• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GA Precision PPR vs Accuracy International AT-X

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
GA Precision PPR
$2500

Accuracy International AT-X
$5000

Which would you choose and why? Want to hear all opinions. Please don't disparage other people's opinions.

I guess neither.

Either one would be amazing to own and shoot.

I prefer a chassis to the Manners but $5,000 for the AT-x seems steep when a half moa rifle can be built for half that.

Depends on where you are at. Do you have a quality tripod, Terrapin, Leica, or SIG rangefinding bino, Fix it sticks, Kestrel 5700 Elite, quality bipod, Night force or ZCO scope? .223 trainer? 650XL? Auto Trickler, 10K Berger bullets stock piled?

Yes -> AT X

No -> PPR
That’s a great answer, all the shit you don’t think about is what gets you.

Depends on where you are at. Do you have a quality tripod, Terrapin, Leica, or SIG rangefinding bino, Fix it sticks, Kestrel 5700 Elite, quality bipod, Night force or ZCO scope? .223 trainer? 650XL? Auto Trickler, 10K Berger bullets stock piled?

Yes -> AT X

No -> PPR
This shit should be a sticky “Read this before asking which rifle”

Great advice, thank you.

Although AI & GAP are directing these rifles specifically toward PRS competition, would still like to hear people's thoughts and opinions.

Just because someone doesn't have all the support accessories listed doesn't make the question any less valid. Not everyone is interested in competing and training at the level where such high $ accessories are required. Many do not wish to roll their own. Depending on terrain, comp rules, budgets, needs, they may not apply.

Just want to hear people sharing thoughts and opinions on the two rifles on an open forum.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Just want to ensure others feel comfortable expressing theirs as well.

This post is up to encourage people to post their experience even if they are not up to "par" with their support equipment.

Last edited:
I have owned rifles from both as well.. Curious as to the "Defiantly go with AI" statement?

Prob. meant definitely, but I still do not follow that as well. the AT-X is not even on the market yet and we all know GAP makes one of the best custom rifles in the business. I dnt think you can go wrong with either. Both are completely different rifle styles though.

AI guys are gonna say AI, GAP guys are goanna say GAP. Both are bad ass and I promise you will smile with how both shoot.

Reactions: Ghostgunner
PPR is a fantastic gun for the money. I am not a fan of the stock however. I am a big AI fan so I personally would go in that direction of money is not a huge factor.

When I started buying custom rifles I looked at Gap, Surgeon and AI. I've owned all 3. AI is built like a tank. Accuracy wise the rifle hammers with all the barrels I have for it. Reloading for the rifle is easy. Barrel change/caliber change is easy. If I decided to sell it resale is excellent. The stock fits me better. The action is very smooth. The trigger is outstanding.

Um...why? Seems there should be some explanation here.

Sorry for the messed up post above.

This:
maxresdefault.jpg

Or this:

2d41d849-ferrari-f8-tributo-0.jpg

On paper the performance is close (if not the edge for the cheaper one), but in terms of driving it they are very different.

I feel like a GA rifle is an excellent value for a great rifle, but like a Corvette isn't a Ferrari, it isn't an AI...

Reactions: Lucky1
PPR is a fantastic gun for the money. I am not a fan of the stock however. I am a big AI fan so I personally would go in that direction of money is not a huge factor.

I have a PPR and a regular AT. I like the adjustability of the AT stock (I've added the adjustable butt pad) and would give it the slight edge, especially considering the AT-X will be even more adjustable overall. The folding stock of the AT is nice too, makes cleaning easier.

If I could add an adjustable butt pad to the PPR myself then it would probably be a toss up.

Yes -> AT X

No -> PPR

The price difference between the AI and GAP is only 5,000 of your Berger bullets. So I have a hard time understanding why that should be the part of the criteria. 5,000 should be more then enough to shoot the barrel out anyways.

I've owned GAP and AI. My Gap was accurate, but was a collection of parts. Mine was accurate, and when a problem came up they were quick to try and resolve it.

I like my AI's they are just as accurate and slightly different.

Do you want a chassis and 3 lug? Or stock and 2 lug?

