• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Xero C1 Pro chronograph

Don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread but the internal battery is not replaceable if and when it goes tango uniform. According to Jordan in a live chat the only option is to buy another unit.
Should be able to power it using an external usb battery pack in that case, just like the LabRadar.

This thing really flew under the radar (pun intended), almost seems like it makes the LabRadar look like a cold war relic. Prediction: in a few weeks the ranges around the country will be filled with little tan squares sitting next to rifles. Heck, they even got the color right, someone at Garmin has been paying attention 👍
Totally expect to see a few at tomorrows match.

Reactions: Glassaholic
On the case , I think s heels and harbor freight sell a medium size thin case that would fit nicely ( small briefcase design ?) for this unit , tripod , battery pack , mount ??)

“ ALSO “ everyone is comparing to labdar , has anyone compared to the FX unit side by side yet , please ?????

Don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread but the internal battery is not replaceable if and when it goes tango uniform. According to Jordan in a live chat the only option is to buy another unit.
Could be a non issue, but yeah CR123A should be the standard for devices large enough to take them. Non replaceable batteries is always a crap shoot.

I was going to say or 18650, but I thought better of it. So all of us that bought Garmin out of these things would like an 18650, but most everybody else won’t care. I just think the CR123A is a little more main stream.

But yes, 18650.

An internal battery is a non-issue. Look at how many devices are like that in our daily lives now, including a shit pile of other Garmin products.

Reactions: FuhQ and GUNNER75
An internal battery is a non-issue. Look at how many devices are like that in our daily lives now, including a shit pile of other Garmin products.
Until they are an issue. I’m just saying I’m never surprised when that 3-5 year old device I have goes gunny sack due to the battery.

The internal pack and future serviceability was one of my concerns much earlier in this thread.

So Garmin themselves is saying they can't service it? That seems crazy. In that case, probably best to store it in a cool area at about 50% charge and try not to charge it over 85% too often to maintain maximum lifespan of the battery, as it's very likey a lithium ion battery.

If it's a somewhat standard dimension lithium ion pouch cell inside the unit, maybe a user could replace it once out of warranty... Provided it's not totally glued together for weather resistance and you have to practically destroy it to take it apart.

The external battery pack of the labradar was yet another thing to carry to the range, but at least if it died you could buy another one. Hopefully the Garmin can run off an external power pack even if the internal battery goes totally dead down the road...

Give it to a friend, that's what I plan to do with mine.
This 👆, or at least sell it at a greatly reduced price.
There's a ton of new shooters out there that put a chrono last on the list of gear due to cost. Not everyone starting out can swing 600 bucks
in addition to all the other gear. Even if you sold it for 50% of new price, it would go a long way to helping a new shooter out.

The internal pack and future serviceability was one of my concerns much earlier in this thread.

So Garmin themselves is saying they can't service it? That seems crazy. In that case, probably best to store it in a cool area at about 50% charge and try not to charge it over 85% too often to maintain maximum lifespan of the battery, as it's very likey a lithium ion battery.

If it's a somewhat standard dimension lithium ion pouch cell inside the unit, maybe a user could replace it once out of warranty... Provided it's not totally glued together for weather resistance and you have to practically destroy it to take it apart.

The external battery pack of the labradar was yet another thing to carry to the range, but at least if it died you could buy another one. Hopefully the Garmin can run off an external power pack even if the internal battery goes totally dead down the road...
I personally have no issue with a non-serviceable, rechargeable battery. Garmin's non-aviation warranty is one-year. Considering I've had rechargeable devices for years and replaced them well before I hade a battery issue, it's just not at the top of my list.

The manual says you can recharge the device using the USB port, but I can't find anything stating the unit will run while plugged in for charging or from an external battery,

Reactions: Baron23

I've had one of their mini inreach's. I don't believe that battery is serviceable either. The Alpha I've had for years has replaceable battery packs. I've had those go "bad".

I personally have no issue with a non-serviceable, rechargeable battery. Garmin's non-aviation warranty is one-year. Considering I've had rechargeable devices for years and replaced them well before I hade a battery issue, it's just not at the top of my list.

