• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gallery Loads

sherlok

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2004
East Texas
www.oldhomes4sale.com
I've been quite happy with squib loads for my indoor shooting range with .30-06 and .308 using very small charges (like about 2.0 grains) of Bulls Eye with 100 grain cast bullets.

But has anyone developed one for the .45 acp? Thought I would ask before re-inventing the wheel.

Noise is an issue as my neighbors would go nuts if they knew what really goes on behind closed doors at my house.

Thanks, Sherlok

Re: Gallery Loads

Ever looked into Glooblits? (Glue bullets)

My dad did them a few times with his 357 and just fired them with a SP mag primer, no powder.

There's a whole subforum dedicated to them on the cast bullet forum I think. I can't remember the name of that place but someone here probably does.

PM Mr. Humble, he's a fellow cast bullet shooter.

I found these to be a lot of fun. These are .38 special. The flash hole requires 1/8" drill bit to open it up to prevent the primer from backing out when firing. The rubber bullet is reusable and there are 50 in each package.

Sorry my bench is such a mess
grin.gif

PrimerfiredRubberBullets.jpg

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but has anybody ever tried gallery loads in a .243? I want to try a load from Hodgdon's Reloading Centre using 8 grains of Trail Boss with 100 grain bullets for a listed 1045 fps - but the site mysteriously lists the bullet at .224" instead of .243" so I thought I'd check with them before I loaded it. I'd like to be able to shoot alot more without disturbing the neighbours.

Another vote for X-ring bullets, won't cycle an auto, but are really pretty accurate.
Make a catch box out of old towels draped over dowel rods set in v-notches you have cut in the top of the box. It takes 3 towels to get reliable stops. Just fix your target on the front of the box.
You can clean up the bullets when they get a little dirty with Armour All.
If you enlarge the flash holes (reccomended), file a litte notch in the rim so they are identifiable from un-moded brass.
Reloading is a snap, knock out old primer and seat a new one, then press the bullet in with your fingers. No powder needed.

I'll look for X-rings. Didn't know they still made plastic bullets. Thanks for the responses.

Roughneck, the 8 grains of Trail Boss sounds reasonable for a .243, but my advice would be to use cast bullets in working up these loads. You would have a hard enough time driving a stuck lead bullet out with a rod. A stuck jacketed one will no doubt involve a smith.

Also make sure something comes out of the barrel each time before cramming in another round.

Regards, Sherlok

Watch your exposure to lead vapors using an indoor range. Make sure you have plenty of air circulation. It will buildup in you bloodstream.

Good luck

Jerry

Like mentioned, if you stick a jacketed bullet you got problems. I stuck a 77gr Sierra making subsonic loads with blue dot and it was a joy to get it. Luckily I had hoarded the last sample of a cleaner called Coppermelt. I ran some down and let it sit for a day with the barrel up and then a day with the barrel down and was able to get it out with a wooden dowel. Stuff was dang effective, final weight of the bullet was only 73grs and a little slurry of copper mush. To bad the manufacture was pig headed, he refused to sell it to a bigger company like hoppes and could never solve his distribution/packaging problems.

X-ring bullets are fun to shoot...but you get a whole lot of fouling from the primer compound...it may be corrosive and is quite dirty so you will have some cleaning to do when you are done...

I clocked the x-rings out of my 6" .44 mag and they were averaging around 400fps with WLP primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">be warry of the lead even though we all ate it as kids !!!!!! </div></div>

That was so 1957...The refined 1960's palatte preferred mercury as the heavy metal contaminant of choice
grin.gif

We used to play with mercury as a kid. Great fun. Rub it a dime (they were real silver then) using your bare fingers, made it very shiny.

No long term effects that I can ....

Uh, what were we talking about?

Because of the potential for primer-only fouling, I believe it is probably advisible to always use at least a minimal/token powder charge, as this seems to help consume/flush at least some of the primer fouling. Pistol/shotgun powders work well in these application because of their advanced burn rate. My powder of choice is always Unique, as it actually has some manufacturer support for microload applications.

Obviously powder charges and polymer/resin projectiles may not be so compatible. Perhaps some judicious research and experimentation might determine whether spherical lead shot might be an appropriate alternative.

My issue with all of this is the comparatively futile attrition of primer stocks when everything one might wish to accomplish is so readily achieved with the .22LR. That's one mighty capable wheel not to be trying to reinvent. I'm pretty sure it's best not to try.

Greg

Well I worked up (or actually down) to a load of 1.2 grains of Bullseye behind a 185 grain cast SWC. Enough power to get the bullet downrange and almost one hole accuracy on my 42 foot range. Of course it won't operate the slide. It seems a little less noisy than a .22 lr standard in my Ace. It's lower pitched as the .22 has a high crack to it which carries. It's certainly less noisy than the .22 high velocity that the Ace takes to function reliably.

To answer your comment, Greg, the Ace is used the majority of the time for indoor practice. But one needs to get a little trigger time on the big bores as trigger pulls, feel, etc. are not exactly alike. My inclined 3/8" T-1 steel backstop will easily handle a full power house load, but there is a noise issue in my residential neighborhood.

Also I've been through component shortages before. Sometimes during the Vietnam War, you couldn't get anything. Dealers I've talked to are already seeing demand slacken. Stuff will be back on the shelves as manufacturers catch up although at a higher price - now that we have established new price levels for them.

Take care, Sherlok

Yes, I agree completely, the .22LR cannot serve the entire purpose, but it can unload the primary of a lot of usage, which can be more economical; and it can remove the element of wear and tear from the primary to a significant degree.

Five perfectly executed shots from a 1911 can be completely rewarding, and a highly adequate confirmation of competence. Getting there can be at least half the fun, and that can be largely achieved using the smallbore.

I try to think in terms of efficiency and cost effectiveness. By the same token, nothing is learned from opening a box of smallbore ammo, handloading skills are important too.

Greg