• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gear of the Year, What do you think ?

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Hey guys,

As many have read I am writing for Gun Digest, and my next topic is a "Gear of the Year" issue. So I have about 30 days to play and wanted to get your feedback

What is your vote for "Gear of the Year 2018,

Give me your Top 5 Examples of what you think changed 2018 for the better

Go !

1) The new ultra short scopes, zcomp, mark5, khales etc.

2) Revic with its digital integration

3) The cyke pod is new, right? Dont have one but the feature list sure is impressive enough to go along with the price tag.

All the tripod craze was last year. So were the auto tricklers. Labradar is old now. Ive been doing this for far less time than most but even the new stuff Im excited about isnt really new anymore.

4) The new affordable actions coming out! Tenacity, nucleous, origin, etc for under 1k

Any new powders? I think RL16 is a couple years old now. The new bullets such as rdf, eld etc are old now.

5) While I dont think its made a huge splash in 2018 so far, I think the shotmarker and silver mountain personal electronic targets will drive the down range results into the future.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    IMPROVED TRASOL APP!!!
    vectronix
    Zcomp
    Revic
    magpul chassis
    Gunwerx Climber carbon fiber stock
    PVA Jetblast muzzle brake

Quality custom actions under $1,000 and pre fit barrels that shoot. Some have been out a while. But this year seems like the first time a lot of feed back from the field was available.

Increase in usable reticles in scopes (I.e., Minox MR4, LRR-MIL, etc.)
    RRS tripods dedicated for shooting
    Impact action
    Flatline bullets
    JJ Rock JRR-375 Carbon rifle

Does it have to be from this year or can it be from all years?

What do I need to make hits out to range?

Bolt action rifle in ballisticly efficient caliber
    Good FFP scope
    bipod
    rear bag

Nice to have

Spotter
    Binocular
    Mat

Hi,

1. Flatline Projectiles. Reasoning: Monolithic projectiles have been around for decades and have been the go to projectile type for the super magnums since the beginning of the super magnums. But more people are realizing the benefits of monolithic projectiles in smaller calibers today than ever before and I think Josh and the Warners should get credit for that. You see people getting twist rates in smaller caliber barrels strictly so they can reap the benefits of the Flatlines. You see more and more technical articles about the benefits of super fast twist barrels which are designed purely for monolithic projectiles.

2. REVIC Optics. Reasoning: They are the first civilian affordable "smart" scope that actually has enough attributes and benefits that work for real world applications to make "smart" scopes a productive and reasonable conversation.

3. Voodoo Gunworks. Reasoning: Their rifles and 22 actions have probably brought more women and children into the precision rifle world than any other product in 10 years.

Have to put some thought into #4 and #5.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: LastShot300
    I think they do a year in Review,

So I would focus on the latest stuff since SHOT that released this year or at worst, stuff released last year that became available this year

1) RRS anvil 30 - the new head kicks ass for a ton of reasons

2) ckye pod is great as well, the adjustablility is way above the other options for bipods currently out

3) abel table - it goes everywhere and is incredibly useful

bt65-lw17.jpg

AI Competition trigger for sure

Most of the other stuff I was thinking about came available last year.

Reactions: Nodakplowboy
    If we are including software in gear, I'm going to say the Podbean app. It's not new this year but it does let me access Long Range Pursuit and Everyday Sniper podcast that are new this year. I've learned a lot from both those podcasts that have made me a better shooter, probably more than any single piece of gear.

Good point Cav. I definitely USE the podbean app more than any equipment I have.

I am a budget shooter. So to me all the new budget options. Actions, stocks and barrels are all huge. Also the accessories. Pig tripod and magpul bipod to name a few. I dont own all these things but they are more in my reach than other stuff.

Solid ass actions for a grand or under, and a legit premium prefit barrel that you don’t have to wait on a gunsmith to install. This is surely the dawning of a golden age.

