• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gander Mountain is for the most part getting out

Hunt4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011
of reloading equipment and much of the accessories for 50% off or more.

Picked up an RCBS Partner Kit and separate Rock Chucker Press for peanuts. I think I have $100 total in both and MSRP would have been $300 or more for both.

If you have one near by, it may be owrth a look.

Re: Gander Mountain is for the most part getting out

Just called my local store and they don't have shit on sale. Just my luck.

Bowling Green, Kentucky, only had Powder and Bullets left.

The two in Indianoplis is where I found the kit and press.

The one in Duluth, MN has been getting out of it for the last couple years (when it's gone, it's gone). I bought two pounds of powder there this last spring. I didn't pay attention until after the fact that my receipt showed 64 dollars. WTF! for 2 pounds of powder, no wonder they don't sell enough to keep it in the inventory.

yea, Gander Mountain is not the cheapest that is for sure. A year a go I bought some Combined Technology 168's bullets and it was $31.00 and I go to Midway, $21...ouch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hunt4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bowling Green, Kentucky, only had Powder and Bullets left.

The two in Indianoplis is where I found the kit and press. </div></div>

Well hell. Apparently Bradis on Kentucky Ave will be the only place left in Indy to get supplies.

Gander never had any serious thought of being "in" for reloading. I recognised that when I found their rifle/pistol primers at $4.50 per hundred (no break for a brick either) while Sportman's Warehouse had the same things for $3.00 a hundred - that's a 50% premium for the 'honor' of getting shafted by GM! Let them go, I sure won't miss 'em.

Before their reorganization and sell off of their catalog operations to Cabelas they had good catalog pricing on stuff.
But, when you look at their operation not geared towards being a soruce of reloading supplies.

Like when the Maple Grove store opened in early 90's they could not stock primers and powder due to Maple Grove Fire Regualations. The Gander in St. Cloud had a great selection of stuff....then over course SW came to to town...and then out of busienss. Scheels tends to be hit and miss reloading stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hunt4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bowling Green, Kentucky, only had Powder and Bullets left.

The two in Indianoplis is where I found the kit and press. </div></div>

Well hell. Apparently Bradis on Kentucky Ave will be the only place left in Indy to get supplies. </div></div>

and they dont really have shit either

The one in Roanoke, VA just finished renovating it's "gun" area. Wasn't much wrong with it to begin with, but they've made everything gun and reloading easier to find and sort through.

New gun counters (pistols/knives/optics under glass) too, with a couple people working behind them, instead of long guns scattered out everywhere on racks with cables run through all the trigger guards. More like a "real" gun store now. All that, and the gunsmith there is a cool dude who knows his shit.

No indication they want out of the gun bidness...........

Tripper, the issue is reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tripper, the issue is reloading. </div></div>

Furrball, try reading what is written.

My assessment of my nearest GM is that there is no indication they want out of anything gun related.....reloading too, was covered.

Peoria Illinois store has it marked with little orange tags. RCBS dies are $30, No bargin there. 100count 30cal 190gr SMK's are $39.97! ON CLEARANCE? Powders are all $25. The only thing that looked even close was FGMM small rifle primers @ $2.97 per hundred. All other primers were $3.99.
Forget what brass prices were, but it was odd ball stuff, .338 win mag, 243WSSM, I think it was still $30-$40 for 50pcs.

The thing that always floors me is the huge stack of American Eagle 5.56 100rnd boxes for $49.97!

Once in a blue moon I'll find a "deal" or at least something reasonable. It's more like a showroom for mailorder, internet shopping, or for looking at something before you order it from someone that'll actually get you a decent price.

GM here in Cedar Rapids IA has gotten out of reloading supplies about 6-8 months ago. They had a gunsmith but they closed that also, I think there goal is to turn the store into a"outdoor" clothing store. All the other departments are getting smaller the only one that is growing is clothing.

This is true. Gander as a whole was trying to get out of reloading until the bid crisis erupted with all the shortages. They took advantage of it to make as much money as possible. They are a crappy company as a whole. They like to act like they know what is going on but they don't. I mean look at all the price increases they have had on guns in the past 4 years. It is just stupid. Reloading has always been a 40% margin line for them but they realize that they cannot compete with mail order reloading places. Look for them to get out of it in the next year or two as a whole company other than online sales.