I would suggest the AI.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
When I started buying custom rifles I looked at Gap, Surgeon and AI. I've owned all 3. AI is built like a tank. Accuracy wise the rifle hammers with all the barrels I have for it. Reloading for the rifle is easy. Barrel change/caliber change is easy. If I decided to sell it resale is excellent. The stock fits me better. The action is very smooth. The trigger is outstanding.
Very nice, thanks!

Better comparison would be the AI versus a gap team rifle. The PPR is a insane value but it was never meant to be compared to a 5k rifle. If the production division didn't exist there would be no PPR.

I’ll add to my post above as well

Between my AIAT and GA (similar model to the hospitaller from what I found on their site recently) My GA had the trued 700 action

- I prefer the two stage AI trigger to the tuned 700 trigger the GA had

- The AI is an easy change for barrel with the quickloc system. Less than 2 minutes to change barrels/calibers with repeatable zero

- I love the beefed up action and glued action/chassis bond on the AI. To me it adds the extra strength and assurance to the whole system. I prefer it to the rounded 700 design held in by 2 action bolts.

- The scope base on both are 20 MOA. The AI is pinned the GA was not. The AI action used bigger base screws as well. I believe 8-40 on the AI vs 6-48 on the GA

- The AT stock is folding and more adjustable. I run the thumb hole stock on mine and it’s more comfortable to me than the manners I had on the GA

- I believe the AX model AI allow the swapping of the forend for a longer length if desired. Not sure about at-x. I run the spigot mount on the front of my AT

- Between mine the AI is a tight, yet silky smooth operation when running the bolt. Literally feels like its ridding on a stick of butter. Both my AIAT and AXMC are the same

- The 60° bolt throw makes it faster and quicker to operate vs the 700

- I absolutely prefer the AI double stack mags to the single stack the GA used. Almost same length mag in the AT holds 10 rounds vs the 5 in the standard AI mag. The double stack adds to the smoothness when operating the bolt. You also are able to load the mags from the action port on the rifle vs needed to remove the mag from the gun

- Overall if you handle and shoot both to me the AI feels like an overbuilt tank of a weapon. Where the GA feels like a more tuned up version of what’s already out there

- I’ve had zero issues with the AI. Had some ejection issues with the GA (Sako extractor) action

I sold my GAP and bought the AIAT. I sold many other guns and purchased the AXMC which I’m currently setting up for 300 PRC

Last edited:
I don’t think this is really and apples to apples comparison.

The PPR aside from a barrel chambered by GAP and the additional QC checks the rifle goes through by GAP, is nothing but plug and play build, might like you could do picking/sourcing components and putting it together yourself. Albeit it is a hell of a steal at the price point and is more than capable in the right hands. At our local 1 day match we had a gentleman shooting a PPR in production class place 4th.

The AI is designed from the ground up as a complete system. The action feel, feeding, and ejection are second to none in my humble opinion.

From your posts, and your intended use, or lack their of, I would pick up the PPR in 6CM. Shoot factory ammo, until you have a very real and clear sense of exactly what you want in your rifle system. You are not in the hole too much, resale will be good, and you have money leftover.

Reactions: 4350muncher
I've owned both and I much prefer the AI, most of the reasons for this have already been covered by other members. My vote goes to the AI.

I purchased both my AI rifles used from members here. Which you can obviously save a decent amount of $$ on or end up with accessories in the deal.

I paid just over $3k for my AIAT with spigot mount/thumbrest and both original and thumbhole stocks

D6CE23AC-D704-4BE8-8ACF-A6D657EDE2C0.jpeg

Better comparison would be the AI versus a gap team rifle. The PPR is a insane value but it was never meant to be compared to a 5k rifle. If the production division didn't exist there would be no PPR.
This. The PPR is made to fit under the production class cost ceiling. Both are great rifles but it's a little apples and oranges. Both fruits but different.

What can you do with a gap team you can’t don’t with the PPR?

The production division was changed to allow gap to make it via buying bulk and utilizing slightly cheaper stock, action, and trigger, not the other way around.

This. The PPR is made to fit under the production class cost ceiling. Both are great rifles but it's a little apples and oranges. Both fruits but different.

Production class price was made to fit the PPR. Not the other way.

