• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin AB watch

So is everyone keeping the factory band?

I like the nylon band for day to day, but it can get grimy during a match so I try to swap out to the silicone band if I'm going to be out in the dirt.

If you want something different, any of the QuickFit 26mm bands from Garmin will work on the watch. They come in many colors and materials. There is also one listed on the Descent Dive Watch page that is extra long if you want something that will go on the outside of a coat during the winter months.

Last edited:
The watch comes with CDMs and PDMs pre-loaded, so yes you get them.

The app is actually being worked on by one of our team members right now so hopefully it will be ready for launch soon.
Hi, I am trying to pair the SIG kilo 3000 with the tactix. Cant figure it out. Kilo is in ABX mode but tactix wont find it. I played around a bit and it added it as a vectronix but not under applied ballistics in sensors. As vectronix it didnt update the range in the app. Would be great if you could walk me through it quick?

Need to send an email to Garmin and to Vectronix.

If you have a 701 as well, see if they will talk.

I have sent multiple emails to both Garmin and Vectronix. Surprisingly, with the help of Frank, Theis and another hider, I was able to get really strong comms with Vectronix. They are aware of the challenge and are just as eager as I am to find a resolution. The problem is with Garmin.

If you have the Garmin Tactix Ballistic product managers info, I'd happily take it over PM to start a dialogue.

In order to pair the two:

1) Make sure the 3000 BDX is in ABE mode.
2) On the Garmin TDS go to Sensors and Accessories --> Add New --> Applied Ballistics

That should pair them right up.

Hi Doc, thanks. Thats what I have been doing. As far as I know, ABE is on the kilo 2400, the 3000 calls it ABX - bottom line external ballistics. Thats also what Garmin support said - put it to external and they should talk. But they don't. Connected the kilo as well as the TDS to make sure both got the latest firmware. Nada. Here some pictures. Any other ideas?
20201104_111151.jpg
20201104_111223.jpg
20201104_111242.jpg

Hi Doc, thanks. Thats what I have been doing. As far as I know, ABE is on the kilo 2400, the 3000 calls it ABX - bottom line external ballistics. Thats also what Garmin support said - put it to external and they should talk. But they don't. Connected the kilo as well as the TDS to make sure both got the latest firmware. Nada. Here some pictures. Any other ideas?

Connected now... kept playing with it... re installed BDX software, cleared pairings off the kilo (never had a sight paired to it), kept flipping through different combinations in settings... ended up connecting the exact same way i had been tryijg for god knows how many times... anywayyyyy important is it works now ;)

Reactions: DocUSMCRetired
I have similar issues, just with Bushnell Nitro 1800. I connect to the watch with no problem on ABE mode with Nitro, BT symbol pops up, I lase the target, get reading and no range data is uploaded to the watch... I have latest fw for garmin, bit tricky to find out the fw on Nitro...but Bushnell app reads it without problem...

I have similar issues, just with Bushnell Nitro 1800. I connect to the watch with no problem on ABE mode with Nitro, BT symbol pops up, I lase the target, get reading and no range data is uploaded to the watch... I have latest fw for garmin, bit tricky to find out the fw on Nitro...but Bushnell app reads it without problem...
When you went through the watch settings and to add sensor, did you go search all sensors? Then it may add it as something else. You need to go through the list of sensor types until you find applied ballistics and add it from there. So delete the sensor (maybe under vectronix) and try with applied ballistics.

When you went through the watch settings and to add sensor, did you go search all sensors? Then it may add it as something else. You need to go through the list of sensor types until you find applied ballistics and add it from there. So delete the sensor (maybe under vectronix) and try with applied ballistics.
I did that, tried both options. Connection itself seems to work fine, just watch do not update any data and only way how to change the range is still manual :(

I did that, tried both options. Connection itself seems to work fine, just watch do not update any data and only way how to change the range is still manual :(
Hmmm weird. I guess they got a bug in there. Asked garmin, 0 help. Just kept trying and removing / pairing wildly and eventually it worked while doing it the same way i had done it. But mine didnt pair under applied ballistics - as soon as it did it worked. Guess just keep playing with it for a bit?

Hmmm weird. I guess they got a bug in there. Asked garmin, 0 help. Just kept trying and removing / pairing wildly and eventually it worked while doing it the same way i had done it. But mine didnt pair under applied ballistics - as soon as it did it worked. Guess just keep playing with it for a bit?
Solved :)! Don’t know how exactly, but the sequence of steps might help someone:

- reset Delta to factory
- update Delta fw again
- pull battery off Nitro for like 5mins
- turn Nitro on and set it to ABE (mine was still there even after pulling the battery)
- add AB sensor on Delta, should pair quite quickly
- open AB app from activities
- laze target and have fun ;)

I did not have my phone with me doing this, so connection between Delta and iPhone might influence this as well

Glad it worked out :) told ya, keep playing with it :p interesting point on the phone, if it is connected to either delta or range finder it may have an impact I guess.

