Gear for 2-gun fun run

adb77

Private
Belligerents
Oct 5, 2014
Goshen, Ar
Okay, I’ve got a question a bit out of the norm. There is a competition I plan on trying, it consists of either 5 or 10k with carbine and pistol. All equipment and ammo in mags must be carried the entire course. What would be the best way to carry all the mags with ammo, holster for pistol etc. Round count is 250 for rifle 180 pistol. Let me know your thoughts. I run quite a bit so looking to move fairly fast over course.

Mods, if there is a better location for the thread let me know. Thanks in advance.

davsco

Private
Belligerents
Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
make sure you get an active retention holster, something with a hood on it to keep the gun from flying out, some will lock on the trigger guard. i use a blade tech wrs in 2 & 3 gun. though a few idiots shot themselves drawing, i also like the blackhawk serpa. if you just crank down the retention on a normal holster, it makes it real hard to draw when you do want to draw it.

sam4886

Double tap
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 15, 2019
Columbia basin
Plate carrier minus the armor would be my choice. The tighter to the body and less bounce the better. Carbine slung over the back at an angle and pistol on my chest if possible. Having all that shit on a belt would suck for 5k.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii

adb77

Private
Belligerents
Oct 5, 2014
Goshen, Ar
Plate carrier minus the armor would be my choice. The tighter to the body and less bounce the better. Carbine slung over the back at an angle and pistol on my chest if possible. Having all that shit on a belt would suck for 5k.
That’s my thoughts as well, I could see some major chafing going on with a heavy belt. From some of the pictures of the event it will require moving over some obstacles as well.

adb77

Private
Belligerents
Oct 5, 2014
Goshen, Ar
make sure you get an active retention holster, something with a hood on it to keep the gun from flying out, some will lock on the trigger guard. i use a blade tech wrs in 2 & 3 gun. though a few idiots shot themselves drawing, i also like the blackhawk serpa. if you just crank down the retention on a normal holster, it makes it real hard to draw when you do want to draw it.
That’s a great point don’t want a gun flying around. I’ve got a g-code holster that has strap type closure that holds the gun in place. I’ll put it on a belt and try running with it.

NHR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2018
Which event are you doing?

I've run around 12 of these since 2015 ranging from 5k to 15 miles. They frequently include some type of obstacles, man-made or natural, that will test your gear.

Highly recommend a Safariland ALS holster for your pistol. I would not trust an open top rig with the screws cranked down for climbing walls, crossing slack lines, and crossing deep water.

For summer events I also advise against chest rigs. You're running, right? They trap a ridiculous amount of heat and make it harder to breathe. I use a simple 2-piece belt with suspenders. I usually carry 3 AR mags and 3-4 pistol mags. For races with higher round counts I'll take a BFG ten-speed bandolier to carry more ammo. I can sling it around my back and chinch around my waist.

Do you normally run with weight? For that round count you'll be pushing 25-30 lbs. I highly recommend you try running with a weighted pack. In the sun. And add in some hills. And make sure it's a trail run. And stop every mile to do 50 squats and 40 lunges.

That'll give you a taste of what you're in for.

Reactions: canman and Rerun7

CodeMonkey

Director of Sith Recruitment, Midsouth Region
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2019
North Central Oklahoma
Anybody who's interested in this type of action should check out the Oklahoma Run 'n Gun in Pawnee (just up the road from me).

https://www.okrunngun.com/

I know several guys who do this one and they all have a great time. They run in January (rain, mud, and sometimes cold) and in July (hot, dry, and HOT). They've got some pictures up at their site, as well as round counts for all the stages, so you can get an idea of how they load out for it.

A buddy keeps trying to get me to do it with him, but I'm not as young as I used to be - to be fair there's a lot of guys in their 40's and 50's doing this one too. He swears it's made him a better shooter too.

Reactions: canman and adb77

PDXGS

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 31, 2009
Northwest Oregon
Thanks for the info.
Alas, none out west...... Yet!
We've did an informal/private, long range shooting run and gun several years ago in the Oregon coast range... In the fall. in the rain. It was a blast.
Rifle targets out to 700 and pistol/IPSC steel to 40 and closer.
An improvised biathlon sling worked pretty well, well enough that if I had to do it again I'd order a legit biathlon sling from a manufacturer. I used a G Code retention holster on a thigh rig for an M&P 9.
Mud and rifle contact with the body while running made things interestingly painful. Oh and Atlas spikes.... Gotta be careful with those!
It'd be nice to try this with a carbine. Perhaps a biathlon sling over a battle belt rig.

