• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ghillie Suit Advice?

Josh ZeroAlphaDesigns

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2020
US
Hey all,

I’m new to this forum so my apologies if I’ve gotten anything wrong.

I’m based in the UK and 16 years of age, and my dream and passion is to be a Sniper in the British Army when I join up at 18 and hopefully selected.

Recently I’ve been practising cam and concealment myself and made a ghillie.
Just wondering if anyone with more experience could give any pointers or tips which I could take away and practise with?

thanks for your time,

Josh
DA1786E2-A143-4C5E-8A98-9F4B11897549.jpeg
451042E7-E330-4B0B-915B-F1C30A1862A1.jpeg
079D58EC-0328-42AC-BBB6-73A683ABAF7D.jpeg
2C80B6FC-972C-42D6-ADF8-FBE6C4700CB7.jpeg
EEA57263-E00B-4877-AC72-F376E222E4D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Listen, we all did it to varying degrees, nothing wrong with it, it just not something one does because the military teaches things in certain ways and sometimes you can build in bad habit

if you want to be Sniper,

1. be smarter than the other guy. Take school serious

2. just like in Zombieland rule number one, cardio

3. do same basic land nav, moving from Point A to B

It’s not something people will respond to in a positive way when you are 16 trust me. Understand that so less is better

hope that helps

You are probably already aware but Arrse.co.uk is a website dedicated to UK military personnel, the guys there will be able to point you in the right direction as far as improving your chances of selection.

A far as training to become a soldier/sniper Frank gave you the best advice.

1, Do well in school, in the real world there is nothing worse than guys who can't read/write or do basic arithmetic.
2, Get fit, you need to crush the basic physical requirements not just barely scrape through, weight lifting and cardio are your friend.

So here are a few edits on your photos. Some of this may be from the angle the picture is taken from, but don't worry about a specific spot and focus more on the overall idea.

Edit2.jpg

The spots in orange show too much shadow/darkness or have too much contrast. You did get somewhat of a grasp of the jute to natural veg ratio and these can be melded together with more natural veg pretty easily. The head/neck/face areas are the hardest as you usually have some kind of hood that will fold onto itself when forward and end up with either a huge clump of stuff there that gives you away, not enough stuff to where the sheen and shape of your face are seen or basically a 'hole' where the darkness, sementry and contrast give you away. Ironically, this is also the area you need to rely on the most and why the majority of us wear some sort of hood or cape instead of a full ghillie. I'd also wear netting over my head that I could extend out over the riflescope or just let hang there.

Your jute material is a bit bright because its new. Soaked this whole thing down with water, toss it in a bucket of dirt from your AO (or where youd be) and let it sit overnight. Then rinse and do it again a few more times. You can also 'brush' the jute with a wire brush to make them less of a line and more of a frayed rope.

Also get gloves, for multiple reasons.

Edit3.jpg

This goes into the issues with the above picture. Not enough natural veg. You can see where your ghille is basically just not even there in some areas due to you not putting 50lbs of jute on it (good) but now having strong contrasts (bad). Also, while your pants looked fine in other backgrounds, they look entirely too faded for this terrain and contrast heavily. M81 would probably be a better option, for this picture at least.

Edit4.jpg

More shadows and contrast due to the same reasons mentioned above. Also remember, its highly unlikely (but possible) you'll be shooting in terrain this overgrown normally. Makes for a great observation spot, but lanes of fire and observation of things that aernt your specific target (i.e. patrols, random ass people being around, vehicles, etc) is next to zero. Also, if this is the one giant overgrowth of vegetation in the area, it will also be the first place people look for that hidden sniper. The natural vegetation and not contrasting will let you get into lower/smaller brush type terrain.

Oh, and fuck whatever those thorn bush with thorn bushes growing out of them bushes are.

Edit6.jpg

Last thing; see where your bands are that hold veg? See how unnaturally straight they are as well as make for an obvious contrast versus the veg? You need to hit the ghille cape with some spray paint, especially the bands to break them up. The other trick is to have longer jute up top that can drape some of them further down; but its much easier to break them up and then do your veg.

With that all said, your main focus beforehand needs to be cardio, rucking with weight and shooting basics proficiency.

Last edited:
1606022273422.png

you could just have them stand in front of you and I am sure nothing would care if you were in a suit not , one would see you :giggle: no sticks no leaves no assembly required just two girls dirt and water . Good luck making you Ghillie Suit I still think the girls would be way more fun maybe add bikini's and a bbq with cold beer ...

I have to smile... i thought it was going to be one of those...

One thing to rember is depending on where you are terrain and vegetation can change rapidly.

Good start.

So here are a few edits on your photos. Some of this may be from the angle the picture is taken from, but don't worry about a specific spot and focus more on the overall idea.

