• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Tactix Delta With Applied Ballistics

Secant

Minuteman
  • Aug 11, 2019
    Out West
    www.snipershide.com
    I didn't see a thread started about this yet. Kind of interesting 🤔

1594244247252.png

1594244274433.png

If I’m ever doing a halo jump onto a golf course after running to the gym using a gps for navigation and swimming a few laps in the pool while keeping track of my heart rate and menstrual cycle and need to calculate a firing solution on the 9th green...and then want to go surfing afterwards......well I found the answer.

The feature list is fucking impressive no doubt. But I already have a smart phone, a garmin rhino, and a kestrel. Can’t justify the rest for the price, I don’t even wear watches. If I was a watch guy, I’d be looking hard at this one. Or a suunto dive watch.

I would not suggest a Garmin Watch for primary calculator,

But the button pushes are really no different than a Kestrel, sure they are smaller buttons, but menu wise it's pretty similar

On the Podcast, Bryan talks about a learning curve under time and stress, you have to practice it, but he also says the Range Card Feature scrolls very easily and I know they are not hard to see, the resolutions actually very good.

But if you are looking at a Watch to serve as you primary device, you might have mental issues before the purchase. If I was shooting alone, just dicking around sure, default to the watch, but I also can memorize the information and I know what the drop is every 100 yards for most calibers,

Context, Practical Application, Intended Use, all things that come to mind when making choices.

But Garmin smartwatches are my favorite, I moved from Suunnto to Garmin and refuse to look back. We were even discussing fancy watches because someone I work with likes to wear their Rolex(s) on the line and I still stick with Smartwatches, beats my James Bond Edition Omega when it comes to work activities

I agree that this would not be my primary solver. I see this as a solar powered GPS watch with topo maps, land ownership, etc., etc., that also happens to have a solid solver on board.

I stopped wearing a watch several years ago, but I might be in for this one.

Holy crap, the price on that thing too. $900 for base model, $1100 for solar, $1400 if you want the AB package.
    When you compare it to a breitling, rolex, seiko, etc. its reasonable, plus its a smart watch with all the cool features and apps. I got my wife a smart watch a few months ago so she would stop asking me to find her phone (it pings it for her), now she asks me to find the watch. 🙄

Reactions: Lfras and MBanning
    I've been real happy with the battery life on my 5x. If this is that good the solar makes it that much better. Had a Casio with solar face, wore out the watch band twice. Jumped to the smart watch Garmin.....love it for all that I want it to do.

Having paid the AB 'licence'for the same ballistics in number of my kestrels, phone have no lust to do it once more for the watch

Reactions: JB.IC
    Definitely an interesting watch, with some cool features. Unfortunately some of us aren't allowed to wear smart watches, so I stick with traditional time pieces for the work environment.

It is nice to see Garmin increase their offerings. Especially since they really have all the software/firmware updates nailed down solid with their Garmin Express app. Makes keeping them updated much easier IME.

I have a Garmin Instinct Tactical. It serves its purpose and I have no complaints.

ShopMyExchange if you Served in the Military, I saved $70 and paid no taxes

I picked this up while I was away, got to set it up last night

Had to go through 2 updates first so that takes a bit of time. This replaced my Bravo Tactix, and I really like the screen improvements.

Super easy to read,
    Garmin Connect App works well to manage watches
    A tick big for my wrist, but so is the Bravo
    Color Screen!
    Watch Faces and Software huge plus for Garmin

I am looking forward to setting up and working with AB on this as a back up

It is, but its easy to read, and does a ton,

My Bravo is the same size I got used to it quick and my wrists are small,

I like i can drive, just flip my arm up and read my alerts without having to fish for my phone

Can you post a pic with range card?

Would really like to see touch screen Garmins. My wife’s Phenix 6s is so hard to use with things like maps.
    Would also really like to see Garmins show DA

Because I have used the Garmins, having the Bravo Tactix and Instinct, the button pushes are no big deal,

Up / Down on the left, the middle is action/menu on hold, top right is set, bottom right is back...

Goes pretty quick because the buttons have a positive feel

When we bought my wife’s Fenix I was interested as well and think I remember seeing an app/ data field download for DA. Remember thinking it wasn’t worth it. Frank can you confirm this exists and if it works??

Of course, it can show yards and mils, one is not exclusive of the other, I said it was generic, default information in the image.

The Delta has a pressure meter, it's the only temp I believe Bryan said had to be manually inputted,

There are all kinds of weather features, mapping, GPS, etc so there is sports-based weather information available.

The Terrapin X will also speak to the Garmin, but I have not set that up yet, Garmin has a whole app store to include what they call widgets and apps.

If it actually had DA built it it would be worth it. Since you have to source your weather from somewhere else seems pretty pointless.

LL, Do you know if the watch will sync with their Tempe sensor? For those that don't know, that's how the Garmin 701 gets temp data...

If it actually had DA built it it would be worth it. Since you have to source your weather from somewhere else seems pretty pointless.

......except to anyone who works behind a rifle or spends a lot of time on their feet in the brush.

I believe it does,

Their site is not working on my end or they are under maintenance or something ...

But i am pretty sure it says exactly what it connects too, and I believe that was an option, I just cant confirm this second

But it has Baro, Altitude based sensors in the watch

Interesting. That means Garmin continues to be the the only ballistic computer vendor that supports both BT and ANT devices. Cool.

