• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GemPro 250 Digital Scale - Awesome!!

Rmitch223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Oklahoma City
Anyone looking for a quality digital scale this is where its at.

Even tho I am a fairly new handloader I absolutely love this scale. Never drifts, easy to use, and very accurate.

Accuracy is almost dead on with my RCBS 505 Beam scale.

This scale measures to the hundredths of a grain and has greatly improved the charge weight consistency of my loads greatly. Consistency has been noticeably reflected by my group sizes.

Some may say its over kill for reloading but I love knowing that my charge weights are dead on.

GemPro250_zpsf8e3d7b1.jpg

Re: GemPro 250 Digital Scale

Definitely not overkill. When you are running hot and fast, you need to know how much powder is there. It is way faster than a beam scale.

You need 2 things to go with it. The first is a Certified 20g Mass to replace the "20g" mass that came with the balance. It will help get the scale calibrated more accurately. The second is a Large piece of marble or granite. This will settle the vibrations and make the scale more consistent.

Where is the best place to get the certified 20g mass at?

How large of a piece of granite or marble?

I noticed it came with a rubber pad to dampen vibrations but I haven't used it yet.

I also noticed that if I loaded the pan with 40.02 on the digital scale it would be dead on with the beam scale. I figured the beam scale is the one off .02.

I found one 20g certified mass and it is $113.00. lol! Damn,that's pretty steep I thought.

Others can explain it better but it essentially gives the scale two data points to reference from. Once I accidentally banged the scale and it wouldn't read accurately. I rezeroed it with the 20 but it would be off when with essentially any weight other than 20g. I redid the calibration with linear method and now everything works perfect again.

Man, I posted a thread like this and got hammered by hide members. Glad you found a good cheap scale that works for ya. Hide members, thanks for not railing on the op

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rmitch223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How large of a piece of granite or marble?</div></div>

Just an inch or so larger than your scale base would be sufficient but you know the old addage...bigger is better, right?

Go ahead nay-sayers; http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/gempro-250-digital-scale-review/

Well, it should be noted that the battery life is very poor (a couple of hours at best). That is a weakness I haven't seen cited regularly in reviews. Range use is dicey if you don't bring lots of spares consequently.

I bought one a couple years ago and love it. Before I bought mine, a good friend of mine several states away went through some 243 bullets until he found one that weighed 100.00gr per his GemPro 250. He sent me the bullet to use as a check-weight on my balance beam scale. I eventually got sick of the balance beam and got the GemPro 250; first day I had it I used that bullet to see if they were consistent and sure enough my scale registers 100.00gr. In fact, I still use that bullet every time I turn the scale on to insure all is as it should be and it is consistently 100.00gr on my scale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely not overkill. When you are running hot and fast, you need to know how much powder is there. It is way faster than a beam scale.

You need 2 things to go with it. The first is a Certified 20g Mass to replace the "20g" mass that came with the balance. It will help get the scale calibrated more accurately. The second is a Large piece of marble or granite. This will settle the vibrations and make the scale more consistent. </div></div>

Correct my understanding if I'm off base on this. Certified check weights are used when you need to assure things weigh exactly xxx, as in buying/selling or laboratory use. When we are using them for reloading, as long as we aren't trying to duplicate something weighed on another scale, we shouldn't need certified check weights. As long as we can repeat the measurements to what we did when we worked up a load, it just needs to be "relative" to our measurement. As long as it's not way off and we think we using a starting load of XX grains and it's actually XX+3 grain or something. So if my load is 42 grains on my scale, it doesn't matter if it weighs 42.04 grains on your scale, as long as I can repeat my results and only use my scale. If we use the same weights to calibrate it doesn't matter if they are "cerftified".

Again, I could be off base so correct me if I'm wrong.

I am using a digital scale that i bought from Ebay and its enough for me to weight powder or any small measurement for which i need accuracy. I think almost all the companies now offering maximum accuracy to increase their sale volume

Last edited:
The problem with calibrating at 20 grams (~309 grains) is that you can only hope the scale is also dead on at 5.2 grains. The GemPro's Linear Calibration is an attempt to ensure all the weights from 0 to 20 grams are correct.

I've not done it on my GemPro; started it but saw it was going to take quite a while and said why bother when it guessed correctly at each one of my RCBS Check Weights . . . the only scale I have that did so. Don't recall any mention of a 50 gram weight being needed though.

Performs OUTSTANDING on batteries, but eats them like nothing I've every seen lol. My scale doesn't perform as well on it's AC adapter, YMMV.

The problem with calibrating at 20 grams (~309 grains) is that you can only hope the scale is also dead on at 5.2 grains. The GemPro's Linear Calibration is an attempt to ensure all the weights from 0 to 20 grams are correct.

I've not done it on my GemPro; started it but saw it was going to take quite a while and said why bother when it guessed correctly at each one of my RCBS Check Weights . . . the only scale I have that did so. Don't recall any mention of a 50 gram weight being needed though.