View attachment 7478881

The spots in orange show too much shadow/darkness or have too much contrast. You did get somewhat of a grasp of the jute to natural veg ratio and these can be melded together with more natural veg pretty easily. The head/neck/face areas are the hardest as you usually have some kind of hood that will fold onto itself when forward and end up with either a huge clump of stuff there that gives you away, not enough stuff to where the sheen and shape of your face are seen or basically a 'hole' where the darkness, sementry and contrast give you away. Ironically, this is also the area you need to rely on the most and why the majority of us wear some sort of hood or cape instead of a full ghillie. I'd also wear netting over my head that I could extend out over the riflescope or just let hang there.

Your jute material is a bit bright because its new. Soaked this whole thing down with water, toss it in a bucket of dirt from your AO (or where youd be) and let it sit overnight. Then rinse and do it again a few more times. You can also 'brush' the jute with a wire brush to make them less of a line and more of a frayed rope.

Also get gloves, for multiple reasons.

View attachment 7478886

This goes into the issues with the above picture. Not enough natural veg. You can see where your ghille is basically just not even there in some areas due to you not putting 50lbs of jute on it (good) but now having strong contrasts (bad). Also, while your pants looked fine in other backgrounds, they look entirely too faded for this terrain and contrast heavily. M81 would probably be a better option, for this picture at least.

View attachment 7478887

More shadows and contrast due to the same reasons mentioned above. Also remember, its highly unlikely (but possible) you'll be shooting in terrain this overgrown normally. Makes for a great observation spot, but lanes of fire and observation of things that aernt your specific target (i.e. patrols, random ass people being around, vehicles, etc) is next to zero. Also, if this is the one giant overgrowth of vegetation in the area, it will also be the first place people look for that hidden sniper. The natural vegetation and not contrasting will let you get into lower/smaller brush type terrain.

Oh, and fuck whatever those thorn bush with thorn bushes growing out of them bushes are.

View attachment 7478888

Last thing; see where your bands are that hold veg? See how unnaturally straight they are as well as make for an obvious contrast versus the veg? You need to hit the ghille cape with some spray paint, especially the bands to break them up. The other trick is to have longer jute up top that can drape some of them further down; but its much easier to break them up and then do your veg.

With that all said, your main focus beforehand needs to be cardio, rucking with weight and shooting basics proficiency.

Thanks for your help, I’ll take in everything you’ve said and work on it!

Than
Listen, we all did it to varying degrees, nothing wrong with it, it just not something one does because the military teaches things in certain ways and sometimes you can build in bad habit

if you want to be Sniper,

1. be smarter than the other guy. Take school serious

2. just like in Zombieland rule number one, cardio

3. do same basic land nav, moving from Point A to B

It’s not something people will respond to in a positive way when you are 16 trust me. Understand that so less is better

hope that helps
Thank you for your advice, it’s much appreciated. :)

I'll bite...

Ghillie construction can be taught in school... @TheGerman hit most the big points anyway.

The art and the part that is hard to teach is stalking/hiding. Comes from being able to create an optical illusion where you disappear from eyesight not so much because your completely covered but because you have managed to blend in with your ever changing surroundings. If your first untrained instinct is that's a great place to hide, its also the first place most people will be looking for you.

If there is one big distinct bush in a field that offers you amazing concealment for example, that's the first place the opfor will be looking for you. You need to be able to be hidden in plain sight... Lots of ways to do that.

Let's see some other overkooked finer points.....

Cardio x3 as mentioned plus cardio carrying a bunch of crap for some reason that needs to be moved some unreasonable distance then to be told, you and that crap now need to be moved somewhere else way hell on the other side of map at 230 hrs with no starlight or moon....learn to drop a duce laying down without moving sometimes in awkwardly uncomfortable proximity to someone else.... Not sleeping for 2-3 days at a time cuz someone thinks it's fun....

F
I'll bite...

Ghillie construction can be taught in school... @TheGerman hit most the big points anyway.

The art and the part that is hard to teach is stalking/hiding. Comes from being able to create an optical illusion where you disappear from eyesight not so much because your completely covered but because you have managed to blend in with your ever changing surroundings. If your first untrained instinct is that's a great place to hide, its also the first place most people will be looking for you.

If there is one big distinct bush in a field that offers you amazing concealment for example, that's the first place the opfor will be looking for you. You need to be able to be hidden in plain sight... Lots of ways to do that.

Let's see some other overkooked finer points.....

Cardio x3 as mentioned plus cardio carrying a bunch of crap for some reason that needs to be moved some unreasonable distance then to be told, you and that crap now need to be moved somewhere else way hell on the other side of map at 230 hrs with no starlight or moon....learn to drop a duce laying down without moving sometimes in awkwardly uncomfortable proximity to someone else.... Not sleeping for 2-3 days at a time cuz someone thinks it's fun....