NHR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2018
The OK RNG was my first. Very fun match. Drove from the east coast on a whim to give it a shot. Nearly stroked out in the summer heat.

Anyone on the fence should just do it. Each match is a little bit different. Show up with what you've got and don't shoot yourself. Take it slow if you're out of shape and have a good time.

Reactions: canman and adb77

adb77

Private
Belligerents
Oct 5, 2014
Goshen, Ar
Thanks for all the info! This is what I was hoping to find! The event is the lead farm fun run in northern Missouri. I am going to do the event in winter due to having problems dealing with hot weather. (Old construction worker haha).

Rerun7

Furious George
Belligerents
Feb 18, 2017
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Which event are you doing?

I've run around 12 of these since 2015 ranging from 5k to 15 miles. They frequently include some type of obstacles, man-made or natural, that will test your gear.

Highly recommend a Safariland ALS holster for your pistol. I would not trust an open top rig with the screws cranked down for climbing walls, crossing slack lines, and crossing deep water.

For summer events I also advise against chest rigs. You're running, right? They trap a ridiculous amount of heat and make it harder to breathe. I use a simple 2-piece belt with suspenders. I usually carry 3 AR mags and 3-4 pistol mags. For races with higher round counts I'll take a BFG ten-speed bandolier to carry more ammo. I can sling it around my back and chinch around my waist.

Do you normally run with weight? For that round count you'll be pushing 25-30 lbs. I highly recommend you try running with a weighted pack. In the sun. And add in some hills. And make sure it's a trail run. And stop every mile to do 50 squats and 40 lunges.

That'll give you a taste of what you're in for.
this^^^^^

I’ve done several now and try to limit it to the belt but will use a lightweight chest rig if round counts are high.

Tons of fun and I highly encourage people to try it. I just ran the Waco Tactical Fitness Mountain Biathlon and I’ll be at the Pawnee, Ok event in July!

Reactions: canman

Rerun7

Furious George
Belligerents
Feb 18, 2017
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Anybody who's interested in this type of action should check out the Oklahoma Run 'n Gun in Pawnee (just up the road from me).

https://www.okrunngun.com/

I know several guys who do this one and they all have a great time. They run in January (rain, mud, and sometimes cold) and in July (hot, dry, and HOT). They've got some pictures up at their site, as well as round counts for all the stages, so you can get an idea of how they load out for it.

A buddy keeps trying to get me to do it with him, but I'm not as young as I used to be - to be fair there's a lot of guys in their 40's and 50's doing this one too. He swears it's made him a better shooter too.
Do it!! I’m in my 40’s now but I’m still giving those young whipper snappers a run for their money!

canman

Communists are bad people...
Belligerents
Nov 24, 2008
Mooresville,NC
I've been planning on doing one for a while now. Always seem to have something else planned. I've been training for the Bataan Memorial Death March in White Sands. This last one got cancelled so now with the next one in March I've got time to fit something else in and after all this rucking I'm probably in good enough shape.

NHR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2018
No doubt rucking gets you in better shape for these than pure running does.

A lot of good runners come in and think they can sprint their way to victory. They usually end up hurting pretty bad because they don't carry weight in training.

Similarly a lot of competitive shooters come in thinking they'll clean every stage but end up with a total dumpster fire because they don't ever shoot stages blind and are smoked mentally and physically after carrying their stuff for a few miles.

For me these types of races changed my idea of what it means to be "fit" and be a good shooter.

Reactions: adb77 and canman

Rerun7

Furious George
Belligerents
Feb 18, 2017
Fayetteville, Arkansas
I agree with that. It also shows you what gear works and what doesn’t in a more dynamic environment. If you’ve only ever shot on a static range it will change the way you treat your range trips and what you consider “essential” gear

Reactions: canman

skatz11

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2009
Lexington, KY
I did my first run and gun earlier this year, but for me it was more of a hike and shoot. As others have said a good active retention duty holster is a must. I really like the Safariland ALS. I used my 3gun belt and mag pouches, and a micro chest rig with a hydration carrier (2 liter bladder). I also bought a TAB biathlon sling specifically for the match and it was super comfortable.

I’m able to hike at my shooting club so I was able to test my setup to make sure it was comfortable. Make sure you test your setup so you don’t have any hot spots or issues.

The round count for your match is pretty high. I’d carry more than the minimum count no matter how confident you are in your shooting ability. Based on those numbers you may want to use a small backpack for extra ammo rather than loading up your belt and/or chest rig.

Reactions: NHR and canman