• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision G11 and a Torch or G24

Btrain

Shooter up!
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2013
KS
Really going back and forth on which mount to buy. Settled in on a TW Exfill and not sure on how best to spend the money I have left now. Could spend around 500 and get a Wilcox G11 & something like a TNVC Torch pro, or get a Wilcox G24 and wait awhile on the illuminator (logical?). If you think I will likely be overall unhappy with the G11 in the long run I will wait - no question. Just no real experience to pull from. Been watching for awhile and other than Rhino's dont really see many used mounts to be had. Originally thought I would find a little higher end mount that was used in GC at a discount. Truth is that after reading, reading and reading I seem to know just enough to be dangerous - I do appreciate the input. (PVS14 - Will be general use for some night hiking primarily)

-B

..." (PVS14 - Will be general use for some night hiking primarily) ".
-
Primarily Just foot travel for some extra IR I like the Surefire M1 and I keep on lanyard hanging around neck . Nice for extended viewing and very light weight & small for hand held .

( But ) you also should have already a inboard IR Illum. on the PVS14 for foot travel . & it is good and will not over illuminate and IR bloom all and everything out in front of you if there is any foliage around in front of you .

Here are some suggestions to help you in your decision making. Ask your self these questions,

1. Do you feel that the standard big Army mount / Standard J-arm is lacking and if so how? Are you worried about jiggle in this set up?

2. Do you feel as if you are ever going to go beyond just the single PVS-14?

Think about those two questions and let us know and we can make suggestions from there.

1. Do you feel that the standard big Army mount / Standard J-arm is lacking and if so how? Are you worried about jiggle in this set up?
I dont have any real experience with the Army mount. I read where others have complained of jiggle and a "not so solid" of a setup with the Rhino type mounts. Since its only for basic personal use I know I dont need a heavy-use duty setup, but dont want to junk either. Just trying to find where that value/cost line is. I know its different for everyone, trying to find it for me- make sense?

2. Do you feel as if you are ever going to go beyond just the single PVS-14?
Definatley have no intent on going past 1 pvs-14. I plan on moving to a clip on thermal as my next purchase

Really going back and forth on which mount to buy. Settled in on a TW Exfill and not sure on how best to spend the money I have left now. Could spend around 500 and get a Wilcox G11 & something like a TNVC Torch pro, or get a Wilcox G24 and wait awhile on the illuminator (logical?). If you think I will likely be overall unhappy with the G11 in the long run I will wait - no question. Just no real experience to pull from. Been watching for awhile and other than Rhino's dont really see many used mounts to be had. Originally thought I would find a little higher end mount that was used in GC at a discount. Truth is that after reading, reading and reading I seem to know just enough to be dangerous - I do appreciate the input. (PVS14 - Will be general use for some night hiking primarily)

-B

The struggle is real!

If you don't plan on ever using anything but a single PVS-14 go with the G11 army.

I know you say you will only be using it with night hiking etc, but how often? I used the standard rhino mount for years and HATED it with a passion, however, I used it often enough to think about why it was lacking. It wobbles with movement pretty badly and I couldn't ever really get it aligned to my eye correctly without rubberbands around the housing and j arm. It may be something you grow annoyed with. Kind of like a squeeky sole on a shoe, type of annoying.

Last edited:
Here is a table comparing the features of the various common mounts. Selecting one is highly individualized, and only you can determine what is best for you.

While the Torch Pro is a most excellent extended range IR illuminator, it seems as though a Surefire M1-IR would be better suited to your expressed task of hiking at night. You will eventually own both anyway.