So I was curious last night how accurate the barometer is in the watch. Cruisin along at 34000 feet, this was the cabin altitude (6400 feet)

6A76E373-5938-444B-BB26-7A2024AEE279.jpeg

I would expect my watch to read somewhere in the realm of 23.52. Here is what it said

C36BC0F2-5420-4728-943D-B13B92E8F152.jpeg

pretty close and more than close enough for a reasonable shooting solution.

So I was curious last night how accurate the barometer is in the watch. Cruisin along at 34000 feet, this was the cabin altitude (6400 feet)

View attachment 7479105

I would expect my watch to read somewhere in the realm of 23.52. Here is what it said

View attachment 7479107

pretty close and more than close enough for a reasonable shooting solution.

So now we have proof that yall pilots are purposely freezing us passengers out in the back while you have it warm and cozy haha :p

So now we have proof that yall pilots are purposely freezing us passengers out in the back while you have it warm and cozy haha :p
Ha. The flight attendants control their temps. But don’t let that fool you. Where i sit it’s cold as fuck. The temp sensor is back by the door where the warm air collects.
most of the flight attendants are in menopause so the hot flashes necessitate cooler temps 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Daniel-01
Okay .. interesting. This brings to my attention what I could hope a future product will fix - was hoping the PLRF25c would fix it, but it did not: Direction of Fire and Angle. Essentially the only data point we're getting from the T-X to the Garmin is Horizontal Range if I'm seeing all this correctly.

Either way, it's a superior solution for my use case, but the unique outlier is elk hunting where angles are everything. I shot a bull at 318 yards this year, and it was quite vertical. Held my 100y zero.

Pic of said angle, though it doesn't do it justice. That opening is nearly straight below my firing position on the top of a cliff.

E9E5BA8A-054A-46FA-884F-83270CA24D0C.jpeg

Reactions: Jakeweb09
Okay .. interesting. This brings to my attention what I could hope a future product will fix - was hoping the PLRF25c would fix it, but it did not: Direction of Fire and Angle. Essentially the only data point we're getting from the T-X to the Garmin is Horizontal Range if I'm seeing all this correctly.

Either way, it's a superior solution for my use case, but the unique outlier is elk hunting where angles are everything. I shot a bull at 318 yards this year, and it was quite vertical. Held my 100y zero.

Pic of said angle, though it doesn't do it justice. That opening is nearly straight below my firing position on the top of a cliff.

View attachment 7496974
Is the plrf not populating the angle? DOF is a different story I do wish that would auto populate

FWIW, the PLRF is not actually supported. It just happens to work due to similarities with the Terrapin X protocol.

I'm glad you popped on here. What's your connection w/ Garmin?

I can confirm 100% that the PLRF25c, latest version, latest software, will not connect to the Garmin Ballistic using latest software. It did at one point though. You have to roll back the Garmin software to one of the first available version to get it to communicate data, and even then its only range; no other variables. Essentially a T-X will do the exact same thing, but the T-X will connect to the newest SW releases of the Garmin watch unlike the PLRF25c.

The limitation is on the Garmin, not the PLRF25c. I believe it's a RAM issue as well.

@TacticalDillhole Go rid of the PLRF25c bc it wouldn't connect. Never tried earlier Garmin SW as a solution bc didn't want to break all my other apps just for range finder use. Does the T-X populate the Angle? I was under the impression it only communicated range, nothing else.

I'm glad you popped on here. What's your connection w/ Garmin?

Does the T-X populate the Angle? I was under the impression it only communicated range, nothing else.

I'm the Product Manager for the Foretrex 701 and the ballistics portion of the Tactix.

You are correct, the T-X does not populate the angle on the Garmin, it's range only.

I'm the Product Manager for the Foretrex 701 and the ballistics portion of the Tactix.

You are correct, the T-X does not populate the angle on the Garmin, it's range only.
You should open up the watch to allow any input any compatible device will push. One of my few complaints is the tediousness it takes to input into the software. If my LRF will push angle range and DOF you should allow it to auto populate

You should open up the watch to allow any input any compatible device will push. One of my few complaints is the tediousness it takes to input into the software. If my LRF will push angle range and DOF you should allow it to auto populate

Believe this is coming with a SW release in 2021, but unlikely with the T-X. T-X uses iLink (iirc) and PLRF25 uses a different config to send data. Whatever Garmin and Optics1 do, it will most likely require one to have new HW. If they could make it happen like we're all anticipating, it'll be a YUUUUGE hit.

I tried to use mine this year on two of three Elk sets. By the time I ranged each shot it was just faster to use the pre-printed dope card.

I love the watch, but it is kinda better as a backup imho

Reactions: LastShot300
I tried to use mine this year on two of three Elk sets. By the time I ranged each shot it was just faster to use the pre-printed dope card.

I love the watch, but it is kinda better as a backup imho

LRF not paired to watch?

IMO, that’s only real way to really get much out of the watch (except as a backup of course).

LRF not paired to watch?

IMO, that’s only real way to really get much out of the watch (except as a backup of course).

No, super unfortunate that they don't play with Leica and other than the much larger and heavier Leica made Terrapin X, the Leica's have the smallest diode controlled beam. The size and weight are important for my hunts away from the vehicles and the beam for fast sure target confidence.

Unfortunately, AB was not very clear about the connectivity and I bought a watch, that other than Solar (very nice) was not much better solver than what I had in my similar Fenix 5X.

I have a confession to make. I tend to turn off Bluetooth anyway on the Leica, it slows the wakeup, slows the read, and in some cases for a very frustratingly long time. If an animal is already walking* this can be a real deal killer. I find it far faster in the field just to get range, most of the time I'll know the drop within a 1/10th anyway, if not the dope card on the sidewinder is right in front of my face.

*Normally, we try to get the animals when they are stopped, this year I took two Elk on the walk.

• Sad
Reactions: Dthomas3523
No, super unfortunate that they don't play with Leica and other than the much larger and heavier Leica made Terrapin X, the Leica's have the smallest diode controlled beam. The size and weight are important for my hunts away from the vehicles and the beam for fast sure target confidence.

Unfortunately, AB was not very clear about the connectivity and I bought a watch, that other than Solar (very nice) was not much better solver than what I had in my similar Fenix 5X.

I have a confession to make. I tend to turn off Bluetooth anyway on the Leica, it slows the wakeup, slows the read, and in some cases for a very frustratingly long time. If an animal is already walking* this can be a real deal killer. I find it far faster in the field just to get range, most of the time I'll know the drop within a 1/10th anyway, if not the dope card on the sidewinder is right in front of my face.

*Normally, we try to get the animals when they are stopped, this year I took two Elk on the walk.

Damn. Ya, it’s just better than worthless without a paired LRF. Not knocking it. As with an LRF it’s the cat’s meow.

Reactions: Diver160651
Picked up one of these last month after selling my Kestrel Elite. So far, I’ve mainly been using the general features and golf app. My Tempe arrived and it looks to be working correctly but I’m not sure the pressure is getting set right.

I’ve calibrated the barometer and altimeter but the pressure in AB isn’t matching the barometric pressure the watch is giving. Example, I tell it to Use Current Pressure and it returns 26.86inHg, if I look at barometric pressure it says it’s 30.15inHg.

Edit: Never mind. I see that it’s converting the barometric to station pressure.

Last edited:
This is probaly a question for Garmin. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the watch but for $1400 I want to know the estimated EOL (End of Life) on the watch and also for the AB support on the app on that hardware. All software and computer hardware has an EOL, it is usually known, expected, and is usually based on product life cycles.

If the EOL is less than 5 years I'll probably pass.

Ye
This is probaly a question for Garmin. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the watch but for $1400 I want to know the estimated EOL (End of Life) on the watch and also for the AB support on the app on that hardware. All software and computer hardware has an EOL, it is usually known, expected, and is usually based on product life cycles.

Yeah you may want to ask Garmin on that. Or wait 5 years and I will let you know how mine is doing :) :) :)

@glassg or @DocUSMCRetired should be able to help

I have one, if not a Garmin dealer I’d of never bought it. Does a lot of thing good but nothing great....Think of it as a novelty that’s why I picked one up. You’ll need a $30 dollar tempe also but not a big deal.

I have one, if not a Garmin dealer I’d of never bought it. Does a lot of thing good but nothing great....Think of it as a novelty that’s why I picked one up. You’ll need a $30 dollar tempe also but not a big deal.

Guess that's going to do it form me. I really wanted one of these. That said the 51mm diameter is also a flag for me. I have onions in my pantry that are smaller than that. I have a Rolex that's been with me since ~1980. It still ticks and keeps time really well. And it's only 40mm across.