• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Geovids or Swaro Range Finder?

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
Im not going to buy both. If you were to buy one would you buy a good LRF or a set of Geovids? My worry is that the Geovids are a bit heavy and bulky.... Opinions?

Re: Geovids or Swaro Range Finder?

I just got the Geovids and they are awsome. Yes, a bit heavy but worth the weight instead of carrying a set of binaculars and a rangefinder, much faster aquisition of targets.

a binocular range finder is SO much more versatile....do the Geovids...10x is plenty

+ 1 to everything said above. The Geovids may wont range as far and the Swaros but that may not be a factor for you.

One more thing to consider, the HD glass version. I wasn't impressed with the std models. I own a pair of EL 10X42s and the std Geovid glass is of noticeably lesser quality.

Geovids,

I did the high end binocs and leica rangefinder for a few years and it works fine. This year I got a set of Geovid HD's and never looked back. They are faster in the field, you don't have to mess with digging out a rangefinder if time is a factor hunting. It's one less thing to put on your belt or hang from your neck.

Yes they are heavier than binoculars, but not heavier than a binocular and rangefinder combo. One less thing to carry, keep track of, and find a place for. If the rangefinder dies the binoculars still work so it's no different than if your dedicated rangefinder dies in the field. Price is higher, but no worse than high end binoculars and a high end rangefinder combined.

If it's not for hunting use, and time may not be critical, then I don't think it matters much which way you go.

As someone else said the normal geovids are a slight step below the best binoculars for optics. My geovid HD's are so close to my EL's that even swapping back and forth it's tough to say there's any real difference.

Once you spend a few days in the field being able to range things at will whenever you are glassing you'll never go back to using the combo. Frankly I'd even take the hit in optical quality of the plain geovid's and be pleased as punch being able to range instantly and not having to dig a range finder off my belt compared to my EL/leica 1200 combo.

The Leica Geovid 8x42 is not really all that more expensive than a new Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30. The Leica goes for $1799.99 normally, however, as a SH member you get an additional $150.00 discount to $1649.99 and there is a $350.00 after purchase rebate from Leica bringing the final expense down to $1299.99. At that price you can use it for a season and if you don't like it you can resell it with virtually no loss.

+1 for the Geovids...had a pair and used them hard for over a year before upgrading to a Vector IV. Also had a Swaro LG...I hated the huge aim sight.

+1 on the 8x42 Geovid. I've owned mine for almost three years and used it all year round down in South Texas with no problem. The price being quoted by one of the site sponsors is a hell of a price considering I paid over 2100 for mine.

Great bino glass.

I looked at the Zeiss binoc/LRF when I was shopping to replace my EL's which was nice because I could just take my EL's in the store and compare them directly, both indoors and outside in good and failing light.

I've heard really good things about the Zeiss version and for over $3000 it should be amazing, but to my eyes the geovid HD and EL's were superior in color rendition and similar in light gathering. I'm not sure if it was a color/contrast coating issue or maybe the display model had been dropped/damaged. Also for whatever reason I could hold the leica's and EL's more steady than the zeiss. I'm not sure if that's a balance issue due to the larger/heavier lenses up front, or if it's an ergonomics issue.

I did have once instance with my geovid HD's that I had problems getting a range in super bright full sun. However I was able to scan just a little bit left/right of the animal's feet and got a usable range without any issue. That instance was the only time I had that happen and I've used it enough to have already gone through 2 sets of batteries, and I've gotten ranges on it out past 1300 yards, so it ranges farther than my leica 1200 did. I know the LRF in the HD's is supposed to be a little better than the non-HD so perhaps that's part of it.

The only other issue I could state is that at times the display on the leica is a little dim, especially in the snow on a bright day. You can still see the box and range display but it's certainly not as bright as it could/should be. That and if you are a bow hunter having the button on the left side is kind of a pain, you can reach over and get it with your right hand, but a right side button would have been nicer.

I also didn't like the huge aim sight on the swaro LRF's but I think they have the best ranging performance without going to the Vectors. It will be interesting to see if swarovski comes out with a LRF binocular since they appear to really be picking up in popularity. I know a lot of guys that have gone to them over the past couple years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gr8fuldoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Leica Geovid 8x42 is not really all that more expensive than a new Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30. The Leica goes for $1799.99 normally, however, as a SH member you get an additional $150.00 discount to $1649.99 and there is a $350.00 after purchase rebate from Leica bringing the final expense down to $1299.99. At that price you can use it for a season and if you don't like it you can resell it with virtually no loss. </div></div>

Doug,

Can you use the $150 discount on the Dealer specials ($1250)?

