• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gear for 2-gun fun run

adb77

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2014
Goshen, Ar
Okay, I’ve got a question a bit out of the norm. There is a competition I plan on trying, it consists of either 5 or 10k with carbine and pistol. All equipment and ammo in mags must be carried the entire course. What would be the best way to carry all the mags with ammo, holster for pistol etc. Round count is 250 for rifle 180 pistol. Let me know your thoughts. I run quite a bit so looking to move fairly fast over course.

Mods, if there is a better location for the thread let me know. Thanks in advance.

make sure you get an active retention holster, something with a hood on it to keep the gun from flying out, some will lock on the trigger guard. i use a blade tech wrs in 2 & 3 gun. though a few idiots shot themselves drawing, i also like the blackhawk serpa. if you just crank down the retention on a normal holster, it makes it real hard to draw when you do want to draw it.

Plate carrier minus the armor would be my choice. The tighter to the body and less bounce the better. Carbine slung over the back at an angle and pistol on my chest if possible. Having all that shit on a belt would suck for 5k.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Plate carrier minus the armor would be my choice. The tighter to the body and less bounce the better. Carbine slung over the back at an angle and pistol on my chest if possible. Having all that shit on a belt would suck for 5k.
That’s my thoughts as well, I could see some major chafing going on with a heavy belt. From some of the pictures of the event it will require moving over some obstacles as well.

make sure you get an active retention holster, something with a hood on it to keep the gun from flying out, some will lock on the trigger guard. i use a blade tech wrs in 2 & 3 gun. though a few idiots shot themselves drawing, i also like the blackhawk serpa. if you just crank down the retention on a normal holster, it makes it real hard to draw when you do want to draw it.
That’s a great point don’t want a gun flying around. I’ve got a g-code holster that has strap type closure that holds the gun in place. I’ll put it on a belt and try running with it.

Which event are you doing?

I've run around 12 of these since 2015 ranging from 5k to 15 miles. They frequently include some type of obstacles, man-made or natural, that will test your gear.

Highly recommend a Safariland ALS holster for your pistol. I would not trust an open top rig with the screws cranked down for climbing walls, crossing slack lines, and crossing deep water.

For summer events I also advise against chest rigs. You're running, right? They trap a ridiculous amount of heat and make it harder to breathe. I use a simple 2-piece belt with suspenders. I usually carry 3 AR mags and 3-4 pistol mags. For races with higher round counts I'll take a BFG ten-speed bandolier to carry more ammo. I can sling it around my back and chinch around my waist.

Do you normally run with weight? For that round count you'll be pushing 25-30 lbs. I highly recommend you try running with a weighted pack. In the sun. And add in some hills. And make sure it's a trail run. And stop every mile to do 50 squats and 40 lunges.

That'll give you a taste of what you're in for.

Will you be at the Carolina RNG in June?

Anybody who's interested in this type of action should check out the Oklahoma Run 'n Gun in Pawnee (just up the road from me).

https://www.okrunngun.com/

I know several guys who do this one and they all have a great time. They run in January (rain, mud, and sometimes cold) and in July (hot, dry, and HOT). They've got some pictures up at their site, as well as round counts for all the stages, so you can get an idea of how they load out for it.

A buddy keeps trying to get me to do it with him, but I'm not as young as I used to be - to be fair there's a lot of guys in their 40's and 50's doing this one too. He swears it's made him a better shooter too.

Reactions: canman and adb77
Thanks for the info.
Alas, none out west...... Yet!
We've did an informal/private, long range shooting run and gun several years ago in the Oregon coast range... In the fall. in the rain. It was a blast.
Rifle targets out to 700 and pistol/IPSC steel to 40 and closer.
An improvised biathlon sling worked pretty well, well enough that if I had to do it again I'd order a legit biathlon sling from a manufacturer. I used a G Code retention holster on a thigh rig for an M&P 9.
Mud and rifle contact with the body while running made things interestingly painful. Oh and Atlas spikes.... Gotta be careful with those!
It'd be nice to try this with a carbine. Perhaps a biathlon sling over a battle belt rig.

