• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Glassaholic's History of Reviews

No, you're definitely correct.

I have a 7-35 ATACR & I typically use 16-20x, particularly when there is mirage. I took it out to 1,336 yards two weekends ago & stayed @ 18x the whole time & didn't think twice about it... I rarely shoot @ 25x. Everything above 25x is for shooting paper <200yd & seeing the groups without walking to check the target.

The only time I'd like to have a lot of magnification on a hunting rifle is if I was trying to take the largest ram out of pack of Auodad or biggest cow from elk herd. You'd most likely be shooting long range & need some magnification to see which is the largest ram or cow while you're glassing them. Then I'd put up with the extra 4oz.

eta: for what it's worth, the 5-25x ATACR has the worst glass of the entire ATACR line, so stay away from that one.
^^^ This is spot on! Too many guys think they need lots of magnification to shoot far. All these new 7-35's, 6-36's, 8-40's, etc. are not because guys are shooting 3 mile targets using 40x, if you're shooting anywhere outside you are going to deal with atmospheric conditions do not play nicely with magnification.

PS - I love your signature quote, I have thought about leaving the Hide because I agree - this site has caused me to spend way more money on shooting than I ever thought I would a decade ago. That being said, I have also learned a lot more about shooting and am much better educated than I was a decade ago. If I could go back in time to a ten year younger self there would be a lot of advice that I would give that I wish I had then ;)

Reactions: R_A_W
if you're shooting anywhere outside you are going to deal with atmospheric conditions do not play nicely with magnification
I actually decided last weekend that ATACR is the highest magnification I'd ever own. Conditions are only good enough maybe 5 of my shooting days each year to even use it. It's a spotting scope with a receiver under it. Future purchases will probably top out in the 18-20x range.

this site has caused me to spend way more money on shooting than I ever thought I would a decade ago.
I see how much you spend on glass & I'm speechless... until I start adding up what I've spent this year, on stuff I won't see until well into 2024

• Haha
Reactions: Glassaholic
Where would the Zeiss LRP S3 4x25x50 fit in comparing these two scopes considering street prices?
I'd sure like to see how the $2299.99 Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 34mm compares to the $1494.00 Tract Toric ELR 34mm 4-25x50 version of that scope. Also curious to see how the new $1999.99 Element Nexus Gen 2 4-25x50 30mm compares to them as well.

I’d like to see your “Best Value” list in each category.

You pick the categories.
Oh wow, okay. Probably the reason I've never done this is because there are so many caveats to "best" so I will rename this to recommendations - what would I recommend based on each category. Here are some categories I am thinking of, if someone else has some ideas of other categories please share, I only care about FFP scopes, so no need to ask, if you want SFP then go over to Rokslide or LongRangeHunter as plenty of guys over there can give you advice on SFP and how many inches to hold over ;).
  • Long range scopes (>= 24x max mag)
  • Heavy Crossover scopes (30-35 oz, low mag <=4.5x, high mag >= 15x)
  • Light Crossover scopes (<30 oz, low mag <=4.5x, high mag >= 15x)
  • Ultra Short scopes (<35 oz, low mag <=5x, high mag >= 18x)
  • MPVO scopes SPR/DMR for AR platform (<32 oz, low mag <=5x, high mag >= 12x)
  • LPVO*
Within each of the above categories I will also have the following sub-classes:
  1. High Alpha Class (>$4k MSRP)
  2. Low Alpha Class ($3k - $4k MSRP)
  3. Mid Class ($1500 - $3k MSRP)
  4. Budget Class (<$1500 MSRP)
  5. Biden Class (<$1k MSRP)
Within each of the above classes I'm going to have an Olympic style ranking:
  1. Gold Medal
  2. Silver Medal
  3. Bronze Medal
This will allow me to choose my top 3 recommendations and I will also explain why I chose what I did, keeping in mind the rankings are subjective based on my preferences, what I rank as Bronze may be someone else's Gold because they have different preferences for example.

* I honestly do not have enough experience with LPVO's to give reasonable recommendations, there are plenty of other experts here who can offer much better advise than I when it comes to this niche category.

Last edited:
Glassaholic Really appreciate you putting the time into doing these reviews. I've enjoyed every single one and have learned a great deal about optics! Thank you!

Reactions: Bill 911
Glassaholic Really appreciate you putting the time into doing these reviews. I've enjoyed every single one and have learned a great deal about optics! Thank you!
Appreciate that Knuckles, illness has kept me out of the picture for a bit but hoping to do more in 2024, wanting to start a youtube channel but proving harder than it seems, mostly because I’m a perfectionist and my videos are anything but so I need to learn to let that go to get content out in a timely manner.

Appreciate that Knuckles, illness has kept me out of the picture for a bit but hoping to do more in 2024, wanting to start a youtube channel but proving harder than it seems, mostly because I’m a perfectionist and my videos are anything but so I need to learn to let that go to get content out in a timely manner.

