• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Genesis Ballistics Solutions--Android Now Available!!

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Hi,

So we finally have the app development team lined out for a new ballistic app system that is a joint venture between Hoplite Arms and Patagonia Ballistics so I would like to here what you all have to say on Range Card Layouts.

What are your desires/request/must have/cannot have/etc etc when it comes to range card layout and features?

Sincerely,
    Theis

Possibly a place to put where the actual projectile is as far as position in flight for those that like to do trick shooting calculations like shooting through a small hole that is some distance from the muzzle in a building, or shooting over a closer target to hit a target behind it?

Likely it will come in out of my price range and too complicated for me to use but I'll toss in a few ideas.

(1) Make it easy to adjust text size, so us old bad eyed fucks can use it without having to dig out our glasses.
    (2) The header of every page say what rifle and load we are on. Ummm, of course none of us have ever missed a target because we had the wrong rifle in the computer.
    (3) If you are using that color Suneto offer an option so the user can change the colors from drab/tactical to vivid/technicolor.
    (4) Send prototypes to some of the real shooters on the board and ask them to do honest reviews on open threads
    (5)Remember to offer a screaming GB deal for Hiders.

Hey, Good luck

Likely it will come in out of my price range and too complicated for me to use but I'll toss in a few ideas.

(1) Make it easy to adjust text size, so us old bad eyed fucks can use it without having to dig out our glasses.
    (2) The header of every page say what rifle and load we are on. Ummm, of course none of us have ever missed a target because we had the wrong rifle in the computer.
    (3) If you are using that color Suneto offer an option so the user can change the colors from drab/tactical to vivid/technicolor.
    (4) Send prototypes to some of the real shooters on the board and ask them to do honest reviews on open threads
    (5)Remember to offer a screaming GB deal for Hiders.

Hey, Good luck
    Lots of that^
    For the text size, I'd like a finger swipe zoom thingy. I want tons of data that I can zoom out on, scroll quickly to where I want then zoom in to read it.

#4 especially, it's like the Kestrel HUD. Did they really give that to a PRS shooter and he/she said it was a great idea? The thing is so big and clunky and slow to use it's made itself worthless.

It needs to have a rotatable screen! Why the ballistic apps I have don't is beyond me.

Give me a menu button that takes me to the round configuration from every screen! I don't want to back out three screens to change the rifle/load/wind/environmental data.

Hi,

First system release will be Android then IOS.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    Cool
    Big screen.

a primary Target with a band of selectable targets

basically a range card with one target option highlighted along with a simple range table option showing all.

Big font for us geriatrics.
    A simple wind and comprehensive wind selection with high/low.

Ability to input target size\simple description and see inclination and DOF

I think the range card and dope side of things should have the ability to give you a "range card view" where it's just the basics

So a digital whiteboard like an E Dope card page, so you can place the phone down to see just what you need. Versus a tiny 8pt font range page with everything. That helps but it's so small and deep it's not easy to use. Let me pick my tracks and tables I want to see. Like little checkboxes in settings that says, show me X, Y, Z, but not T

The inputs should be easy, as well most range cards go from 200 to X, being able to select the range would be nice as well as let itself populate the data when you input the range value, so 833 would auto-populate the dope needed based on the track

Easier is better, remember a lot of new users will be overwhelmed by the software, so make it easier for them with shortcuts if you could.

Where are the mistakes made in inputting, those need to make easier for people, as well as with truing the data? Truing messes people up, so make that as easy as possible

I would rather have tabs to work with than submenus
    Last I want to be able to open it to my main data page, give it a setting that says I am using the App so open it to the last page viewed or being able to, prior to closing it says, open to this page. Lots of times when accessing Apps you have to scroll to the area you want to see.

I think the range card and dope side of things should have the ability to give you a "range card view" where it's just the basics

So a digital whiteboard like an E Dope card page, so you can place the phone down to see just what you need. Versus a tiny 8pt font range page with everything. That helps but it's so small and deep it's not easy to use. Let me pick my tracks and tables I want to see. Like little checkboxes in settings that says, show me X, Y, Z, but not T

The inputs should be easy, as well most range cards go from 200 to X, being able to select the range would be nice as well as let itself populate the data when you input the range value, so 833 would auto-populate the dope needed based on the track

Easier is better, remember a lot of new users will be overwhelmed by the software, so make it easier for them with shortcuts if you could.

