• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin tactix 7 Pro Ballistics

It’s possible that the Sig BDX optic can only connect to one device at a time. I know that Kestrel had to update their units to manage 3 devices together. I couldn’t find much information on getting that combo your trying. To work together. You might be stuck with the sig BDX app ,sig kilo3000 bino and BDX optic combo. Best of luck and hope someone out there has more answers for you.
This was the only reason i purchased the Tactix. Sig has repeatedly stated that you need to pair with a Garmin or kestrel with ABE to unlock the 800+ feature. I hope this is user error and not a Garmin/Sig coding limitation. I feel that the Tactix should be able to pair with the scope and output the firing solution. Thanks for your feedback

This was the only reason i purchased the Tactix. Sig has repeatedly stated that you need to pair with a Garmin or kestrel with ABE to unlock the 800+ feature. I hope this is user error and not a Garmin/Sig coding limitation. I feel that the Tactix should be able to pair with the scope and output the firing solution. Thanks for your feedback
I’ll try and do some research on this. As I have a friend that is running a sig BDX rifle scope and kilo 3000 bino’s. He also has a kestrel with AB I have the Tactix 7 AB. I’ll try to get back to you asap with what we find. Might take a week or two.

Reactions: Dcubano
It’s possible that the Sig BDX optic can only connect to one device at a time. I know that Kestrel had to update their units to manage 3 devices together. I couldn’t find much information on getting that combo your trying. To work together. You might be stuck with the sig BDX app ,sig kilo3000 bino and BDX optic combo. Best of luck and hope someone out there has more answers for you.
That is the most likely culprit.

ok.. so i have the Sig Kelo 3000 binoculars, Sig SierraBDX6 5-30x56 scope and the Garmin Tactix with applied ballistics elite. I am having problems making all 3 work together. The binos tell me i need to set ABE so it connects to the watch but once i do that, the binos wont communicate with the scope. anyone have advise to get the firing solution to display on my scope? i tried connecting the scope with the watch but wouldn't connect.

@Garmin

I don't have a BDX scope to try this with, but I'm pretty sure it should work. Do you have the binos connected to the Sig BDX app on your phone still? You might try making sure the app is shutdown or turn your phone off, that may interfere. Otherwise, I would reach out to @DocUSMCRetired and see if he can help.

@Garmin Will any support coming for the Sig 6K binoculars? I know they have AB lite, I’d like to use use the watch for further ranges.

@Garmin
Will the Tactix play nice with the Leica 3500 yet?
The Garmin Tactix and Foretrex 701 only communicate with the Leica Geovid Pro models (models that include AB). As a general rule, our devices should work with devices that contain AB with no changes required on either side.

EDIT** After further research, it looks like additional Leica devices can be make compatible with AB. I assume this would include the AB comms necessary to communicate with Garmin devices. See this link... AB for Legacy Leica products

Last edited:
The Sig Sauer KILO6K-HD binos should work with the Tactix and Foretrex. I'm waiting on confirmation regarding the KILO6K-HD Compact.
I kind of understand this. To be clear, I purchased a Kestrel with AB tonight to use with my Leica rangefinder. I would've bought a Garmin but...

I kind of understand this. To be clear, I purchased a Kestrel with AB tonight to use with my Leica rangefinder. I would've bought a Garmin but...
I know it's too late for you now, but hopefully this will help someone else in the same situation.

I did some more digging and found this thread AB for Legacy Leica products which says that you can now download an app from Leica to make some legacy devices compatible with AB. I would assume this includes the AB communication protocols needed to pair with the Garmin devices.

I know it's too late for you now, but hopefully this will help someone else in the same situation.

I did some more digging and found this thread AB for Legacy Leica products which says that you can now download an app from Leica to make some legacy devices compatible with AB. I would assume this includes the AB communication protocols needed to pair with the Garmin devices.
I find it odd that Leica's rangefinder market share is so high yet I have not found one person who has had the CRF 3500 (their flagship) work with a Garmin AB watch. I've used the new Leica app. Would be nice for the industry to take a swing at this.

I can't find the steps to connect my 7 Delta AB to my Kestrel. Anyone get this to work?

I did find somwhere where turn on the Kestrel to PC/Mobile, then add an "Other" sensor and it should see the 5700Elite, but it never found anything. I checked to make sure no other devices were connected to the Kestrel.

They would sell more if they could make this more readily available to find. I have the latest FW and SW on both the watch and 5700.

I can't find the steps to connect my 7 Delta AB to my Kestrel. Anyone get this to work?

I did find somwhere where turn on the Kestrel to PC/Mobile, then add an "Other" sensor and it should see the 5700Elite, but it never found anything. I checked to make sure no other devices were connected to the Kestrel.

They would sell more if they could make this more readily available to find. I have the latest FW and SW on both the watch and 5700.
I’m not sure the delta is compatible honestly, it might only be the 7.

To be clear, do you have a Tactix 7 Pro Ballistics or a Tactix Delta with Ballistics? The Kestrel integration is only available on the Tactix 7, not the Tactix Delta.

