• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gear help - Seeking a 'Rear' Facing Molle Vest

Jayman_10X

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2009
Central Minnesota
Looking for a molle-type belt carrier where I can clip magazines primarily on a rear-facing vest and sides, but not front. Think of it as a 'backwards' chest carrier. Use is for prairie dog hunting, where we do a fair amount of hiking and mostly shoot prone, hence the preference to not have a traditional chest carrying molle vest. Something like this, except the carriers mounting on one's back. Ideally the front would only have the straps.

thank you!
Capture.JPG

Honest question, why not use a backpack? It doesn’t sound like you’ll need to quickly access a mag if you’re ok with having them on your back.

Maybe have a spare mag on your support side in a belt mag carrier if you need a quick second mag.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
Back pack with molle on the back.

Or take the pack you show and divide the thin nylon straps and attach polymer QD plastic clips commonly used on thin straps, like the ones
shown on the this pack as well. The thin straps will now be on your front chest with the adjustable clips.
IMG_4278 copy.JPG

Last edited:
If you absolutely want a chest rig but want to prone out comfortably, get a split front chest rig and just undo the 2 front buckles when you go prone. Otherwise just put some mag pouches on a backpack.

Honest question, why not use a backpack? It doesn’t sound like you’ll need to quickly access a mag if you’re ok with having them on your back.

Maybe have a spare mag on your support side in a belt mag carrier if you need a quick second mag.
Hi PB, Looking for something with quicker access than a backpack. Preference is to reach back and grab a mag without detaching, shifting, unzip pocket, pull mag, get back into position, etc, etc.. Looking for a more fluid solution. And I want to mount at least 8-20 rd mags...

Last edited:
Back pack with molle on the back.

Or take the pack you show and divide the thin nylon straps and attach polymer QD plastic clips commonly used on thin straps, like the ones
shown on the this pack as well. The thin straps will now be on your front chest with the adjustable clips.
View attachment 7587278
Thanks Strike, appreciate it. I am pretty ignorant with molle in general, still learning. Looking like I'll go this route...

Would this work:

- - - used with - - -

- or -

Reactions: Jayman_10X
Walk into your local army surplus store and look for LCE's. Or buy a VTAC battle belt and put attachments on the back.

Hi PB, Looking for something with quicker access than a backpack. Preference is to reach back and grab a mag without detaching, shifting, unzip pocket, pull mag, get back into position, etc, etc.. Looking for a more fluid solution. And I want to mount at least 8-20 rd mags...

Hi,

So, you are wanting to literally reach around yourself and grab a magazine from its' pouch while it is on your back?
Why not just put mag pouches on your belt system? You can damn sure reach the entire belt area better than you can your back area.

Sincerely,
Theis

MOLLE "Battle belt" combined with something like the Mayflower H Harness (or most other H-harness) and pouches of your choice. Basically a jungle rig or modern LBE is what it seems like you want.
ultracomp-h-harness-multicam-2-accessories_298_800x.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

Hi,

So, you are wanting to literally reach around yourself and grab a magazine from its' pouch while it is on your back?
Why not just put mag pouches on your belt system? You can damn sure reach the entire belt area better than you can your back area.

Sincerely,
Theis
Agree on the belt, but can only fit so many mags on a belt. Will still wear one of course.

Designed for laying prone, or just get a belt like others suggested.

.....is there a reason you can't just get a regular chest rig and wear it backwards?....

Hi,

As if trying to reach 8 different mag placements on your back is "comfortable", lol.

Sincerely,
Theis
Different strokes for diff folks. He wants to lay prone a lot, to each their own.

Different strokes for diff folks. He wants to lay prone a lot, to each their own.

Hi,

Soo....take backpack off and place in a more expedient and functional position to get direct access to said 8 twenty round magazines.
You ever try to get something out of a backpack while still wearing it laying prone? Much less out of a magazine pouch, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
I find that the pockets in my smock are handy.
Laying down, they are all accessible.
Don't have to arse around with pouches.
Though I'm struggling to understand why you need pouches for ammo.
Pretty much in the Camelbak full of gear, and smock only routine for hunting.
Screenshot_20210324-021914_Gallery.jpg

Hi,

Soo....take backpack off and place in a more expedient and functional position to get direct access to said 8 twenty round magazines.
You ever try to get something out of a backpack while still wearing it laying prone? Much less out of a magazine pouch, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis
Of course I’ve tried it, I’m a level 7 navy seal samurai that’s trained by the blade. While you went to birthday parties, I did one handed pushdowns. I read sun tzu art of war while watching John wicke in the background. I wear magazine pouches to bed and in a blizzard I can access each pouch with so much efficiency it’s only rivaled by the tolerances of an ai.

• Haha
Reactions: THEIS
I find that the pockets in my smock are handy.
Laying down, they are all accessible.
Don't have to arse around with pouches.
Though I'm struggling to understand why you need pouches for ammo.
Pretty much in the Camelbak full of gear, and smock only routine for hunting.
View attachment 7588928
Why pouches? They are open and close for quick grab. We hunt in the summer when ambient temps are over 90 degrees, so we hunt with light clothing. Not interested hunting with a heavy (or dark) coat with pockets.