Where are the mistakes made in inputting, those need to make easier for people, as well as with truing the data? Truing messes people up, so make that as easy as possible

I would rather have tabs to work with than submenus
    Last I want to be able to open it to my main data page, give it a setting that says I am using the App so open it to the last page viewed or being able to, prior to closing it says, open to this page. Lots of times when accessing Apps you have to scroll to the area you want to see.

+1

Also GeoBallistics does a very good job with their range card, but could use some tweaks. FFS did a great job too.

I would love for range cards to be exported in 3x5 or xls format for printing.

Wind
    Wind is our biggest issue to shooting. In-putting the wind direction has to be on a wheel of some sort. Don't ask the user to input a wind angle. Wind angle needs to be input from a visual coordination between seeing the target (pointing your device at it) and aligning the wind on the wheel to what you are feeling or seeing. Asking a beginner "what angle the wind is at from 10 o'clock?" is not something most people know.

A range card specifically should show: (required)
    1. The program name, what I named it for this rifle and load.
    2. Bullet weight and possibly what bullet mfg.
    3. Weather conditions AND Density Altitude
    4. Wind direction and speed for that chart

Other notes:
    Please round mils to the nearest 0.1 and MOA to the nearest 0.25(must have)
    Be able to turn off Earth based effects and aero dynamic jump to find gun MPH (must have)
    Maybe it could have a specific area/menu to find you gun mph or calculate it for you. 4.6 mph gun (wish list/request)
    DA drop chart. Show drop and wind for 2000,4000,6000 DA in one chart. (wish list/request)

I make drop cards for my rifles/loads at various DAs and Velcro them to my rifle for hunting and quick reference.

Being able to turn off the fancy crap like arodynamic jump would be nice as I don't want to have to worry about my drop card having a 3 o'clock jump built in and I actually have a 9 o'clock wind.

I just want to easily be able to export a file to excel has has my drop and drift for whatever wind speed I choose and multiple DAs that the user can select. I could then shrink it to the size I need, print it, cut out the different DA columns, laminate them, and put them on Velcro. It's already arts and crafts galore, trying to do this with the AB exports turns it into a bunch of copy-paste time on the computer as well and I still have the AD that I can't shut off.

As far as range cards go. I really like the idea of being able to input multiple target distances, and a visual wind arrow you can twist to change the direction.

Hi,

Thanks for the information so far, please keep comments/suggestions coming but please note the new program Alpha One coming out under the Genesis Ballistics Solutions company name is being built with the same DABE (Dynamically Adapted Ballistic Engine) as the current Coldbore program runs on so all the features of Coldbore (loophole, etc etc) will of course be implemented into Alpha One.

Our venture is to not only bring the "Coldbore" program off being dedicated to Windows devices but we are improving upon the features and user interface; as that is what is driving the question on Range Card desires so thank you all for comments.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Integrate standard load data basics.

Printing to standard 3x5 and 8.5x11.

Group size functions.

I don't use ColdBore but I'd like to see:

-iOS and Android support
    - custom turret value
    - truing mv making my own custom curve (shot in transonic, subsonic and make curve..)
    - manually chose what value I would like use ex. wind in m/s and velocity fps range in meters and atmospheric with imperial..
    - live wind read, iLink Kestrel working in imperial and metric system with live read, refresh read every 5min etc...
    - GPS ranging with multiple target seen same time ( I put 3 different target on the screen and see what are value for elevation and windage on it) with live wind
    - loophole
    - export to excel ballistics chart - I'd like to make wind chart and print it 0-1000y and 0-30mph for every hundred meters and every 2mph with value in metric(cm)/imperial (inch)
    - simply and clear group size with autoload atmo and gun profile
    - atmosphere with Kestrel and/or nearest airport atmosphere station..
    - wind kit with manually entering range and wind value
    - reticle ranging and reticle patch using my own reticle ex. if I use EBR-2C or MSR reticle I'd like to see this reticle on a screen
    - active logbook ex. I use one gun profile I have atmospheric etc I save current patch for elevation and next time same conditions app is auto tune patch.. (maybe including shootingrange via gps (same shooting place)?)

Last edited:
    All basic inputs should be accessible via the home screen. The thing that makes Strelok so easy to use is that I can see everything on the home page, and any submenus are simply a matter of touching that menu from the homepage to open it.