Performs OUTSTANDING on batteries, but eats them like nothing I've every seen lol. My scale doesn't perform as well on it's AC adapter, YMMV.
Can you please elaborate as to what it does differently when connected to the AC adapter?
Is this adapter supplied with the scale?
The reason I ask is that the adapter may not have the proper wattage(VA) required to maintain a stable voltage.

My GemPro 250 is outstanding. I bought a set of check weights for it, which is an assortment of 1, 5, and 20 grain weights. I check when I start it up and periodically during a reloading session. The two 20 gr check weights always measure either 40.02 or 40.04.

My only complaint, if you could call it one, is that it's not super fast/responsive to single kernel drops when trickling.

I never had any trouble with drifting, but a pair of these ferrite clamps helped a LOT with drift on my Hornady auto dispenser, so I put them on the GemPro also:

gempro250.jpg

On batteries, it is absolutely perfect - always returns to 0 and stays there and is quite certain about the weight it senses. I've put in new batteries, used it for an hour or two, shut the scale off, gone back the next day, and gotten a low battery warning and auto-shutdown.

On the adapter, it acts directionally the way less expensive digital scales may; may not return to 0, flutters, sensitive to movement of the power cord, etc.

The power adapter is supplied with the scale and is as pictured in an earlier post - minus the ferrite cores (for the time being). The adapter is rated 6VDC, 200ma, and my meter shows it delivers 6.01VDC with no load.

The 1st one I got was a lemon, luckly I purchased it on amazon and the 2nd one they sent me is amazing! Love this scale.

Accuracy is almost dead on with my RCBS 505 Beam scale.

This scale measures to the hundredths of a grain and has greatly improved the charge weight consistency of my loads greatly. Consistency has been noticeably reflected by my group sizes.

The GP-250 is accurate to .01 grains and the 5-0-5 is accurate to .1 grain. You're saying that it's almost dead on with the 5-0-5? Are you saying that the 5-0-5 is just as accurate?

Well, I guess I'll be, "the fly in the ointment". I'm on my 2nd one. At first I couldn't rave enough on the little bugger. In coming up with a load for my new 25.06 I started using the GP 250 all the time. When using the GP I would turn it on and let it sit overnight and load the next day. I would always calibrate before every use and re-calibrate if I was loading more than 20 rounds. The scale always sat on a very stable bench. Matter-of-fact I have 2 loading tables. The scale was always on the bench apart from my press and powder measure. When loading, the only movement on the scale bench was arm resting on it while trickling powder. So, out of nowhere I started getting a sticky bolt on my rifle using my sight in load. Couldn't figure it out. I asked my questions on another forum and got lots of advice. Many times I thought I had it figured out. Then, back to zero. One morning the wife went to the mall and I decided to load up some. Then I realized I hadn't turned the scale on the night before. So, out came out the old 505. I loaded several rounds in different increments all the way to my present load. Headed to the range and proceeded to burn some, "precious" powder. None of the rounds gave me a sticky bolt!! When I got home I pulled out the last 10 rounds I had for the rifle that I had loaded with the GP. Then a brain storm. I pulled the bullets and measured the powder on the 505. EVERY load was, according to the 505 over-charged by .3 +- which made quite a difference since I was already at max. amount. I turned the GP on and let it warm up for 5 hrs. You guessed it!! Every load weighed was almost spot on to it's original weight. I even weighed several loads over as I was not quite ready to accept what I was seeing. My first GP would not settle in so I sent it back and they sent me a brand new one back. So, what caused the scale to start reading differently in mid-stream. I don't know. So, that is my long winded story on my GP experience. I haven't used it since.

PS
I'm still not ready to give up on the GP though. The reviews on this scale are too good to ignore.

Last edited:
I bought one used a few years ago, it worked for about a month. It now drifts wildly and won't read its 20g cal weight properly.

I use one too. Like it a lot. I don't get in a hurry loading. Yes, it is slow when trickling, but I'm patient. I like it a lot.

I have found on mine it pays to change the batteries out from time to time and that a fresh set of batteries go a long way to ensuring the consistency of the scale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been considering buying one of these units due to the high level of weighing accuracy, but after reading the article below, it looks like they have a serious issue when trying to do dynamic weighing; such as trickling up from a short load. Have any of you guys with these went back and verified your loads after you trickle them up?

Welcome to PreciseShooter!

Does anyone find it effective to remove the pan after trickling up to the correct amount, then setting the loaded pan on the scale to confirm its weight?

Does anyone find it effective to remove the pan after trickling up to the correct amount, then setting the loaded pan on the scale to confirm its weight?

I have had very good luck removing the pan and then trickling using the floating zero of how far off my negative value is to adjust my target weight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My powder measure gets me very close; usually close enough that I can mentally calculate about how many kernels of powder I am short of the target weight. I throw in however many I need (usually 15 or less) and pick up the tray to reweigh. When using the scale it is immediately obvious that trickling does not induce a fast nor accurate response, but by lifting it and setting it back down I am able to get an accurate weight. This does not take more than a split second to perform. I would still recommend the scale despite this deficiency.

