• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin AB watch

Does direction of fire matter in the solution? I'd think at semi short distances it wouldn't, but might come into play at longer ranges. I ask because mine originally was set at 0, then started tinkering with shit, and it was dynamic, now stuck on that azimuth. The manual with the watch is pretty vanilla, so I'm hoping someone has some guidance on ideal setup.

Does direction of fire matter in the solution? I'd think at semi short distances it wouldn't, but might come into play at longer ranges. I ask because mine originally was set at 0, then started tinkering with shit, and it was dynamic, now stuck on that azimuth. The manual with the watch is pretty vanilla, so I'm hoping someone has some guidance on ideal setup.
Only if you have Coriolis turned on

Reactions: Darkhorse1
If you're in Quick Edit mode, hit Enter until DOF is highlighted. Point 12'oclock on the watch face at the target at hit the down button. That will use the direction you're pointing. If you use the up/down buttons to edit that value it will lock in at that value. Cycle through to DOF again and hit down to get back to dynamic.

Reactions: Darkhorse1
Hate to inquire again......But I'm pretty excited about the Garmin Communicator App. Any update by chance?

Just got my watch and in AB mode when I go to quick edit and toggle to dof it’s not letting me use the compass. If I push the up button or the down it just changes the heading. In my 701 I can point and hit the button and it sets the dof by the compass heading. What am I doing wrong?

Edit- Ok I shut the watch off and restarted and now it’s working. Not sure why but it’s all good now.

Last edited:
Just got my watch and in AB mode when I go to quick edit and toggle to dof it’s not letting me use the compass. If I push the up button or the down it just changes the heading. In my 701 I can point and hit the button and it sets the dof by the compass heading. What am I doing wrong?

Edit- Ok I shut the watch off and restarted and now it’s working. Not sure why but it’s all good now.
Also, make sure you update it.

Reactions: Devildog
@DocUSMCRetired Forgive me if this has been answered already. I couldn't find it.

When the rechargeable battery takes a dump _ years from now, is it user replaceable? If not user replaceable, what kind of cost could we expect to pay Garmin for replacing it?

@DocUSMCRetired Forgive me if this has been answered already. I couldn't find it.

When the rechargeable battery takes a dump _ years from now, is it user replaceable? If not user replaceable, what kind of cost could we expect to pay Garmin for replacing it?
Just an FYI I used the Garmin Fenix series and forerunners before that tracking trail running, through scouting. Run the GPS in the watches until they've run flat in both hot and the winters in Wyoming, often recharging them with portable power. Antidotal as it might be I have never had a battery take a shit on me. Granted I've sold them off and upgraded them over time, but they are about the best smartwatch out. The New Garmin Tactix Delta Solar while a disappointment in the Bluetooth connectivity and the AB interface with some PLRFs, but is hands down longer running than the 5X.

If you have a 5X and are happy with the battery life no need to upgrade, there is even a ballistics program for it. If you don't have the PLRF that doesn't interface with the Garmin Tactix Delta Solar and want a new watch the 6x Solar should be looked at. I would not be worried about the battery.

Just an FYI I used the Garmin Fenix series and forerunners before that tracking trail running, through scouting. Run the GPS in the watches until they've run flat in both hot and the winters in Wyoming, often recharging them with portable power. Antidotal as it might be I have never had a battery take a shit on me. Granted I've sold them off and upgraded them over time, but they are about the best smartwatch out. The New Garmin Tactix Delta Solar while a disappointment in the Bluetooth connectivity and the AB interface with some PLRFs, but is hands down longer running than the 5X.

If you have a 5X and are happy with the battery life no need to upgrade, there is even a ballistics program for it. If you don't have the PLRF that doesn't interface with the Garmin Tactix Delta Solar and want a new watch the 6x Solar should be looked at. I would not be worried about the battery.
Mine averages 10 days with all sensors running 24/7. Now I do get the benefit of solar recharges at 35000 feet 😉

Reactions: automatik

The batteries in Garmin wearables are not user replaceable. Here's a link to our knowledge base articles regarding batteries. It doesn't answer your question directly but there is a link to chat or call a support associate at the bottom and they can help with your question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnitude
The batteries in Garmin wearables are not user replaceable. Here's a link to our knowledge base articles regarding batteries. It doesn't answer your question directly but there is a link to chat or call a support associate at the bottom and they can help with your question. To be honest, it's not something that I've ever been asked before so I can't answer you directly.
Thank you for the response. I know it's not something that probably comes up all that often but recently, I came across several of my devices that are not terribly old (5-8 years old) that are now obsolete because they have rechargeable batteries that wont take a charge anymore and the cost and hassle to get the batteries replaced is not worth it.

