• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin tactix 7 Pro Ballistics

Garmin

Supporter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2021
Olathe, KS
www.garmin.com
This morning we announced the tactix® 7 series premium tactical GPS watches.

tactix 7 is the tactical multisport GPS smartwatch with traditional button controls and a touchscreen display. Featuring a rugged yet sophisticated design, tactix 7 has an always-on 1.4” display, custom front bezel design, black DLC-coated titanium bezel and black PVD-coated titanium rear cover. Mission-ready tactical features include a sapphire lens with dimmable white or green LED flashlight, night vision compatible display, preloaded tactical and aviation features, dual-position GPS formatting, Jumpmaster mode, projected waypoints, stealth mode and kill switch. Navigate the harshest environments with elite navigation featuring preloaded TopoActive and ski maps plus multi-band and multi-GNSS support. Pilots will appreciate new aviation features such as Direct-to and Nearest airports, METARs/TAFs and NEXRAD weather radar. The tactix 7 smartwatch also includes advanced training and performance tracking such as real-time stamina, comprehensive health and wellness monitoring, and everyday functionality with smart notifications, Garmin Pay™ contactless payments and more. The tactix 7 - Pro Edition and tactix 7 - Pro Ballistics Edition smartwatches add solar charging capabilities. The tactix 7 - Pro Ballistics Edition also includes an Applied Ballistics® calculator for shooting solutions and compatibility with the AB Synapse™ - Garmin app on your compatible smartphone.

So is my delta a brick now? Will any of the updated software features be available on the delta (like the pilot stuff)?

So is my delta a brick now? Will any of the updated software features be available on the delta (like the pilot stuff)?
Your Tactix Delta is the same great watch it was yesterday. While the aviation features of Tactix 7 will not be ported back to the Tactix Delta, any improvements for the AB ecosystem will be ported back to Delta.

Is the AB app able to be driven by the touchscreen instead of the physical buttons?
There are a few places within the AB app that still require button presses, but mostly they're in the setup process. The actual usage while shooting is touch enabled. For example, you can scroll through the Target Card and Range Card with touch. You can swipe between pages on the main screen with touch.

There are a few places within the AB app that still require button presses, but mostly they're in the setup process. The actual usage while shooting is touch enabled. For example, you can scroll through the Target Card and Range Card with touch. You can swipe between pages on the main screen with touch.
Out freaking standing!! Put my order in yesterday morning. Now what to do with my Tactix Delta.

Power Sapphire (touch screen). Is this as durable as the Delta Tactix with AB? If so, the light features and touchscreen will likely have me upgrading soon.
I've had my DT w/AB since August 2020. Take it off to charge only under normal daily use. It has been fantastic. About the only other time I take it off is when I'm welding. It's not that tough. LOL Sapphire took a couple slag dings.
Previous to DT w/AB I hadn't wore a watch for 20 years. The only thing I ever put on my wrist was a 2211 original SF light. Even though the Garmin 7 Pro may not offer what the 2211 does I think the light alone capability is fantastic!

On the Delta model there are "GPS expedition mode" and "max battery GPS mode". Does the model 7 have the same or something better?

What features can still be used when using those modes, on the new model compared to the Delta model?

Welp. Something for the Christmas list! Glad I didn't get the Delta a few months back! This will be a nice step from the Fenix 6

On the Delta model there are "GPS expedition mode" and "max battery GPS mode". Does the model 7 have the same or something better?

What features can still be used when using those modes, on the new model compared to the Delta model?
The Tactix 7 has the same available options plus some additional ones preset. It also has the ability to create your own modes.

Thanks. I ordered mine yesterday, hope to have it by the weekend.

It would be EXTREMELY useful if you guys could add in the ability to upload ranges into the target card from the ABSynapse application. The Kestrels have this function, and the ability to store multiple target cards and upload each one as necessary would make the watch even more functional.

Thanks for participating on this forum.

Thanks. I ordered mine yesterday, hope to have it by the weekend.

It would be EXTREMELY useful if you guys could add in the ability to upload ranges into the target card from the ABSynapse application. The Kestrels have this function, and the ability to store multiple target cards and upload each one as necessary would make the watch even more functional.

Thanks for participating on this forum.
I will second this! The target card takes so long to actually create that I never use it. That or at least make the range input so you can individually set the hundreds, tens, and ones position so they can be set a lot faster. It’s a PITA to sit and hold the button especially if your new target differs by hundreds of yards.

I will second this! The target card takes so long to actually create that I never use it. That or at least make the range input so you can individually set the hundreds, tens, and ones position so they can be set a lot faster. It’s a PITA to sit and hold the button especially if your new target differs by hundreds of yards.

I think the watch is really only optimized if you have a laser BT to it.

When I had one paired to a terrapin, it was very fast on single and multi target cards.

But if doing things manually, IMO, the kestrel or garmin 701 are better options.

Is there a LRF / Kestrel / Tactix combination that would give one AB elite capabilities and work nicely together without having to pay three times for the AB Elite upcharge ($150 for example on the Leica Pro 32, similar for a Kestral to Kestral Elite, and so on? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the software, just seems redundant to pay for it three times. If that makes sense.

Maybe Garmin and Kestral and one or more of the LRF companies could come up with some package deal where we're not spending $500 for buying AB elite for 3 pieces of kit that work together?

Reactions: chris DX
Is there a LRF / Kestrel / Tactix combination that would give one AB elite capabilities and work nicely together without having to pay three times for the AB Elite upcharge ($150 for example on the Leica Pro 32, similar for a Kestral to Kestral Elite, and so on?
You don't need to have Elite on your LRF in the above case. For example, an LRF with AB Ultralight will talk to the Tactix and the solution from the Tactix (AB Elite) will be sent back to the device with Ultralight.