The OK RNG was my first. Very fun match. Drove from the east coast on a whim to give it a shot. Nearly stroked out in the summer heat.

Anyone on the fence should just do it. Each match is a little bit different. Show up with what you've got and don't shoot yourself. Take it slow if you're out of shape and have a good time.

Thanks for all the info! This is what I was hoping to find! The event is the lead farm fun run in northern Missouri. I am going to do the event in winter due to having problems dealing with hot weather. (Old construction worker haha).

Which event are you doing?

I've run around 12 of these since 2015 ranging from 5k to 15 miles. They frequently include some type of obstacles, man-made or natural, that will test your gear.

Highly recommend a Safariland ALS holster for your pistol. I would not trust an open top rig with the screws cranked down for climbing walls, crossing slack lines, and crossing deep water.

For summer events I also advise against chest rigs. You're running, right? They trap a ridiculous amount of heat and make it harder to breathe. I use a simple 2-piece belt with suspenders. I usually carry 3 AR mags and 3-4 pistol mags. For races with higher round counts I'll take a BFG ten-speed bandolier to carry more ammo. I can sling it around my back and chinch around my waist.

Do you normally run with weight? For that round count you'll be pushing 25-30 lbs. I highly recommend you try running with a weighted pack. In the sun. And add in some hills. And make sure it's a trail run. And stop every mile to do 50 squats and 40 lunges.

That'll give you a taste of what you're in for.

this^^^^^

I’ve done several now and try to limit it to the belt but will use a lightweight chest rig if round counts are high.

Tons of fun and I highly encourage people to try it. I just ran the Waco Tactical Fitness Mountain Biathlon and I’ll be at the Pawnee, Ok event in July!

Anybody who's interested in this type of action should check out the Oklahoma Run 'n Gun in Pawnee (just up the road from me).

https://www.okrunngun.com/

I know several guys who do this one and they all have a great time. They run in January (rain, mud, and sometimes cold) and in July (hot, dry, and HOT). They've got some pictures up at their site, as well as round counts for all the stages, so you can get an idea of how they load out for it.

A buddy keeps trying to get me to do it with him, but I'm not as young as I used to be - to be fair there's a lot of guys in their 40's and 50's doing this one too. He swears it's made him a better shooter too.

Do it!! I’m in my 40’s now but I’m still giving those young whipper snappers a run for their money!

I've been planning on doing one for a while now. Always seem to have something else planned. I've been training for the Bataan Memorial Death March in White Sands. This last one got cancelled so now with the next one in March I've got time to fit something else in and after all this rucking I'm probably in good enough shape.

No doubt rucking gets you in better shape for these than pure running does.

A lot of good runners come in and think they can sprint their way to victory. They usually end up hurting pretty bad because they don't carry weight in training.

Similarly a lot of competitive shooters come in thinking they'll clean every stage but end up with a total dumpster fire because they don't ever shoot stages blind and are smoked mentally and physically after carrying their stuff for a few miles.

For me these types of races changed my idea of what it means to be "fit" and be a good shooter.

Reactions: adb77 and canman
I agree with that. It also shows you what gear works and what doesn’t in a more dynamic environment. If you’ve only ever shot on a static range it will change the way you treat your range trips and what you consider “essential” gear

Reactions: canman
I did my first run and gun earlier this year, but for me it was more of a hike and shoot. As others have said a good active retention duty holster is a must. I really like the Safariland ALS. I used my 3gun belt and mag pouches, and a micro chest rig with a hydration carrier (2 liter bladder). I also bought a TAB biathlon sling specifically for the match and it was super comfortable.

I’m able to hike at my shooting club so I was able to test my setup to make sure it was comfortable. Make sure you test your setup so you don’t have any hot spots or issues.

