• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Garand Handguard Removal

Re: Garand Handguard Removal

Either/both. It was not apparent when I was trying to figure out how to do it. I don't want to find out the hard way.

One of the two sites I "SEARCHED" for explained how to take them off, but did not recommend it for some reason. Hence my post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the two sites I "SEARCHED" for explained how to take them off, but did not recommend it for some reason. Hence my post. </div></div>

It is easy to break the rear hand guard when trying to remove it. It is not what I consider part of regular disassembly and maintenance of the M1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It is easy to break the rear hand guard when trying to remove it. It is not what I consider part of regular disassembly and maintenance of the M1. </div></div>

True true,,never do I take off the upper nor the rear hand guards ,unless replacing them.
Just the "main" stock assembly.

Anyway hope it works out for you.

My main reason for taking them off was to see if there were any additional stampings or identification marks on the barrel, under the handguards. Would there be any there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No... the important information is visible through the op rod slot. </div></div>

Not on M1 Garands,,M14s yes,,some M1 Garand barrel makers had the drawing number on the top

When working on a Garand to improve accuracy, check the rear handguard for fore-aft play. There needs to be a minimum of 1/32"-1/16" of play. If the play a significantly less than that, it can affect accuracy when the rifle heats up during firing. If it needs to be increased, remove the handguard and neatly trim the rear end of the guard to provide the needed clearance.

I cannot imagine any other reason to be removing that handguard.

Greg

At this point, I don't think I will remove it, as I don't want to risk damaging it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I cannot imagine any other reason to be removing that handguard.

Greg </div></div>

The most compelling reason on a CMP rifle is they have gone to a new water cleaning process that leaves moisture and gunk under the handguard and rear sight. The rifles need to be fully disassembled, cleaned, and a rust preventative applied.

Ah, see; I earn something new every day. Thank you muchly for the update.

Greg