• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes GDI CMC-OSM (Optical Sight Mount)

Andrew Blubaugh

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2003
Ohio
Over the past decade I have wasted my money, time and time again on worthless optics mounts. ARMS, GG&G, BOBRO along with the worthless thumb screw mounts that come on ACOG and EOTech plague the shooting community with mounts that fail to perform. Half the problem is the so called “Mil Spec” rail we mount our optics to. Even though the rail is suppose to be a specific size there is often a small variance allowed when these rails are manufactured. Then you have rails that wear down after repeated use of the rail that can wear enough of the surface down to change the size of the rail. The other half of the problem is the mount does not address the varying size of the rail. In my experience Larue Tactical, American Defense Mfg and Global Defense Initiatives (GDI) are the only companies that have addressed this issue. Though American Defense missed the mark with some substandard parts, namely the springs and allowing a drastic forward and aft movement of their mounts. This leaves shooters with Larue and GDI. GDI is a fairly new company having been around since 2002. Then there is Larue. Anyone who carries a long gun as part of their job or those who are serious about shooting know Larue Tactical. Larue Tactical has been a mounting solution staple for years though I truly think GDI is bringing some serious competition to the market.

GDI’s CMC-OSM (Optical Sight Mount) is a mounting solution for the Aimpoint Comp M2 (CCO) & M3. Prior to using this mount I would only trust the Larue Tactical M68/CCO mount. GDI offers three mount options for the M2/M3, Standard Co-witness, lower 1/3 Co-witness and lower 1/3 Co-witness RASII compatible. Mine is the CMC5-OSM which is the standard co-witness. According to GDI’s web site, http://www.gdiengineering.com/store/products/cmc-osm-optical-sight-mount.html , the mount is CNC machined aerospace grade aluminum with a MilSpec type III hardcoat anodize and it retails for $245.
The mount comes in this cool pouch with loctite 242, torx key, spare torx screw and laminated instructions that are dummy corded to the pouch. It is obvious the packaging has grunts in mind with the handy pouch that can store all sorts of easy to lose items and the spare torx screw gave me a sense of relief because I always manage to drop and lose these screw when mounting optics. The instructions are easy to follow and being on a laminated card will last for years.

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

I have been running the mount for about two months with at least a dozen live fire ranges, three training exercises and two operations. Day to day it functions just as I knew it would. It retains zero despite being bumped around and abused, I really don’t see continuous live fire as a concern, though time will tell. The first thing I noticed when I started using this optic was how easy it is to mount the optic. The ring is a typical scope ring and is a no brainer to mount. One thing I don’t like about the Larue Tactical CCO mount is the ring clamps side to side rather than top to bottom. It isn’t a huge deal but when you end up mounting a couple dozen optics you begin wondering why the Larue is a side to side clamping ring vs the traditional scope ring.
IMG_2036.jpg

GDI seems to put more effort into how the mount clamps onto the rail. The Auto Locking Quick Detach (ALQD) Lever sits on the ejection port side (right side) of the weapon. I think this benefits the right handed shooter in keeping the locking lever away from all the gear strapped to the front of your body. The lever is also auto locking so if it does snag on something the lever isn’t moving. The lock clamp or portion of the clamp that is tightened to the rail is 7/8 “ by my measurement compared to Larue Tactical CCO mount that is somewhere between 7/16” and ½” though it is hard to tell where the Larue actually starts biting/clamping the rail.

Mounts unlocked. Larue on the left, GDI on the right
IMG_2038.jpg

The genius of the GDI mount is its ability to easily adjust to any Mil Spec M1913 rail with only a flat head screwdriver. To adjust the tension simply open the ALQD, incrementally adjust 1/16 -1/8 turn until effective resistance is met when closing and locking the ALQD lever. I find this a valuable attribute whether I am loaning the optic to a student or team mate who needed to borrow an optic on a training day, switching an optic from one weapon to another or showing a student how to set up their optic. To me this method is easier than dealing with the nut on the Larue lever. With the nut you need a tool that is not always common on the range or in the field and those who chose to try to adjust with a multi-tool they tend to round the edges and have difficulty tightening them properly.

GDI adjustment screw
IMG_2027.jpg

Return to zero is a characteristic I think is vital to any weapon/optic relationship. For those who may not under stand the term, “return to zero” I am talking about removing the optic/mount as one unit, return it to the same location on the weapon rail and the weapon should maintain the original zero with out any adjustments. With out putting the weapon in a vise to take the human error out I found this difficult to accurately measure. A few years ago at Shot Show I got to read the testing report GDI had done on their RCOM-ACOG mount and it showed a .01MOA deviation. GDI’s web site states the same .01MOA deviation for return to zero. I attempted to test this on my own with a Remington 700 (223), RRA M4 and a RRA/Noveske SPR. Here is how I tested each weapon with the mount.
Thjis test was done with a GDI and Larue Tactical Mount
Remington 700 at 100 yards on 3inch dot
M4 at 50 yards on 1.5 inch dot
SPR at 75 yards on 3.5 inch dot
I fired (6) 5rd groups from the prone and off an Atlas bipod and TAB Gear rear bag getting off the rifle between each group. This was to show that the shooter, weapon, optic/mount and ammo were all tracking.
Then I fired (6) 5rd groups in the same manner but after getting off the rifle I would remove the optic and then remount prior to firing the next group. This was to identify any shift in zero. What I found was the Rem 700 test at 100 yards was too difficult and had more human error than equipment error. This was due to the difficulty acquiring a consistent sight picture at 100 yards on a 3 inch dot with a 2moa reticle. The M4 at 50 yards showed some error in the Larue mount with a few groups going approximately 3/8 inch high, I did not detect a change in the GDI mount. The SPR test at 75 yards seemed to be the best of both worlds for testing. I observed no change for the GDI but I did have a high shift for the Larue and then one group shifted high right. The shift on the Larue was approximately 3/4 inch. This was by no means a scientific test but it is hard to ignore the shift on the Larue and no shift on the GDI.