The round count for your match is pretty high. I’d carry more than the minimum count no matter how confident you are in your shooting ability. Based on those numbers you may want to use a small backpack for extra ammo rather than loading up your belt and/or chest rig.

Reactions: NHR and canman
Resurrecting the dead.

I'm planning on doing the Third Coast Tactical run and gun in Navasota TX June 3, 2023.
https://www.thirdcoasttactical.com/events

Currently planning to run my AR with a Steiner M8Xi and my Accu Shadow2 that will be riding in a Safariland GLS holster using a Viking Tactics Skirmish belt with mag pouches. I'll probably look at a water bottle pouch and a mag dump pouch also.

Plan is to run it in shorts and running shoes with a T-shirt and my kit. My time slot is later in the day when it will be HOT. S

Any suggestions for a first timer regarding this?

Enjoy it and don’t take yourself too seriously. You’ll probably mess something up along the way so just use it as a learning experience. I take new guys all the time and they always have a funny story afterwards about how they messed something up.

Here’s a few things to think about:

Take enough ammo to finish (it sux to dnf stages because you are out)

Take enough water to stay hydrated in the heat. I’ve seen a couple guys get picked up in an ambulance on 100°+ days.

You can’t miss fast enough to win so don’t try and rip through a stage and end up shooting 2x the round count.

And something to keep in mind if you think you’re good enough to be competitive. There will be people who run faster than you and there will be people who shoot faster than you. But if you finish in the top 5-6 in both those categories you’ll probably win because few people do both well.

Enjoy it and don’t take yourself too seriously. You’ll probably mess something up along the way so just use it as a learning experience. I take new guys all the time and they always have a funny story afterwards about how they messed something up.

Here’s a few things to think about:

Take enough ammo to finish (it sux to dnf stages because you are out)

Take enough water to stay hydrated in the heat. I’ve seen a couple guys get picked up in an ambulance on 100°+ days.

You can’t miss fast enough to win so don’t try and rip through a stage and end up shooting 2x the round count.

And something to keep in mind if you think you’re good enough to be competitive. There will be people who run faster than you and there will be people who shoot faster than you. But if you finish in the top 5-6 in both those categories you’ll probably win because few people do both well.
I wish we could sticky this advice somewhere. Well said man. Well said.

Reactions: Rerun7
The last run and gun I did had a stage where you had to do a burpee between each shot, on a gravel road. I’m glad I wasn’t wearing shorts…

Also, there was 1 stage where I really wish I had a bipod, but it would be in the way for the others. Going forward, I have a dump pouch on my gun belt where I can stash the quick detach bipod (thumb screw pic rail attach) when not in use.

Be honest with yourself about your shooting skills. Bring at least 2x the designated round count (3x?).

You can reload mags while moving from one stage to the next, but having all of your ammo already in mags simplifies what you need to do- even if it is a bit heavier than just carrying enough full mags for 1 stage.

You’re not going to make any money at the event, so have fun.

Last edited:
The last run and gun I did had a stage where you had to do a burpee between each shot, on a gravel road. I’m glad I wasn’t wearing shorts…

Also, there was 1 stage where I really wish I had a bipod, but it would be in the way for the others. Going forward, I have a dump pouch on my gun belt where I can stash the quick detach bipod (thumb screw pic rail attach) when not in use.

Be honest with yourself about your shooting skills. Bring at least 2x the designated round count (3x?).

You can reload mags while moving from one stage to the next, but having all of your ammo already in mags simplifies what you need to do- even if it is a bit heavier than just carrying enough full mags for 1 stage.

You’re not going to make any money at the event, so have fun.
They recommend 210 rifle and 100 pistol (and that is them giving some leeway apparently).I'm thin so I can only fit so much on my belt. Looks like I'll have to use my backpack. I'll see what it looks like when I get there.

I don't do so well in high heat anymore (especially since I lived in Alaska).

