• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Ghillie Critique (56k beware)

Zaid

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
North California
I just got "finished" making my second ghillie suit and I'd like some feedback and suggestions. My ghillie is based around a set of BDUs and has garnish on only the back of the suit and about 1/3 down the sleeves. It is comprised of both jute and burlap, some of which isn't dyed. The hat is based around a boonie and has ventilation cut into the top. Also, there are canvas skids on the chest and I plan on putting some on the elbows and knees.

The first round of pictures are just to show a more detailed view, and the second part is the ghillie in action. (Sorry about the picture quality, they were taken this evening)

First Pictures:

DSC01511.jpg

DSC01510.jpg

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

DSC01505.jpg

Second Round:
DSC01531.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

DSC01529.jpg

DSC01528.jpg

DSC01527.jpg

Re: Ghillie Critique

Not that it means anything coming from me as I have never been, and never will be - but I think it is probably fine as a base but you really need to attach natural veg in the correct color, texture, and density for the area that you are in.

As it sits I think it would blend in much better in the middle of August when all of that grass land is dead.

That all said, just understand that I am red / green / brown color blind (read animals stick out in nature to me) so I am pretty sure I see the suit in every pic. Also am I not sure how others see your 550 cord - but it looks like neon to me.

Good luck

-Jute down the backs of the legs
-Jute on the shoulders, I personally dont jute the lower arms
-Spray paint the BDU a lighter color, is always easier to go from a lighter color to a darker one with natural veg.
-Full cordura on the front and legs
-Thumb holes so it doesnt slid up when you crawl
-Needs to cover the boots, that solid tan color of the boots is a huge target indicator.

As already said, its a good base, just could add a couple things. Then add a ton of natural veg depending upon the enviorment you are in.

Thanks guys! So how should I go about spray painting the BDUs? Like, should I try to actually create a pattern or just spraypaint all one color? What's the best way to cover up the boots? Also, how should I make the thumb loops? Sorry for all the questions guys, I'd just like to make this suit as effective as possible.

Add veg, and finish the pants. Also, thumb loops are great. I started putting them on my suits, so much better to crawl with. Hmmm... what else....

The veil is the most important part (highest and most likely to be seen) and it looks like you just got tired of stripping jute when you were making it.

The grid pattern on the burlap will stand out because there is NOTHING in nature that looks like woven burlap.

I also think you have a little too much jute on the whole thing. Guys like to go overboard on the jute, then run out of placed to weave natural veg.

VEG is the EDGE. The jute just breaks up the pattern and makes you less "man shaped".

I also think your "skid plates" on the front need to extend all the way to the bottom of the blouse. As you have them now you are going to tear the hell out of the bottom pockets since that is actually the portion of your body that is going to take the most friction. Remove the bottom pockets. You can't use them if you are going to crawl.

Get rid of the white tape like stuff on the blouse and also trim back the netting.

If you really want to know what needs to be changed on your ghillie, just crawl 500-600 yards in it. You will know immediately what doesn't work. Make sure you do it across varied terrain. Nice soft grass and tall weeds don't count. You need to go over at least some rocks and more than one briar patch.

Lastly, remember a Ghillie is just a tool.

Put that thing on and drag yourself through a mud pit about 10 to 20 times tearing the fibers up real good.

Then have your buddy drag you across some gravel to help break up the jute and burlap a little better.

A ghillie without a good wash is just a toy, once it gets washed and the sweat and mud get into it, only then will it become a tool.

Re: Ghillie Critique (56k beware)

Ok, I've now taken jute out of my top, finished up the pants, trimmed down the netting in the front, taken out the white bands, and added jute to the veil. I'll put canvas all over the front tomorrow morning and then crawl through the nice muddy marsh you can see in my pictures. Besides that is there anything else I should fix?

I don't know jack about this but my layout blind (Max 4) was pretty obvious until it muddied it up a bit.

Looks like you need more vegetation or something, I can pick you out in most of those pics and I don't think it's cus of the suit but rather there is a "hole" in the vegetation wherever you are.

Wow... Just jumped in that marsh, rolled around the muddy, bird shit filled, banks, had my buddy drag me through a bunch of prickly grass, and then dragged the suit through a patch of gravel. I'll get some pictures up later. Is there anything special I should do to dry it (Like hanging it)?

if you are not getting good texture after the mud bath... when it gets mostly dry, and is slightly damp, you can rub the burlap/jute in a circular motion on concrete. it will fluff, break up, kink and raggety up the garnish.

might want to wash out the most of the muck as well. its not fun with dirt and sand all down in the suit the first time you put it back on

also leaving it hot sun will also mute down the colors

I had someone drag me down the road in front of my house to break up the jute. worked good

Mud bath "PIG roll" wash it down with water hang to dry and rake it out with a wire brush,repeat as needed....