Is there a LRF / Kestrel / Tactix combination that would give one AB elite capabilities and work nicely together without having to pay three times for the AB Elite upcharge ($150 for example on the Leica Pro 32, similar for a Kestral to Kestral Elite, and so on? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the software, just seems redundant to pay for it three times. If that makes sense.

Maybe Garmin and Kestral and one or more of the LRF companies could come up with some package deal where we're not spending $500 for buying AB elite for 3 pieces of kit that work together?

I'm pretty sure the Leica Pro won't BT properly to the garmin at this time. I wanted the Leicas but was told the Leicas and Steiners BT currently doesn't work with Garmin. And really no need for the kestrel; I still have one and use it for temperature and DA comparisons. I still have not figured out what temperature my ballistic solution is coming from (sig, watch, etc) but the solutions keep hitting targets at matches so I'm just going with it.

I bought the Sig10ks, despite the glass, and the BT integration with the tactix 7 is seamless and reliable. I also tried BT from the sig10k to the kestrel, and while it works, it is not nearly as effortless.

If leicas will with with the tactix the way the sigs do, I would upgrade again, but Sig and garmin really got the link figured out.

Leica Geovid Pro connected to my Tactix Delta and Tactix 7 without issue just like the Sig 10K did.

I'have tried to paired tactix 7 pro AB to a Kestrel 5500 BT link and it did not works. Is it possible or not ?

Thanks for answer and sorry for insisting, but when you write on Garmin internet site:

" APPLIED BALLISTICS ECOSYSTEM INTEGRATION​

Get environmental data readings from your compatible weather meter and ranges from your compatible range finder sent directly to the Applied Ballistics solver."

It is not very clear (for me). Which are the weather meters compatibles ?

Thanks for answer and sorry for insisting, but when you write on Garmin internet site:

" APPLIED BALLISTICS ECOSYSTEM INTEGRATION​

Get environmental data readings from your compatible weather meter and ranges from your compatible range finder sent directly to the Applied Ballistics solver."

It is not very clear (for me). Which are the weather meters compatibles ?
The ones with applied ballistics on board…….5700

It is on the list of compatibility
I didn't communicate well. Right now I have a laser where the pairing with the Kestrel sucks a dead donkey dick. Drops out all the time, times out on connecting, and generally not even the donkey is happy when its done.

The question I meant to ask was "does pairing the Terrapin X work a) quickly b) reliably and is generally smooth....or are you trying to bring the donkey back to life using questionable means?"

I didn't communicate well. Right now I have a laser where the pairing with the Kestrel sucks a dead donkey dick. Drops out all the time, times out on connecting, and generally not even the donkey is happy when its done.

The question I meant to ask was "does pairing the Terrapin X work a) quickly b) reliably and is generally smooth....or are you trying to bring the donkey back to life using questionable means?"

I know someone who uses the vectronix with a tactix and reports it works well, he uses it in matches.

I have paired my tactix and my kestrel with Sig10ks. Two entirely different experiences. For me, keeping the kestrel connected to anything requires waving rubber chickens.

The garmin bluetooth interface has worked very well with my rangefinder for me. I literally push the button and start ranging and my watch is connected for the first target automatically.

My Terrapin X connects and works great with my Tactix 7

T

I just ordered up one of the (Tactix Pro 7) and am getting excited to receive it! While there seems to be a bigillion different ones, is there any particular watch face you guys like the best? I realize it's entirely subjective, but one that's most "shooting" friendly/related...?

I found an app (widget?) called Ambient Pressure. It shows the station pressure directly rather than barometric pressure. It's the only way I've found to discover actual station pressure without navigating through the AB app to environment.

If there's a way to show station pressure on the watch face someone please post.

Do you really need "station pressure" as the Tactix also has the EXACT altitude of your position,... Isn't having the barometric pressure + the altitude give you the station pressure at your position?
I found an app (widget?) called Ambient Pressure. It shows the station pressure directly rather than barometric pressure. It's the only way I've found to discover actual station pressure without navigating through the AB app to environment.

If there's a way to show station pressure on the watch face someone please post.

Last edited:
Being able to quickly see it so it can be shared with others who don’t have a device to tell them is nice.

I just ordered up one of the (Tactix Pro 7) and am getting excited to receive it! While there seems to be a bigillion different ones, is there any particular watch face you guys like the best? I realize it's entirely subjective, but one that's most "shooting" friendly/related...?
Ive been using Digital For TactixD v2. Hoping that the one i had on the delta, Blend Basic, gets updated for Tactix 7 compatibility. I also run the Ambient Pressure app and the Pilot Altimeter app. the barometer in the watch is fairly accurate. Ive tested it against some of the most accurate ones i have access to for work in the watch is within .01 - .3 accuracy. for our purposes, 300 foot is more than accurate to get god solutions.

It’s probably an issue on Leica side. They aren’t in the AB ecosystem.
True. That said, the terrapin integration almost works. It sees the leica and tries connecting. The terrapin was made by leica out of 9/10 the same stuff so it’s probably a pretty simple change.

Is it possible to have AB on the Tactix 7 Pro display YARDS as opposed to METERS...? I can't seem to find that option anywhere.

Is it possible to have AB on the Tactix 7 Pro display YARDS as opposed to METERS...? I can't seem to find that option anywhere.
Yeah. I started another garmin 7 thread for support unofficially. The answer is in there. Post 14

Reactions: blurry6

The ones with applied ballistics on board…….5700
I received today my Kestrel 5700 Elite Ballistic with AB, and it is impossible to pair it with the Garmin Tactix 7pro AB. I don't understand as both are in the ecosystem AB. It seems that all communication of Garmin where all systems including AB ecosystems capable to dialog themselves with the Tactix7 AB is wrong.