• Haha
Reactions: BisSilent
Is used an option?
If so you can get a used AT for under 4 I.
And a used AE MKII or MkIII for under 3

What can you do with a gap team you can’t don’t with the PPR?

The production division was changed to allow gap to make it via buying bulk and utilizing slightly cheaper stock, action, and trigger, not the other way around.
The difference is that the PPR is a cnc cut prefit barrel and the team rifle is hand fit and like you said it uses a cheaper stock, action, trigger. So I would still say the expected fit and finish of the team rifle exceeds the PPR.

The difference is that the PPR is a cnc cut prefit barrel and the team rifle is hand fit and like you said it uses a cheaper stock, action, trigger. So I would still say the expected fit and finish of the team rifle exceeds the PPR.

Fit and finish yes. But there’s no functional difference. For example, I would always recommend the PPR over the team rifle *unless* you want the luxury in more expensive yet similarly functional parts.

There’s plenty of functional difference with the AI (modular for weights, changeable grips, QD barrel, etc).

^^^This. If price were no object the AT-X just seems more versatile.

I don't see it that way. You can get lots of the AI functions with cheaper chassis setups, you buy an AI for the fact that it's supposed to be a step above the average shooter rifle and is priced accordingly. The PPR can't do anything a bergara can't do but they aren't in the same playing field either.

Define "playing field"...? Accuracy? Functionality? I've read good things about the premium Bergara's accuracy. I've also read a lot about most of accuracy being tied up in a quality barrel rather than a high-dollar action.

Define "playing field"...? Accuracy? Functionality? I've read good things about the premium Bergara's accuracy. I've also read a lot about most of accuracy being tied up in a quality barrel rather than a high-dollar action.
That's kind of what I'm saying. The bergara is a "budget" rifle that provides a ton of value and will outshoot 99% of the shooters in the world. The PPR is the same concept where it has ton of value in it's price range. The difference is the price range. A $1,100 bergara is not the same as a $2,500 PPR, and a PPR is not the same as a $5,000 AI. I was saying that if someone theoretically wanted to spend 5k on a rifle they should be comparing two rifles that are close in price.

What does the buyer get for the extra $1,400 for the PPR vs say a Bergara B-14 HMR or what not? I've always been interested in the GAP rifles and $2,500 definitely seems like a bargain vs. their other "line" rifles at nearly twice that.

I don’t think accuracy is going to be an issue with any of the mentioned rifles above. They all have the capability to be tack drivers

Since we’re discussing cheaper rifles with the same functions we could compare down and do a GA PPR vs Savage....

Shoot, this is probably beating a dead horse like mil v moa, but I like it. There's myriad tales of Savage, Bergara, Tikka, RPR, Remington, shooting half moa, and doing well in competitions. I hear a ruger guy won the PRS?...(sorry, I had to go there...)

As a poor and a newbie I am still just trying to learn what I get for the extra $$$ given that the big brands have upped their game and their quality processes and currently seem to be consistently building consistently accurate (precise?...) rifles.

I come from the motorcycle world where a certain bavarian motor company and their fan boiz would insist the significant price premium was for "quality" and "reliability", which was true through the 70s and 80s, but in the 2000's the japanese were every bit as good or better in every category so it ultimately seemed like an entry fee to the blue and white badge club---pinky finger out, etc... Call me cynical...

I have neither an AI or a GAP, so I cannot say much.

But how often does the OP (or anyone in this position) change gear? If you are the type of person that is always changing your stock/chassis or trigger, you might be better served by the aftermarket support the GAP can take advantage of. The AI is an AI and while you can change things, it doesn't have the depth of aftermarket that the Remington 700 has.

With that said, if the price difference isn't a concern, I would default to my preferred bolt lift.

I come from the motorcycle world where a certain bavarian motor company and their fan boiz would insist the significant price premium was for "quality" and "reliability", which was true through the 70s and 80s, but in the 2000's the japanese were every bit as good or better in every category so it ultimately seemed like an entry fee to the blue and white badge club---pinky finger out, etc... Call me cynical...
I've owned Honda and Ducati. I was convinced the Duck was the better bike before getting it. After owning it for a few months, I realized I was faster on the Honda CBR and could push further limits easier. There is a different and arguably better feel to the Italian bike but you have to decide whether you want the EXPERIENCE of the higher end or the PERFORMANCE difference.