Thesis,
    I like to print the range cards and have adjustable text size.
    Choose which info is printed. Ie: I like simple. Range, drop wind. A line which show wind speed used for the output
    Allow 2 wind vectors for the output to be printed
    A line of for bullet, velocity, pressure or DA
    If using Coldbore, please change the DA card output so that the DA or pressure is actually shown on the xcell files or output file throughout the range of data
    Allow user to change font color for the printout if not an Xcell file
    Format output to fit 3x5 card or a front back print option on 3x5
    Please keep a means to transfer data from the handheld (phone) to a laptop/Pad for us older folks who hate using a phone for all our computer needs :)
    Make velocity change available on the homepage, not 2 sub files away..

Thanks for allowing input

Last edited:
    Thesis,
    I like to print the range cards and have adjustable text size.
    Choose which info is printed. Ie: I like simple. Range, drop wind. A line which show wind speed used for the output

A problem with that is thanks to our Tech overlords of Apple and Google wanting you to rely solely on them, printing from both iOS devices and Android devices is not exactly straight forward (I mean why would you ever need to have a paper copy of something... we'd then not be able to control your access to it or change it's content).

What might work better is if it can easily save / export it to a CSV or spreadsheet format for download / e-mail / upload and then you can print it easily on a desktop application.

A problem with that is thanks to our Tech overlords of Apple and Google wanting you to rely solely on them, printing from both iOS devices and Android devices is not exactly straight forward (I mean why would you ever need to have a paper copy of something... we'd then not be able to control your access to it or change it's content).

What might work better is if it can easily save / export it to a CSV or spreadsheet format for download / e-mail / upload and then you can print it easily on a desktop application.

Having an output option for printed cards similar to what Coldbore has, with a few more output fields and a better labeling method as a .csv or .xls would be great. I do agree, It would likely be easier as an output file not a direct print option. Thanks for pointing that out.

A great feature would be an easy way to type in a target name identifier for the typical "multiple target, multiple distance" PRS stage. I.e. rather than just a chart of distance and drop and wind, you'd be able to input specific targets with their distance and a description, and get an output just for those.

Target 1 - 45% IPSC - 300 yds - 1.0 mil - 0.1 mil wind
    Target 2 - 12" Square - 600 yds - 3.6 mil - 0.5 mil wind
    Target 3 - 100% IPSC - 1000 yds - 8.6 mil - 1.0 mil wind
    etc.

A great feature would be an easy way to type in a target name identifier for the typical "multiple target, multiple distance" PRS stage. I.e. rather than just a chart of distance and drop and wind, you'd be able to input specific targets with their distance and a description, and get an output just for those.

etc.
    I mentioned that in my post and agree it would be a helpful addition.

Reactions: LastShot300
    Having an output option for printed cards similar to what Coldbore has, with a few more output fields and a better labeling method as a .csv or .xls would be great. I do agree, It would likely be easier as an output file not a direct print option. Thanks for pointing that out.

I agree, an outfile in several formats is the best way to do this, and let the user modify it to fit his needs (size, columns, colors, fonts), otherwise you are at the mercy of the guys doing the software.

Reactions: brettb614
    I don't use ColdBore but I'd like to see:

-iOS and Android support
    - custom turret value
    - truing mv making my own custom curve (shot in transonic, subsonic and make curve..)
    - manually chose what value I would like use ex. wind in m/s and velocity fps range in meters and atmospheric with imperial..
    - live wind read, iLink Kestrel working in imperial and metric system with live read, refresh read every 5min etc...
    - GPS ranging with multiple target seen same time ( I put 3 different target on the screen and see what are value for elevation and windage on it) with live wind
    - loophole
    - export to excel ballistics chart - I'd like to make wind chart and print it 0-1000y and 0-30mph for every hundred meters and every 2mph with value in metric(cm)/imperial (inch)
    - simply and clear group size with autoload atmo and gun profile
    - atmosphere with Kestrel and/or nearest airport atmosphere station..
    - wind kit with manually entering range and wind value
    - reticle ranging and reticle patch using my own reticle ex. if I use EBR-2C or MSR reticle I'd like to see this reticle on a screen
    - active logbook ex. I use one gun profile I have atmospheric etc I save current patch for elevation and next time same conditions app is auto tune patch.. (maybe including shootingrange via gps (same shooting place)?)

In former discussions, the reticle stuff was already addressed and with so many designs floating around, all being the same old tune, regurgitating the hash-marks, etc, I'd be more than happy to only have two basic types in MOA and MRAD, rather than to have to deal with a bunch of possibilities like in Strelok, that when displayed on screen are almost useless. Just give me a good scale with enough marks and a clear annotation and I'll be a happy camper. I want a solid software with a robust engine, and this kind of reticle amenities are basically irrelevant IMHO. BTW the other requirements you are asking for are in Coldbore so my bet is they will be in the new package too.