It's $150.00 off for members on a new 8x42 Geovid and $250.00 off of a new 15x56 Geovid. We can only deduct it from the new ones, of course, while the supply lasts as Leica is all sold out of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I LIKE THE GEOVIDS BEST AND AM GONNA GET THE 10X42 EVENTUALLY.</div></div>

Well there you have it. A strong recommendation from someone who's added it to his wishlist.

I've had the Swaro's for several years now and the glass is better than most binoc's. I have some 8 X 42 Zeiss Victory FL binoc's to compare with and the swaro's do a good job even against them. Your giving up some fov with the Swaro but they weigh less and range farther.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not going to buy both. If you were to buy one would you buy a good LRF or a set of Geovids? My worry is that the Geovids are a bit heavy and bulky.... Opinions? </div></div>

Doug from Cameraland has sent us Guides and my Outfitter <span style="font-weight: bold">6 pair</span> of the Geovids. We make our Fall living by hunting / using our optics.

I think that speaks volumes ! Geovids get our Vote !!

You won't find better customer service than CL NY
grin.gif

The Swaro is without a doubt the better rangefinder. I don't think anyone would argue that.

That said, I have the 10x42 Geovids. The rangefinder is damn good, and you get binos all in one package. The Swaro beats the Geovids in bright sunlight ranging, and will definitely range farther in most cases... but I don't have any problem getting out to 800-1000 under most conditions with the Geovids. I've ranged 1300+ on a clear overcast day. I was not impressed with the Swaros for anything other than ranging. I personally hate monoculars from a viewing standpoint.

If you want the best rangefinder or shoot over 1000 yards regularly, get the Swaros.

If you want a good rangefinder combined with a nice set of binos, get the Geovids. I love mine and wouldn't trade them for anything (and have had the chance). The fact that they are an "all-in-one" handy package that is a pleasure to look through is why I love them.

*** I have had my Geovids for 4+ years now and my uncle has the Swaros. I've had hours and hours on each.

Unfortunately, I am forced to wear corrective lenses and I found the Swarov LRF needed to centered on my glasses. If positioned off center, the read out was partially missing. Certainly not a deal breaker...since changed to the Leica 1200LRF.

My 2 cents

Love my 8X42 geovids I got form camera land they are the shit.

If you need to regularly range past 1000 get the Swaro. I have the Swaro and a pair of EL's. Yes a pain to carry both but the extra range of the Swaro is worth it to me.

So here's my Xmas wish list on this topic.

OK, I missed the opportunity to grab a set of the current 10x Geovids. For my application (comp-only), I can envision these scenarios:
1. where I want to use binos when spotting for others for extended periods. If they can range, even better.
2. Blind stages at 600+ yard targets where I would rather have 10x bino RF (vs. my 8x LRF)
3. Known stages where I'm just validating ranges (8x LRF will work fine).

Would the Swaro (or other RF -- I have the Zeiss Victory LRF) cover all of these? I can get by but I really want to have the binocular aspect from a comfort, eye fatigue perspective.
So, my hope is that the new Leica Geovids will not only have an optical upgrade (that's what I've heard) but will also have the laser upgraded to be comparable to the Swaro's ranging capability.
Hoping St. NickLeica is listening.

My guess is it will be awhile before we see another Leica geovid binocular upgrade. Partly due to the economy and the fact that the HD geovid's are not even a year on the market yet. The optics on the HD version are pretty darn good and the laser rangefinder is better than anything else leica has out currently, and improved (though not hugely) over the old leica geovid rangefinder.

I think you'd be more likely to see swarvoski try and come out with a binocular/rangefinder before leica does another version of the HD geovids. A lot of guys are going to binocular/rangefinders in one unit and I'm sure swarovski knows they are missing a chunk of the market share.

Ahh, that's why I read this forum, to learn.

So the replacement for the Leicas that were just (or are) cleared out are the HD Geovids that are already on the market?
I didn't realize that.
Thanks for that nugget.