the pigs were feeding.

Funniest thing I have ever seen in my life was pigs going airborne.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 pigs at 75 yards with a single round.

Filled a 2 liter coke bottle up with tannerite. Set it down and dumped corn over it, then shot it when the pigs were feeding.

Funniest thing I have ever seen in my life was pigs going airborne. </div></div>

I just spit coffee all over my desk and keyboard from that... LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Filled a 2 liter coke bottle up with tannerite. </div></div>

F...ing crazy C-Sucker!

Remind me to NEVER F with you!

Baahaahaa!

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 pigs at 75 yards with a single round.

Funniest thing I have ever seen in my life was pigs going airborne. </div></div>

I would have paid good money to see that....

Killed a 15lb pig at 470 yds (bored). A whitetail in the neck at 275 yds (culling). I shot them with my scenar load. I don't hunt with scenars. I don't typically kill game very far unless you are just culling. Even then it is very hard to judge a animal past 300 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 pigs at 75 yards with a single round.

I would have paid good money to see that....</div></div>

and +1

Only in LA or hell maybe here in TX too but yep I would have paid to be there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOmag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOmag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 pigs at 75 yards with a single round.

Only in LA or hell maybe here in TX too but yep I would have paid to be there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOmag </div></div>

I call BS jus for the helluva it an request a video recreation..can donate the 2liter bottle if needed. Same amount of pigs not need but damn we need a visual on this one...

Holy Pigenstock, purely wicked evil you are!!

Well........ anyone in Texas is willing to take me on a hunt with them???? I'll be more than happy to do it again.

PM me and we can set something up.

Wes

I'm thinking if you go to the trouble to set this up ....

why no vid

Funniest thing I have ever seen in my life was pigs going airborne.</div></div>

I would love to see that.

can you do it again with a video camera playing?

Or maybe I could do something similiar in the home depot parking lot, 6 illegal aliens with one shot would be nice to see....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vprtoad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 pigs at 75 yards with a single round.

I'm thinking if you go to the trouble to set this up ....

why no vid </div></div>

Because I hunt to collect food. I had it in my mind that I was going and get as much meat as I could in the shortest amount of time. The last thing on my mind when I hunt is making vids and taking pictures. I knew that when I fired the first round they would scatter, so I decided to try something different and I am lucky I didn't hurt myself in the process. I did feel the shockwave pretty herd from it though. I don't go out with a ton of ammo, cameras, and other tacticool shit like some do. All I bring with me is a rifle with 5 rounds of ammo, side arm, and water. Depending on what i am going hunt will dictate if I bring anything else.

I killed a 90-ish lb whitetail doe at 619 yds (lazered) with a factory loaded 175gr SMK from Blackhills , bullet hit on side scapula and exited behind off side scapula with a quarter size hole , both lung ruined. The deer ran maybe 40yds before she piled up.
The damage was alot less than I had expected especialy after hitting a bone on the way in , had it passed through lugs she would have died but I hate to think how far she would have gone.

A 168gr berger with the meplat trimmed back a little does a great job , I hit a coyote at a tic over 500yds (yardage markers) and it left a baseball size exit between the last rib and rear leg , impact was about mid way back though the ribs.

I hit a feral dog gone rouge a few weeks back with a sub sonic 220g SMK at 147yds (lazered) through a custom suppressor, the bullet had its meplat trimmed and the HP drilled out a bit deeper with a slightly larger bit , the bullet broke both shoulder and dog collapsed at the impact , exit was about the sice of a silver dollar. These bullet fal like a rock past 100yds but are very accurate to 300yds you just have to know the exact range.

i shot a doe last year at 553yds (lazered)..i was using my gap built m700...i hit her on the second shot with black hills 175smk...the wind got me on the first shot and the bullet passed right in fron of her front shoulder....the second was dead nutz

Flourescent Orange spraypaint can at 565 yards, 15-20 knot winds from 3:00 o'clock. Rem 700 SPS. 20" barrel. 178 gr AMAX, 43.1 gr RL-15.

First shot once range went hot!

A Lucky shot...

about a 100lb feral hog at 375 yards, with blackhills 175 smk out of a 700p, hit it just behind the shoulder, didn't take another step.

100lb piggy from 50 yards.
150lb piggy from 150 yards.

