• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin AB watch

When connected to a Tempe and a compatible LRF it should not require manually inputting the information. An update was put out not long ago that should update the bullet library onboard, giving the user access to to the full library. This update is performed through Garmin Connect on a phone or via a computer. Future options are also being explored and analyzed to improve upon its capability and connectivity. I was only speaking as of currently and apologize. No telling what future firmware updates may hold.
I have a tempe . And while it is off by a few degrees, it is insignificant and not what I was referring to.
I am talking about the never ending drift of the heading, pressure, altitude and position readings. I can zoom all the way in on the track log page, set the unit down and watch it drift all around 50 feet or more.
The fact that you suggest I purchase a compatible LRF, makes my point.
With the Naviter, you just zoom in on an earth view overlay map and set the way point EXACTLY where you want it. Accuracy is within a couple of feet regardless of your distance to the target. In other words, you don't need an LRF at all.
You guys are missing the boat on hardware capabilities that have been out there for at least 5 years that I can personally verify.
Your just not hearing it.

Any chance of this Garmin AB watch being brought out to the Precision Rifle Expo this fall?

Last edited:
If I could figure out how to post a pic, I could put it up right now.
Where is the PR expo?

This is what it looks like. It obviously is designed and formatted for use in aviation.
But it is because for what it is designed for that requires it to be so accurate.
I could almost trust it to do an ILS approach if my nav systems failed. That's why I bring it along in my flight bag with my emergency radio

Attachments

• 0710202109.jpg
    0710202109.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 96
You should encourage Garmin to make a ANT+ or Bluetooth wind sensor/meter. That way you could update the wind values dynamically. You should also suggest an external gyroscope, the size of Tempe, that you attach to your gun and it sends your look angle to be included in the firing solution. It could also tell you if you have cant.

Reactions: 338 Cowboy
Any chance of this Garmin AB watch being brought out to the Precision Rifle Expo this fall?

I will be wearing one. It is my daily watch.

you don’t want to connect it with a kestrel to take wind and temperature?

This is not up to us. This is up to Garmin and Kestrel. If you would like to see the watch talk to a Kestrel then I highly recommend you send a request to Nielsen-Kellerman: https://kestrelinstruments.com/nk/contact/contact-us

This is what it looks like. It obviously is designed and formatted for use in aviation.
But it is because for what it is designed for that requires it to be so accurate.
I could almost trust it to do an ILS approach if my nav systems failed. That's why I bring it along in my flight bag with my emergency radio

Not apples to apples, as Garmin makes some of the best aviation tools in the world. I have some fishing stuff of theirs and its incredible. But those kinds of devices use algorithms to position you. Which is why sometimes your car GPS is "off". If you looked at the raw data you would see it isn't a constant precise number but that in nearly all cases they are using software to stabilize or even predict your location (like placing your car on a road for navigation).

I have a tempe . And while it is off by a few degrees, it is insignificant and not what I was referring to.
I am talking about the never ending drift of the heading, pressure, altitude and position readings. I can zoom all the way in on the track log page, set the unit down and watch it drift all around 50 feet or more.
The fact that you suggest I purchase a compatible LRF, makes my point.
With the Naviter, you just zoom in on an earth view overlay map and set the way point EXACTLY where you want it. Accuracy is within a couple of feet regardless of your distance to the target. In other words, you don't need an LRF at all.
You guys are missing the boat on hardware capabilities that have been out there for at least 5 years that I can personally verify.
Your just not hearing it.

Way more complex than simply spitting numbers out on a map. Lots of algorithms and sometimes intentional misque involved so the devices cannot be weaponized. I know the Garmin 701 is technically accurate to sub meter locating.

Last edited:
We get it you don't like it. I use Garmin products to shoot ILS approaches all day. Who cares! This is a thread about a smart watch. That little box in your hand doesn't have AB in it. If you want to start a thread comparing Aviation products to shooting products please do.

Reactions: Clearlight
If you offer AB on IQ i'd be happy to buy it. I'm not going to buy a new watch though. What is different about the hardware? It looks like the Fenix 6 with solar.

We get it you don't like it. I use Garmin products to shoot ILS approaches all day. Who cares! This is a thread about a smart watch. That little box in your hand doesn't have AB in it. If you want to start a thread comparing Aviation products to shooting products please do.
All what you say may be true.
Point is, sell the customer what he want or he will find someone else who will.
At the end of the day the only reason any of us are here is to improve our skills. If this watch falls short, it's open to discussion.