Reactions: DrainTheSwamp2017
    1) RRS Tripods / Arca - first setup you can actually buy better precision over the old Manfrotos
    2) Full length 1.5" RRS (Arca style) rails.. Lets bipods move anywhere under the clock and even function like a barricade stop.
    3) RRS BTC-PRO or the Harris version - needed for #2
    4) Vudoo - well not much to say here it is a game changer
    5) Game Changer (even though it has been longer than a year)
    6) Leica 2700 Price/Beam size 1.2x.5mil (see the actual beam here), real ranging for the $799; Same size beam as the Terrapin; way smaller than the round 4.5moa Sig beams.
    7) Autotricker/AND combo - fastest near kernel reloading combo out there under the big P’s rental unit.
    8) NRL22 -- see #4 LOL
    9) Sniper Hide back with a way better interface!

Last edited:
    Reactions: lash and Stpilot12
    Wide range of carbon fiber tripods (affordable and top of the line)
    Charlie Tarac
    ARC Nucleus
    return of Vectronix to US market

The Nikon 4K rangefinder.

A friend and I have been ringing one out for a week or so now in very diverse conditions. We have both been very impressed with the performance.

How about those left hand gain twist barrels you talked about Frank?

Leica 2700 for me. Phillip said I was first guy with a civilian rangefinder to get the 1308 target.

And ballistic apps like the Hornady going to Doppler radar drag models vs ballistic coefficients.

I think most of these have been mentioned but:

1. The affordable actions from Defiance, Big Horn, and ARC are making a pretty big difference in getting into a rifle that might not have been attainable before for a lot of folks.

2. The new Kahles k318i, k525i (for perfecting perfection) and the new Revic and Steiner (for advancing the game).

3. The new .224 bullet offerings. This got everybody talking, got everyone really thinking about the possibilities, and made gas guns interesting again.

Reactions: lash
    Might think about it in categories.

1. Optics
    2. Firearms
    3. Shooting accessories for positions (bags, tripods, range cards)
    4. Electronics (not sure if Revic and Burris would belong in this or the optics category)
    5. Firearm accessories (triggers, stocks, rails, etc.)

This way each section could mention like 3 items, and point to one as the winner, while still exposing the others for an honorable mention of sorts...

JMTCW...

FWIW, my list would include:

Revic/Burris smart scopes
    TerrapinX
    Anvil 30
    Garmin 701
    KRG Bravo

I only have three

1. AI Competition Trigger - Long wait but it was worth it
    2. NF 7-35 WITH the MIL-C reticle.
    3. The Reasor Clutch system - Doesn't get a lot of hype but it is super versatile. The tapered one is amazing with the AR stock

There is so many... but I will list just one.

1. The Voodoo phenomenon... That is a driver on many fronts. It allows sound practice for centerfire and a reasonable price. It is driving new forms of competition, that is virtually similar to the PRS without the need of vast tracks of land. (And it is just as fun). I believe that they hit it out of the park.

'Budget" custom actions (Atlas, Nucleus, Origin, Tenacity)
    Semi-custom rifles <2500 (PVA, Kelblys, Bergara, etc)
    Atlas Cal
    Rifle oriented tripods & accessories
    Arca Rail & similar
    High end, budget scopes <$2000 (Tango 6, DMR Pro, XRS II)
    Pre-fit barrels
    Sig MR2200 & Sig 2400
    Top Tier Brass offerings (alpha, lapua, etc)

Here’s my list (and yeah, I bought too much stuff this year):

1.) RRS Anvil. As @Diver160651 says, there are few problems you can solve by just spending money. Now, tripod shooting is one of them.
    2.) User-installable barrels. The Criterion Howa system came out this year. Mine is pretty close to my Gucci TL3/Proof/XLR rifle, but weighs a lot more.
    3.) The sub-$1000 custom actions (caveat: this is the one thing on the list I don’t have, but I would have gotten an Origin instead of a TL3 if they’d been out).
    4.) The Nikon 4K is shockingly good for the price.
    5.) The Terrapin-X is shockingly good with a Kestrel. Period.
    6.) The Foretrex 701 with a Nikon 4K is a lot less expensive than a Kestrel Elite and a Terrapin-X. Even adding a less-expensive Kestrel comes in at a lower price. If you’re not on a tight clock, that’s a great setup.
    7.) Peterson Brass. It’s close to Lapua, less expensive, made in America, and comes in that neato box.
    8.) Saracen bag: a game-changer that works on tank traps.
    9.) Abel Table: get all that shit in one place!