That’s a lot of ammo. They either have a high required round count or they are giving you a lot of cushion. In my last run I think I carried 90 rifle and 85 pistol.

I also ended with like 4 pistol rounds and less than 10 rifle so I was cutting it close!

That’s a lot of ammo. They either have a high required round count or they are giving you a lot of cushion. In my last run I think I carried 90 rifle and 85 pistol.

I also ended with like 4 pistol rounds and less than 10 rifle so I was cutting it close!
It's supposed to be 6 stages. Looking at some of the videos I am expecting to see a dummy drag or carry and some other craziness. We'll see. I'll have to do an after action report when I finish it.

Resurrecting the dead.

I'm planning on doing the Third Coast Tactical run and gun in Navasota TX June 3, 2023.
https://www.thirdcoasttactical.com/events

Currently planning to run my AR with a Steiner M8Xi and my Accu Shadow2 that will be riding in a Safariland GLS holster using a Viking Tactics Skirmish belt with mag pouches. I'll probably look at a water bottle pouch and a mag dump pouch also.

Plan is to run it in shorts and running shoes with a T-shirt and my kit. My time slot is later in the day when it will be HOT. S

Any suggestions for a first timer regarding this?
In my experience I run cooler with pants and long sleeves. I used to do the Pawnee OK run every year (10k and 20k depending on the year). Long exposure in the sun will smoke you. I got actual heat stroke one year(stopped sweating, lost consciousness, vomiting).

In a long race, with long wait times, you'll easily be on the course for 4+ hours. Depending on the location there may be no shade at all.

Ever since stroking out I switched to wearing a long sleeve Columbia hiking shirt (something ridge?) and OR Ferrosi pants. I also wear a Headsweats hat and will use a cape if I know I'll be in the sun for long periods.

Reactions: stefan73 and Bakwa
Anyone in or near the Midwest doing/done the Badger Trekker in Sullivan, WI?
A link above led me down a rabbit hole where I came across it, and it looks like it could be fun. I’m no Operator (and I’m also not in the physical shape I used to be in my 20’s) but I’ve been working hard to get back in shape the last two years (down to 215lbs from a high of 245, and my endurance is infinitely better these days) and it would be interesting to try out the 5K. Only ~1.5 hour from me.

My only hesitance is I can’t find any reviews or YouTube videos on it. Pretty sure I already own everything I would need to compete, between my duty/training gear and hunting gear, so I might register and see how bad I can hurt myself. 😂

Reactions: stefan73
A link above led me down a rabbit hole where I came across it, and it looks like it could be fun. I’m no Operator (and I’m also not in the physical shape I used to be in my 20’s) but I’ve been working hard to get back in shape the last two years (down to 215lbs from a high of 245, and my endurance is infinitely better these days) and it would be interesting to try out the 5K. Only ~1.5 hour from me.

My only hesitance is I can’t find any reviews or YouTube videos on it. Pretty sure I already own everything I would need to compete, between my duty/training gear and hunting gear, so I might register and see how bad I can hurt myself. 😂

Just do it and go have fun. Use this first run as a learning lesson.

Reactions: Anb618 and NHR
I took the plunge and signed up for the Third Coast Tactical, Run and Gun in Navasota TX (https://www.thirdcoasttactical.com/events). This was their first run and gun, it was also appropriate that it was my first Run and Gun. By the time I signed up the first time slot to start was at 1100 which was warm but not terrible when we started.
First thing, I was concerned about having the right gear. I quickly learned that I overthought it but when it came to execution I went pretty simple. I could have and should have shaved more weight but with unknown distance and stage setup/design I went for the "better to have and not need then need and not have". As a result I packed more then I needed. I didn't need 2 quarts of water, a quart would have probably been enough with how much I drank (I carried two quarts and probably only drank half a quart in 90F heat while doing a jog/run). Carry more ammo at the ready is a lesson I learned on stage four, I had the rest of my mags in my backpack which took too much time when I tried to get one (you only get 199 seconds per stage which isn't a lot of time with the stage designs, it is a challenge). I went minimal on a stage and it bit me in the rear when the pistol shooting went a little farther and I was feeling a little bit smoked (I stopped sweating at stage 3 even though I was drinking water). The real saving grace for the heat in this match was the bottlenecks at the stages, this allowed you to sit down in the shade, drink some water for a couple of minutes, load mags and/or move mags from your camelback or backpack to your pistol belt. The breaks were really helpful. The stages were nice, challenging and forced you to push your speed and accuracy with their "flex targets". The flex targets allowed you to use either pistol or rifle and if you hit in the kill box on the first shot and first shot only you were credited a kill. If you did not hit the flex target in the kill box on the first shot you were required to put four rounds into the target, so it either helped you to make up time or if you missed it hurt you time wise. I enjoyed those targets and rifle was the best way to engage since they were usually put on there when you were already going to have your rifle in hand.
An LPVO was really nice in this match.
I ran the match with shorts and one of my UA running shirts. I messaged the match director and he said shorts should be fine (this is not the case for all of these).

At this match the RO's were supper helpful! The RO's explained the stages and they helped you out on the stage. The RO's really helped and made it a really nice match. For a first timer this made it that much better!!

As I said the stages were made to be challenging and required a combination of speed and accuracy. I saw one stage that seemed to have a lot of DNF's because of time. I also saw some guys get some incredible times on that same stage. I did DNF one stage because I only put so much ammo on my pistol belt and get frustrated and went into the downhill cycle of not hitting the steal before my time expired. My point here is that DNF for a stage is not uncommon and apparently happens more often then not.

If I had to do it again I would have ran a one quart canteen on my pistol belt with all my ammo in mags on it. A microfiber towel helped to dry my hands when getting ready to shoot to dry my face and hands.

The participants at the match were really cool. You see everything from super fit guys and gals to really big guys. There was a lot of encouragement and a lot of people that helped out and were really helpful. It was almost like a club with some of these guys traveling all over to do these matches.

Honestly the hardest part about doing this was taking the first step to sign up!!!

If you are thinking about it, just do it! You'll be happy you did, and even if you don't shoot well(I did ok but not great), you will have a lot of lessons learned and things to practice for the next one. We are always learning and getting better and this is just another fun (and it was fun) tool in the kitbag. Go enjoy the comradery, test yourself and just have a good time!! This was 100% worth the 4 hour drive, the money, the blood sweat.

I'll post up my kit later if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
My gear that I used Viking Tactics belt, Safariland GLS holster for my Accu Shadow 2 a dump pouch, pistol and rifle mag holder, microfiber rag, stop watch (RO's recorded arrival times and departure time and execution times for you at this match). I also ran a aquamira bag that has a water bladder that you can presurize which was nice since you weren't trying to suck water, it was like having the garden hose on your back. I used a tab gear sling which was nice and allowed me to anchor in from the standing and get a nice solid position.
20230604_190517.jpg
20230603_144108.jpg

My gear that I used Viking Tactics belt, Safariland GLS holster for my Accu Shadow 2 a dump pouch, pistol and rifle mag holder, microfiber rag, stop watch (RO's recorded arrival times and departure time and execution times for you at this match). I also ran a aquamira bag that has a water bladder that you can presurize which was nice since you weren't trying to suck water, it was like having the garden hose on your back. I used a tab gear sling which was nice and allowed me to anchor in from the standing and get a nice solid position. View attachment 8155720View attachment 8155721
That is how I dress although I might be wearing crocs or roman-style sandals.

Reactions: Balor and stefan73
My gear that I used Viking Tactics belt, Safariland GLS holster for my Accu Shadow 2 a dump pouch, pistol and rifle mag holder, microfiber rag, stop watch (RO's recorded arrival times and departure time and execution times for you at this match). I also ran a aquamira bag that has a water bladder that you can presurize which was nice since you weren't trying to suck water, it was like having the garden hose on your back. I used a tab gear sling which was nice and allowed me to anchor in from the standing and get a nice solid position. View attachment 8155720View attachment 8155721
Great job.