At the end of the day the only reason any of us are here is to improve our skills. If this watch falls short, it's open to discussion.
Agreed.

Falls short in what way?

Will this conect to any of the AB enabled LRF's? Im using Sig 3000 and kestrel, would be great if sig 3000 could populate targeting information.

Researched the company in the above link. Seemed pretty legit. So I ordered one. It allowed PayPal, so should be protected. But from everything I found online, they are g2g.

My plan is to use the watch as my main source for dope with a tempe sensor attached to pack. Kestrel will be backup dope and when winds are more than I feel comfortable estimating and need a reading to help confidence.

This will also allow me to just keep my terrapin in my pack and binos on tripod. Swap them out as necessary. Currently I had them both mounted on a plate along with my kestrel since I needed to be doing a few things at once with kestrel and needed it hands free.

And I was planning on upgrading my older fenix 4, so this came along at the right time.

Also, if it’s like the 701 software, I believe I can turn off AJ and use both winds without manipulating wind1 off and on.

Reactions: usafa77
Researched the company in the above link. Seemed pretty legit. So I ordered one. It allowed PayPal, so should be protected. But from everything I found online, they are g2g.

My plan is to use the watch as my main source for dope with a tempe sensor attached to pack. Kestrel will be backup dope and when winds are more than I feel comfortable estimating and need a reading to help confidence.

This will also allow me to just keep my terrapin in my pack and binos on tripod. Swap them out as necessary. Currently I had them both mounted on a plate along with my kestrel since I needed to be doing a few things at once with kestrel and needed it hands free.

And I was planning on upgrading my older fenix 4, so this came along at the right time.

Also, if it’s like the 701 software, I believe I can turn off AJ and use both winds without manipulating wind1 off and on.
Looking forward to your report. I am itching to buy one but want to see more reviews of them

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I was thinking along those lines for hunting. Use the watch for dope, and a few mapping features. Carry the BDX 3000. Leave the Kestrel at home for matches, ditch the old Garmin Rino since no one but me tried to talk on it anyway.

Looking forward to your report. I am itching to buy one but want to see more reviews of them

Well, looks like it will be a few weeks. That site just emailed me and said their inventory was showing wrong online and that Garmin is sold out as well. Will be Aug 24th or so, or I can cancel.

The price was $200 off, so I’ll probably just wait.

Reactions: Nik H

You can turn AJ on/off.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I was thinking along those lines for hunting. Use the watch for dope, and a few mapping features. Carry the BDX 3000. Leave the Kestrel at home for matches, ditch the old Garmin Rino since no one but me tried to talk on it anyway.

If you bow hunt, then check out the Xero sight which connects up and uses the mapping features. It drops a pin where the target was when you loosed.

Garmin needs a better Tempe that is supplied such that sunlight does not mess with the readings. Maybe design it so we can spin it on a string like a Kestrel to get the temperature to correct itself.

I've seen mine off by 10 degrees at least at times and its challenging my confidence with Garmin.

These things are not cheap and should be designed to work for real in the field in match settings.

I also hope that wind direction is via compass bearing (at least as an option) and not just the clock, that way wind inputs will be relevant when multiple targets are in different directions.

That's been a real sticking point for me with my Garmin 701. What good is a 3 oclock wind value when one target is at a bearing of 10 degrees and the second target is at a bearing of 100 degrees? You just can't mix and match between the clock and the compass with multiple targets.

Last edited:
Garmin needs a better Tempe that is supplied such that sunlight does not mess with the readings. Maybe design it so we can spin it on a string like a Kestrel to get the temperature to correct itself.

I've seen mine off by 10 degrees at least at times and its challenging my confidence with Garmin.

These things are not cheap and should be designed to work for real in the field in match settings.

I also hope that wind direction is via compass bearing (at least as an option) and not just the clock, that way wind inputs will be relevant when multiple targets are in different directions.

That's been a real sticking point for me with my Garmin 701. What good is a 3 oclock wind value when one target is at a bearing of 10 degrees and the second target is at a bearing of 100 degrees? You just can't mix and match between the clock and the compass with multiple targets.

Radiation heating from the sun is a universal issue. No matter what temp sensor you are using, it should be shielded from the sun. Multi thousand dollar weather stations use a radiation shield and a fan and those temp sensors are kept out of direct sunlight.