The manual says you can recharge the device using the USB port, but I can't find anything stating the unit will run while plugged in for charging or from an external battery,

I agree that non serviceable batteries generally aren't an issue and usually don't fail in a spectacular fashion, but they certainly do lose capacity over time and eventually require replacement (the 4 year old cell phone I'm using right now falls into that category, lol)

I know non serviceable internal batteries allow manufacturers to package things more tightly and improve dust and weather ingress resistance by eliminating battery doors, but it sure sucks as a consumer that you can't easily replace a wear/consumable item like the battery pack. It sucks having to toss a perfectly functional several hundred dollar item because the manufacturer used a weird size proprietary internal pouch cell that you can't source to replace the dead one, or it was built in such a way you have to damn near destroy the housing to get to the battery. One of the problems with a market that has grown complacent with products made with a "designed for disposability" mindset rather than "designed for serviceability."

An internal battery is just one of the tradeoffs for having such a compact radar chronograph.

Just realized I could have had one of these today... as of this morning the bass pro 20 miles away has them in stock at the store. All the other bass pros within 250 miles are showing limited store stock as well.

Reactions: Glassaholic
As a heavy Garmin user between wearables, GPS trackers, and onboard computers, I would say the battery life is excellent (in my experience).

My advice is if you're really worried, those who have an American Express Platinum card, use that to purchase the chronograph. Should anything happen or the battery sucks in 1 or 2 years. Amex will replace or refund you the purchase price. Just a thought...

Ordered the Xero C1 today at a local Cabela's, to be picked up in person, for $540 out the door. 😬😬

Here you go:

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 10.15.47 AM.png

Has anyone run the Xero with the LR (or MS3) together to check accuracy yet? Apologies if someone already posted it.

Has anyone run the Xero with the LR (or MS3) together to check accuracy yet? Apologies if someone already posted it.
Michael Lilly has and he reported about 1 fps diff. X-ring on youtube tested it with the MS and his SD between the 2 chrono's was 0.2 or 0.3 fps.

UPS just dropped off some luv. Special thanks again to Richard @CSTactical for getting the Garmin to me so I can get it out to Quantico this weekend!

ETA - Seems to operate when being charged, not sure if that translates to to capturing shots. Will test when I get to the range.

IMG_7153-2998123.jpg

This is how the box looked, soaked from a broken case of Merlot!

IMG_7151__002_-2998132.jpg

Last edited:
UPS just dropped off some luv. Special thanks again to Richard @CSTactical for getting the Garmin to me so I can get it out to Quantico this weekend!

ETA - Seems to operate when being charged, not sure if that translates to to capturing shots. Will test when I get to the range.

IMG_7153-2998123.jpg

This is how the box looked, soaked from a broken case of Merlot!

IMG_7151__002_-2998132.jpg
What an awful waste of wine. 🍷

As far as cases go, there are a bunch of possible options you can find on eBay or similar:

Old CD case
Headphone case (like the kind Bose come in)
Laser rangefinder case (like the kind Sig uses)
GoPro cases (Amazon has a ton)

And I'm sure with how initial sales are going, if enough people contact Garmin, they might release a case of their own.

Someone will need to do a tear down to see both how hard it is to disassemble and what is inside. I tend to think a solution could be found as you say.

Reactions: southernpew
As far as cases go, there are a bunch of possible options you can find on eBay or similar:

Old CD case
Headphone case (like the kind Bose come in)
Laser rangefinder case (like the kind Sig uses)
GoPro cases (Amazon has a ton)

And I'm sure with how initial sales are going, if enough people contact Garmin, they might release a case of their own.
I found great use of a case that's been collecting dust for 15yrs.

Attachments

• 20231020_110310.jpg
    20231020_110310.jpg
    743.3 KB · Views: 164
I bought a LR about 6 months ago and I wasn’t terribly impressed on my first outing with it. I watched plenty of videos, had the external trigger, etc, but still would miss shots.

My Magneto V3 works great, but I’d much prefer a chrono not attached to the barrel, so this Garmin should be awesome. Snagged one from Bass Pro and definitely looking forward to it!

Houston, we have a problem...

My unit upgraded to software V3.11 and the screen is so dim to almost be unreadable; it was not that way prior. Yes, I switched between black and white, ensured the brightness was at 100%, factory reset, etc. Also spent 20 minutes on the line with Garmin, no luv. It will also be 6 weeks for an RMA since they haven't allocated any units for warranty. I'll take it out this weekend and try and test it anyways, but let's nope mine is the exception. To those so inclined, please skip the early adopter comments, stuff happens.