For sure, thank you for that. I recently received some papers from a serving sniper that I contacted with a few drills I can practise, one of those would help with cardio training as you said.
It’s like a 8 mile speed March with 60kg in the bag which has to be completed within 2 hours. So I’ll be slowly working up to that in the time I have to train before I join up.
Thanks for your help :)

Also go into the program knowing the only way you are leaving is when you make your goal or they are carrying you out. And as said earlier the entry PT test is nothing compared to what you'll have to endure to succeed in this type of military training. Your body is capable of so much more than you know. Just keep moving.

Also know the shooting math cold before you go and how to read a paper map using UTM grid you need to be confident in the background stuff so you can concentrate on the finer points.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
This is great. Thank you, Lowlight. I think we all really needed that. More so than the brief entertainment we all expected. I hope Josh one day realizes what Mr. Galli did for him there.

I would also reccomend this excellent book. Not for the fundamental knowledge, which it certainly contains, but for the personal revelations that really offer an insight into what is required for what this young man seeks.

Precision Rifle Marksmanship: The Fundamentals - A Marine Sniper's Guide to Long Range Shooting: A Marine Sniper's Guide to Long Range Shooting https://www.amazon.com/dp/1951115104/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_baLUFb1Y8XZY6

Last edited:
The Army will teach you that stuff.

What they need to have you do is stay in school and get your best grades possible than PT.......I mean like be the best runner, pushup, mountain climbing, burpee dude you can be.

You have beautiful open country in Britain....start by filling a pack with some gear and walk your legs into shape.

Dont worry about the other stuff.

Good grades and get in shape.

Should you meet a fine Welsh babe and she makes you change your mind all those brains will keep you from getting her pregnant and all that in shape will have her remembering you when she is in her 90s and you have moved on to some other fine babe.

PS if Saclee Rhino chimes in here with some field gear suggestions just tune him out.

Last edited:
Fuck the haters, most if not all aren’t school trained snipers. Good on you for learning about something you are interested in. The Brit army like our own no longer rewards the never-volunteer-for-anything-hide-and-be-the-gray-man. Join, be in great shape and take all opportunities that present themselves. Make your own if they don’t show up.

The German gave good advice. I’d check out viper hoods, covers what you need and won’t make you overheat walking around.

Brits can tab. Make sure you can too. Don’t want to be a muppet in the back with the ghillie and weak legs.

Looks like Frank saved the Hide from itself. Phew.

For @JoshZA: go for it. It's amazing how quickly as adults we underestimate what even ourselves could do when younger ... when I was your age, I did something (good, not notorious) that became nationally famous. Make it happen!

And gorse ... @beetroot, was it the Poms that brought it here, or the Scots?

Either way, I spend hours every week removing it, so am going to try to remember @TheGerman's wise words and quote them whenever anyone asks me why I say my hands feel like pincushions.

View attachment 7478894
you could just have them stand in front of you and I am sure nothing would care if you were in a suit not , one would see you :giggle: no sticks no leaves no assembly required just two girls dirt and water . Good luck making you Ghillie Suit I still think the girls would be way more fun maybe add bikini's and a bbq with cold beer ...
That is a whole lot like using a decoy dog for the yotes!

Reactions: acudaowner
One thing I'll add, STICK to your goals. A very good friend of mine has a son who grew up with dreams of being a SEAL. Eagle Scout, smoked the PT challenge at the national jamboree, and excellent GPA. As he got closer to high school graduation, he hooked with a girl. She completely wrapped him around her finger and he bailed on his military ideas. Then after a year or so, he got smart and kicked her to the curb over drugs. Luckily he still is looking into the military and will be joining soon.

Moral, learn everything you can but ass comes and goes. Don't let ANYTHING stop you from your dreams. Assholes here to girls, only you can stop you.

NEVER QUIT...

Cardio is a must.
Get into some orienteering, trekking clubs. That will sort your navigation out, and you'll meet good blokes and chicks there too.
Mountain Safety course would be good, and First Aid Course.
Part of the testing phase involves navigation and orientation under pressure.
I guarantee you that only the DS will have a GPS.
Learn your navigation, that's where joining an orienteering club will come in.
You will be streaks ahead of others, if you are fit and able to navigate on the move.
This will also hold you in good stead at the Depot during your Basic.
NCO's are trained to notice recruits that have "common dog fuck."
Be a team player.
Assist your fellow recruits.
Rambo is Hollywood fiction.
Teams overcome individuals
Depending on your circumstances, join the TA before going career Army.
Your ghillie ain't bad, carry on researching.
If able, get to the Brecon Beacons, but don't go there alone when learning navigation.
Remember to keep a smile on your dial.😉
All The Best

I believe the term is "patient suffering". Another is "self-imposed hardship". Basically...embrace the suck. That is some good advice.