You can actually swing the tempe on a string, just tie one in on the clip.

Wind direction is set in clock direction. If you wish to see clock in degrees I would recommend sending that request to Garmin so they can evaluate the possibility of adding that feature.

If you bow hunt, then check out the Xero sight which connects up and uses the mapping features. It drops a pin where the target was when you loosed.

That's pretty damn slick. This watch caused me to order a PLRF25c, and now I'm thinking this sight too. LOL. This spun out of control quickly.

@DocUSMCRetired On another note, I'm curious... How quickly does the PLRF25c (or Vectronics in general) connect to the AB watch? For example, if the watch and PLRF were sync'd via bluetooth a month prior, is it as simple as taking the watch, switching it to AB and ranging with the PLRF to populate data? Or what additional steps would need to happen to get the data input to the watch?

I'm thinking in terms of needing dope quite quickly for a hunting scenario.

That's pretty damn slick. This watch caused me to order a PLRF25c, and now I'm thinking this sight too. LOL. This spun out of control quickly.

@DocUSMCRetired On another note, I'm curious... How quickly does the PLRF25c (or Vectronics in general) connect to the AB watch? For example, if the watch and PLRF were sync'd via bluetooth a month prior, is it as simple as taking the watch, switching it to AB and ranging with the PLRF to populate data? Or what additional steps would need to happen to get the data input to the watch?

I'm thinking in terms of needing dope quite quickly for a hunting scenario.

In my testing, I like to turn the PLRF on and count to 3. Then laser a target. Thats generally for all LRFs that work with it though. The best way to think about it, is when you turn on a pair of headphones. About how long before you would start hearing music, a little less time than that.

In my testing, I like to turn the PLRF on and count to 3. Then laser a target. Thats generally for all LRFs that work with it though. The best way to think about it, is when you turn on a pair of headphones. About how long before you would start hearing music, a little less time than that.

Sweet. So pretty quick start up, and no need to reconnect, right?

Have had mine about a week. I’m really liking it overall. I owned the original tactix when it came out, so the size of this one is much smaller. Some complain this watch is too big, but as someone who’s had older watches, this one isn’t bad at all.

The battery life is awesome. Granted, I spend a lot of time outside, so I’m sure that helps.

Data for my centerfire lines up the same as kestrel. I haven’t messed with Rimfire yet. I’m shooting a match this weekend, so I’ll have it paired to the terrapin and will have a good idea how that worka next week.

Reactions: kindabitey
Anyone know when the software in the Garmin Delta AB watch will be updated ? The zero offset is backwards. For example enter in that I’m .76 inch high at 100 yards and my elevation adjustment I need goes up not down.

Anyone else notice this ?

Reactions: 338 Cowboy
Have had mine about a week. I’m really liking it overall. I owned the original tactix when it came out, so the size of this one is much smaller. Some complain this watch is too big, but as someone who’s had older watches, this one isn’t bad at all.

The battery life is awesome. Granted, I spend a lot of time outside, so I’m sure that helps.

Data for my centerfire lines up the same as kestrel. I haven’t messed with Rimfire yet. I’m shooting a match this weekend, so I’ll have it paired to the terrapin and will have a good idea how that worka next week.
Where did you buy it @Dthomas3523?

Where did you buy it @Dthomas3523?

DI Precision in Texas is where I got mine

One left. They run a 15% discount if you sign up for there letters. Brings the price to 1190.. Pretty good I thought.

I got mine for $1200 with discount (not sure if the 15% would have stacked, I doubt it).

But, be ready to wait. When ordered mine it said 3 in stock. They emailed next day and said there was an error on their online inventory. I could wait three weeks or so, or get a refund. It was the only discounted I’ve seen anywhere so I waited. They were extremely fast with communications and had no issue with a refund. So their CS seems very good.

I’d assume they fixed the inventory issue, but you never know.

I got mine for $1200 with discount (not sure if the 15% would have stacked, I doubt it).

But, be ready to wait. When ordered mine it said 3 in stock. They emailed next day and said there was an error on their online inventory. I could wait three weeks or so, or get a refund. It was the only discounted I’ve seen anywhere so I waited. They were extremely fast with communications and had no issue with a refund. So their CS seems very good.

I’d assume they fixed the inventory issue, but you never know.

Good info. No rush here. Worth capitalizing on a discount.