A fudd retical, a mil and a moa.

Or just a mil and a moa, I can use or ignor the lines in iether format.

There is no point to match everyone's retical

etc.
    i would like multiple cards like above, be able to program a whole match. one card per stage.

Piggybacking on Frank's idea about the digital whiteboard...

What about a standard kind of line/column page where you can put in target names (A/B/C or 1/2/3 or just name the target with it's range, and have elevation/windage populate in the next columns, nothing new there...

But when you pull up the whiteboard you can select the targets and drop them on the whiteboard where they belong without trying to use a finger or stylus to write small enough to fit everything.

Text is easier for people to read than handwriting anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️

+1

Also GeoBallistics does a very good job with their range card, but could use some tweaks. FFS did a great job too.

I would love for range cards to be exported in 3x5 or xls format for printing.
    Diver, speaking od range cards, what do you like of FFS not currently in Geoballistics? Do you see room for improvement?

Diver, speaking od range cards, what do you like of FFS not currently in Geoballistics? Do you see room for improvement?

I do like Geobalistics, and if you get the matchbook early, the entire match is ready to go and shareable. I was not really saying FFS is better, but it does work nicely for hold stages as you can input a range on the home screen, and all other ranges are based on that. It is more sophisticated and can utilize GPS data if that is needed with easy, fast workflow.

Hi,

After taking the weekend to discuss things with everyone involved in this venture; here are some notes/comments that we have so far and once again THANK YOU all for contributing because we really do read your posted comments and your PM comments.

What this app IS NOT going to be:

A group size measurement (plenty of them already)

GPS only for Targeting purposes (plenty of GPS nav apps)

A Logbook (honestly it’s in ColdBore and its usage is extremely insufficient)

No abundance of reticles (flashy but basically useless)..we can add a basic one in MRAD and MOA with hash marks…that’s more than enough since all are just theme variations of the very same thing

Picture annotations (too cumbersome to add given the broad scope of the app, and best doing with a separate app)...Let me see what I can do with image uploading, the problem is you need it geo-referenced (to make sense when using the GPS for ranging and azimuth).

General features
    • User files will be in XML format (a universal vendor-independent supported standard).
    • User data files will be compatible with ColdBore .1.0 so data exchange between the two will be seamless.
    • User files can be exported/imported to a desktop PC and to the cloud.
    • Like in ColdBore, all pages will display the selected track’s data (load, rifle, etc).
    • It’s likely to release the app when reaching beta status to a number of testers.
    • Full screen rotation will be featured too.
    • Like in ColdBore, all parameters will be supported for metric/imperial and most important, the user will be able to mix them up as desired. NO need to set up “preferences”
    • A Tabbed interface is going to be the primary metaphor to use. Submenus will be almost nonexistent.
    • The app will feature the same “truing” mechanism present in ColdBore (ie the Drag Coefficient)
    • Error messages will be abundant and clear, same as in ColdBore, so the user will get always a meaningful message in plain english.
    • Kestrel Series 5XXX pairing
    • The current TURRET units as featured in ColdBore, takes care of the custom turret value (turret actual built-in error)
    • Full support for Multiple Winds (up to 3 zones) as in ColdBore
    • Ranging tool supporting Angle of View

Range Card specific
    • The Range Card will be user customizable for selected parameters and units (which columns to display, MOA, MRAD, TURRET units, etc).
    • Will try to do our best to support as many tags as possible, however given the constrained real estate available that’s not an easy feat.
    • Excel and CSV formats will also be supported so users are free to change whatever they want (ie layout, fonts, size, etc).
    • Printing will be in PDF format, which given its widespread support is essentially a universal standard.
    • Like in ColdBore 1.0 all user settings (Coriolis, Aero Jump, etc) are user selectable (on/off)
    • Full support of Target coordinates (GEO, UTM and MGRS) and up to 72 reference ellipsoids.
    • Targeting and Mapping functionality

Sincerely,
    Theis

Hi,

After taking the weekend to discuss things with everyone involved in this venture; here are some notes/comments that we have so far and once again THANK YOU all for contributing because we really do read your posted comments and your PM comments.

No abundance of reticles (flashy but basically useless)..we can add a basic one in MRAD and MOA with hash marks…that’s more than enough since all are just theme variations of the very same thing

Picture annotations (too cumbersome to add given the broad scope of the app, and best doing with a separate app)...Let me see what I can do with image uploading, the problem is you need it geo-referenced (to make sense when using the GPS for ranging and azimuth).