Giving the suit its frist bath is also a good way to see what repairs you need to make to the suit.A well used suit will also always be under repair or construction.

Onething I would do is add larger skid plates to your suit...

As I'm sure you've now noticed, ghillie material gets very heavy when wet. Look at the spots where the netting is taking on extra weight and add another stitch here and there.

Also, I've made a few ghillie's in my day. From my experience it's best to go with a lighter shade of colors on your ghillie. Unless you plan on operating in the jungle year round, you can't get away with dark greens. I always prefer a light color. My ghillie is in my team room right now, but here's a photo I had on on the computer.

CIMG1419.jpg

Keeping a couple cans of camouflage Krylon around is very handy. As long as you don't go overboard with spray paint, it flakes off over time and the jute goes back to normal colors. You can darken up/lighten up at will pretty much.

Also, I agree with all the above posters that stated natural veg.. While on a long stalk you'll have to veg up several times. You're environment is constantly changing and you must also. Just remember, you're vegging up to blend into your back drop, not what's immediately in front of you (unless you're crawling through an open field or something akin to that). The human eye picks up oddities such as discolorations in back drop very easily.

Anyhow, I've ranted enough. Good luck with the Ghillie.

p.s. Get some suspenders for those ghillie pants!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One thing I would do is add larger skid plates to your suit... </div></div>

Yeah, I've expanded the skid plate to cover the whole front of the jacket, and now I'm planning on ordering some more duck canvas for the pants.

And to 1505scouts, would it be better for me to just put more undyed burlap on, or for me to spray paint it?

You don't want to put too much burlap on. You won't have enough room for veg. I've since modified my ghilly by putting very small bungee cords on the netting to help hold veg.

I'm in no way affiliated with this site. However, they do have a large range of synthetic jute dyed in a slew of colors.

http://www.ghilliesuits.com/supplies.aspx

I've used synthetic jute in the past. It doesn't smell like burlap and lasts a bit longer so you don't have to replace it as often when you do ghillie maintenance. I wouldn't buy any of their pre-fab suits, you can make a much better one yourself. But I would recommend getting some of their pre-cut synthetic jute.

I wouldn't just put it on top of the green, I'd take some green out first and then replace it with tan. At the moment I don't really have a hard time putting veg in, I have probably around 30 pieces of paracord in the suit, I just didn't put much veg in for those pictures. Yeah, I'll definitely vheck that site out, it'd be nice not having to strip all that burlap
grin.gif

Don't just pile on the burlap over another layer, you'll look like a bush. You want to blend to the environment, not add.

I do mostly tan for my suits, you can darken it easier than you can lighten the color. Also, tan is found in every environment. Do not make the ghillie to match the surroundings, That is what veg is for. One of the main uses for just is to be filler. Veg is what most of the concealment should be.

Also, I would recommend suspenders and putting some canvas on the forearm. The whole part that touches when you crawl. Also, go over all of the threads with shoe goo or e6000. Once again, thumb loops.

Rinse out your suit with a hose and take a rake or wire brush to it. You want it to be dreaded, but not in massive clumps, it needs to be pliable.

I feel like I am still forgetting something...

I am almost done with my current suit, I'll try to get some pics up soon...

Well it seems like the wash took out a lot of the extra jute. Here's some pics of it pretty much dry. Also, I think I'm going to take your suggestions and just take out the jute that's too dark and then replace it with natural jute.

DSC01541.jpg

DSC01540.jpg

DSC01539.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

DSC01537.jpg

DSC01536.jpg

looks alot better. the wash really toned it down a good bit.

depends mainly on your AO. but you are better off in most areas with a more neutral tans/light brown main scheme. as previously said... color is added easiest and most effectively with natural vegetation. a more neutral base will fit the widest variety of terrain. when you redo it... you could safely leave off probably about half of that garnish on the jacket.

i would garnish further down the legs as well. maybe hit a bit more garnish on the front and lateral shoulders as well. but not far enough down to where you are getting tangled up when crawling

I'll take out some of the jute, it does feel a bit excessive when wearing it. I'll also use natural burlap on the pants and shoulders.

+ 1 more natural veg.
When I went to school I Turned my BDU top inside out. so I could still use the pockets for range cards etc. I also had a shoulder pocket sewn on.
I had a square cut out of the back of the bdu jacket and replaced the ripstop material with insect bar(mosquito net) It seemed to help keep me a little cooler by drawing in air as I moved. I had all of the heavy canvas applied to the BDU top before I put any net or jute on.
The dragging and mud and water are all good, and then we did crawls. you will see the excess get caught under your elbows. and under your body when you crawl over things, you just trim it off.
we also put a little spot of shoe goo on the netting where you tack it down with the thread to keep it from coming undone. I think I used green dental floss as thread its pretty tough and easy to work with.
I also used a pair of those scissor suspenders to help hold up the pants.
We used the large rubberbands to hold the natural veg in.