To be clear, do you have a Tactix 7 Pro Ballistics or a Tactix Delta with Ballistics? The Kestrel integration is only available on the Tactix 7, not the Tactix Delta.
tactix® 7 – Pro Ballistics Edition. 010-02704-20 is what's on my order sheet direct from Garmin.

I still can't find the Kestrel with my watch.....They would sell much more of these if it wasn't a battle to use them.

Clear instructions would help.......I searched Google and Garmin's support forum.

So you have to buy two products, both with Applied Ballistics, to get the watch to display the AB data?

So you have to buy two products, both with Applied Ballistics, to get the watch to display the AB data?
No. The watch has AB built in. If you want the kestrel integration then yes, you have to have the kestrel with AB. It’s really only practical if you are already in the AB ecosystem

I still can't find the Kestrel with my watch.....They would sell much more of these if it wasn't a battle to use them.

Clear instructions would help.......I searched Google and Garmin's support forum.
Not sure why you are having such an issue. Mine was seemless

I’ll try and do some research on this. As I have a friend that is running a sig BDX rifle scope and kilo 3000 bino’s. He also has a kestrel with AB I have the Tactix 7 AB. I’ll try to get back to you asap with what we find. Might take a week or two.
Hello. Any luck testing this past 800 yds?

I was able to pair with my Kestrel today! It doesn't appear to be a like a HUD setup with the 5700 sending the elevation and wind hold settings, but acts purely as a weather station, using the AB built in to the watch. Makes sense.

Reactions: _Windrider_
For kicks and giggles I tried to pair my Kestrel to my Tactix 7. It doesn't seem to find it. Kestrel is in PC/Mobile mode. Tactix is settings/Sensors&Accessories/Add New/Other as well as Applied Ballistics but doesn't find it. Search All Sensors doesn't find it either.

Both Kestrel and Tactix find no software updates so I assume I'm on the latest versions. J_D, did you follow the same process?

I really struggled and it just wasn't finding it, I did go back and update both devices, and when I tried the method you used it finally showed up.

Here it's showing what you should see.

8940611A-7822-4120-986F-5B56DCE028CF.jpegA57E8CB8-8E09-4648-8BB3-F523320001CE.jpeg45CF3728-D8A4-4FCC-832A-7FD62B1E4482.jpeg

Looks like it did connect but the sensor was turned off in the watch. Toggled it and now connected.

Reactions: J_D
I don't think i have seen anyone mention the Kestrel HUD. Can anyone confirm or deny operations for it with the Tactix 7 Pro w/AB?

I have a question that I’m not sure has been covered.

When pairing the 7 Pro to a laser rangefinder w/ AB, do you configure the laser rangefinder to report, true distance, or angle corrected distance?

…. Or does it matter at all and the watch and LRF take care of all that for you?

On the Leica you can tell it to report the true distance or the angle corrected distance… and I’m trying to figure out whether those settings have any impact on the Garman?

I have a question that I’m not sure has been covered.

When pairing the 7 Pro to a laser rangefinder w/ AB, do you configure the laser rangefinder to report, true distance, or angle corrected distance?

…. Or does it matter at all and the watch and LRF take care of all that for you?

On the Leica you can tell it to report the true distance or the angle corrected distance… and I’m trying to figure out whether those settings have any impact on the Garman?
I’ve always just used the angle corrected because I’m more concerned about the drop than the wind. It takes something like 25 degree angle to move it 100 feet at 1k yards. So at 500 it’s half that. i just use the same windsge correction for the drop and it’s usually close and easy enough for a followup shot. I also live in Florida now so angles aren’t even an issue 😂😂😂

Reactions: Edgecrusher
I just pulled the trigger on one of these when Amazon dropped the price on the Ballistics Edition to $1400. (still the price as of hitting send on this.) I'm going to play with it and try to answer the questions I had on here that never really got answered. I may and may not keep it. If I need an AB Kestrel or LRF to talk to this it's getting sent back. Requiring a $400 license on sensors that are simply transmitting simple data would be an unacceptable business practice that I'm not wiling to support.

I think he is asking whether the device generating the data needs to have applied ballistics in it to be able to Bluetooth over to the watch.
Here are the only compatible LRF's with the Garmin.
  • Bushnell Nitro 1800
  • Leica Geovid Pro 32
  • Safran Vectronix Terrapin X
  • Sig Sauer KILO 2400 BDX
  • Sig Sauer KILO 3000 BDX
  • Sig Sauer KILO 5K BDX
  • SigSauer KILO 8K-ABS
  • Sig Sauer KILO 10K-ABS HD
  • Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB

Reactions: Hksigfn
Here are the only compatible LRF's with the Garmin.
  • Bushnell Nitro 1800
  • Leica Geovid Pro 32
  • Safran Vectronix Terrapin X
  • Sig Sauer KILO 2400 BDX
  • Sig Sauer KILO 3000 BDX
  • Sig Sauer KILO 5K BDX
  • SigSauer KILO 8K-ABS
  • Sig Sauer KILO 10K-ABS HD
  • Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB
Wut?