Hi guys
    Does anyone know if you Can use a the Leica Geovid 3200.com and connect to watch for range? And can you connect a kestrel? 🤔

Cannot currently connect kestrel.

And I believe that’s a negative on the leica as well.

Reactions: AlphaLR
    Has anyone's Kestrel ever been used to spy on end users or crippled by ransomware? My Garmin has.

Only if you upload data to Garmin's main frame...

If you're concerned about being spied on, I'd say you need to forego all technology, and break out a slide rule and some paper.

Only if you upload data to Garmin's main frame...

If you're concerned about being spied on, I'd say you need to forego all technology, and break out a slide rule and some paper.

That is patently ridiculous, one of the major selling points is the Garmin ecosystem...which is currently down because Garmin failed to prevent a ransomware attack. I've been using Garmin Fenix watches for quite a while now and you can't just simply divorce yourself from their service. The entire reason for replacing smart phones with Kestrels is reliability and stability, now you're reintroducing the shortcomings of a cell phone.

I was sort of on board with a watch based ballistic calculator but not after Garmin's latest issues. AB may be selling just the software but Garmin for sure isn't.

Do as you will, I have no issues with that. My 701 isn't a cell phone, and can double as a (albeit large and ungainly) watch, but it's first and foremost a ballistic calculator. If you want additional capabilities, you're going to pay a price; it can't all be run on wearable compute devices right now, so pick your poison. As with all things, caveat emptor. Do your research and understand the vulnerabilities...nothing is unhackable. If you believe otherwise, well then I've got some beach front property in Florida I want to sell you at low tide....

Lame,

The Garmin hack has had zero effect on me, no different than a CC processor being hacked, annoying yes, the potential for bad emails, not much else.

My Garmin app is not spying on me any more than I let it, and we know Apps are recording what we do, that is the first assumption. I can talk about Truly Gay Sodas in a bar and have a Truly ad on my phone the next minute, so spare me the bullshit.

Sure the Kestrel is a closed system, but that doesn't mean someone can't hack into the Kestrel App and cause a problem or the company proper.

This is top-level stuff, not end-user, the Hack Garmin received can happen here, kestrel, anywhere... they targeted the company for $10M, not the individual user.

What is being described is as if the Garmin hack is inserting ransomware on our stuff, NOT happening. So my inbox has extra spam this morning cause they scrapped some email addresses, block it, and move on.

Lame,

The Garmin hack has had zero effect on me, no different than a CC processor being hacked, annoying yes, the potential for bad emails, not much else.

My Garmin app is not spying on me any more than I let it, and we know Apps are recording what we do, that is the first assumption. I can talk about Truly Gay Sodas in a bar and have a Truly ad on my phone the next minute, so spare me the bullshit.

Sure the Kestrel is a closed system, but that doesn't mean someone can't hack into the Kestrel App and cause a problem or the company proper.

This is top-level stuff, not end-user, the Hack Garmin received can happen here, kestrel, anywhere... they targeted the company for $10M, not the individual user.

What is being described is as if the Garmin hack is inserting ransomware on our stuff, NOT happening. So my inbox has extra spam this morning cause they scrapped some email addresses, block it, and move on.

Appreciate all the info; was just about to replace my Fenix 3 with the 6X Pro Sapphire when I stumbled on this. One of the things I like about Garmin is the ability to customize; now if we can get LabRadar to create an app to interface with it, shazam!

Several impressions about Garmin Tactix Delta watch:

This is my first watch - after more than a decade being without one.
    I bought it for several reasons - The Applied Ballistics software is a major one.
    I really like the ability to make payments with the watch - I have completed my first one.
    There are awesome customisable watch faces - I believe I have picked the best one.
    Navigating through the menu and the AB software is easy - I was a surprised one.
    Buttons are tactile and clicking - I can not accidentally press one.
    Battery life is 2-3 weeks - depending on how I use one.

;)

Garmin TactixD with Ballistics vs. Kestrel 5700 Elite with Ballistics:

Side by side.
    Each is working with it's own sensors and environmental data.
    The watch is linked to an external Garmin Tempe sensor, because when wearing on the hand, it's internal thermal sensor is reading a higher temperature.
    The Gun/Ammo profiles are identical on both devices - two different gun/ammo profiles are pictured.
    Wind is set to zero.

IMG-5179.jpg

IMG-5181.jpg

As you can see, there is no reason to be dissatisfied...

Interesting. I have not noticed a significant difference in temperature whether I'm wearing the Tempe on my wrist or on my pack (out of the sun). On my wrist, I wear it on the inside of the wrist (again, to avoid direct sun light).

Interesting. I have not noticed a significant difference in temperature whether I'm wearing the Tempe on my wrist or on my pack (out of the sun). On my wrist, I wear it on the inside of the wrist (again, to avoid direct sun light).

I was referring to the temperature sensor that is built-in the watch, not the Tempe. The Tactix Delta has it's own internal temp sensor and it is affected by the heat from the skin on the wrist. That's why if you are wearing the watch on the hand, you should use the external Tempe sensor, which is somewhere else - to get accurate temp reading. Or, you can substract 5-6 degrees Centigrade from what the watch is measuring by itself.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    Copy. I use mine with a 701, so the Tempe is the only temp sensor available to me.