• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP 3/8 MOA Guarantee fiction or reality?

Re: GAP 3/8 MOA Guarantee fiction or reality?

Having several GAP rifles all I can say is the spread is all with me... When everything is working right, 3/8 seems easy, those other days when it just is not hooking up, 3/8 is impossible... Try the dot drill, that seems to tell the real story!!

Eric reed built M40A1, M40A3, George built nontypical hunting rifle, AR10

Merlinn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You realize the group needs to be 5 shots to be valid, not 1.

</div></div>

I know that it needs to be 5 shots, but I was doing the barrel break in and I went a head and did a 3 shot group before I put the rifle away. The GAP guns will shoot 3/8 moa or better if you do your part, but as we all know sometimes it is us that can NOT shoot 3/8 moa.
frown.gif

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-size: 23pt">It's REALITY! </span></span>

does anyone have a 3/8 target showing that it will do it? does it come from GA with a proof target? I would think that if George guarantees it then it will do it. Would love to see what a 3/8 group looks like. I cant shoot that good to proove it.

There's 3 from my .243 and 3 from my .308 on the first page.

Now, those numbers are a lot truer and I think you're on the right track. I am curious though. Did you also move the chronograph placement farther from the muzzle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spts05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that 3/8 </div></div>

I didn't bust out the calipers, but can definately say it was a bug hole. If I had to guess C2C, it would right at .25 'ish. It's not uncommon for GAPS/Surgeons/Beanlands/Gradius's, etcc...to shoot better than expected.

By the print outs, it looks like you changed Chronographs too. Did you?

It appears, from reading his comments with the latest data, that he found a set up error in the Crony and corrected that.
The data he has now, BTW, matches very closely the data from Hodgden's website and seems to have much better consistency. I wouldn't think his unit is giving bad data.
I have verified several brands of chronographs against the Oehler 35P over the years. Surprisingly, most all of them gave very close numbers. IMHO, issues arise with some units because they don't match up well against things like sunlight and other atmospheric conditions or because of user set up errors.

The distance between sensors was shortened slightly because the Chrony wasn't fully opened. Also the light path a few inches above the sensors would be shortened even more due to the angle. This would be expected to give higher than actual MVs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spts05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does anyone have a 3/8 target showing that it will do it? does it come from GA with a proof target? I would think that if George guarantees it then it will do it. Would love to see what a 3/8 group looks like. I cant shoot that good to proove it. </div></div>

As already stated, there are many smiths here on the hide that can build a great shooting rifle.

Here is a product of one of them, 2 five shot groups shot back to back, a .2 and .3 (both had a single round out of the main group to keep them from a .1)

21.jpg

I don't understand. Roach used to give me a 1/10 MOA guarantee.
laugh.gif

This is nice:
155Scenars.jpg

But this is better:
AE700yards.jpg

Nice to see some real data not a cherry picked group. You are right, when things are flying right, you can shoot the wings off a fly, when things aren't, you wonder what you did wrong. But the best rifle, best handloads, and best shooter aren't sub 1/2 moa every shot, every day.

This is such a worn out observation. The guarantee is not affected by the shooter or ammo. The results are.

It would be a hell of a surprise (and not my 1st hand experience) if any average or better shooter didn't get better results with a better rifle. Maybe not 3/8" groups but improved ones. This has been true during the first 42 years I've carried a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bonehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">an MOA guarantee is only as good as the ammo and the shooter as well.

Hell, I know GAP rifles will shoot better than 3/8. No worries there, but can you is the question? </div></div>