• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ghost peppers

I personally love hot foods. There is a bbq place in a town near us that has multiple different bbq sauces from mild to hot. Their hottest is made with ghost peppers. You have to ask for it and they only bring a small sample cup out. All the others are in squeeze bottles on the table. The ghost pepper sauce is one of my favorites.

Long time ago my mom had a small peper plant she gave me thought it was ti chillies.
Smelled great so I decided to make a hot sause with them.
Put a bunch of stuff in the blender with them and vinagar with some oil.
Hit the switch and ran everybody and the dogs out of the house.

Opened the doors and let it air out, not working.
Held my breath grabbed it and ran outside blender and all, threw it over the fence.

It killed the damn grass.

Had millspec gas training that didn't compare to that stuff.
I burnt for days and never touched it.
Looked like a mini ti chilie?

Think I will stick to the "o's", Serrano, pablono, habbenjero, jalapeño, thank you very much.

Think I will stick to the "o's", Serrano, pablono, habbenjero, jalapeño, thank you very much.

Oh I got a good serrano pepper story. This happened back when one of my sons was about 3 or 4 years old (I honestly don't remember which one it was that did this). Anyways, he loved to watch myself or my wife cook in the kitchen. I was making hamburgers and I like to dice up jalapenos, serranos, and habaneros for my burger. Long story short, my son saw me eating the peppers as I was cutting them and he reached up and before I could catch him in time, he grabbed a serrano and took a bite. The look on his face was priceless! Glad that didn't scare him away from peppers. Maybe he'll grow up to be like his dad and stream himself eating ghost peppers for the internet. :D

I have seen some little kids that will eat hot chili like candy.

My dog loves hot chili. If there is a big pot of green chili in the fridge, he will stand beside you sniff longingly when you open the refrigerator. The other night the wife made some cheese sauce and diced up 4 of our jalps in the small cereal bowl. My jalpenos this year have been like russian roulette. One will be bell pepper heat level, next atomic holy shit did you plant that next to the habaneros. Well, she must have grabbed four of the AHSP {atomic holy shit peppers} because this cheese sauce was HOTT! We took about the top 1/3rd off it with our vegetable tray, but I had to get some ranch to cool it down. It was late and we went to bed leaving the last 2/3rds of the cheese sauce on the coffee table. Next morning, the bowl is licked clean. Not a piece of pepper or drop of cheese left. I asked him if he did it, and he looked at me guiltily, as only a dog can.... LOL.

I have seen some little kids that will eat hot chili like candy.

My dog loves hot chili. If there is a big pot of green chili in the fridge, he will stand beside you sniff longingly when you open the refrigerator. The other night the wife made some cheese sauce and diced up 4 of our jalps in the small cereal bowl. My jalpenos this year have been like russian roulette. One will be bell pepper heat level, next atomic holy shit did you plant that next to the habaneros. Well, she must have grabbed four of the AHSP {atomic holy shit peppers} because this cheese sauce was HOTT! We took about the top 1/3rd off it with our vegetable tray, but I had to get some ranch to cool it down. It was late and we went to bed leaving the last 2/3rds of the cheese sauce on the coffee table. Next morning, the bowl is licked clean. Not a piece of pepper or drop of cheese left. I asked him if he did it, and he looked at me guiltily, as only a dog can.... LOL.

I know that guilty look all to well.

"what happened to that stuffed chair?"
"How dod all those holes get in the yard?'
"Who chewed holes in the Honeydew melons?"
"WTF happened to my slipper?"

I know that guilty look all to well.

"what happened to that stuffed chair?"
"How dod all those holes get in the yard?'
"Who chewed holes in the Honeydew melons?"
"WTF happened to my slipper?"

LOL, dogs. You should have seen this guy eating a taco salad shell the other day. He was nibbling at it with his from teeth like eating corn on cob. 75lb dog could have eaten it on one bite, but no, he savors it. I have never seen a dog do that before.

images

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I like "spicy" but there is a point past which things are so hot I can no longer really taste the food because the heat overpowers my sense of taste. I don't enjoy food that is so hot I can no longer taste it. For me, fresh cayenne peppers is just about right. I can taste the food, and the sweetness of the cayenne along with it's heat. Jalepeno isn't as sweet as fresh cayenne for me.

This year's garden has four cayenne, one Habanero, and one Scotch Bonnet plants. Those should be enough to get me through until next year's crop. I will probably make my lime chili sauce out of most of the scotch bonnet and Habanero.