Larue groups with out taking optic off, second picture is the groups with the optic removed and returned to the weapon between groups. The odd ball fliers that are marked were from me not following through on the trigger and the weapon bump firing. The SPR trigger is way too light.
IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2015.jpg

GDI groups. First target the optic stayed on, second target pic the optic was removed and returned between groups. Again, the odd ball flier was me not following through.
IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

The GDI is more expensive but I prefer the GDI mount for the following reasons.
Lever placed on the right side of the weapon.
Locking lever is the most secure and positive on the market.
Return to zero ability.
Easily adjusts for worn out or out of spec rails.

As I proofread this I noticed it appears to be a Larue bashing review. In no way do I think Larue makes substandard products. They are leagues above GG&G, BOBRO and the standard mounts that typically come optics. I just see GDI as bringing some serious innovation to the market and pushing the bar that much higher. GDI being another great company staying with American Made and veteran owned.

I also picked up a T-1 mount and PROM (Precision Rifle Optic Mount) from GDI. I am still working with them and forming opinions. More to come on those mounts later.

Re: GDI CMC-OSM (Optical Sight Mount)

A few more photos...

GDI(right) and Larue(left) with the locking levers closed and the next photo they are open.
IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

GDI mounted up and looking at the clamping portion of the mount both left and right sides.
IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

Larue same views as above.
IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

Rear view of both optics, GDI (right) and Larue (left)
IMG_2040.jpg

Thanks for the write-up/review!
When I first starting sending support stuff over in 2005 one the very first groups - I believe it was 101st Airborne Assault - brought up this very exact issue with their goverment issued mounts and in particular when they needed to change from one set of optics to another (i.e. night vision). So, I sent them the mounts they requested, which were LaRue's at the time (GDI was doing other things) and I have to say of all the vendors I dealt with even knowing the products were the "next best thing" to meet an unmet government need, I was buying in bulk for guys "in theatre" sent directly to their APO's, but because I was a civilian giving my personal credit card they (LaRue) made me pay full civilian prices. With all the vendors I had dealt with over the years prior to and after this transaction, LaRue was the ONLY company not to offer me a military discount when buying stuff sent directly to troops.

I guess it was the best mount at the time for the purpose since those guys requested it by name, but clearly now GDI are offering a superior product (not to mention the courtesy of the pouch with the spare torque key, screw, loctite and laminated card) as well as a 20% military discount. I really was considering purchase of an OBR for personal use, but this has tainted my personal feelings to LaRue. Glad to see the market on steel targets open as well.

Nice to see the reliability of the return to within 0.01 MOA zero demonstrated as you did above!

I noticed on the GDI website their mounts have specific compatability with the Aimpoint and Trijicon optics (geared to current military/LEO needs)- unfortunately I am running Eotech Holosights on my personal Stag. Any idea why these mounts lack Eotech compatibility and is it easily overcome short of ordering a custom mount?

Thanks for the review... however "...Larue... leagues ahead of Bobro"... sorry that just can't be right. I find that one REALLY difficult to believe.

UKDslayer, I don't know this for a fact but I would be willing to bet the day will come when GDI will offer an EOTech mount. EOTech tends to be a optic that people either love or hate and they made it difficult for companies to make a mount specific for the EOTech. With EOTech you are left with their three options; Thumbscrew, ARMS and their QD lever. I can tell you from experience and the Thumbscrew and ARMS mounts should not be an option. I have had a few students with the QD lever and they tend to perform pretty well but I haven't run any of them through the paces. At $619 the EOTech with the QD lever is a tough pill to swallow.

HKDave, BOBRO struck out with me in my first 3 experiences with them. First time was my own purchase with their Precision Optic mount. I was baffled as to why they would put the screws for the ring caps on the bottom ring. This ended up making it a pain in the ass to mount. Being innovative is great but I get the feeling they changed something in order to be different or just to make their product look sleek. I also found the return to zero on this mount unacceptable for a “Precision Optic” mount. It was 1-1.5MOA off, I only tested it a few times but that was enough for me. The next two strikes had to do with students I had. One student came to class with a substandard carbine that continued to malfunction so I loaned him a SCAR16 to finish the class. He was using a BOBRO mount for his Aimpoint M2 and wanted to use it on the SCAR so we went to switch it over and rezero. We could not get the mount tight enough. It would mount but through a short string of fire we found it would loosen. Third strike was with another BOBRO/Aimpoint M2 and a student. I run a drill where the students test their return to zero by checking zero at 50 yards and then remove the optic/mount, put it back and fire another group. We do this on a 5 inch circle. This was this first time I ever had a student drop all 5 rounds outside of the 5 inch circle during the return to zero check. This student was a LEO and there was another officer from his agency with the exact same set up. His return to zero shift was minimal and stayed in the 5 inch circle. We checked the shift several times with more than one shooter on the gun/mount in question. There was no doubt that this mount had over a 3 inch shift at 50yards.

Wow, this is the first I've heard of these types of problems with the BOBRO. Thanks for the info.

On one AR, I have an ACOG on a Bobro, and a higher powered optic on a Bobro and I've switched back and forth at least a hundred times or more, and I've always maintained zero so I've been quite happy with them.

However I can see from your experiences why you'd feel the way you do.

I have a GDI P-rom mount and am very happy with it. If I could afford to, I'd switch everything over to GDI myself.

I have not tried GDI mounts so I can't comment on them. However, all of my Bobro's have been excellent.