• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FX120i setup suggestions

Entropicitis

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • May 8, 2020
    Oklahoma
    I bit the bullet and purchased a V3 autotrickler setup. I've seen some folks using surface plates, anti static mats, line conditioners, etc. Is there an consensus on the best way to run one of these scales? I'm coming from a Chargemaster setup.

My autotrickler is plugged into a UPS battery backup that conditions the power supply.

Not sure if it's really necessary or not.

Reactions: Entropicitis
    Mine is sensitive to air flow, but it only moves in minuscule .02 hundredths of a grain amounts, and that’s ONLY when the central air is on and I can feel the air flow on the back of my neck or I sneeze right by it, lol. If I’m weighing charges, I usually turn the Central Air or vent off. I do use a surge protector on it tho bc I don’t wanna lose something that nice. I use a Lyman Gen6 to auto throw charges 0.1 tenth under, manually transfer to the charge to the FX120, then manually trickle up. The Lyman is usually within a tenth for me, but sometimes it’s way worse for no obvious reason, but still gets me close enough to trickle up to my desired weight. The FX has been stellar. I check it against cal weights every time I use it, & the only time it’s been off is when I moved it, & forgot to center the level bubble back to dead center. When I re-leveled it, the value was back dead on.

I bit the bullet and purchased a V3 autotrickler setup. I've seen some folks using surface plates, anti static mats, line conditioners, etc. Is there an consensus on the best way to run one of these scales? I'm coming from a Chargemaster setup.
    Its a nice to have. I wouldn't actually buy a "surface plate" for your scale, unless its at a garage sale.

that being said, It is nice to have it on something dead flat. And heavy. And that isn't electro-magnetically active. etc.

My $.02:
    • Any air flow, as from an HVA vent, will show up as .02-.04 "drift."
    • If a few powder kernels bounce under the top tray, you'll get "Error 02" or somesuch. Power it off, lift off the tray, remove the offending powder kernels... all will (hopefully) be well.
    • I have mine plugged into a cheap power strip for convenience as much as anything. If thunderstorms are forecast, I turn off the power strip switch. If thunderstorm arrives, I unplug the scale.
    I haven't had to recalibrate except when I actually moved the scale and the bench on which it sits to another room. It is interesting that I usually have to make slight adjustments to center the scale's leveling bubble after resizing brass (which seems to move the fairly small bench slightly on the hardwood floor).

All in all, the FX-120i has been an amazing scale - it did give me a few moments of "o s***" the first time I saw the "Err 02" that wouldn't clear with a power reset.