• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes German vs Japanese glass....... dollar per dollar what's your take?

Any thoughts on Philippine-made glass? I know Vortex uses it for a couple lines of their intermediate scopes.

Now a days, I feel like the quality gaps between countries of origin are closing dramatically.

Any thoughts on Philippine-made glass? I know Vortex uses it for a couple lines of their intermediate scopes.

Now a days, I feel like the quality gaps between countries of origin are closing dramatically.

Not good, the silica content in Phillipino glass is too low. Thus reducing the refractive index of the glass.

Japanese glass is better but the latest products have been negatively effected by the Fukushima incident, the sand they use in the glass has radioactive elements that screw with the coatings they put on.

Stick with German glass.
Scott glass always comes out on top in the scope glass comparison tests.

Glass looking the same from an 800 dollar optic to a 2k plus optic doesnt mean they are the same.
There is a lot more than glass that makes a top tier scope top tier.

...Japanese glass is better but the latest products have been negatively effected by the Fukushima incident, the sand they use in the glass has radioactive elements that screw with the coatings they put on...
After using all sorts of different search terms, I've been unable to google any information about that. Lots of articles about food and environmental contamination, but nothing specifically about contaminated optical glass. Can you post up any links to that? Not disputing your assertion, as it sounds plausible and likely to have occurred to some degree; I would just like to read more about it.

After using all sorts of different search terms, I've been unable to google any information about that. Lots of articles about food and environmental contamination, but nothing specifically about contaminated optical glass. Can you post up any links to that? Not disputing your assertion, as it sounds plausible and likely to have occurred to some degree; I would just like to read more about it.
Look at his avatar.................

I do not think you can assume (for example) that Schmidt&Bender only uses german glass. They might also use japanese glass or source from somewhere else. The secret sauce of scope companies is the glass treatment, polish and coating and not so much where the raw material is sourced from. (as long as it has the desired properties)

Nobody cares where they get their aluminium or steel from, as long as it does the job.

Last edited:
Both pretty good. Generally LOW or Zeiss do the grinding an polishing and coating.

There is a part of me that wonders (not all the time), but what is it about the Axis Powers of WW-II that make such great optics? :unsure:
They realized soon enough that their vision was faulty.

As a surveyor, Ive spent the past 35 years looking through glass all day long every day from distances as close as five feet away all the way out to 10,500 feet (Jake Clarkson looked like a candle at that distance)
In the late 80s/early 90s we were using swiss glass made by Wild. In the mid 90s I discovered Carl Zeiss.
In the late 90s, Sokkia glass 20x
The 10,500 shot was with the sokkia glass.
The Carl Zeiss glass was my favorite.

Reactions: BGE541
But I also liked Frank’s @lowlight comment: if you’re looking at one scope for $2,800 and another for $2,850, get the one you like—-reticle, turrets, etc—-you can’t split a hair that fine.

70C283B9-0D30-4742-A1D2-B859D0A98759.jpeg

favorite caviar thread?

when i was still in school, i worked for a short time at meade instruments, shaping and polishing lenses and mirrors for telescopes.
based on the little knowledge i gained from this, i would have to say the quality control and standards make as much difference as anything.
that isn't to say that the raw glass quality doesn't set the ultimate limits for the final product...

Reactions: Olddognewtrix
I would assume the US makes the best glass in the world. NRO birds and their history going back to Keystone with the likes of eastman kodak and the other players would make me think the US makes the finest glass in the world.

Problem is who can afford a 4 billion dollar rifle scope.

I would assume the US makes the best glass in the world. NRO birds and their history going back to Keystone with the likes of eastman kodak and the other players would make me think the US makes the finest glass in the world.

Problem is who can afford a 4 billion dollar rifle scope.
Perhaps you mean the Keyhole satellites. At any rate, the secret sauce here is the size of the lenses and since the digital photography age, the density of the digital sensor. This has very little to do with riflescopes.

All I know is the Nikon Coolpix P900 that I own can pick out the moons around Jupiter, and show the ridges on the impact craters on the moon. They make some mighty fine optics.

Nikon makes some of the finest camera lenses in the world. They have been at it a long time. They also make a lot of glass.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Nikon makes some of the finest camera lenses in the world. They have been at it a long time. They also make a lot of glass.
i wonder how well that camera would work as a spotter, and you can take video.
maybe we have been doing this all wrong!

I believe that camera has a 40X equivalent magnification. The zoom range is bigger at, I think 82X, but that's from wide angle to telephoto.

The sensor size is very small, I think it uses the 1/2.3 inch sensor with something like 16mp. It will be subject to mirage of course, and it doesn't have ED glass to help with mirage.

I think it's a great multipurpose camera, with lots of capabilities, but it's not a spotting scope.

As it says, what's everyone's take on value between German and Japanese glass?

What is value? To me, value is being able to retain something over the long haul rather than having to trade it for something better and lose half my money in the process.

German scopes are awesome. You won’t have that urge to trade up.

Reactions: 338LMAI
What is value? To me, value is being able to retain something over the long haul rather than having to trade it for something better and lose half my money in the process.

German scopes are awesome. You won’t have that urge to trade up.
i thought he was referring to how much actual difference it makes to the typical (non Horta or German) shooter on some kind of budget.

paying $1-3k more for a scope means very different things to different people (skill level and purpose not withstanding).
a couple thousand bucks to some people is only the difference in the cost of one hotel or another on their next vacation.
for others, it is a choice of whether to cut down on beer or the kid's new gear.
it's a tough decision in a town called malice.

Only schott glass with good resolution measured in arc seconds is worth a damn!!

I'd say a lot of it is anecdotal based on the say so of internet grand wizards 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: theLBC
It works perfect as a spotter, recorder. Just use a tripod. Works OK even at 1000 yards. Take a gander at the zoom uploads on youtube of the p900 and p1000. The 900 is actually more stable.