• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting an AIAW .338LM (1st post)

KiwiShtr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2009
Advance, MO.
Hi All.
This is my first post on this site and thought what a way to start than to mention my up coming purchase of an AI AW 338LM.
Before I go on, Ive been browsing over this site/forums for the past month or so and would like to pass on Kudo's to all those who post here. Alot of handy information and alot of knowledge to be found.

Ok, down to the nitty gritty.
This will be my baby:

AIAW .338LM
Folding Stock
Adj Cheek
Adj Butt
No Spike
No forward rails
Colour FDE
AI Bipod
S&B 5-25x56 P4 Fine

My only dilema is whether to go with the Dovetail or Picatinney mount. I found a thread about it a while ago, but cant seem to find it again (Was a lucky hit on the search 1st time round). If anyone can help to find that again...?

If cost was no object, would any of you do anything different to this config?

Im from NZ, now living in the states but working overseas (its hot and dusty here). So if anyone can give me some advice on some good LR places to shoot in NE Texas, or people to get in touch with either on here or in person. That would be bloody marvelous.

Lookin forward to your input.
Cheers all.

Re: Getting an AIAW .338LM (1st post)

By the way buy a bunch of lapua brass, 300gr.smk's and Retumbo.

Dovetail is the ONLY way to go! Atleast that is how all three of mine mine are set up! Get the 45 MOA AI dovetail mount (that you left off your list) as it is the only one that will work unmodified with your chosen scope. Good luck, you will love the rifle.

Sounds like a solid setup. Similar to mine.

Cut

Dove tail will give you the most solid and repeatability mounting, which is a good thing I suppose. Draw backs are: 1). Must use AI dove tail mount. They are proprietary. Nothing else will fit it. If you really consider, it is not truely a draw back. If you are going to put a large sum of money to purchase the rifle, then the 200 dollars AI mount isn't goint to make a difference. Sorry, slight digression there. Second point is difficult to find after market parts to mount your NVS, should you decide to accessorize your rifle. I would like the dove tail, but ended up with two Pic rail. No complaint at all. BTW, if you talk to Stacey Blankenship, the pic rail is epoxy bonded to the action that you are going to need more than a sledge hammer to get it off.

BTW, Welcome to the Hide. Are you from Snipers Central also?

If you're settleing in near DFW then Tac Pro will offer you a 1000yd range.

Origionally I wanted the dovetail to the point that I turned down a very nice deal on a brand new AW a few years back because it had the rail, but I'm now a fan of the pic rail. There is nothing special about the dovetail that makes it anymore repeatable than a rail and the rail will give you a lot more mounting options than that dovetail.

But that's just my (and as best I can tell every AI military contract since the L96A1) oppinion. You'll probably be happy with either and if you do get the dovetail you can always send it in and switch over at a later date.

BTW: I like your setup, add the pic rail and it's exactly how I ordered my origional AWSM. I'd consider dumping the AI bipod for an atlas w/ AI mount or even a Harris though. The legs on the AI like to extend with every damn jostle which annoys the hell out of me.

Hi all thanks for the input.
Am still in 2 minds about the optics mount Dovetail/Picatinney. Both have pros and cons to each. I know Ill be happy with either, but its basically one or the other decision so want to get it right in my mind first time.

Im actually up closer to Texarkana, so Tacpro is about a 4hr drive fom there. Made a trip down to their facility last month and thats when I made my D to go with the AW. Still a long way to travel each time Id like to shoot. Will have to get to know a few locals and find someone with a little land out in the sticks.

Ref the AI Bipod, I already have a couple of Harris bipod, but got a good deal on an AI from ebay a while back so will have the opton of swapping back and forth depending on what side of the bed I wake up on.

IF it was ME , I would HOLD off getting one until the NEW version with the 338LM CIP lenght magazine comes OUT , late 2010 , asit will be the NEW standard .

RE the Pitcanny rail , IT was discribed to me as worth while IF you need extra positions , ie placing the scope due to using NV ahead of the day scope .

To me the one thing YOU should spec (as they will not change IT after it made ) is the folding stock .
I have heard they will retro mount the pitcanny rail in the US , maybe not much of a issue .

For me as I will not be using any NV gear on mine , I saw no real need for the pitcanny rail .

Later Chris

I also recently purchased an AWSM in .338 Lapua. I got the dovetail, adj. cheek, folder and it came with butt spike, all that was available at the time. Here are a few threads mentioning the dovetail. I noticed that Stacey of AINA recommends the dovetail. He also told me that in person when I picked up my AWSM. It is personal preference and no matter which you pick I think you will be very happy with the rifle. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1229660
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1222134

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IF it was ME , I would HOLD off getting one until the NEW version with the 338LM CIP lenght magazine comes OUT , late 2010 , asit will be the NEW standard . </div></div>

Thanks for the input guys.

ChrisF, do you know what/if there will be any other mods made to the system? Apart from the CIP mag mod?

Should be CIP length for 300 grain pills, so longer than current mag, 10 round mag, barrel twist will be different, tighter for the 300 grain pills. I would guess a different mid section to accomadate the new mag and more bloody picatinny rails.

David.

Hi Again all.
Just an update to close uup this thread. Ill make another post in a different supject with pics soon.

I finally got back from the sand box (go back again in a few days) and mnaged to get my shiny new AI AWSM. I got her in 300WM instead of 338LM, mainly for the cost of ammo as reloading isnt an option at the moment. Im in Texarkana before I head back to work, so if anyone wants to go shoot somewhere (I dont have a clue where though, s some local knowledge would be greatly appreciated) Then Id be keen as mustard.

Thanks for all those who gave input and all the best for the New Year.
Cheers All.