Lime Chili sauce: Take the hot peppers, wash, dry and de-stem. Put a liter, or fifth of vodka in a blender along with the peppers and grind them up. Put this in the refrigerator for about a month, shaking it up every couple of days. After a month, strain it all through paper coffee filters to get out the solids. The alcohol will act as a solvent to dissolve most of the capsaicin. Add an equal amount of lime juice to the pepper vodka and you are all done. The vodka acts as a preservative, but I keep it refrigerated. A few drops on fish is just wonderful. Because most of the alcohol evaporates off, foods get the lime pepper flavor. You can mix a little with gin or vodka for a spicy martini type drink, or add some to a bloody mary.

Last edited:
I went from the idea of “the hotter the better” in my youth to “it still has to taste good” now. So, I really like eating cayenne peppers, poblano, jalapeños (on pizza & nachos), serranos & chile pequins. I like them raw, grilled (w/ seeds) & mixed w/ foods.

Years ago I was at a softball tournament & I watched a guy eating chile pequins like skittles. The dude ate a small ziplock bag full of pequins a handful at a time.

What most don't understand about "heat from peppers" and some can't due to one reason or another, is that peppers have a lot of flavor. When your mouth is 'acclimated' to the "heat feeling" then you can actually taste the different pepper flavors. And there are a lot of them. Not unlike the many different flavors of ice-cream. Except all ice-cream is cold/freezing. (not freeze-dried,,, that's a different story)

The various flavors, and the varying 'strengths' of said flavors actually DO add a lot to the dishes, when done properly. Alas, most people don't ever get to appreciate that, simply because all they are detecting is "it burns....!"

As with pretty much everything else in life, there truly is SO MUCH MORE to the story than just the cover. One needs to take the time to actually read the book in order to know what the story is about.

That is part of the reason why it takes me over a year to make my hot-sauce. Simply because, it isn't just 'bottled flame'.

Compare this, with the analogy of "The owning of a Sears-Roebuck rifle does NOT a sniper make."

Now, all the sudden,,,, there's a lightbulb going on in some peoples heads, right? Heat race is one thing, flavor is another. Which discussion would you like to have? Rapid-fire is one thing, precision is another. Which discu..........

What most don't understand about "heat from peppers" and some can't due to one reason or another, is that peppers have a lot of flavor. When your mouth is 'acclimated' to the "heat feeling" then you can actually taste the different pepper flavors. And there are a lot of them. Not unlike the many different flavors of ice-cream. Except all ice-cream is cold/freezing. (not freeze-dried,,, that's a different story)

The various flavors, and the varying 'strengths' of said flavors actually DO add a lot to the dishes, when done properly. Alas, most people don't ever get to appreciate that, simply because all they are detecting is "it burns....!"

As with pretty much everything else in life, there truly is SO MUCH MORE to the story than just the cover. One needs to take the time to actually read the book in order to know what the story is about.

That is part of the reason why it takes me over a year to make my hot-sauce. Simply because, it isn't just 'bottled flame'.

Compare this, with the analogy of "The owning of a Sears-Roebuck rifle does NOT a sniper make."

Now, all the sudden,,,, there's a lightbulb going on in some peoples heads, right? Heat race is one thing, flavor is another. Which discussion would you like to have? Rapid-fire is one thing, precision is another. Which discu..........

Despite making your own, if you havent, try Melinda's Red Savina. Hot, but lots of flavor.

Id relish (no pun) any tips on making the sauce...Ive got a bush just full of Habaneros.

Sounds like somebody I worked with about 20 years ago. He claimed there was no hot sauce too hot for him to eat. Well, someone brought in a sauce made from capsicum extract. Not only was it too hot for him to eat, but he didn't wash his hands, got some in an eye and in another "sensitive" body part. He was in such misery that he left work early.

I have a buddy who called me one day and says I have something for you to try. I said what. He said have you heard of the reaper challenge and asked if I wanted to. I said why the fuck would I want to do that. To make a long story short. I said yes. He said the longest he has seen is like 7min without taking a drink. I said ok. I went 45min without a drink. Holy fuck. It even burned coming out the next day. I had no taste buds for like 5 days. I ate extra hot hot Saunders on some eggs the next day and couldn't even taste it.
As for the capsicum. I work in the food plant. We make salsa there and have capsicum. We just got doing a clean up with caustic and everything switching to spaghetti sauce. I thought the table was all cleaned off and layed my arm in it. Lit my whole arm on fire. I also knew someone who used the bathroom. Lol he didn't know what to do. I couldn't help but laugh my ass off.

Reactions: 12Bravo