Beware of some manufacturers of camouflage clothing. Seriously, some of them are practicing false advertising. Look at some of their photos.

They don't show anything but grass, trees, other vegetation and rocks. How the heck can you pick out their clothing?

b7f40038327795893c05402290e3aee8d161cd91d77a13f241a9a469c460fe39.jpg

As far as your suit goes, GHILLIE WASH!!! For real though drag it through the mud and dirt then spray it off with a hose and hang it out to dry. It'll help mute the bright new colors and make it more of a natural tone. There are also a few bare spots that can be filled in. you can alternate the size of the strips of fabric you used to help break up your outline more. ghillie suits are about blending in yes, but more importantly they help break up your outline and make you look less like a guy standing in the woods. try adding in larger and small strips of fabric in.

And we broke contact.

Maybe he thinks I was trying to Grindr hook up.

Oh well, wife sucked me into a refi with money out for a kitchen addition, or maybe a summer home, or maybe private school for the kids now that public finally died after a 40 year illness........whatever I'm a poor now.

I believe the term is "patient suffering". Another is "self-imposed hardship". Basically...embrace the suck. That is some good advice.
Yup.
The joys of a heavy Bergen, shit terrain, tight timelines, irritating and seemingly mindless tasks.
Whip Me,
Beat Me,
Fuck Me.
And..... roll on the next day.......
Seen a lot of "Hard Men" blow their arses by not being pack fit.

In his book, Herbert McBride had some advice for would-be snipers in a future war. In order for a rifleman to hone his skills at stalking and marksmanship, CPT McBide advised the reader to take up hunting...

“I suppose that in this day and age, the most readily available live animal upon which to practice will be the common woodchuck or ground-hog. From personal experience I can testify that excellent stalking practice may be gotten by anyone who will really stalk woodchuck, and not merely use them as a long-range rifle target.

In recent years I have talked with a great many woodchuck hunters, many of whom told me what excellent “hunters” they were and what splendid shots and kills they made. Mostly at the longer ranges running up to three hundred yards. I never bother to explain to them that it was rifle practice they had been getting and not hunting practice at all.

Those of you who wish to learn the art of stalking under such conditions must hold your fire until you have stalked forward to within thirty to forty yards; which may readily be done in any hilly or rolling country, or where the grass or other cover is of any height. Too easy a shot, do you say?

Well then: use a light .22 rifle and hold for the eye, or else take a running shot offered in the few yards distance our ‘chuck will be from his den. The idea I am trying to put over is that you must get your rifle practice on the paper target and your stalking practice on the woodchuck or other available live game.”

- A Rifleman Went to War by H.W. McBride © 1935 (pages 300-301)

mcbridepic.png

Checkout KickinMustang’s youtube videos, he’s a UK? air soft guru on concealment. His videos are pretty cool people walk right on him and get shot in the back and stuff.

A good ghillie, and airsoft have little to do with the military and less to do with sniping.

It’s mostly being intelligent and fit enough to be self reliable, loyal and trustworthy enough to have less supervision, it’s mostly observe and report. Every so often it’s overwatch which could involve shooting but usually not.

Read, read, read and understand. Get a local mentor who has experience at the school you are looking to attend. Any shooting clubs you can visit for info? Ghillie Suit is a base, natural vegetation is the key to blending in to your environment. Natural veg can change as you stalk. As long as you keep something between you and your target, then you can stalk in a yellow shirt without being seen.
Don't forget to BRAG about your shooting skill.
Breathe, Relax, Aim, Gently squeeze when pulling the trigger.
PM inbound with more specific info...

Read, read, read and understand. Get a local mentor who has experience at the school you are looking to attend. Any shooting clubs you can visit for info? Ghillie Suit is a base, natural vegetation is the key to blending in to your environment. Natural veg can change as you stalk. As long as you keep something between you and your target, then you can stalk in a yellow shirt without being seen.
Don't forget to BRAG about your shooting skill.
Breathe, Relax, Aim, Gently squeeze when pulling the trigger.
PM inbound with more specific info...
Yeah thanks for the help!
It’s really appreciated. :)

@JoshZA

Replied to your PM.

Send delivery address so I can get your book in route.

Prefer a lad to read Penthouse but this will do.

Reactions: Ravenworks
@JoshZA

Replied to your PM.

Send delivery address so I can get your book in route.

Prefer a lad to read Penthouse but this will do.
You know, one minute you’re asking a 16 year old on the internet for his address...

...then you have to tell all your neighbors about “the list” and your house gets skipped on Halloween. 😂

I don't live on Epstein Island.

By the way.....are you aware he didn't kill himself?

Reactions: Anb618