308win loaded with 165gn Sierra Game Kings. 46gn of Varget.

Both went down with 0 issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 pigs at 75 yards with a single round.

Or maybe I could do something similiar in the home depot parking lot, 6 illegal aliens with one shot would be nice to see.... </div></div>

rofl +100 on this

My daughter and I shot 78 whitetails last year (MLD ranches in Texas & culling) with a variety of rifles/pistols and calibers/loads at short (17 yards) to long (up to 1,052 yds) ranges.

Using our Rem 5R in .308 topped with a Nightforce 5.5-22 x56 and using factory ammo (165 gr Rem Premier Accutip) the longest ranged shot was just a tad over 500 yards. The round entered at the shoulder and induced rapid oxygen depletion syndrome (RODS!) by taking out both lungs. Deer ran 20-30 yards and flopped.

My longest shot last season was on a whitetail doe at 1,052 yards (ranged & witnessed) using a Rem 7Mag built by Hill Country rifles shooting 168 Berger VLDs.

Over the course of the year we were fortunate to harvest whitetail and numerous exotics (Blackbuck, Axis, Mouflon, Fallow, Sika, Oryx, Red Sheep, Corsican), hogs and various varmints (fox, coyote, coons, etc) with the following calibers: .223, .243, 6.5 Grendel, .270win, .270WSM, .308, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 RUM, .338 Lapua, .45Long Colt, .45 ACP, .357 & 9mm and .40SW.

I am currently working up the AI AWSM in .338 Lapua and have taken rams out to 728 yards (ranged).

As you might imagine, we were able to learn tons about ballistic performance using different calibers and loads at varying ranges.

Silverfin, there is a lot of real word feedback you must have gained. Can you elaborate on the .223 and .357mag performance?

Thanks,
Rath

Crow at 365 paces. 175gr SMK spit outa this DPMS LR308.

DSCN2791.jpg

hangunnr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Junglejim23</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 pigs at 75 yards with a single round.

Or maybe I could do something similiar in the home depot parking lot, 6 illegal aliens with one shot would be nice to see.... </div></div>

rofl +100 on this </div></div>

That is so funny in so many different ways!

976 yard kill of a whitetail doe on a very very calm November evening while hunting with my Dad in the fall of 2004. That was the shot that sent me over the top on the long range hunting game. My wallet and my wife both wish that I had missed the shot because it sure has gotten expensive since then.
sick.gif
....But I love it!!!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might be a little slow here but what the hell is "tannerite" </div></div>

what is tannerite

OH MY GOD! HOW HAVE I LIVED WITHOUT TANNERITE? I will love to see some one shoot that crap with hogs around. Thats like making your home made Claymore! BRAVO my Friend! Bravo!

Would this count as a mover??
grin.gif
My son, my brother and myself made a trip to our range on our hunting lease some weeks back. We have targets set up every hundered yards to 1000 yds. Around mid day after shooting all morning this guy ends up on top of the 500 yard target stand....then proceeds to walk back and forth. He gave me enough time to re-setup my GAP....do the dope and send one to him. He was walking from left to right at impact. There were other crows in the field not far from him and we all intended to see a dead crow. However to our surprise it was a smaller black bird. BTW that GAP shoots bug holes. GR.
IMG

Just out of curiosity how far where you from tannerite when it detonated? And did it actually kill the hogs instantly or what?

many p-dogs from 200 to 800. Actually, the farthest was a touch under 900 but it took me about few shots. Tried 1000+ a couple times but I usually only put about 25 rnds through several rifles (4 or 5) each trip and the super long stuff cuts the kill ratio way down.

Remington vs, jewell trigger, Leupold 6.5-20, shooting 155 A-max pushed by a hatful of varget.

shot a 174" whitetail 3 years ago (325yds) w/ the 155's and performed very nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotexhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 pigs at 75 yards with a single round.

and +1 </div></div>

another +1 only in Louisiana

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Silverfin, there is a lot of real word feedback you must have gained. Can you elaborate on the .223 and .357mag performance?

Thanks,
Rath

</div></div>

You didn't ask me, but I have a fair amount of experience with .223 and deer. IMO, the best round for deer is a 60 grain VMAX. Put one in the lungs and/or heart, and they go down right there or close by. I have shot alot of deer with Black Hills .223 60 grain VMAX. I recently started using 75 grain Match HP from Black Hills. Not impressed with the performance of the 75 grainers at all.