Every rechargeable battery will come to the end of it's life eventually and it would be nice to know what the plan is 5-10 years down the road when these very expensive devices wont hold a charge anymore. I'll send an email over to customer support to see if I can get an answer.

Last edited:
Got the answer...Only 1 year warranty on the battery and $180 to replace it.

"If there is a battery issue within the first year, the exchange of the device would be covered under warranty. After that the non-warranty fee will be $180 USD. This is a new device so I forsee us being able to support and exchange it if needed for many years."

Any electronic device that is 5 or more years old is obsolete, no matter if the battery still works.
Like most consumer goods made today, they are meant to be disposed of and replaced.

Reactions: DocUSMCRetired
Any electronic device that is 5 or more years old is obsolete, no matter if the battery still works.
Like most consumer goods made today, they are meant to be disposed of and replaced.
Yes, exactly the point I was trying to make with being a past owner of so many great Garmin devices. Same point as @lowlight was making :)

The App

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.40.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.40.13 AM.png
    468.2 KB · Views: 80
When I try to connect to my watch it says the watch needs a firmware update or the device is not supported but it's completely updated according to Garmin Express.

OK, that was wierd. GE said it was up to date but when I removed the watch from the cable it has 15.2 to install. Kind of a silent install.

I uploaded a test profile from phone to watch. Haven't had time to do much else with it. I'll work with it this evening.

OK, that was wierd. GE said it was up to date but when I removed the watch from the cable it has 15.2 to install. Kind of a silent install.
Ya, that's how the Garmin install works. you have to unplug to get it to load the new maps and firmware. Then the first time you press the start-stop button it should display the new firmware version.

Holy smokes, this is a great addition to the watch!

Once multiple profiles are loaded, go to quick edit vis the start/stop button, scroll down to profiles, click on profiles, find the profile and click it again to load the profile.

Unable to find ab synapse in connect iq. Tried from my laptop and phone. Confirmed I have 15.2 update. What am I missing?

Why isn't the app available in Germany?

I can find it via Google search in the app store but the store tells me it's not available in my country...

I use a Galaxy Note 10+ (Android 11 up to date)

When I search directly in the play store, I'm not able to find the AB Synapse App. Maybe it is not approved for the german market and/or not listed?
The Applied Balistics App or Garmin Explore are listed and ready for installation.

Had a little time over the last 3 or 4 days to really work with the Garmin w AB and the Terrapin X. (Currently using a Geo Ballistics weather meter as I sold my Older Kestrel). Initially I had issues connecting Terrapin X to phone app. Once I thought I had that figured out I worked with the targets on the Tactix with AB. Had a little hesitation on connection there as well, but it has seemed to get quicker. I think one of the things that helps is bumping on the Terrapin X and letting it simply be on for a few minutes. Same goes with the G Delta.

Hit the range, input wind, direction and temp into Delta with AB, ranged 6 targets with Terrapin X and Delta and went to work. Pretty darn cool.

I've got 6 rifles set up in the Delta with AB. It takes a little bit to get used to moving around quickly but with a little bit of time, and just playing around I've become quite fond of it.

The Garmin Delta with AB. I haven't wore a watch for 20 years. I have really become fond of a watch again. Since last August I've only taken it off to charge it. I use it multiple times daily. (Alarms, Timers, etc with my work so much better than using my phone)
Cannot wait for what comes next.

PS, I did by the Tempe and have it on my range pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: 300wmSlick
Had a little time over the last 3 or 4 days to really work with the Garmin w AB and the Terrapin X. (Currently using a Geo Ballistics weather meter as I sold my Older Kestrel). Initially I had issues connecting Terrapin X to phone app. Once I thought I had that figured out I worked with the targets on the Tactix with AB. Had a little hesitation on connection there as well, but it has seemed to get quicker. I think one of the things that helps is bumping on the Terrapin X and letting it simply be on for a few minutes. Same goes with the G Delta.

Hit the range, input wind, direction and temp into Delta with AB, ranged 6 targets with Terrapin X and Delta and went to work. Pretty darn cool.

I've got 6 rifles set up in the Delta with AB. It takes a little bit to get used to moving around quickly but with a little bit of time, and just playing around I've become quite fond of it.

The Garmin Delta with AB. I haven't wore a watch for 20 years. I have really become fond of a watch again. Since last August I've only taken it off to charge it. I use it multiple times daily. (Alarms, Timers, etc with my work so much better than using my phone)
Cannot wait for what comes next.

PS, I did by the Tempe and have it on my range pack.
Same here. I hadn’t worn a watch since my military days. I only take mine off to charge or if I know I’m going to be getting really dirty like working in the yard and stuff.

Reactions: GUNNER75