General features
    • User files will be in XML format (a universal vendor-independent supported standard).
    • User data files will be compatible with ColdBore .1.0 so data exchange between the two will be seamless.
    • Like in ColdBore, all pages will display the selected track’s data (load, rifle, etc).
    • It’s likely to release the app when reaching beta status to a number of testers.
    • Like in ColdBore, all parameters will be supported for metric/imperial and most important, the user will be able to mix them up as desired. NO need to set up “preferences”
    • A Tabbed interface is going to be the primary metaphor to use. Submenus will be almost nonexistent.
    • The app will feature the same “truing” mechanism present in ColdBore (ie the Drag Coefficient)
    • Error messages will be abundant and clear, same as in ColdBore, so the user will get always a meaningful message in plain english.
    • The current TURRET units as featured in ColdBore, takes care of the custom turret value (turret actual built-in error)

Range Card specific
    • The Range Card will be user customizable for selected parameters and units (which columns to display, MOA, MRAD, TURRET units, etc).
    • Will try to do our best to support as many tags as possible, however given the constrained real estate available that’s not an easy feat.
    • Excel and CSV formats will also be supported so users are free to change whatever they want (ie layout, fonts, size, etc).
    • Printing will be in PDF format, which given its widespread support is essentially a universal standard.
    • Like in ColdBore 1.0 all user settings (Coriolis, Aero Jump, etc) are user selectable (on/off)
    • Full support of Target coordinates (GEO, UTM and MGRS) and up to 72 reference ellipsoids.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    Was working on a big post for this but basically for me user selectable columns is key.

my next question is will there be a desktop version available? That’s where some of the more complex and advanced features could live. Similar (please forgive the comparison) to AB Analytics and AB mobile.

Reactions: rockmyglock
    Was working on a big post for this but basically for me user selectable columns is key.

my next question is will there be a desktop version available? That’s where some of the more complex and advanced features could live. Similar (please forgive the comparison) to AB Analytics and AB mobile.
    According to THEIS post, the user files are going to be compatible with Coldbore, so why the need to have another desktop software? I mean, it's kinda of redundant isn't it?

Hi,

And you were doing so good, lolol....
    How is that Ipad working out for you?? hahahaha

Sincerely,
    Theis

Hi,

General features

Range Card specific

Sincerely,
    Theis

YES!
    Absolutely don’t let it get bloated with sit around the house and touch myself features like some phone apps.

Just the essential nitty gritty like the kestrel but a bigger screen format and some added conveniences.

Can you make the range card screen output to an E-Dope Card? It would be nice to be able to quickly select up to 10 target ranges with maybe two different wind values, then have it transfer to the E-Dope card.

I love this feature with a competitor's app, but is it ridiculously unreliable and they don't seem to really want to address the issues with their updates.

Can you make the range card screen output to an E-Dope Card? It would be nice to be able to quickly select up to 10 target ranges with maybe two different wind values, then have it transfer to the E-Dope card.

I love this feature with a competitor's app, but is it ridiculously unreliable and they don't seem to really want to address the issues with their updates.
    Never used E-Dope does it allows to enter target coordinates? How does it works?

Never used E-Dope does it allows to enter target coordinates? How does it works?
    No, its just a simple electronic dope card. It transfers data via NFC from your phone. It looks like a very small e-reader screen, no batteries, waterproof. They are actually really cool. Their software, in my opinion, is a little clunky and it doesn't interface reliably with the kestrel link software.

You can check them out here.

No, its just a simple electronic dope card. It transfers data via NFC from your phone. It looks like a very small e-reader screen, no batteries, waterproof. They are actually really cool. Their software, in my opinion, is a little clunky and it doesn't interface reliably with the kestrel link software.

You can check them out here.
    Thanks, crystal now. Have been checking their site, so the layout is up to your software or theirs?

Their software, in my opinion, is a little clunky and it doesn't interface reliably with the kestrel link software.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying back to your suggestions/comments.

I would have to see what type of interface protocols E-Dope utilizes but from the sounds of it based on the bold items above that we are probably not going to want our product attached to such system because then it is a he said/she said in regards to which companies product is the problem when a user as yourself finds it "ridiculously unreliable".

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: Jamie C
    Hi,

So bringing this back to the top with a different question, lol.
    What color palette is easiest to read for you all?
    2020-06-11 (1).png

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: Svilen Petrov