The first is somewhat intangible and subjective. The second is measurable. Where is your balance?

(That said, I wish I had gotten a Ducati 916 just to fulfill that dream. Never did, don't ride anymore, will regret it forever... like an early Acura NSX... the time is past)

Given that we only have X number of years left in our lives to enjoy and live... the idea of getting both sounds better and better. $5k for a solid gun you can always resell decently isn't too bad compared to cars.

Reactions: Texascbr
Both if I could afford it. But leaning towards the GA PPR.

Does one of those two rifles really have better resale value than the other, or does one just start out at a higher price? I'm not sure about that???

I am always of the opinion it's better to build a rifle the way you want it vs buying one, but resale on any custom is not going to be as good as on an established well known manufacturer...

You can build one hell of a nice custom for 5k!

Resale on a % base is probably close. I'm sure the GA precision is money. I'm unsure how much custom work goes into it. Do they fit the barrel to each individual action? Or do they machine to a prefit dimension? If it's just a prefit then there might be tolerance stacking going on. The stock has a mini chassis, so there is no work on it.

So it may be just a bunch of off the shelf parts with a prefit barrel chambered by GAP. It would be nice to know. I almost bought one but was unsure. I tried emailing and never got a response.

I purchased both my AI rifles used from members here. Which you can obviously save a decent amount of $$ on or end up with accessories in the deal.

I paid just over $3k for my AIAT with spigot mount/thumbrest and both original and thumbhole stocks
Guess I should hit the PX more often...if I could dupe your setup for 3 large, I've got that ready to go right meow ;-).

I think about the PPR, just saved by the fact that I'm not a 6mm guy. I've gone down this road a couple times with rifles I couldn't leave well enough alone. If someone has the features you want, ready to roll, no muss, no fuss...do it and don't look back.

I will tread lightly on this - the AI you can change calibers yourself , rezero and go . No gunsmith, no wait, shoot it out put another one on . Its freedom of caliber , it costs more initially but your not held back and depending on a 2nd party gunsmith .
its all a trap ,its not cheap, it ADDS UP , it never ends , but being in control helps. Joe

I will tread lightly on this - the AI you can change calibers yourself , rezero and go . No gunsmith, no wait, shoot it out put another one on . Its freedom of caliber , it costs more initially but your not held back and depending on a 2nd party gunsmith .
its all a trap ,its not cheap, it ADDS UP , it never ends , but being in control helps. Joe
That's true, but there's also a few different quick switch devices out there. I don't know how they compare to AI in terms of repeatability and accuracy, but I assume it's pretty close.

Resale on a % base is probably close. I'm sure the GA precision is money. I'm unsure how much custom work goes into it. Do they fit the barrel to each individual action? Or do they machine to a prefit dimension? If it's just a prefit then there might be tolerance stacking going on. The stock has a mini chassis, so there is no work on it.

So it may be just a bunch of off the shelf parts with a prefit barrel chambered by GAP. It would be nice to know. I almost bought one but was unsure. I tried emailing and never got a response.

The PPR has a 3/8 minute guarantee so what difference does hand fitting make.

But some of you are right that we are comparing a traditional stock rifle to the more versatile AI chassis. I think this discussion would be better if we where maybe comparing the AI to some of the other Production Class $2500 rifles out there that are in Chassis.

American Rifle Company, Deep South Tactical, Masterpiece Arms.

May be a better comparison.

The PPR has a 3/8 minute guarantee so what difference does hand fitting make.

But some of you are right that we are comparing a traditional stock rifle to the more versatile AI chassis. I think this discussion would be better if we where maybe comparing the AI to some of the other Production Class $2500 rifles out there that are in Chassis.

American Rifle Company, Deep South Tactical, Masterpiece Arms.

May be a better comparison.

why tf are y’all still trying to compare a $5k AI to a PrOdUcTiOn ClAsS rifle?

Maybe the OP sucks so bad that he can only make noise in this production division, thus looking at a PPR vs an AT-X?

Who knows. This thread is retarded because of the big price difference as well as being a stock vs chassis...

Buy both. Don’t be a B*