I thought I had a 250, but when I looked at the bottom it says 500. Either way, it's a lemon. I calibrated it, tared it, and then verified a charge from my Chargemaster. The readings on the Gempro were all over the place. So I calibrated it again, tared it, and did it again. Then I noticed that right after that process, when I put the empty pan on the scale, it read 0.1 grains. Rinse, lather, repeat, same same. It's drifting 0.1 grains every time. Tried it on batteries as well as AC with same result. By the way, these don't like rechargeable batteries. I'm sending it back to balances.com and will try a second unit. Very disappointed.

My powder measure gets me very close; usually close enough that I can mentally calculate about how many kernels of powder I am short of the target weight. I throw in however many I need (usually 15 or less) and pick up the tray to reweigh. When using the scale it is immediately obvious that trickling does not induce a fast nor accurate response, but by lifting it and setting it back down I am able to get an accurate weight. This does not take more than a split second to perform. I would still recommend the scale despite this deficiency.

This is the exact procedure I use as well. Works great for me.

I picked one up on recs seen here and elsewhere, but I'm using primarily for trickling up loads for Creedmoor and others, and am struggling with confidence when tare varies quickly if not keeping a steady pace building loads. I have to reset tare constantly, it'll vary if sitting on pad for any length of time and I wind up having to use my older, but weight checked and reliable Ohaus beam to be certain I'm pouring correct loads. Think this is going to be replaced with A&D FX 120i, for speed and accuracy. Had high hopes, not sure if I have a legit return or just expected more from it's reputation, but for now, it's back to beam.

I picked one up on recs seen here and elsewhere, but I'm using primarily for trickling up loads for Creedmoor and others, and am struggling with confidence when tare varies quickly if not keeping a steady pace building loads. I have to reset tare constantly, it'll vary if sitting on pad for any length of time and I wind up having to use my older, but weight checked and reliable Ohaus beam to be certain I'm pouring correct loads. Think this is going to be replaced with A&D FX 120i, for speed and accuracy. Had high hopes, not sure if I have a legit return or just expected more from it's reputation, but for now, it's back to beam.

Mine won't weigh the same weight twice and give the same value twice. Going back...

A late reply, but I just picked up one of these the other day. This is what I started doing. As long as it registers +/- .02 gr I am happy, which it did for the most part.

On the first batch it ran pretty close to perfectly and I gave it like a 6 hour warmup. The second batch it had about a 3 hour warmup, and I noticed some drift between OCW batches on the order of up to a grain, which yielded some distress. I narrowed the cause down to my computer speakers which I turned on mid-loading at a mid range volume level. I also have the scale sitting next to a 1 TB RAID enclosure, router, and cable modem which didn't seem to effect it. I was reading somewhere that the sensor used in this scale is not sensitive to EMI, but haven't researched it any further and am not going to.

I'm still undecided on the stability and accuracy of my unit, haven't messed with calibration yet, although I tested it with some 69 SMKs when I first got it and everything seemed OK. Still +/- 1 gr for a 69 grain is significant when you are down at ~25gr doing .223 loads. My first OCW candidates were shooting between .5-.6 MOA from 25.2,25.4,25.6 gr in numb finger, cold and windy conditions from a stock 700 with an untuned trigger, which is more than acceptable for me. We will see how this second batch shoots as I'm down to the .1 gr jumps, which is around half a percent and getting to be pretty slim on the error margins, but overall I'm pretty happy with the device.

Mine won't weigh the same weight twice and give the same value twice. Going back...

Got mine today, and have the same issue. I let the pan sit on the scale after calibrating it with the 20g weight and then zero it.

Put some power in, put the pan on and get a weight. Let it sit, take it off, rinse/repeat and half the time I get something thats .1 grain off or more.

I notice that the more off center it is the more the reading is off, but there is no real 'lip' or deep groove to center it on.

So far I don't trust it.

Gempro 250 pooped out on me too. I ended up with the Tanita 1210N diamond scale. <$200 and accurately runs from 308 to 0.05 grain and verified with an Ohaus Carat Plus Precision Jewelry scale of my uncles. BTW, anyone who would like to get tres kinky with extremely consistent charges should try measuring in .002 grain. Makes you paranoid!

Really wanted this scale to work, sent first back for very inconsistent tare performance. Old Will Knott replaced it readily, but second was no better than first and the lugs on one side of battery plates were off far enough on both to kick the battery out of seating position, so battery option was down. Bottom fell out of scale weight, not much good without verifiable weight to zero with. Too many issues, no trust in results-done with this brand digital scale. Always have used beam scales, and picked up a Scott Parker tuned Redding that will be primary, backed up by two 5-10 Ohaus scales, one of which has to be 30 years old, but is new in box. Feel much confidence in any of those.

Lee Beam scale is better. I don't trust any of these electronic scales. Too many things to go wrong. A beam scale is just as fast.