Definitely keep your ammo on you. I only use a pack if I know I'll need extra water.

My setup for the last many races:
AWS LAB belt, ghetto rigged suspenders.

Pouches L to R:
BFG 10 speed double pistol pouch
BFG 10 speed rifle pouch
BFG 2x rifle pouch (usually 1x 55gr mag, 1x 77 gr mag)
USGI 3 mag pouch (use for extra ammo, dump pouch, or 16 oz water bottle)
USGI 3 mag pouch
BFG 2x rifle pouch (usually for extra pistol mags, or empties)
ALS holster on QLS fork
BFG boo boo pouch (For scorecard, multi tool, and stopwatch)

With this setup I can carry up to 6 AR mags, 6 pistol mags (21 or 24 rds), and a 16 oz bottle of water. If I need more than that I'll take a BFG 10 speed bandolier.

Attachments

• 20200913_164951.jpg
    20200913_164951.jpg
    945.2 KB · Views: 53
@stefan73 glad you got out and did it and had fun! You’ll keep learning new stuff every time and keep evolving your gear. Your setup looks a lot like mine when I started and I’ve continued to change it up until I found what works best for me.

I think the value of these types of events are often overlooked. For guys who aren’t in the military it’s a great opportunity to get off a square range and really find out what works for you in a more dynamic environment. Plus it gives you a reason to stay practiced and in decent shape.

@stefan73 glad you got out and did it and had fun! You’ll keep learning new stuff every time and keep evolving your gear. Your setup looks a lot like mine when I started and I’ve continued to change it up until I found what works best for me.

I think the value of these types of events are often overlooked. For guys who aren’t in the military it’s a great opportunity to get off a square range and really find out what works for you in a more dynamic environment. Plus it gives you a reason to stay practiced and in decent shape.
For me, having spent the better part of my life in the military it lets me try stuff other then what Uncle Sam hands me and says "make it work". I have enough injuries from my time in, I'm trying to avoid adding anymore, so good gear makes a difference.

Reactions: Rerun7

I'm already thinking about the next one.

B725E981-1F65-474B-B316-D70DC658939D.jpeg

These are how my son and I ran our first couple of run and guns. We subsequently decided that 5 rifle mags were too many, and replaced the rearmost belt rifle mag with a collapsible dump pouch. Not shown are 2L camelback carriers. Seven pistol mags is roughly 2x the required round count for the runs I have done. Four rifle mags is ~3x the required round count. I had 2 full rifle mags, 2 full pistol mags, and an empty camel back at the end of the last run. 5 mile X 5 stage events.

View attachment 8156509
These are how my son and I ran our first couple of run and guns. We subsequently decided that 5 rifle mags were too many, and replaced the rearmost belt rifle mag with a collapsible dump pouch. Not shown are 2L camelback carriers. Seven pistol mags is roughly 2x the required round count for the runs I have done. Four rifle mags is ~3x the required round count. I had 2 full rifle mags, 2 full pistol mags, and an empty camel back at the end of the last run. 5 mile X 5 stage events.
I could have and should have had more mags ready for each stage. I gamed it way to close/got a little too cocky and with it getting warmer and me getting a little more worn out screwed up a stage. Lesson learned.

Reactions: Bakwa
I learned a hard lesson in one match. Shot a stage and the timer took a shit. My options were let the RO guess my time or re-shoot. Re-shoot wasn't an option with another 4 blind stages ahead of me. He guessed, I moved on.

I typically carry an extra mag as a just in case option. Maybe a floor plate pops off, mag gets lost in a river, or stage malfunction.

Reactions: stefan73

Thinking about attending. Not sure if I can make it work from a scheduling standpoint.