WHAT!!! You pay attention to details, double ck b4 you open your mouth, you wait and don't release results until you are sure?

This is an outrage!!

• Haha
I appreciate the time that you spend on the reviews. You are providing useful information, not trying to sell some product.

A guy who researches, questions, expending a tremendous amout of effort spelling out the little details to help others while saving them a boatload of money w/o asking anything in return, will never be that kind of guy.

You'll be the only guy saying that about you Glassaholic, so my respect/compliments for the work you've put in.

Take Care.

I know many of you have been waiting a long time for my Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 review and it is almost done, I could go on and on about why it's taken so long but let's just say work, weather and illness have not been my best friend the past 5 months.

I just received a Schmidt 6-36x56 and a friend is sending me his TT 7-35x56 for review, I plan to also throw in my RG3 6-36x56 as well as a mystery scope that I cannot yet reveal, but I'd love to round this out with a NF ATACR 7-35 just for posterity, if you all know someone who might be willing to offer one up to the reviewing consortium please let me know ;)

Reactions: R_A_W and Ronws
I know many of you have been waiting a long time for my Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 review and it is almost done, I could go on and on about why it's taken so long but let's just say work, weather and illness have not been my best friend the past 5 months.

I just received a Schmidt 6-36x56 and a friend is sending me his TT 7-35x56 for review, I plan to also throw in my RG3 6-36x56 as well as a mystery scope that I cannot yet reveal, but I'd love to round this out with a NF ATACR 7-35 just for posterity, if you all know someone who might be willing to offer one up to the reviewing consortium please let me know ;)
I'm curious to see your review, I just picked up a t6 3-18 and I'm not a fan of the glass at all. My eyes don't cooperate with it at all.

I'm curious to see your review, I just picked up a t6 3-18 and I'm not a fan of the glass at all. My eyes don't cooperate with it at all.
I would say fiddle with the diopter a bit and try fine tuning it some, but could be a dud that slipped through QC or possibly your eyes just don’t like it as that sometimes happens depending on multi-coating, glass hugh, etc.

I would say fiddle with the diopter a bit and try fine tuning it some, but could be a dud that slipped through QC or possibly your eyes just don’t like it as that sometimes happens depending on multi-coating, glass hugh, etc.
I’ve played with the diopter. Got the reticle a little better, but not great. I don’t think it’s a dud. I had some buddies look through it and they seemed to like it and think it was good. I’m just guessing my eyes don’t like the glass. Which is a shame. I love everything else about the optic.

I’ve played with the diopter. Got the reticle a little better, but not great. I don’t think it’s a dud. I had some buddies look through it and they seemed to like it and think it was good. I’m just guessing my eyes don’t like the glass. Which is a shame. I love everything else about the optic.
I hear you, that's how I am with the old "blue tint" Japanese glass we used to get, by and large the Japanese OEM's have largely moved to a much more neutral tint (except for Sig Sauer it appears).

My review for the Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 is finally up! Thank you all for your patience, this was a rough winter for me on all fronts so took longer than I hoped.

Also, my next review is the new alpha class long range review and I have all the high end scopes I want (S&B, TT, NF, RG3, etc.) except for the ZCO 8-40, if any of you have this scope sitting around and wouldn't mind being without it for a few weeks please let me know ;)

Latest update, I am almost ready for my high magnification (35x and higher max magnification) alpha class review. Last call for anyone with a ZCO 8-40x56, I would love to get this in here, I have spoken with ZCO but they are unable to get me a scope in time for the review and I only have limited time as some of the other scopes are on loan. On the bright side, I've been able to source a Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 so will be curious to see how this "budget" scope (compared to the others) will stack up.

Latest update, I am almost ready for my high magnification (35x and higher max magnification) alpha class review. Last call for anyone with a ZCO 8-40x56, I would love to get this in here, I have spoken with ZCO but they are unable to get me a scope in time for the review and I only have limited time as some of the other scopes are on loan. On the bright side, I've been able to source a Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 so will be curious to see how this "budget" scope (compared to the others) will stack up.
I was hoping to see something on the Zeiss. Looking forward to this review.

Tag for sb 6-36 vs Tt 7-35
How about this
IMG_8547.jpeg

that will be a nice review!
And thanks for the effort! Going in though I’d say the odds of my next purchase from left to right are 1% 49% 49% 1% 0% 0%

Just can’t make up my mind…

• Haha
Reactions: TheOE800
Very much looking forward to this. I suspect the Razor Gen 3 and Theos will perform surprisingly well
Surprisingly well, yes. If I can get over my procrastination with youtube I’d like to post a video with a brief summary of all the scopes. It will take me a while to fo my detailed writeup.

Looking forward to your take on the 7-35 ATACR. With how strong the fan base is it seems hard to find objective opinions. But I suspect they wouldn't be as popular as they are if they weren't at least competitive.
I was pleasantly surprised with the ATACR 7-35, it is the oldest scope in the bunch and did very well.