It seems like a lot of people here are loving the $1500 scopes (Athlon, Burris, PA Platinum?). I’ve mostly skipped that tier, but I will say that the Viper Gen II at $1000 sits quite nicely amongst my AMGs and Razor Gen II. I don’t feel hindered with it compared to those (but they’re definitely better).

I agree that Josh and the Warners deserve some recognition. The 160s turn a 308 into a 6.5, the 198s turn a 300 NM into a 338 LM, and the 121s take a 6.5 to a mile. Maybe the justification could be that people started using solids more this year?

Great coverage above. Many stuff to learn about.

My thoughts:

(1) Flatlines - representing the move towards ultra high form factor bullets. There is no bigger impact on ELR than this advance.
    (2) Terrapin-X - very high end performance at a very attractive price point.
    (3) Saracen/Comanche bags - these are improvements on the Game Changer design
    (4) One of the sub-$1000 actions
    (5) Shelta boonie hats - not really a shooting only product, but if you are outdoors in sun these are the best piece of gear to have after your sunglasses.

1. Frank's Tactical High Heels
    2. Lifesize Larry blow up doll with pre recorded red neck insults.... Hint...
    3. Buddly
    4. The new Nike Combat pants complete with "pre worn knees"
    5. Velcro Sneakers (with Kiwi Polish)

Next year I'm hoping for the Sniper's Hide Swimsuit Calendar

:cool:

Last edited:
    1. Frank's Tactical High Heels
    2. Lifesize Larry blow up doll with pre recorded red neck insults.... Hint...
    3. Buddly
    4. The new Nike Combat pants complete with "pre worn knees"
    5. Velcro Sneakers (With a can of Kiwi polish)

Next year I'm hoping for the Sniper's hide Swimsuit Calendar

:cool:

Fixed it for you....

1. Terrapin X - Best (don't have one yet but it seems pretty agreed upon) civilian LRF by far since the Terrapin.
    2. AMP's new annealer (if it ever comes out)
    3. Area 419 Arca Lock (once people get some hands on time with it, I see this being a huge leap in Arca)
    4. RRS MK2 with Anvil 30
    5. Tactical Udder/Saracen Bag - Don't know the history/beef but the design flat out works

I sadly only own one of these products, but that's what I feel like are some of the most exciting new offerings out.

I only have three because I’m not one to jump on new stuff unless there is some good indicators it will live up to the hype right out of the gate, but I jumped on two new products instantly this year that I’d normally wait on and have been nothing but amazed by.

1. 224 Valkyrie. I’ve got two now (selling one since I don’t need two) and both have met or exceeded the marketing claims.

2. Leupold Mark 5. Also have two of these (atop both Valkyries coincidently) and they are excellent optics and Leupold has made a complete 180 with them.

3. AI competition trigger. It’s freakin tits and was long overdue but well worth the wait.

Charlie Tarac has to be on there. It has made elr practical in the field on real operations and it works. Not only that it’s robust and relatively cheap.

PVA John Hancock, it's just so much rifle for under $2k.

Trigger Tech Diamond

RRS / Aera 419 / Sawtooth / Henderson and others making Arca Swiss happen

Saracen Field Bag (Tactical Udder) Warhorse Development - This thing is awesome for build stable positions.

Last edited:
    AI Competition trigger
    Sub-$1000 actions such as Nucleus, Origin, and Tenacity
    Pre-fit barrels

Ckye-Pod
    Saracen/Camanche Bag
    I may be damned... but Athlon Midas Tac

Last edited: