• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Xero C1 Pro chronograph

I'm still trying to figure out what the 2nd threaded hole is for. Definitely not the CG point. This is the CG (pic stolen from my buddy Geno @ Carnival Ballistics who is going to drill and tap it).

1698250656482.png

Do you know if anyone from Garmin discussed internal design of the Xero being made to withstand recoil? Or it's more of a happy accident that it works?
I was wondering this myself. I am thinking because they designed it so small that mounting it on a rifle had to be part of the intention. Because let’s admit unless wanting to mount on a rifle this thing could actually afford to be a little bigger. I gotta think because it is so small rifle mounting had to be part of the intent.

Discount sounds good but If a website doesn't take credit cards I will not purchase anything for that site. Just to much risk as once you use the app and the money is sent its gone.

Reactions: moonstalanda
Has anyone formally confirmed that the Xero is ok to use on a rifle-mounted setup like the Area 419 plate?

Seems a bit risky to mount it on the rifle if the guts aren't designed specifically to handle rifle recoil, especially if moving up in calibers. I also wonder if it isn't explicitly stated as being ok to mount it on the rifle, if Garmin will honor warranty work if the internals get shaken apart.
Yeah after my experience with the MS and mounting the control box on the rifle, I'm not really interested in mounting the Xero to my rifle. I'd rather just set it up somewhere behind me. I can see where certain applications it would be easier to mount it but it seems like it works well enough to just set it up somewhere behind where you are shooting and it will pick it up so, I'm gonna stick with that unless I really can't. When that need arises I can put it on one of the rails I have and Clamp it on pretty easy I think

I'm still trying to figure out what the 2nd threaded hole is for. Definitely not the CG point. This is the CG (pic stolen from my buddy Geno @ Carnival Ballistics who is going to drill and tap it).

. View attachment 8257091
This is actually being added to mounts that are coming off machines now. We ran the first big batch, then decided based on some feedback to make this one small change.

• Love
Reactions: AznTactical
I'd be fairly surprised if Garmin let 419 be an early adopter/tester, and let them lead the charge with a weapon mount......if they had any doubts it wouldn't start turning them into bricks.

Reactions: flyer1a
Do you know if anyone from Garmin discussed internal design of the Xero being made to withstand recoil? Or it's more of a happy accident that it works?

I'm more curious than anything, since obviously the Magnetospeed is designed specifically to run mounted on the barrel, and I think we all know a Lab Radar wouldn't withstand recoil even if the behemoth could be mounted on the rifle hahaha.
Just fyi- concerning a MS unit- I had some conversations with the owner about the viability and production methods used to secure it, specifically to withstand the recoil, ect. They definitely took precautions and also limited their own design and methods to be able to secure things so that it could withstand recoil. I would think that with a unit this small and knowing this market, Garmin would have had the same thoughts and concerns about it and thus, secured things (likely epoxy and one reason the battery is permanently fixed too), so that it can withstand recoil, just given how much thought the MS guys put into that.

All that said, at some point, the heavy recoil that some rifles will have would almost certainly take a toll on the thing. How long? Well you know plenty about manufacturing and all that stuff so, you know the answer to that one.

I feel like Andiscan and the chronos well over the $600 mark are the most screwed. Nobody in their right mind will buy a used one unless its sub $450. So with LR you take a small loss but the others are much more substantial.

Lot of weapon mounted options in this thread.

Does anyone know of a clamp that I could put on a PVA tripod leg and use the spotter tripod?

Or do need to get this on the market like yesterday?

Like one of these?

I was thinking something like this:

You could even use the claw to clamp it to your barrel in case you miss your Magnetospeed.

Lot of weapon mounted options in this thread.

Does anyone know of a clamp that I could put on a PVA tripod leg and use the spotter tripod?

Or do need to get this on the market like yesterday?

There's countless things like clamps that fit on tripod legs that will either have 1/4 threads or arms, or any number of a plethora of things you can do to attach the chrono.

How close to the line of fire does the garmin need to be in order to pick up shots.

If I have the tripod setup behind me I’m sure it would work, but what about off to the side? A tripod takes up a lot of real estate so it wouldn’t be real close.

This is actually being added to mounts that are coming off machines now. We ran the first big batch, then decided based on some feedback to make this one small change.

This what you're doing on the new mounts? I drilled/tapped it.

Attachments

• 419.jpeg
    419.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 147
How close to the line of fire does the garmin need to be in order to pick up shots.

If I have the tripod setup behind me I’m sure it would work, but what about off to the side? A tripod takes up a lot of real estate so it wouldn’t be real close.

From the videos I have seen on YT, it doesn't seem like it has to be super close to your rifle. I watched a guy standing behind someone shooting and moving it around and it was still picking up the shots. Now that being said, sure there is a maximum it can be away before it will no longer read.