My Simmons Hole-In-None™ Lucky Charms® 🍀Pot-O-Gold℠🌈💰🍯 green plastic 400yd LRF isn’t on the list???

Sacrilege!

I think he is asking whether the device generating the data needs to have applied ballistics in it to be able to Bluetooth over to the watch.
That's exactly what I meant. Any weather meter or LRF with BT should be compatible. It's my understanding that BT isn't enough, particularly if the sensor has an AB option available. E.g., Kestrel

I may be wrong and FWIW I hope I am.

Reactions: Hksigfn
Will the garmin take the direction of fire data from the Sig10k/8k units? I realize wind direction would still have to be entered manually.

Also, is there a better description of what pairing with a kestrel will offer? I use the garmin and the kestrel independently right now.

Will the garmin take the direction of fire data from the Sig10k/8k units? I realize wind direction would still have to be entered manually.

Also, is there a better description of what pairing with a kestrel will offer? I use the garmin and the kestrel independently right now.
I feel your pain. I have found that no sig LRF, including the 10k, transmits DoF. Here is a super hard to find chart from kestrel that shows (among other things) what LRF transmits to a kestrel.

https://kestrelballistics.com/compare-laser-range-finders

If you search under my username and “kestrel” you’ll find a bunch of info.

Reactions: Huckmeat
I have almost come to the conclusion that the ONLY benefit to me of the Garmin is the target cards/range card on my wrist.

That's exactly what I meant. Any weather meter or LRF with BT should be compatible. It's my understanding that BT isn't enough, particularly if the sensor has an AB option available. E.g., Kestrel

I may be wrong and FWIW I hope I am.

Bluetooth isn't enough, it needs to know the specific protocol used between the devices to transmit blocks of information; It does not have to have applied ballistics in it per se (like the vectronix terrapin).

The fancy steiner 1535nm rangefinder for example has bluetooth but won't talk to this watch right now.

Sig Kilo 3000, Sierra6BDX scope and the tactix 7 pro with applied ballistics. My watch kept rebooting every time I ranged over 800 yds. Anyone else have this problem? Happened like 5 times in a row

Bluetooth isn't enough, it needs to know the specific protocol used between the devices to transmit blocks of information; It does not have to have applied ballistics in it per se (like the vectronix terrapin).

The fancy steiner 1535nm rangefinder for example has bluetooth but won't talk to this watch right now.

I get that, but that's not okay. At this price point the Garmin should be able to convert the incoming data to basic html or similar code and the applied ballistics app should be able to upload the basic text and convert to it's protocol. Or Garmin can skip a step and convert it directly to the AB protocol. That assumes that the choke point isn't the transmitting device using a proprietary protocol or the AB claiming proprietary tech (upload in our protocol or not at all and our protocol will cost hundreds per device).

These companies are free to do what they want with their intellectual property. However, IMHO the market should demand better and withhold funds from the guilty party(s) until they get right. Before some internet warrior jumps on this, I'm not suggesting some woke boycott. I'm saying we, the consumer, have the right to say hey industry if you want my money then I want x, y, & z. When a company is being obstinate about providing Z without good reason, it's in our best interest to stop buying their products until they do.

I have no problem paying an AB premium on the single device where the computations are taking place. I have no problem for paying extra for the additional BT HW and the basic additonal firmware on needed sensors. However, I DO NOT NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS. I will not be milked for hundreds of dollars more for a no cost additional offering when I'm already paying premium prices.

Reactions: V-Ref
I get that, but that's not okay. At this price point the Garmin should be able to convert the incoming data to basic html or similar code and the applied ballistics app should be able to upload the basic text and convert to it's protocol. Or Garmin can skip a step and convert it directly to the AB protocol. That assumes that the choke point isn't the transmitting device using a proprietary protocol or the AB claiming proprietary tech (upload in our protocol or not at all and our protocol will cost hundreds per device).

These companies are free to do what they want with their intellectual property. However, IMHO the market should demand better and withhold funds from the guilty party(s) until they get right. Before some internet warrior jumps on this, I'm not suggesting some woke boycott. I'm saying we, the consumer, have the right to say hey industry if you want my money then I want x, y, & z. When a company is being obstinate about providing Z without good reason, it's in our best interest to stop buying their products until they do.

I have no problem paying an AB premium on the single device where the computations are taking place. I have no problem for paying extra for the additional BT HW and the basic additonal firmware on needed sensors. However, I DO NOT NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS. I will not be milked for hundreds of dollars more for a no cost additional offering when I'm already paying premium prices.

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think anyone is trying to be a terrorist and intentionally make things not work. Except for the folks at Kestrel. I had to reverse engineer their protocol to make apps that could talk to it. They can suck it.

It could be the garmin, or it could be the Steiner folks. There is a finite amount of development hours available, if I was bankrolling it, supporting the rangefinder that did the protocol different, and not many people own would be low on the list. Hopefully they will get it working. I suspect there will be more open standards and more devices will talk at some point.

Reactions: corym468

Your failing to understand that it’s not garmin nor kestrel. It’s applied ballistics. It’s their engine. They get to decide how it’s used and what it communicates with.