Back on topic: I used a Remington 700 .308 LTR (20" barrel). Farthest kill on deer was 660 yards. One shot dead right there. Using 168 grain AMAXs. Great bullet. Shot placement is key, you put a bullet like the AMAX in the lungs and the deer is done. One nice thing about long shots is the deer have no idea you are there and they seem to die quicker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents,

I would be very interested in the following information:

Your Furthest .308 win kills. Information on the load, rifle and conditions would be useful.

I trying to determine to what distance a .308 Win can be relied upon to consistently and ethically kill deer size game.

I know the largest portion of the answer will lie in the abilities of the trigger puller so I'm trying to get some feedback on what others have achieved.

Cheers,
Rath </div></div>
clay pigeon at 1000 yards 43.0 rl 15 175 smk's

He's not kidding on the Tannerite.... That stuff is awesome. It takes a high velocity round to cause the reaction. 9mm wont do it. It's safe and won't burn. You have to hit it wih a round going about 2,200 fps or greater if my memory holds true. We blew an old clothes washer apart @ 100 yards. We used a 2 liter bottle of tannerite. The top blew about 150' straight up the sides blasted about 100 feet in either direction....There was very little left in the same location that the dryer was sitting..... I can only imagine what "swine-flew" looks like.. I would laugh my butt off if someone captured it on video..SmokeRolls

I killed a cow elk @520 meters last fall with my GAP surgeon .308,26" bartlein barrel, jewel trigger,McMillian A5 stock, and a 5x25 PMII S&B. Using a 165 Nosler Accubond, 46 grs varget, OAL 2.816, and Lapua brass. Wind was not a factor in the shot as I don't like to take long range shots on big animals if their is to much wind. I hit her behind the front shoulder, the bullet went through the other shoulder and stopped just under the hide. The elk dropped in her tracks. That evening my friend took a cow @522 meters with my rifle and the result was the same. If your going to take animals at long range, you better know how to read the wind.

While in Scout/Sniper school @ Pendleton in 1984 we were shooting unkown distance, all the students were taking turns shooting and spotting. The instructors we sitting on a picnic table just hanging.It was my turn to spot and my partner was shooting. I spotted a nice little blactail buck about 50 meters outside the left lateral limit barrel on the hill in the impact area. Being new to the art of sniping but both of us being deer hunters since childhood, we decided to try the shot since the instructors were preoccupied! I estimated the range @ about 1200 yards and we let one fly. The round hit about 6 ft low,added some elevation and hit right under his belly! Made him jump and run alittle ways. Next shot we got him in the guts and he was up there staggering around and we were scared the instructors would see him and kick us out of school.. they never did! When we got off that night we reconned out in the impact area and retrieved our prize. We took him back to the school built a fire and had a mountain beef cookout! The Major in charge of the schools came out of his office and asked us where we got the deer? We said "roadkill SIR"! Anyway I guess the range ended up to be about 1400 yrds give or take. That was with the M-40A1 and 173grain lake city match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReflectionsBurn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotexhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 pigs at 75 yards with a single round.

and +1 </div></div>

another +1 only in Louisiana </div></div>

I am from Lousiana, but it actually happened in Texas.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's not kidding on the Tannerite.... That stuff is awesome. It takes a high velocity round to cause the reaction. 9mm wont do it. It's safe and won't burn. You have to hit it wih a round going about 2,200 fps or greater if my memory holds true. We blew an old clothes washer apart @ 100 yards. We used a 2 liter bottle of tannerite. The top blew about 150' straight up the sides blasted about 100 feet in either direction....There was very little left in the same location that the dryer was sitting..... I can only imagine what "swine-flew" looks like.. I would laugh my butt off if someone captured it on video..SmokeRolls </div></div>

I only used it on the pigs once. But a 20 ounce coke bottle full of tannerite works well on beaver damns too.

Fill up the bottle with tannerite and tie a peice of foam to it so it floats. Thorw it in the water and let it drift next to the damn. Then take your shot and watch SHTF in beaver city. And I use it for other things also.

517 yds
wind 1/2 value L-R. 15 mph
39*F

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badd Kharma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 76 story blind </div></div>

Typo?

1911fan