I feel like Andiscan and the chronos well over the $600 mark are the most screwed. Nobody in their right mind will buy a used one unless its sub $450. So with LR you take a small loss but the others are much more substantial.
I bought an Andiscan a few months ago. It was one of the first Gen II updated models. I'm not dumb but I just could not get the damn thing to pick up MY shots. It would trigger off every OTHER rifle on the range but not mine.
I sold it pretty easily and got within $100 of what I paid. One of those times I dodged a big ole' bullet!
But I did turn right around and buy a new Lab. Okay though, I guess one can never have too many chronographs? (I have four including an ancient skyscreen model and the new Garmin)

Lol remember when the BulletSeeker and Andiscan were supposed to be LabRadar killers? Look how’s that’s turned out…

We’ve seen enough new product releases at this point to know how this goes. Soft release, all hype, actual release to general public, market stabilization.

I like Garmin stuff. My Tactix 7 Pro AB has quickly become one of my favorite everyday carry tools. BUT I’ve seen this movie enough times to not trust the initial shock response. Looks great on paper, but I think we need to wait and see on the execution or at least until additional details become available.
Would you say it’s a lab killer now? I saw one go for $250.

Yes, yes I did! Hole can be used for the Garmin tripod, though. Plate was showing where the hole is.

@flyer1a , if the updated brackets are like this it would be nice if the recessed area began above the newly drilled hole in my pic. That would give the Garmin tripod a solid connection to the bracket without the recess. The way it is now there's only a couple threads of engagement.

Attachments

• 4191.jpg
    4191.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 4192.jpg
    4192.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
China is quick!
Those are just camera accessory rails that existed before. Go back a couple of pages and a few of us got some Amazon stuff that works. Same same.
Edited to add they are marking up the rail as well. Some of us paid only $20.

Reactions: Afkirby
Whale Tales Archery showed in stock, but sold more than they had and their system didn’t update quick enough, so they are refunding buyers.

Cabelas showed in stock and able to order 2pm yesterday, so I chanced it figuring they’d cancel, but it arrived 25 hours later. Way to go Cabelas!

If anyone is still looking for one I was able to snag one on Bass Pro shops. It showed out of stock but I kept checking several times a day and it showed in stock. I ordered yesterday and got tracking number today.

Reactions: ed308
I also saw where some more were available at Bass Pro and Cabelas yesterday morning. But since I ordered one from Garmin last week, I didn’t place annother order. But changed my mind last night and ordered from Bass Pro. Got the tracking number today. So they must have found more units in their warehouse.

Lol! I'm kind of in the same boat as him. Ordered from garmin ,initially said 3-4 days, now it's a month out. Might pick one up somewhere else if it presents itself

Anyone have the original screen film that was on the unit? Would be great if you could scan it and upload. I wanted to use it as a template to cut some screen protector material, but forgot too LOL

Without seeing the bottom, probably. It's a 1/4-20 dead center on bottom.
Would you happen to have a picture of that particular feature? If a guy were to place an order today, would that rail have it?

Would you say it’s a lab killer now? I saw one go for $250.

It reset the secondary market, sure, but realistically all it did was lower barriers to entry on Doppler based systems.

If LR refuses to innovate or drop their prices line with the alternatives then it will slowly die out because no one will be buying new units, but until then they will still be very relevant.

Once the panic selling dissipates I would bet demand for used LRs will actually go back up quite a bit in response to those guys not wanting to spend $600 on a chrono.

Reactions: kindabitey
Anyone have the original screen film that was on the unit? Would be great if you could scan it and upload. I wanted to use it as a template to cut some screen protector material, but forgot too LOL

If you have a flatbed scanner set the Garmin screen down on it and scan it... instant template.

Or try to get straight over the unit and take a picture, then adjust X and Y scaling as needed and print a template.

Or if you're feeling steady of hand just stick the bulk screen protector film on the unit itself and carefully trim around the edge with a razor blade.

I plan on cutting a screen protector for mine, and if I make a template I'll post it.

Magnetospeed's retail is around $450 and the reliability is very good. Labradar is $600 or more and far less reliable, but the trade off was not barrel mounted/impacts POI so people lived with the reliability issues.

Both are going to have to be sub $400 to compete with something that is less than $200 more expensive than magneto that has all of the pros of both and non of the cons. And unless they were getting a ridiculous margin.....they are going to have to figure out a way to cut their supply costs.

The Garmin is seriously bad news for those two products as they are currently configured.

Just tested mine out today for the first time. Truly pouring rain with visibility so bad I could hardly see the 300 yard gong. Worked perfectly! Next trip with better conditions will compare to MS, but very impressed so far.