Screen at 100% brightness, trust me it's dimmer in real life, the picture is being nice. Place that 2-feet away and you can't read the screen.

IMG_7156-2998251.jpg

Houston, we have a problem...

My unit upgraded to software V3.11 and the screen is so dim to almost be unreadable; it was not that way prior. Yes, I switched between black and white, ensured the brightness was at 100%, factory reset, etc. Also spent 20 minutes on the line with Garmin, no luv. It will also be 6 weeks for an RMA since they haven't allocated any units for warranty. I'll take it out this weekend and try and test it anyways, but let's nope mine is the exception. To those so inclined, please skip the early adopter comments, stuff happens.

Screen at 100% brightness, trust me it's dimmer in real life, the picture is being nice. Place that 2-feet away and you can't read the screen.

IMG_7156-2998251.jpg

Am I correct to assume that by screen brightness you're talking about the backlight setting?

Reactions: Defender3
Thanks for the heads up.... do not update firmware yet!
Don't panic guys. I'm only stating what happened to me. There are plenty of units out there and I would assume with no issues as Garmin has had no reports similar. I would be very appreciative if someone could post their screen brightness out of the box to make sure I'm not the crazy one.

As to updates, I don't think you have an option, it's automatic when you connect to your phone through ShotView. Support also said that while they could send a file to get me back to the previous version, they really want to see the unit to properly diagnose the issue.

Lastly, I took the unit to the basement and fired some pellets, it worked perfectly and transferred the session to my phone.

Don't panic guys. I'm only stating what happened to me. There are plenty of units out there and I would assume with no issues as Garmin has had no reports similar. I would be very appreciative if someone could post their screen brightness out of the box to make sure I'm not the crazy one.

As to updates, I don't think you have an option, it's automatic when you connect to your phone through ShotView. Support also said that while they could send a file to get me back to the previous version, they really want to see the unit to properly diagnose the issue.

Lastly, I took the unit to the basement and fired some pellets, it worked perfectly and transferred the session to my phone.

So when you connected to your phone, it updated automatically or it showed a prompt that forced you to select OK or something else? I wonder if it auto-updates through the app, locally, or if the app downloads the new firmware through cell/wifi? My line of thinking is, if you put phone on airplane mode while using the app, will it still update?

So when you connected to your phone, it updated automatically or it showed a prompt that forced you to select OK or something else? I wonder if it auto-updates through the app, locally, or if the app downloads the new firmware through cell/wifi? My line of thinking is, if you put phone on airplane mode while using the app, will it still update?
I had pre-installed the ShotView app. During the setup, it asks if you want to pair with your phone, which I did. At the same time, I plugged the unit into a wall charger with the USB cable. I was not aware it was updating until I came back several minutes later and it informed me it had updated. There was no prompt asking.

I'm back in touch with Garmin, they've seen this thread, reached out and we're working MY issue. Take a deep breath....

I had pre-installed the ShotView app. During the setup, it asks if you want to pair with your phone, which I did. At the same time, I plugged the unit into a wall charger with the USB cable. I was not aware it was updating until I came back several minutes later and it informed me it had updated. There was no prompt asking.

I'm back in touch with Garmin, they've seen this thread, reached out and we're working MY issue. Take a deep breath....
So... we should get the pitchforks out and start panic buying LabRadars from the px... or no? 🤔

Fits perfectly in my 1040.

Fits perfectly in my 1040 micro.

IMG_7155-2998210.jpg
I still can’t believe how small this unit is, this may end up being my favorite piece of kit for 2023. The display looks amazing with the right information displayed 👍👍 I do wish LabRadar still sold that flat plate mount, maybe I’ll repurpose an old steel plate and drill a hole through center and put a 3/8-16 screw through it and mount a mini ball head to it, just something more solid for those windy days.

Reactions: AmmoFort and FuhQ
Same here. And that's after confirming with their CS that it was in stock and ready to ship when placing the order.

Fuckers indeed

Edited to add: placed an order with @CSTactical hopefully the wait won't be too bad
Just got a notice my order is canceled as well. I literally ordered it from them before anyone even posted they had it. Said in stock and got to the preparing for shipment step in the order status. Ridiculous. Literally almost every retailer had it in stock when I placed my order. Now for a backorder 😞

• Sad
Reactions: squirrel_slayer